What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay, I've only read one page so far as I've not been in this thread yet.

I see not wearing a hairbase as one.

Okay, my pet peeve relates to hair in general.

A lot of the hair looks like wood to me.

Before I became a Dinkie recently and when I was a human, I found one hair I was really liking that looked soft, had good texture and a hairbase built-in, and that hair is Magika's new hairs of which she doesn't have that many...but the textures are alive looking and not so much like textured wood.  I know different lighting can help certain hair textures...but certain lighting to me is only good for photographs because it hurts my eyes.  Magika's new hairs, however, look great in any lighting...and that soft (non-wood) looking hair is what I would like to see new hairs in SL leaning towards.

Mostly, the hair textures themselves are terrible.  

As a human I mostly used Dela hair, though have a lot of different hairs from a lot of sources.

As a Dinkie, I will need hairs with an x, y and z menu because Dinkie heads are wider on the x axis and I'll be looking for softer looking hair and better textures.

But, I just wanted to state my pet peeve is hair looks too much like wood and the textures are not so good for the majority of hairs I've found (except Magika's whose textures are amazing in any light).  

Edited by FairreLilette

5 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

What blows me away is when I still hear the clippety-cloppety shoe sounds. I look around searching for the bling to go with.

Ooh ooh! I heard this just the other day, and the shoes did in fact include bling. I imagined that it was a person who just logged in for the first time since 2009, and was wandering around in mesh-induced confusion. I used to rock those blingy clicky shoes, so I was feeling very nostalgic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

So this next one isn’t exactly a peeve, but more of a head scratcher. Have some people with human avatars never looked at themselves in a mirror? Why are some arms so short that the fingertips barely brush their hip bone? I try not to judge people’s avatar choices, but so many avatars would look better with a realistic arm length.

I don't know how it's sexy to have arms that are literally t rex arms. Oh yes baby, let me get a feel of those maldeformed arms, that you can barely wipe your butt with. Lol. I try my best to make my avatar as proportionate as possible. Especially in the leg and arm areas. I don't want to have a proportionate body, and then my arms and legs look really off.

• Like 1

Ooh, blingy and cloppy shoes. I think I'd actually like to see those. It's like seeing someone out and about in RL in a shell suit and a mullet, or flares and platforms (though I think those are coming in again). I always kind of like seeing someone who dresses as if the last however many years didn't happen. I don't mean retro or vintage, I mean this person's been stuck in a stasis field for the last decade or more. I sort of root for them in a way.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

I don't know how it's sexy to have arms that are literally t rex arms. Oh yes baby, let me get a feel of those maldeformed arms, that you can barely wipe your butt with. Lol. I try my best to make my avatar as proportionate as possible. Especially in the leg and arm areas. I don't want to have a proportionate body, and then my arms and legs look really off.

Well, in fairness, we should also remember that the mob is not a very bright bunch and the default camera and its distortion that is show when editing one's shape is the first part of the problem, and that is zooms into whichever body part you're editing makes the issue even worse. So the real question is this: If it's a pet peeve that these avatars look this way, do you actually IM them and offer to help them fix it?

It's a rhetorical question provided as food for thought. Of all the peeves offered p through these pages, some of them are really personal issues of the one who's peeve it is. Though this one doesn't reach that level, but is at a level that it's only a peeve unless you do something about it.

JUST... thinking aloud here, it's okay to plonk me. :D

1 minute ago, Alyona Su said:

Well, in fairness, we should also remember that the mob is not a very bright bunch and the default camera and its distortion that is show when editing one's shape is the first part of the problem, and that is zooms into whichever body part you're editing makes the issue even worse. So the real question is this: If it's a pet peeve that these avatars look this way, do you actually IM them and offer to help them fix it?

It's a rhetorical question provided as food for thought. Of all the peeves offered p through these pages, some of them are really personal issues of the one who's peeve it is. Though this one doesn't reach that level, but is at a level that it's only a peeve unless you do something about it.

