What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Marut72 said:

Damn you iPhone, but I will take full responsibility because I’m the leader of this army!!

Auto-correct, for me, always wants to change "Gorean" to "Korean". I have to be really careful. If I ever appear to be slanging off East Asians, I promise it's actually directed at John Nobhead and his barmy army. 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Auto-correct, for me, always wants to change "Gorean" to "Korean". I have to be really careful. If I ever appear to be slanging off East Asians, I promise it's actually directed at John Nobhead and his barmy army. 

Well... there's bound to have been a few Korean women to have been kidnapped and taken to a planet, hidden from the view of government satellites, on the other side of the sun. A planet with lower gravity than Earth, yet bigger and stronger men while the women remain weak and subservient to all men, but, just a few. And we all know that on lower gravity planets it is quite the opposite as proven by science and astronauts. Humans on a lower gravity planet would lose mass to compensate for the lower gravity, including, but not limited to, muscle mass. Just as humans on a planet that had slightly higher gravity than Earth would compensate, over time, to strengthen bones to be able to carry that mass. Call it the Evolution Revolution.

A university professor debunks a lot of science in a bunch of paperback books "written" as fiction. Okay.

AfraidIdealCommongonolek-max-1mb.gif

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Well... there's bound to have been a few Korean women to have been kidnapped and taken to a planet, hidden from the view of government satellites, on the other side of the sun. A planet with lower gravity than Earth, yet bigger and stronger men while the women remain weak and subservient to all men, but, just a few. And we all know that on lower gravity planets it is quite the opposite as proven by science and astronauts. Humans on a lower gravity planet would lose mass to compensate for the lower gravity, including, but not limited to, muscle mass. Just as humans on a planet that had slightly higher gravity than Earth would compensate, over time, to strengthen bones to be able to carry that mass. Call it the Evolution Revolution.

A university professor debunks a lot of science in a bunch of paperback books "written" as fiction. Okay.

I also have read the scientific journal titled "John Carter of Mars" :P

(You're completely right, of course.)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Particles. Especially when you land and the client implodes and closing to desktop before you have a chance to PK the particles.

You do know you can set Particle Count to zero in your viewer settings, yes? Just saying.

12 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

You do know you can set Particle Count to zero in your viewer settings, yes? Just saying.

I'm aware of that. But like my comment above I didn't have a chance to zero out the count before the client crashed and burn.

Another thing I ran into recently was someone using a mesh type poofer that was lagging many and zeroing out the particle count didn't help in that case.

11 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:
On 12/8/2019 at 4:33 AM, Alyona Su said:

I'm aware of that. But like my comment above I didn't have a chance to zero out the count before the client crashed and burn.

Another thing I ran into recently was someone using a mesh type poofer that was lagging many and zeroing out the particle count didn't help in that case.

Your pet peeve was "Particles." (Note the period) - My point being: set it to zero and leave it at zero. Otherwise it would be a peeve of your own creation, would it not? LOL

• Confused 1

I like reading the pet peeves. It says a lot about someone, the things that annoy them. Mine too about me, of course! 😹

• One word conversation (non)starters, I don’t reply to those anymore. I use the ‘autoreply to everyone’ feature most of the time and I do go around with my chat window down when I’m traveling and sightseeing. 
  • The ‘like for like’ endeavors, of any kind. It’s a not so subtle form of social pressure and can become a real time sink if it’s ‘expected’ reciprocation on activities...how ‘bout ‘nope’ to that kind of obligation in my (and your) free time? Sometimes I get asked, “Why don’t you invite me/us to ____?” Because I guess I just assume ’if you wanted to come, you would’? 
  • Completely empty profile with no picks if you are over a month old. Not everyone is interested in filling them out and that’s fine but c’mon...you’ve found a couple of interesting pick locations to landmark, surely? 
  • Blaming the viewer or the UI (or or SL in general) for things you can control or mitigate yourself. It is much more productive and satisfying to take the position, “Hey this thing annoys me, how can I minimize the impact on me?” Those people I try to help.
  • People who judge your level of judge-y-ness harshly when we know full well that we all do it. It’s by degrees and everyone has their peculiar persnickety preferences. How you handle them when dealing with others is what I pay attention to. Are you kind, patient, tolerant of different opinions? Disagree graciously vs being disagreeable?
  • UI sounds. The clicks, button presses, bonks, dings, kachings, whooshes. Those mess with my immersion so I turned them off long ago. When I watch a video where someone has them on now it is very noticeable. I also turned off my TP screen, I like the sight of my avatar getting pulled across the grid and oddly, it helps me with general N-S, E-W world grid geography because you can often see the direction you are being pulled to. 
  • Grammar, spelling and punctuation sticklers. I haven’t  ever asked for a free critique in my conversational typing and if I can understand you, I’m good! For my own ‘important writings’ I have editors. I’m a Virgo. If I can refrain from it, so can everyone. 
  • Probably the most judgmental one - people who run SL on less than minimum system requirements, don’t practice any optimization of their own experience and don’t spend (in time, learning AND money) what they’d reasonably expect to spend on any other comparable form of entertainment, game or hobby yet complain to others that their SL experience is ‘not optimal’. 
    Addendum 
  • Float text. Including all the stuff over peoples heads. So of course I keep it all turned off. Sometimes with hilariously bad results and yep, it’s on me. (Still totally worth it)

