What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 5/31/2019 at 6:57 AM, AyelaNewLife said:

duty_calls.png

(I struggle with this too, don't worry, I know how hard it can be sometimes to just walk away)

This is just outstanding!

I don't know that I really have any pet peeves.  I generally think LL is doing a good job, and that people are too critical, but if that's what they enjoy, c'est la vie. 

Second Life is a place where if you give away free rainbows and unicorns, someone will complain they got cheated because their free unicorn only has one horn.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Stickers on products that are impossible to remove without damaging the item, forcing me to have to get out the turps.  🤬

Try Googone or similar .. its the same stuff, but doesn't come with the same 'mmmmm paint thinner' aroma and cleans up easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Late to the party with this one, but here are my pet peeves SL wise:

People in relationships who say they are 'Taken' where are you being taken exactly? to the shops, the pub, for a fun day out?

Flat shoes for tip toe feet, in real life we don't prance about on our tippy toes when wearing trainers or other flat shoes, its not that hard to switch your feet from high to flat with the huds with mesh bodies

Face lights, there is no need to prance about looking like the Blackpool illuminations (I am forever derendering them)

Random Friend requests, Hello I want money IM's and the old favourite How old are you?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZenCho Balhaus said:

Flat shoes for tip toe feet, in real life we don't prance about on our tippy toes when wearing trainers or other flat shoes, its not that hard to switch your feet from high to flat with the huds with mesh bodies

Seeing someone prance about in tippy toe feet while they are not wearing high heel shoes really annoys me for some reason. lol

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Seeing someone prance about in tippy toe feet while they are not wearing high heel shoes really annoys me for some reason. lol

I don't do shoes in SL but sometimes walk on mid feet for maitreya because you never know what you might be stepping in!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Those weren't the first words that came to my mind seeing her tippytoes. (Although... ladybugs! 😍)

Ain't it a pity that the first words that come to your mind are the last words that would make it through the forum filter?

• Haha 3

1) Inability to move coalesced objects numerically; aka, you can only move them by hand (dragging with your mouse);

2) TP disconnects;

3) And related to Nr. 2, the fact that Firestorm won't let you quit your viewer, when TP is obviously failing, but lets you wait for an entire minute ir so.

On 12/13/2018 at 2:45 PM, Ren Toxx said:

I’ll let the natives handle the semantics... anyhow, even if it’s “petty”—i.e. silly, unjustified or whatever ye wanna call it—, I reckon it’s sort of OK to rant about it here, it’s pretty much the thread’s purpose, and doesn’t necessarily mean that in-world we’ll go all murderous on them 😅

I'm not a native English speaker, but I can almost assure you that 'pet' is not short for 'petty', but simply refers to literal pets: aka, small, furry home animals. :) Like I can say 'Working on my houseboat has become my pet project, of late.' 'Pet' is just used adjectively there, to denote something small(/minor) you cherish.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ZenCho Balhaus said:

Late to the party with this one, but here are my pet peeves SL wise:

People in relationships who say they are 'Taken' where are you being taken exactly? to the shops, the pub, for a fun day out?

Face lights, there is no need to prance about looking like the Blackpool illuminations (I am forever derendering them)

Random Friend requests, Hello I want money IM's and the old favourite How old are you?

When I get the "How old are you?" question, I usually respond with "Don't worry, I'm legal." 

I have another minor peeve: people who come to you for help and then do anything but what you tell them to. Double points if they do the exact opposite of what you tell them to, or they don't listen to you at all and carry on just doing random things that make the situation worse. An SL-related example is (because it's rather long) behind the spoiler tag:

Customer: I can't clear this 'demo' text off my mesh head. Can you help me?

Me: Sure. Add the HUD for your head onto your screen, and click the tab that says 'blush'

Customer: OK, one sec.

[five minutes later]

Me: Do you have the HUD on yet?

Customer: No. Was I supposed to?

Me: Yes, please add the HUD.

Customer. OK, I've added it.

Me: Now click the tab that says blu--

Customer: OMG MY WHOLE HEAD IS BLUE NOW!

Me: Right. Well, before we get rid of the demo text we now have to untint your head. Please don't touch ANYTHING unless I tell you to, okay?

Customer: OK

Me: Please click the tab that says 'tint'

Customer: Where?

Me: On the HUD for your head.

Customer: Oh, I took it off. One sec...

[ten minutes later]

Me: I'm going to assume that you've now added the HUD, so please click the tab that says 'tint'

[an hour passes]

Customer: I don't see any tabs on the HUD

Me: Which HUD do you have on?

Customer: It has lots of faces on it.

Me: That's the animation HUD. Please remove that HUD and put on the main HUD for your head.

Customer: OK, one sec...

Customer: WTF? MY HEAD CAME OFF!

me: [under breath] It's going to be a long night...

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, Snugs McMasters said:

Ain't it a pity that the first words that come to your mind are the last words that would make it through the forum filter?

Too true! That's why I didn't say what they were. 

P.S. Ask Maddy if she remembers the ladybug shoes we both purchased years ago. 

42 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I have another minor peeve: people who come to you for help and then do anything but what you tell them to.

Reveal hidden contents

Me: Sure. Add the HUD for your head onto your screen, and click the tab that says 'blush'

[five minutes later]

Me: Right. Well, before we get rid of the demo text we now have to untint your head. Please don't touch ANYTHING unless I tell you to, okay?

[ten minutes later]

Me: I'm going to assume that you've now added the HUD, so please click the tab that says 'tint'

[an hour passes]

Me: That's the animation HUD. Please remove that HUD and put on the main HUD for your head.

Too true. :)

I've been on the other side of the equation too, though: you ask for help, and 10 ppl will jump on it, all suggesting you try something else. And double the points when they come up with things not related to your issue at all. 😊

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Too true. :)

I've been on the other side of the equation too, though: you ask for help, and 10 ppl will jump on it, all suggesting you try something else. And double the points when they come up with things not related to your issue at all. 😊

Yes, I've seen that happen, too. In fact, in our group we even have a copy/paste to put into chat when too many people jump in - especially if they jump in with incorrect, misleading, or irrelevant 'help'. It's not uncommon to have someone go silent after they've asked a question in chat. It usually denotes that a random group member has gone into their IM and decided to help them there. It's also not uncommon for the person being helped to come back to us shortly after that for assistance in fixing whatever the random group member messed up!

While it's common in our group for everyone to help everyone else if they can, we always recommend to look for the bold text that denotes a moderator, as those tend to be the official CSRs as well.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

I have another minor peeve: people who come to you for help and then do anything but what you tell them to. Double points if they do the exact opposite of what you tell them to, or they don't listen to you at all and carry on just doing random things that make the situation worse. An SL-related example is (because it's rather long) behind the spoiler tag:

Reveal hidden contents

[five minutes later]

[ten minutes later]

[an hour passes]

Without reading behind the spoiler (yet) this used to happen a lot in the FS support group. Well. Ok. Not a lot a lot, but a lot.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.