JUST... thinking aloud here, it's okay to plonk me. :D

To me, it feels like they are trying to look like someone with a physical deformity. But how rare is that in all actuality? But you literally have a community that does that, and you are thinking. Damn, parents DNA did not favour you in that area. xD

36 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

To me, it feels like they are trying to look like someone with a physical deformity. But how rare is that in all actuality? But you literally have a community that does that, and you are thinking. Damn, parents DNA did not favour you in that area. xD

I actually knew a man with Hypochondroplasia when I was a child (like 7 years-old or so) - of course, we were just children and children are truthful in a cruel way. We never teased him, though when we talked about it it wasn't pretty (we were generally scare of him, his right arm was literally infant-size.) Then one day he caught me off-guard and talked to be. It turned he's just a gentle-giant.

All in all, perhaps we shall just have to ask those people if this is what their avatars have (Hypochondroplasia). At the very least it could be a conversation-starter no?

Wait... I'm confused. I thought there was way too much emphasis placed on how avatars look in SL?! But now we are judging people based on looks? 

People who update their avatars and spend time (and money) on their looks are a pet peeve. People who don't update their avatars and spend time (or money) on their looks are a pet peeve. People who don't look like we think they should look are a pet peeve. People who don't care that we don't like that they don't look like we think they should look are a pet peeve. 

I think my pet peeve is inconsistency. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Wait... I'm confused. I thought there was way too much emphasis placed on how avatars look in SL?! But now we are judging people based on looks? 

People who update their avatars and spend time (and money) on their looks are a pet peeve. People who don't update their avatars and spend time (or money) on their looks are a pet peeve. People who don't look like we think they should look are a pet peeve. People who don't care that we don't like that they don't look like we think they should look are a pet peeve. 

I think my pet peeve is inconsistency. 

I really don't think it's inconsistency, I really don't mind if someone is mesh or system. Honestly that whole someone needs to wear mesh, just to look good. Is rather shallow to me. It's their SL after all. But it's not really a pet peeve, more of an OCD thing. Things that look out of place, or that look wrong will drive me bonkers. Trust me, I would drive my friends insane when they had a restaurant on a sim and all the tables and chairs were not straight. Having Asperger's you tend to notice those little things, and well you either ignore it or it just constantly bugs you and eats away at you. Like I will have to leave a sim if I see this. As I can get kinda annoying for my partner, I will incessantly complain about it. It's not a pet peeve, but merely a just an observational annoyance, that turns into a slight obsession.

My biggest pet peeve is folks who think it's totally okay to cam into my house, select "sit" on my posestand while I'm on it, and then follow up with a "Hi".  I mean, I'm assuming the instance I'm referencing was a newbie thing, but holy cats, in what world does it make sense to deliberately skirt the system to enter a residence, then strike up a one-word conversation with one of the occupants?  I... I guess I'm just old.  It baffles me.

Outside of that, most of my irritations in SL are self-inflected, like that time when I meant to pick up a string of fairy lights off the floor of my floating island, and instead picked up the floor itself (note: it's now locked).  Or when I put on a pair of sandals and my head came off.  Or that time yesterday when I don't know quite what I did, but I managed to remove every attachment from my head -- mesh, alpha layer, jaw, and mesh eyes -- resulting in the lovely look below.

Ajay Head Shape No Head_001.png

• Like 1

Another one of my pet peeves...is too much Moderate land is turning itself into Adult Content land and breaking the no nudity rules.  Nudity is for Adult land only from what I understand.   

It bothers me because I don't understand why.  Why not just get Adult land?

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Another one of my pet peeves...is too much Moderate land is turning itself into Adult Content land and breaking the no nudity rules.  Nudity is for Adult land only from what I understand.   

the Moderate rating has always been a grey area. However as far as it is understood it is the act of sexual conduct or promoting of it that is not allowed. Nudity in itself usually is fine. For example as silly as it sounds generally a nudist beach can be on a moderate sim so long as no sexual acts are undertaken.

