What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
24 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

do you believe Amina is wearing rose-colored glasses regarding this issue?

Figuratively, right? 

Some people think those who are into Yoga (like you and I are) must be wearing rose-colored glasses.  What do you think?

rose colored glasses.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

It wasn't in response to you.

Maybe I should not have butted in. I guess you triggered one of my biggest pet peeves -- people that have 'theories in search of a person'....apply theories too liberally to another and judge them without adequate evidence.  Perhaps you were not doing that though, and so I'd be guilty of the same thing  :)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Maybe I should not have butted in. I guess you triggered one of my biggest pet peeves -- people that have 'theories in search of a person'....apply theories too liberally to another and judge them without adequate evidence.  Perhaps you were not doing that though, and so I'd be guilty of the same thing  :)

Yeah sorry, I should have given you a real response. If I ever get the feeling that someone is saying "I don't believe you", I get a bit defensive. I (now) don't think that was the case here :)

So yeah, I wasn't referring to Amina here... but I think I made it easy for people to assume that, by using the mesh example as the first one on my list. The triggering event for that post was a conversation I had inworld, which boiled down a friend saying to me "SL feels dead to me (because I don't go out to meet people anymore)". If I'd led with that one, I might have avoided what followed. So my bad on that front.

Edited by AyelaNewLife
Forgot a word

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Is that what you took from my post? Ok, I'll try again.

SL is 16 years old (I think) and appears to have changed culturally in that time (shocking, I know). Mesh is beautiful but with it appears to have come a culture which seems, to me and others, to be more preoccupied with appearances and more judgemental on that count, and somewhat to the detriment of other things. I feel able to make this observation because I've spent as much time as I can (limited, I accept) doing my best to explore, interact and talk to people. 

My own pet peeve: people making up stuff I haven't said and appearing to be very angry about it. 

But the same can be said about RL when it comes to looks too. Have you seen instagram or snapchat(snapchat is confusing as heck btw.) There are people uploading pictures saying how pretty they look. That and the same thing goes with judgement in RL, that is practically the same way too. So you really can't say it is all that. There is way more to your observation than how someone wants you to see them. I can agree that SL has gotten more cliquey, you just have to find the right people to hang out with that's all.

39 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Of course! But wouldn't you agree that, as well as those that observe an actual change, there are those who are just making excuses for their own dissatisfaction, as well as many who fit in the grey area between those two clear-cut cases? And if so, given that this is a pet peeves thread, wouldn't it be likely that I'm talking about the obvious cases, rather than 'auditing' the entire population?

Uh...well obviously I don't think all people have a uniform thought process. One reason I've got the impression that SL has become more looks focused, to the detriment of other things, is because I've heard other people say the same thing, from builders to RPers to clubbers. 

However, that was quite a strong rebuke you delivered earlier to....someone, and I suppose it would help people who read it to know whether or not it applied to them. halebore spoke about people who complain there's nothing in SL while making literally no effort to discover stuff. I've truly never met these people. You spoke about false nostalgia, complacency, toxicity, lack of engagement, blaming others for one's own failings and lack of responsibility. I guess I'd like to know how one expresses an observation that there's an element of SL that appears to have taken a backward step without coming over as quite so terrible a human being.

2 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

But the same can be said about RL when it comes to looks too. Have you seen instagram or snapchat(snapchat is confusing as heck btw.) There are people uploading pictures saying how pretty they look. That and the same thing goes with judgement in RL, that is practically the same way too. So you really can't say it is all that. There is way more to your observation than how someone wants you to see them. I can agree that SL has gotten more cliquey, you just have to find the right people to hang out with that's all.

I'm sorry, I've read this a few times and I still don't understand what it's got to do with the earlier made-up stuff I didn't say. Why can I not make an observation about SL just because you make a similar observation about RL? That would imply my thoughts about the SL change are true, surely? 

As it happens, I think there's a unique element in that we completely control appearances in SL and obviously don't in RL, much as we might polish it on Facebook. But that's too much for me to go into right now.

When people take forum issues inworld, that's really, really, really, really, really, really....I typo'd every single one of those, and none matched, sigh....annoying.

