Jump to content
IvyLarae

What are some of your pet peeves?

Recommended Posts

Just now, halebore Aeon said:

I do miss PocketShop and PocketGacha. I loved the HUD shopping.

I said something about it when it came out. Got greeted with “Nooooo! I enjoy the shopping experience!!!”

I was sitting there like: you enjoy being in a laggy place, rubber banding, waiting for vendors to load, etc, etc?”

Apparently, we were in the minority and people really do enjoy those things.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, halebore Aeon said:

I do miss PocketShop and PocketGacha. I loved the HUD shopping.

I only tried it once. For some reason the textures didn’t rez well for me and there weren’t enough items per page to keep me interested. I attached it, poked it a few times, waited, then just threw it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2019 at 11:35 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh, and while I'm on a roll . . .

What's with this new thing for "peak-a-boo" sweaters and tops? I don't mean really short tops that end half way down the breast, revealing large expanses of both under-boobs: those have been around forever. What I'm talking about are the ones where just one side of the sweater has just "happened" to "sneak" up over one breast, displaying under-boob or even a bit more, sometimes?

This isn't really a peeve, because I don't actually really care, and it affects me not at all. I'm not judgy even a little bit!

No, really!

 

But Scylla, I was just sitting quietly on this bench when a stiff breeze came along and ... whoopsies!! 

Ghost

LOL! In all seriousness it’s pretty silly. In my defense in was a FLF deal, and you know I can’t pass those up easily!

Edited by Eva Knoller
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My newest peeve is the fact that two of the biggest female clothing makers have have been churning variations of jeans/tank top/cardigan or jacket/boots for every release for months and months! It all starts looking the same.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

In all seriousness it’s pretty silly. In my defense in was a FLF deal, and you know I can’t pass those up easily!

   In all seriousness, I don't think it really needs defending. Sure, I get that not all people are into the style of apparel, but no one is being forced to wear it against their will. Besides, this particular example, the choreography of the cut and movement of the cloth, and the wink of the Pacman-esque ghost, it's thought through and funny in a cheeky kind of way. And it does look good on you - it's not like the underside of your bosom being visible turns it into blatant pornography. My focus is drawn to the face in that shot, first and foremost!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Orwar said:

   In all seriousness, I don't think it really needs defending. Sure, I get that not all people are into the style of apparel, but no one is being forced to wear it against their will. Besides, this particular example, the choreography of the cut and movement of the cloth, and the wink of the Pacman-esque ghost, it's thought through and funny in a cheeky kind of way. And it does look good on you - it's not like the underside of your bosom being visible turns it into blatant pornography. My focus is drawn to the face in that shot, first and foremost!

Well thank you Orwar! I’m glad I pulled off underboob quite well. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when there was outrage over Emma Watson's "topless" photo shoot. That didn't sound like her, so I checked it out. Sure enough, there was no topless photograph. There was simply a high fashion photo shoot, with Vanity Fair I believe, in which she appeared in a number of outfits including one that revealed an inch or two of underboob. I tried really hard, but I just couldn't get worked up about it. Frankly, if I looked like that, I'd wear it to the fruit aisle in Tesco. 

That live action  version of Beauty and the Beast that she was promoting, now, that infuriated me. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eva Knoller said:

LOL! In all seriousness it’s pretty silly. In my defense in was a FLF deal, and you know I can’t pass those up easily!

I'm actually totally with Orwar on this: you really don't need to defend this! First, because I take "pet" peeve to mean something that is purely personal, second because god knows I am no arbiter of high (or low) fashion (I spent my first week after going all mesh collecting jeans and tee shirt appliers, ffs!), and thirdly because it does look good on you.

Actually, this isn't quite the sort of thing I meant anyway (although it's on the border, maybe). In the pieces I was talking about, there is a very pronounced difference in coverage from one side to the other.

Confession: you know those "clickable" outfits that you can get where your clothes sort of fall off you with every click? I may, just possibly, have demoed one. Just to see what it was like, of course . . .

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

god knows I am no arbiter

 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Confession: you know those "clickable" outfits that you can get where your clothes sort of fall off you with every click? I may, just possibly, have demoed one. Just to see what it was like, of course . . .

How utterly audacious of you!

Of course, I own half the inventory from stores that make those... 😝

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

How utterly audacious of you!

Well, I have my moments. I do occasionally wear green with orange. I when I'm feeling really daring, I wear white after Labour Day.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I do occasionally wear green with orange.

   I sometimes wear a little splash of red or green with my black. And, on very rare occasions, I'll wear white - but as I've previously stated, this costs extra.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

 

Confession: you know those "clickable" outfits that you can get where your clothes sort of fall off you with every click? I may, just possibly, have demoed one. Just to see what it was like, of course . . .

Yes! A friend let me click some of hers. It was actually quite fun to see what would happen next. 😁

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eva Knoller said:

It was actually quite fun to see what would happen next.

giphy.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a related note to peek-a-boo tops. There’s been a trend I just can’t get with: there’s been a trend of tops where the fabric ends at the breastbone. Could be long sleeved, could be short sleeved, but the fabric ends just above the breasts. They’re ultra crop tops.

