What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1425 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

48 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah.

It's maybe worth noting that PMS (and by extension PMDD) as a recognized, medicalized "thing" only dates back to around the 1940s. It's a little odd, perhaps, that for many thousands of years, no one really noticed this ailment that we are now willing to blame for all sorts of behaviours?

I don't think I'd subscribe to the view, subscribed to by some, that it's an entirely socially constructed thing, but it does bear an uncanny resemblance to other mysterious "ailments," most notably hysteria, that historically have been thought to make women irrational, and associated with that weirdly mysterious and somehow dangerous thing, the female reproductive system.

I'm willing to believe that there are, in some women, some of the time, reactions which may even include mild shifts in the emotions linked to hormonal changes in the week or so leading up to menstruation, but the suggestion that women, as a sex, are all susceptible to become irritable and unfathomable monsters for five or six days of every month is not merely nonsense, it's misogynistic nonsense.

I know what you are saying, and agree to a point (because you used qualifiers in italics). But...

Just because it was only recently officially medically recognized doesn't mean it did not exist for thousands of years prior to that. There are lots of medical things that are real that can fall under the same history.

Putting several of your words into scare quotes serves to discount the disorders as not real, and I don't think you are doing that, right?

It is untrue and misogynistic to paint with broad strokes that all women have mood swings and other problems; but for those of us who had PMS/PMDD and had severe symptoms, from the emotional to the physical, the characterization that some women may even have mild shifts in mood is rather condescending from the other side of the spectrum.

By the way, this is not said in a tone that would indicate I have a battle axe in hand (or anywhere else). 

Edited by Seicher Rae
tweaking punctuation, but probably not enough
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

I only get edgy when people make fun of my lack of vision, or how it impacts certain aspects of my life- be it sl or rl. Because it's really not funny, at all, never will be, and it's not something that when used as an insult is ever going to be funny. 

I don't know you, or your specifics, but I gather you are losing your sight. (At first read I thought you meant "lack of vision" as meaning unable to create or think in the future.) That anyone would use such a thing to make fun of someone else is horrible. People can be such [insert appropriate censored word here]. And, sadly, I do not doubt you've experienced this. Many of us know first-hand how stupid/thoughtless/cruel others can be, on purpose or not. I know I have some stories...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'm sure this was well-intentioned, but may I respectfully ask that you don't do the "wimmin and their hormones" thing when women are upset or angry about something. It really doesn't help us in having our concerns, issues and, indeed, our personal clashes taken seriously, even if you are yourself female, or if you add a little "ooh that was naughty of me, lol" tag at the end.

People experience friction and sometimes those people are women. It's not helpful to have our personal experiences dismissed and trivialised as the funny ol' menstrual cycle. Actually that makes me crazier than the one or two days of the month when I get a bit cranky.

Obviously there are women who experience serious period-related health problems, but usually if a woman is upset, frustrated or angry, it's because, like a man, something has happened to cause it. 

It's not cute or productive, so please don't do it. Thank you.

It was a joke. I am a woman. I get bad PMS. 

It was a joke. Freedom of speech. But since you asked nicely. I am sorry that it offended you or anyone else, was not my intention. 

A woman making a "joke" at the expense of other women has very little to do with freedom of speech. It is sexist humor. In reality, sexist humor creates an environment where it becomes socially acceptable to express sexism and perpetrate violence against women. The very things we should be uniting against, rather than perpetuating.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ClariceRose said:

It was a joke. I am a woman. I get bad PMS. 

It was a joke. Freedom of speech. But since you asked nicely. I am sorry that it offended you or anyone else, was not my intention. 

I get this (and hoped you were joking) when you made the post. I took it as someone who just severely misread the room. As someone who has done that myself, several times in the past, I recognize it in others. It was obvious (to me) that with the thread having its collective feathers ruffled, that joke was going to escalate things. I'm not the PC police, and was not offended (cringing and shocked instead), but I appreciate your sincere apology.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

A woman making a "joke" at the expense of other women has very little to do with freedom of speech. It is sexist humor. In reality, sexist humor creates an environment where it becomes socially acceptable to express sexism and perpetrate violence against women. The very things we should be uniting against, rather than perpetuating.

I agree to disagree respectfully. 

• Like 1

Drivers who think their turn signals are for indicating "Look at me!... I'm turning the corner right...……… now!" They brake, brake... slow down... then signalandturnathtesametime. Of course this assumes they bother to signal at all.

Forgive me. Since becoming a professional, I've gotten somewhat critical of poor driving habits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Drivers who think their turn signals are for indicating "Look at me!... I'm turning the corner right...……… now!" They brake, brake... slow down... then signalandturnathtesametime. Of course this assumes they bother to signal at all.

Forgive me. Since becoming a professional, I've gotten somewhat critical of poor driving habits.

Or those who use no signal light at all !

4 minutes ago, Gregorian Chant said:

Speaking of lights, there are avies still walking around with megawatt facelights in the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen.  We have windlights for over a decade now.  2008 is calling for their facelights back.

i thought facelights are not work anymore?

44 minutes ago, Minny124 said:

i thought facelights are not work anymore?