My least favorite peeve, so much so it's not even a pet, it's that rabid squirrel who's super cute, but you know will tear into you the second you get close, so you stay far, far away....

When people choose to insult something that touches a nerve it probably wouldn't in others, and shouldn't for me, but does. It touches that nerve so harshly, in all the wrong ways, on all the wrong days, that I question whether or not it's worth a textual slap that may or may not feel good initially, but also may or may not offer me a temp ban in return (and it never is worth it, btw..tempting as it may be).

And then I say to myself...because yes, I talk to myself, it's how I get expert advice....

I say "self....that's a holy douchecanoe, and the best way to deal with a holy douchecanoe is to throw a lil baking soda on it, give it a push in the nearest lake. Then watch it explode, odds are good it won't know what happened, but by the time it peters out, it'll have made a mess of itself"

That's also how you make volcanoes....vinegar and baking soda ;) 

It's also after 6am and I should be in bed

So, goodnight forums

I'll see you all while I'm working on a paper about leveraging technology for competitive advantages later today and decide to procrastinate,  as usual. 

On 10/27/2019 at 1:31 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And posts by such people, especially if they haven't found other things to do in SL that adequately replace these, are likely to take on an elegiac tone.

Oh, I can't wait to wade in here with some highly insightful comment, having not really followed the thread at all! :D

Honestly I'm only posting to say that I just got a big grin on my face to see the word elegiac used (correctly too!) in a social media post.

clap gif.gif

Edited by Seicher Rae
to remove slow clap for real clap!
  • Thanks 1

Back on topic.. when people can't be civil to you who were supposed to be friends but there came up an issue between you and them. Your approach is in a civil way but they decide to lash out, insult and act like a total jerk. I know, I know, not everyone thinks and reacts alike but you would think that most adults knew better.

Sighs.

Edited by ClariceRose

1 minute ago, ClariceRose said:

I think a lot of us women are going through things and assuming that others are attacking us. Maybe many of us have PMS going on or other hormonal things. I think we need to take a breather from the forums, eat some chocolate and take a nap.

*Ducks and runs*

oooooooh

This would have been "better" coming from a male avatar. :D

H7vUCCIO3vQ1oLxRlzi721iExEg6e55GEK3XlZfcSX0.png

21 minutes ago, ClariceRose said:

I think a lot of us women are going through things and assuming that others are attacking us. Maybe many of us have PMS going on or other hormonal things. I think we need to take a breather from the forums, eat some chocolate and take a nap.

*Ducks and runs*

I'm sure this was well-intentioned, but may I respectfully ask that you don't do the "wimmin and their hormones" thing when women are upset or angry about something. It really doesn't help us in having our concerns, issues and, indeed, our personal clashes taken seriously, even if you are yourself female, or if you add a little "ooh that was naughty of me, lol" tag at the end.

People experience friction and sometimes those people are women. It's not helpful to have our personal experiences dismissed and trivialised as the funny ol' menstrual cycle. Actually that makes me crazier than the one or two days of the month when I get a bit cranky.

Obviously there are women who experience serious period-related health problems, but usually if a woman is upset, frustrated or angry, it's because, like a man, something has happened to cause it. 

It's not cute or productive, so please don't do it. Thank you.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

People experience friction and sometimes those people are women. It's not helpful to have our personal experiences dismissed and trivialised as the funny ol' menstrual cycle. Actually that makes me crazier than the one or two days of the month when I get a bit cranky.

Not to mention the fact that many of us are well beyond menopause so it doesn't even apply to us.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Not to mention the fact that many of us are well beyond menopause so it doesn't even apply to us.

I find people are able to ascribe wimmin's hormones to all life stages. I know some women have related health problems, obviously, but the vast majority of us really don't spend our lives enslaved to our cycles or general post-menopausal "hormones" , to the point where we can't actually get pissed off about other things. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I find people are able to ascribe wimmin's hormones to all life stages. I know some women have related health problems, obviously, but the vast majority of us really don't spend our lives enslaved to our cycles or general post-menopausal "hormones" , to the point where we can't actually get pissed off about other things. 