The following is from the maturity settings wiki:

Dance clubs that feature "burlesque" acts can also generally reside in Moderate regions as long as they don't promote sexual conduct, for instance through pose balls (whether in "backrooms" or more visible spaces). However if any of these businesses uses adult-oriented search tags, the region may be categorized as Adult and blocked from appearing in non-Adult search.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

Theirs a lot more to an adult rating than simply showing skin, because being makes in general isn't a sexual thing. We were born naked, we bathe naked and their is nothing sexual about either of those. It's what you're doing while naked is what makes it adult/erotic.

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

"No nudity" is not a rule in Moderate regions.  Unless it is explicitly forbidden by the owner,  nudity is fine.  What's not fine is public sexual activity.  In  Moderate region, you may sunbathe in the nude or sit naked on a park bench if the landowner allows it.  You just can't do anything that is a sexual act. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

"No nudity" is not a rule in Moderate regions.  Unless it is explicitly forbidden by the owner,  nudity is fine.  What's not fine is public sexual activity.  In  Moderate region, you may sunbathe in the nude or sit naked on a park bench if the landowner allows it.  You just can't do anything that is a sexual act. 

I think when people see the M rating on a sim. They automatically think it has to be family friendly, like G. But as long as you are not bumping pixel uglies. You are totally fine to walk around in the nude, lay in the nude, sit in the nude. As long as the owner of the sim allows it. That and if there are not kid avatars on the sim. If kid avatars are on a moderate sim, than yes, you have to cover yourself up at all times and only get nude in designated nude spots.

9 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

As others have said: nudity is flat-out allowed. You can go full Lady Godiva across Bellisseria if you want to.

6 hours ago, halebore Aeon said:

That and if there are not kid avatars on the sim. If kid avatars are on a moderate sim, than yes, you have to cover yourself up at all times and only get nude in designated nude spots.

Actually, this is incorrect. "Child" avatars are fully allowed to be au-natural just like you and I. It is only on adult-rated regions that going nude in the presence of "Child-like" avatars is a no-no. Otherwise the only difference between Adult-rated and Moderate-rated regions is the presence and allowance of actual sex activity in a public space and any public advertisement of same.

To clarify, I'm not saying I condone or endorse nude "Child" avatars running around willy-nilly; I'm saying only that it is not against the TOS as I read it. Other than family role-play (Bath time, for example) I find it (nude Child and Adult avatars in the same vicinities) outright creepy in a general sense.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

As others have said: nudity is flat-out allowed. You can go full Lady Godiva across Bellisseria if you want to.

Actually, this is incorrect. "Child" avatars are fully allowed to be au-natural just like you and I. It is only on adult-rated regions that going nude in the presence of "Child-like" avatars is a no-no. Otherwise the only difference between Adult-rated and Moderate-rated regions is the presence and allowance of actual sex activity in a public space and any public advertisement of same.

To clarify, I'm not saying I condone or endorse nude "Child" avatars running around willy-nilly; I'm saying only that it is not against the TOS as I read it. Other than family role-play (Bath time, for example) I find it (nude Child and Adult avatars in the same vicinities) outright creepy in a general sense.

Regarding the no nudity...well, understanding all the written words is not easy...I just thought I had read nudity was for Adult only.   Learn something new every day.  

Edited by FairreLilette

10 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

What others have said here is indeed correct: nudity is permitted in M rated areas, so that instances of public nakedness do not represent "rating creep."

What is happening, however, increasingly, is that objects with adult animations (i.e., sex) are appearing in public M rated areas. And the reason for that, I think, is that creators are increasingly putting sex animations into even the most apparently innocuous objects.

It was not always so. When I first started frequenting in-world again a little over a year ago, my ex showed me around his new house, and I noted the ubiquity of sex animations in virtually every room. I joked that his kitchen stove probably had them. Ha ha. Yes, he said, actually, it did. (Ouch? I hope he remembers to turn off the elements?)

I bought, at one of the weekend sales last week, a 1950s "laundry room" setup: washing machine, ironing board, clothes hamper. And yes, the washing machine has adult animations. I sort of get this, maybe: Harriet's in the basement, doing her womanly duties and wringing out her black frillies, when in pops Ozzie, feeling a little randy. Next thing you know, little David and Ricky Nelson have a new baby brother. Sure, whatever.

