What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Wait... tickling is considered bullying now? O.o

It's a line from The Thick of It. Terri the press officer, in a rare moment of competence, explains why you shouldn't reveal your weaknesses to the enemy. Or at least people who might make use of the knowledge.

Edited by Amina Sopwith

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

It's a line from The Thick of It. Terri the press officer, in a rare moment of competence, explains why you shouldn't reveal your weaknesses to the enemy. Or at least people who might make use of the knowledge.

Must be one of those things you had to have seen or read to understand. Sorry. Name doesn't ring any bells.

Let me tell you about my gacha peeves. I'm not the biggest fan of gachas to begin with, but there are some very effective ways of making sure that I definitely don't play yours.

1) Trash prizes. Every single item in your thing should be desirable, at least to someone. So if it's like "hey there's 7 good items and 7 random junk that I found in my inventory" I'm not going to play it because I don't want the latter, ever, even as freebies.

2) Mixed colors in one machine. Particularly if it's an outfit gacha. Imagine that you have a 10-piece set, but each one comes in five different colors. So even if I'm lucky enough to hit each prize, one by one, I'm still going to end up with a mismatched outfit barring absolutely grotesque numbers of plays.

3) Ultra rare items. Ah, so just the rare with a ~5% win chance wasn't enough, we're doing ultra rares with a ~1% chance too? Yeah, I'm not going to even try, especially if you don't tell me exactly how rare it is.

4) Too much variance in items. How many people are looking for both a kitchen sink, a washing machine and an outdoors sofa? I'm not! I just want the kitchen sink!

5) Expensive spins. I'm sorry, there's only so much I'm willing to pay for a random item that might not be what I want, and that cost is way below $L100.

Actually just sell me the full sets. Please.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

People who charge for shapes, there I said it. I get it's hard to make a shape in SL. But charging for a shape, cmon. That seems a little profit hungry. Don't you think?

I can see charging L$25 or something (for the effort and some people would rather just pay than deal with it) - though anything more than that: I definitely concur.

Among my pet peeves that parallel this scenario: People who charge L$100-500 or more for a "Physics" object that is NO-MODIFY. Seriously? Not everyone wears ten gallon helium-filled, torpedo-ti... er, boobs. And from what it looks like, those must all be created by BOYS because boobs don't always flop around like THAT when walking or even standing still. Bahahaha! 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

People who charge for shapes, there I said it. I get it's hard to make a shape in SL. But charging for a shape, cmon. That seems a little profit hungry. Don't you think?

Remember when mesh heads first came out and people reluctant to change because they didn't want to all look the same? I bet some of them bought a premade shape. 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

I can see charging L$25 or something (for the effort and some people would rather just pay than deal with it) - though anything more than that: I definitely concur.

Among my pet peeves that parallel this scenario: People who charge L$100-500 or more for a "Physics" object that is NO-MODIFY. Seriously? Not everyone wears ten gallon helium-filled, torpedo-ti... er, boobs. And from what it looks like, those must all be created by BOYS because boobs don't always flop around like THAT when walking or even standing still. Bahahaha! 

There are people who will charge anywhere from 299 to 499 for their shapes. Like it's ridiculous today, I do see a point paying a small fee. But Cmon paying upwards of 25L. That is just a little bit too pricey there.

2 hours ago, halebore Aeon said:

Why exactly is charging for a shape such a bad thing? This mentality could be used for pretty much everything in Second Life. "It can be hard making clothes in Second Life, but charging for them? Come on." See what I did there? Anytime I create a shape it takes me an hour to 3 hours depending on what I'm trying to do. You saying that people charging for a shape is ridiculous when to me that comes off as insulting to Anyone who puts a lot of time and effort into creating these very nice shapes. Creating shapes just as much of an art form as creating houses, creating clothes, creating hair, creating pets, Etc, people who create these shapes and put them up for sale deserve to learn from their efforts.

Edited by IvyLarae
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

Why exactly is charging for a shape such a bad thing? This mentality could be used for pretty much everything in Second Life. "It can be hard making clothes in Second Life, but charging for them? Come on." See what I did there? Anytime I create a shape it takes me an hour to 3 hours depending on what I'm trying to do. You saying that people charging for a shape is ridiculous when to me that comes off as insulting to Anyone who puts a lot of time and effort into creating these very nice shapes. Creating shapes just as much of an art form as creating houses, creating clothes, creating hair, creating pets, Etc, people who create these shapes and put them up for sale deserve to learn from their efforts.

Let me ask you. Do you think charging anywhere between 299 and more is a fair and reasonable price for a body? Think about it you explained it yourself. When on average a shape creator will charge 299, and you said yourself that it takes 1 to 3 hours. So essentially your charging the mass consumer anywhere between 299L per hour to 99L per hour. My whole issue is not really the charge, I don't really like anyone charging to create for a shape. But you are pricing your things 49L for what a person takes from 14 hours to a week to make in blender and other 3rd party programs. Do you think that you are any better or equal to a mesh creator?  That's my issue. On average a mesh creator charges 250 per single item, or even small set. Whether it be clothing or small little jewellry. Look I would rather pay 25L for a shape or make my own. If that makes me sound cheap and stingy that's fine. I just don't see a shape creator, especially with what they charge at an equal level to a mesh creator.