Facelights use the oldest technology for artificial lighting in-world, and they are still very much technically possible. In fact, photographers use variations on them for lighting models all the time.

Creating a facelight takes all of about 30 seconds: it's just a smallish transparent prim attached to the face or shoulder that has lighting enabled on the "Features" tab. It's actually quite possible to produce a very subtle one that most people wouldn't even notice, by keeping the intensity and radius of the point light low, and the falloff high.

However, they do interfere with the more realistic lighting we now get from windlight, ALM (advance lighting model), and ambient occlusion. I haven't worn one in years.

• Like 1

New to forum and my first post is a moan, a pet peeve. So let's get it out of the way ^_^

Please forgive me for not reading all 80+ pages so far as it's probably been mentioned already, but my moan is about opening boxed items.

One or two and it's over and done with quickly, but after grabbing all the gifts at an event, such as Kustom9 for example, there are many, many items to 'open'

Let's see what we have.

Some need ..

1. the floor of a sandbox and a single click then 'open attachments'
2. the floor of a sandbox and a manual right-click then 'open attachments'
3. to be attached (as bag/item) and open automatically
4. to be attached (as bag/item) and require clicking
5. to be attached (as HUD) and open automatically
6. to be attached (as HUD) and require clicking
7. to be attached (as HUD) and require clicking in a particular place, which requires full rezzing
8. some of the above revealing more boxes to open
9. some of the above revealing more boxes to open with a different method
10. me to reset my AO as a built-in animation has disrupted mine

Please, sellers, may we have some consistency? .. and drop the animations.

My always preferred method is when I attach as a HUD and it automatically offers 'Accept'.  I can grab a bunch in inventory and attach all at once. Then click Accept repeatedly until all done. Then take the opportunity that all those boxes in inventory I no longer need are all still highlighted and delete them all in one go.

I dream :D

• Like 1

Hang on, I remembered another one.

Please stop calling things you need to pay for a 'GIFT'.

If they're at a bargain or special price or a promotion then call them what they are, If they require payment they are NOT a gift.

gift
/ɡɪft/
noun

1. a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.
Edited by CandyCole
  • Like 5

I think face lights are hilarious. Some mesh heads come with them as well as those new omega normals some are selling for cool skin effects. When done right they can make you look quite nice and I see nothing wrong with using them for photography.

However.....however!

Using ones from 2009 that some random gave you can make you look like you’re in the process of being abducted by aliens or you’re radioactive. Some are set so high they’re another light source on the sim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yes to the face lights from ‘07 that can still be found in use! Sometimes I forget to  turn off attached lights after taking a picture, and I am always amazed at how bright some of those old ones are. I notice the area getting brighter and brighter and wonder what is happening. Oh, it’s just a face light coming my way!

So this next one isn’t exactly a peeve, but more of a head scratcher. Have some people with human avatars never looked at themselves in a mirror? Why are some arms so short that the fingertips barely brush their hip bone? I try not to judge people’s avatar choices, but so many avatars would look better with a realistic arm length.

6278801B-3AFD-413D-A5C4-495A82D501A9.jpeg.7f4c2d2be6349802d9411255d0c8d691.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

I think face lights are hilarious. Some mesh heads come with them as well as those new omega normals some are selling for cool skin effects. When done right they can make you look quite nice and I see nothing wrong with using them for photography.

However.....however!

Using ones from 2009 that some random gave you can make you look like you’re in the process of being abducted by aliens or you’re radioactive. Some are set so high they’re another light source on the sim.

I use a 2009-ish facelight. :D  BUT but but, to clarify... I use it for photography only. In theory. It is a nice, simple projector the old Pulse Skins gave out, and it has a simple to use menu for varying the intensity. I use it not only for selfies but also on sims where I can't rez a projector and I want to illuminate some object (by editing the facelight's position). I've been known to wear many self-made prim projectors along with the facelight. The problem with all that is: I forget I'm wearing it and/or to turn off the menu when I'm wandering around. Gah! I hate that because I know that's everyone's pet peeve! With the facelight set out meters from me, I probably look like I have a paranormal globe haunting and following me. 👻

It has been a while since I've been on a sim where someone lights up the whole place with their facelights, but not that long ago.

What blows me away is when I still hear the clippety-cloppety shoe sounds. I look around searching for the bling to go with.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

Yes to the face lights from ‘07 that can still be found in use! Sometimes I forget to  turn off attached lights after taking a picture, and I am always amazed at how bright some of those old ones are. I notice the area getting brighter and brighter and wonder what is happening. Oh, it’s just a face light coming my way!

So this next one isn’t exactly a peeve, but more of a head scratcher. Have some people with human avatars never looked at themselves in a mirror? Why are some arms so short that the fingertips barely brush their hip bone? I try not to judge people’s avatar choices, but so many avatars would look better with a realistic arm length.

6278801B-3AFD-413D-A5C4-495A82D501A9.jpeg.7f4c2d2be6349802d9411255d0c8d691.jpeg

Yes realistic arm length and PROPER HIP WIDTH. What is this ridiculous obsession with giant hips now days. The upper body looks disproportionate to lower body. Genetic mutants. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1425 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.