But a few weeks back I bought a standing electric floor fan. It too is loaded with sex animations.

A floor fan.

Double ouch: I haven't had the nerve to check out the animations.

The creep of objects with sex animations into public M rated areas is a grey area, I suppose, because the rating system bans public sex in Moderate sims, and not objects that merely contain sex animations. But, the very presence of sexy floor fans in M (and, arguably, even G) rated areas at the very least enables, if not actually encourages, a breaking of the TOS.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What others have said here is indeed correct: nudity is permitted in M rated areas, so that instances of public nakedness do not represent "rating creep."

What is happening, however, increasingly, is that objects with adult animations (i.e., sex) are appearing in public M rated areas. And the reason for that, I think, is that creators are increasingly putting sex animations into even the most apparently innocuous objects.

It was not always so. When I first started frequenting in-world again a little over a year ago, my ex showed me around his new house, and I noted the ubiquity of sex animations in virtually every room. I joked that his kitchen stove probably had them. Ha ha. Yes, he said, actually, it did. (Ouch? I hope he remembers to turn off the elements?)

I bought, at one of the weekend sales last week, a 1950s "laundry room" setup: washing machine, ironing board, clothes hamper. And yes, the washing machine has adult animations. I sort of get this, maybe: Harriet's in the basement, doing her womanly duties and wringing out her black frillies, when in pops Ozzie, feeling a little randy. Next thing you know, little David and Ricky Nelson have a new baby brother. Sure, whatever.

But a few weeks back I bought a standing electric floor fan. It too is loaded with sex animations.

A floor fan.

Double ouch: I haven't had the nerve to check out the animations.

The creep of objects with sex animations into public M rated areas is a grey area, I suppose, because the rating system bans public sex in Moderate sims, and not objects that merely contain sex animations. But, the very presence of sexy floor fans in M (and, arguably, even G) rated areas at the very least enables, if not actually encourages, a breaking of the TOS.

But yes I have noticed this too when searching items on Marketplace...sex animations are in all kinds of everyday things now.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What else would anyone use an ironing board for? 😕

• Haha 4

Okay, new pet peeve:  random guys who IM you to say "OMG I saw you naked because of lag!  I'm sorry!"

I mean, dude, whatever.  I paid for these pixels; it's not like you couldn't buy them yourself to ogle them.

And then they're like "Do you mind if I keep looking at you,?  I mean, the naked you?"

Okay, spiffy.  Now apparently he took a picture... and made it weird.

/me shudders

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I wonder how much of that is done by creators who have no clue about how their animated objects work? These days, the average creator doesn't need to hire a scripter to animate a bed, a kitchen stove, or a standing fan.  All he has to do is go to Marketplace and look for a generic animation package that is self-contained.  If it has extra anims beyond the ones that the creator really wants (kneel down and enjoy the wind blowing in your face ... ), the creator doesn't remove them.  It may be laziness or maybe it's a quirky sense of humor.  You're right, though.  It sets the unwitting buyer up for potential embarrassment or worse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I wonder how much of that is done by creators who have no clue about how their animated objects work? These days, the average creator doesn't need to hire a scripter to animate a bed, a kitchen stove, or a standing fan.  All he has to do is go to Marketplace and look for a generic animation package that is self-contained.  If it has extra anims beyond the ones that the creator really wants (kneel down and enjoy the wind blowing in your face ... ), the creator doesn't remove them.  It may be laziness or maybe it's a quirky sense of humor.  You're right, though.  It sets the unwitting buyer up for potential embarrassment or worse.

I am sure you're right, as often as not, although I'm also certain that there are creators who believe that loading adult animations into objects like this will make them more marketable. (Possibly, also, they feel it justifies charging somewhat more for it, something that we often see when there are both PG and A rated versions of an object available).

But, yes, I don't think that any of this is malicious, or a deliberate attempt to sidestep the TOS. Most creators assume, correctly, that the real onus is on the purchaser to ensure that the object is used appropriately.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.