21 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

Anytime I create a shape it takes me an hour to 3 hours depending on what I'm trying to do.

If you intend to sell them it's double that just to package them.
Then make a demo shape.  You can reuse existing parts so it's only an extra hour.

I don't know about you but I can do 1 shape a day if it's going to MP.

And now with mesh, each shape matches a single head.  Not just one brand, each single head needs a custom shape.  Your potential market for every shape you make is cut to a fraction of pre-mesh days.  It's just too damn much work for possible 100L return for me. 

@halebore Aeon, If 25L sounds too pricey then you should start making shapes and earning all that difference in value between what you see and others pay. That's all profit going into your pocket. 

Unless you don't think the profit is worth the effort. 

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

If you intend to sell them it's double that just to package them.
Then make a demo shape.  You can reuse existing parts so it's only an extra hour.

I don't know about you but I can do 1 shape a day if it's going to MP.

And now with mesh, each shape matches a single head.  Not just one brand, each single head needs a custom shape.  Your potential market for every shape you make is cut to a fraction of pre-mesh days.  It's just too damn much work for possible 100L return for me. 

@halebore Aeon, If 25L sounds too pricey then you should start making shapes and earning all that difference in value between what you see and others pay. That's all profit going into your pocket. 

Unless you don't think the profit is worth the effort. 

Never said that 25L was too pricey. But I don't think charging anywhere from 299 to 499 is right. Wait what costs so much to package them?

• Sad 1

Just now, Eva Knoller said:

There is obviously a market for shape creation. Plenty of people can’t make or don’t want to make a shape, and if they want to pay $2 US (the horror!) for a shape, so be it. It seems perfectly logical to me. 

Never said it was wrong for others, I just don't happen to agree myself. That being said, I learned to make my own shape as I was getting sick and tired of the average market price for a shape.

2 hours ago, halebore Aeon said:

Let me ask you. Do you think charging anywhere between 299 and more is a fair and reasonable price for a body?

No actually I do have to agree with you there. Charging almost 500L for a shape is ridiculous. I think at most 100L would be enough. I typically don't charge for shapes when people ask me to create one for them, if they want to pay me that's cool, if they don't fine, but charging what most charge for a mini fat pack or  a shoe fat pack, yeah it's ridiculous. I will give you that!

Edited by IvyLarae
  • Like 2

Just now, IvyLarae said:

No actually I do have to agree with you there. Charting almost 500L 4 shape is ridiculous. I think at most 100L would be enough. I typically don't charge for shapes when people ask me to create one for them, if they want to pay me that's cool, if they don't fine, but charging what most charge for a mini fat pack or a a shoe fat pack, yeah it's ridiculous. I will give you that!

That's what I mean, I got sick and tired of paying for the average market price for a shape. That I took the time and taught myself to make shapes. I am not paying into that. Nor will I ever pay into that.

8 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

Okay but do you think charging anywhere between 299 and 499 is a fair price for a shape?

Just pulling up MP listing for shapes, the first page will have prices ranging from 1L to 750L.  I charge 199.  I would pay 350 for a shape if I wanted it bad enough. 

1 hour ago, halebore Aeon said:

But Cmon paying upwards of 25L. That is just a little bit too pricey there.

22 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

Never said that 25L was too pricey.

This is getting to be too much of an argument and not a discussion.  I think I'm done.
PM me if you want to continue out of public.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

Okay but do you think charging anywhere between 299 and 499 is a fair price for a shape?

If I liked the shape more than the cheaper ones, sure. If I could not afford an extra dollar, maybe not. My first skin in SL cost 5000L. 

The rule in life is: if it’s too expensive for you, just buy something cheaper, rather than complain that Porsches  are too expensive. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

If I liked the shape more than the cheaper ones, sure. If I could not afford an extra dollar, maybe not. My first skin in SL cost 5000L. 

The rule in life is: if it’s too expensive for you, just buy something cheaper, rather than complain that Porsches  are too expensive. 

I taught myself how to make my own shape. But I don't think the best thing is to shut up and just move on. If a customer or a consumer of said product has a problem with a product. Is it wise to tell them to shut up and move on? I don't think so. I stopped putting my money into shape creators, I made my own. But as a person who consumed in shapes, since I was too lazy to make my own. I think I can voice my opinion on this matter. I do think that 299 or higher is rather expensive for a shape. I don't get this practice, charge basically in the same ball park as a person who designs Clothing or Accessories for a single Clothing or a small pack of Jewelry. I don't see it as the same thing, so I don't see why someone would charge that price. I should have been more specific earlier and said I don't think shape creators should charge as much as they do. I am fine with 25L, heck, I am fine with 100L. But I am not fine with paying the same amount I would pay for one shirt, a piercing or jewelry set or even a tattoo. That seems rather exorbitant in price.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.