Edited by Fauve Aeon
Addendum, Clarity
  • Like 3

On 12/12/2018 at 11:07 PM, IvyLarae said:

-Empty Profiles ( how hard is it to just put SOMETHING in there???)  I disagree - I like empty profiles because they make it easy to identify griefers, troublemakers, throw-away alts, and those just looking for sex

-Unreadable fancy fonts ( What is the point of that?! Half the time if I can't read it, then I'm gonna call you by your log in lol)  I concur, but even more of a peeve is that search doesn't recognize those fonts and so looking them up to ban them is harder.

- When your body parts don't match ( Like c'mon!!! Body appliers don't cost that much just...MAKE IT ALL MATCH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!)  For me, it's that mesh bodies are such a PITA to set up and that mesh clothes and the need to make body parts invisible make changing clothes more trouble than it's worth.  My girl logs me in to change my clothes when she's tired of looking at the same outfit.

This is a really fun thread.  I HATE THAT!

• Haha 3

I thought of a couple more:

1. People who come to my sim (or any really good public sim) and complain incessantly about lag.  FUTA.  I spend $209/mo to provide you with 30,000 prims of glorious fun, buy anything and everything people ask for in terms of games, toys, features, special events etc. and it runs fine on my no-graphics-card laptop using hotel wireless, and you come and blow up local chat complaining about lag, offering suggestions that, golly gee I never thought of, while you're the biggest script and memory hog on the sim and claim it couldn't POSSIBLY have anything to do with your computer or internet service?
  2. Anyone who posts "SL Secrets".  There is an oxygen shortage on this planet, so kindly stop using any and save it for people who deserve it.
  3. Blocking older viewers.  I get the need to do it, but MAN is it a pain when the block happens when I am traveling on business and can't get back on SL until I go back to the office and bully IT into letting me load a new viewer on my work laptop.
  4. People who ignore the messages that the old viewer is about to be blocked and then throw a hissy fit about the minor inconvenience created by their own sloth.
  5. Canadians and how they pronounce words like "hockey".  It's not "HAWK-ee"!  You don't wear "sawks"!  Learn to speak American!
  6. The French.  They think the entire world revolves around them, and that everyone should know everything that goes on in France and speak French and love France.  Who do they think they are, Americans?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I thought of a couple more:

1. People who come to my sim (or any really good public sim) and complain incessantly about lag.  FUTA. 

What does FUTA stand for? Google tells me it's Federal Unemployment Tax Act but that doesn't make sense in the context.

I tried to read SL Secrets once but honestly, it was indecipherable. I just admire anyone who can understand a word of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Amina Sopwith said:

What does FUTA stand for? Google tells me it's Federal Unemployment Tax Act but that doesn't make sense in the context.

I tried to read SL Secrets once but honestly, it was indecipherable. I just admire anyone who can understand a word of it.

Sorry,. should have been FYUTA.  F You Up The A.  The WL (without lube) is silent.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Sorry,. should have been FYUTA.  F You Up The A.  The WL (without lube) is silent.

Oh. I might have guessed that one, possibly. I figured it had to be very niche if Urban Dictionary didn't know. Actually, it did have a definition for "futa", but that didn't make sense in the context either.

• Haha 1

Today's pet peeve: 
  Searching the MP, only to find one particular merchant has used the same huge batch of spam keywords on every one of their products so that it fills up multiple pages of my search results yet do not come anywhere near actually matching what I am searching for.

That one ticked me off enough that I spent a full half hour flagging items.  I probably could have continued flagging for another two hours without running out of items.  I wish I could just flag the store, with a comment that explains the problem.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Searching the MP, only to find one particular merchant has used the same huge batch of spam keywords on every one of their products so that it fills up multiple pages of my search results yet do not come anywhere near actually matching what I am searching for.

You nailed it.  We need to be able to block stores in MP.  That's the way to crowd-source the cleanup of MP.  LL could include the number of blocks in the search algorithm to benefit others too.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Don't talk about your PM, or don't move to Canada?

You're welcome. We are very generous in our reception of refugees along our southern border.

Trudeau, on the other hand, even putting aside his embarrassing experiments with costume makeup, is like a chafed and painful sore on Canada's body politic that people keep insisting on touching. If you love us, leave it alone, and maybe it will just go away.

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You're welcome. We are very generous in our reception of refugees along our southern border.

Trudeau, on the other hand, even putting aside his embarrassing experiments with costume makeup, is like a chafed and painful sore on Canada's body politic that people keep insisting on touching. If you love us, leave it alone, and maybe it will just go away.

image.png.33d5d199e9d794e85b569752cd6f0eaa.png

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.