Yeah.

It's maybe worth noting that PMS (and by extension PMDD) as a recognized, medicalized "thing" only dates back to around the 1940s. It's a little odd, perhaps, that for many thousands of years, no one really noticed this ailment that we are now willing to blame for all sorts of behaviours?

I don't think I'd subscribe to the view, subscribed to by some, that it's an entirely socially constructed thing, but it does bear an uncanny resemblance to other mysterious "ailments," most notably hysteria, that historically have been thought to make women irrational, and associated with that weirdly mysterious and somehow dangerous thing, the female reproductive system.

I'm willing to believe that there are, in some women, some of the time, reactions which may even include mild shifts in the emotions linked to hormonal changes in the week or so leading up to menstruation, but the suggestion that women, as a sex, are all susceptible to become irritable and unfathomable monsters for five or six days of every month is not merely nonsense, it's misogynistic nonsense.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

oooooooh

This would have been "better" coming from a male avatar. :D

(removed image)

Why would anybody regurgitate an ad campaign by the California Milk Floggers that was rightly pulled in 2011 for being - rubbish? Rubbish used as keeping it civil. Let alone a 'male avatar'.

(Not a bad run down on calcium/Vit D effectiveness re PMS symptoms here : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6422848/

although warning - science involved).

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

They can ascribe all they want. Doesn't make it reality. I had to get a complete hysterectomy at age 25 so neither of those things has ever been something I've really had to deal with. You should see the faces when they've been informed they're barking up the wrong tree. ^_^

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Why would anybody regurgitate an ad campaign by the California Milk Floggers that was rightly pulled in 2011 for being - rubbish? Rubbish used as keeping it civil. Let alone a 'male avatar'.

(Not a bad run down on calcium/Vit D effectiveness re PMS symptoms here : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6422848/

although warning - science involved).

Good grief.

First of all "my bad" because the "This" I was referring to was the previous comment that the kerfuffle was due to wimmin's hormones NOT to the graphic I put up. That was unclear. I thought the comments about the stuff going on in this latter part of the thread being due to PMS and to go eat chocolate was really pretty shocking, and sure to cause a problem.

I expect such clueless things about "hormones" to be spouted mainly by men, not women. (Of course since these are avatars, who knows?)

The graphic represented clueless things some men have been known to utter or think. They are misogynistic.  I had no idea it was an ad campaign by anyone of any year. It was a "generic" Google image search for stupid things people (of any sex) say about PMS etc.

Obviously that wasn't clear because I didn't write it out.

On the other hand, triggered much by a short little comment? Yeesh.

• Like 1

People with display names like  ╞í“®∙à█σ¤„n  that get bent out of shape when you call them by their account name.
That and names like "I'm the girl the ESRB warned you about that online content may change to adult at any time for reasons beyond LL control of the matter."

I am so close to turning off display names altogether.  I'm just sorry the other 10% of users with readable names will get lost when I do.

• Like 4

I only get edgy when people make fun of my lack of vision, or how it impacts certain aspects of my life- be it sl or rl. Because it's really not funny, at all, never will be, and it's not something that when used as an insult is ever going to be funny. 

I don't go making fun to others' shortcomings that are out of their control. I really, really don't like being reminded of the only one of which actually has a serious impact on literally every aspect of my life, at all times, never-ending, doesn't turn off, can't be fixed, gets progressively worse by the day.... meh.

It's particularly obnoxious and really disheartening on levels that likely won't make a lick of sense to anyone, but it's not fun to deal with, or try to come to terms with as an issue in and of itself, much less the lingering effects of others being douchecanoes about it. That sticks and stones thing...yeah, it doesn't lessen the impact of something like that-ever, and people who think it does, are probably lying to save face themselves (I don't blame them, they're better at that than I am most of the time).  

I have many other shortcomings people could focus on, and I'd probably laugh right along with them. I'm pretty hilariously flawed...and by that I don't mean pretty, funny, and flawed, but rather...very flawed, and it's pretty funny :) 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.