Anyway, I’m usually live and let live when it comes to SL fashion. This one is a peeve because in my last life I was a front end supervisor at a big box store. A woman would come in there on random days, pull her shirt up and walk around the store with her girls out.

Since I was one of the few women there, they would come and get me. I had to talk to her. There were some mental issues there, obviously and probably some other things going on. So we’d have her in the back until the police came, they’d drop her off somewhere and a few weeks later, she’d be back.

Whenever I see those tops I think of that woman.

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

gasp.gif.579b0c71b50c876f4d6d0c426198c185.gif

I find it rather amusing that we're discussing my fashion timidity here, alongside a thread in which I am characterized as "audacious."

/me snorts (in an appropriately lady-like manner, of course)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tops that bother me are the strapless ones that are absolutely gravity-defying. Super-tight, just barely covering the nip, the side-boobs hang out... and we're just supposed to pretend that's realistic in any way? 

It makes me uncomfortable because it just wouldn't work without superglue and staples. 

No, you know what? Not even then. The fabric would just rip. ARGH. I want my ho-wear to be at least realistic ho-wear!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

On a related note to peek-a-boo tops. There’s been a trend I just can’t get with: there’s been a trend of tops where the fabric ends at the breastbone. Could be long sleeved, could be short sleeved, but the fabric ends just above the breasts. They’re ultra crop tops.

Anyway, I’m usually live and let live when it comes to SL fashion. This one is a peeve because in my last life I was a front end supervisor at a big box store. A woman would come in there on random days, pull her shirt up and walk around the store with her girls out.

Since I was one of the few women there, they would come and get me. I had to talk to her. There were some mental issues there, obviously and probably some other things going on. So we’d have her in the back until the police came, they’d drop her off somewhere and a few weeks later, she’d be back.

Whenever I see those tops I think of that woman.

 

Yep, even with a top underneath for modesty it just looks weird. Like, why even bother?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an ultra-crop long sleeved top. Mostly for when I want sleeves and the top I’m wearing them doesn’t have any. I don’t want to wear a second full top or to change my top, just add some sleeves. I know it’s weird. But it works. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

/me snorts (in an appropriately lady-like manner, of course)

I will be sending you a cease and desist because I have the trademark (™), copyright (©),  publishing rights (℗), Service Mark (℠) and Registration (®) on lady-snorts. Same as Linden Lab has on the word Soon™℠℗©®

~Snorts~

Edited by Alyona Su

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, here’s a peeve have. I’ve thought about it and there’s not a very graceful way to say it. I’m uneasy around people who tend to overshare TMI about their lifestyles, their illnesses, their relationship issues, job situation etc. I feel like if they don’t know at least some good social boundaries, that doesn’t bode well for our future interactions. I’m not a heartless git who just thinks people should talk polite and idle superficialities but there’s a time and a place. If I have just met you, I don’t want to hear about your sugar daddy, your upcoming eviction OR your itchy rash. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Ok, here’s a peeve have. I’ve thought about it and there’s not a very graceful way to say it. I’m uneasy around people who tend to overshare TMI about their lifestyles, their illnesses, their relationship issues, job situation etc. I feel like if they don’t know at least some good social boundaries, that doesn’t bode well for our future interactions. I’m not a heartless git who just thinks people should talk polite and idle superficialities but there’s a time and a place. If I have just met you, I don’t want to hear about your sugar daddy, your upcoming eviction OR your itchy rash. 

I don't have a problem with people sharing things. It starts getting peevish when they start fishing for sympathy or advice; you give them the sympathy or advice or whatever it is they're after and they go back to it after you moved on.

 

still whining.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time for some more peeves:

New skin or makeup releases without system layers. Please, it's been months now, and making a system layer takes maybe five seconds. Offer appliers if you have to but at this point there is no excuse for not having system layers. And on that same topic...

New clothes releases without alpha masks. Screw right off with that unless your rigging is perfect and does in fact not clip anywhere in common animations.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

New skin or makeup releases without system layers. Please, it's been months now, and making a system layer takes maybe five seconds. Offer appliers if you have to but at this point there is no excuse for not having system layers. And on that same topic...

New clothes releases without alpha masks. Screw right off with that unless your rigging is perfect and does in fact not clip anywhere in common animations.

I so agree about skins and makeup. Who is still buying applier-based textures? Just because they've got an inventory full of obsolete content doesn't make it any less obsolete, and buying more of it doesn't make it any more viable in the future.

As to clothing items that lack alpha masks, I've taken to creating my own and sending them with the full perm texture to the clothing creator, explaining how easy it is to do, and how valuable it is to the customer. Some completely get it. Others are confused because there's a major male avatar mesher who doesn't quite understand BoM and is still relying on an alpha cuts HUD. (I tried to explain it to that avatar mesher, too, but it was pretty clear they weren't interested in technical suggestions.)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...