SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

1 hour ago, 4lice Cerise said:

Yes, but since the railhead at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Moose Tracks/99/254/2503 is at a ground height of 57 m, it could cross Stilt LH regions on bridges with 37 m clearance, either forming a long viaduct or atop a ridge and meet higher terrain again as the track goes northwards.

OMG.  I would wager RL money that they will never do this, but to me a long, high train viaduct OVER stilts (well, probably over a long gap between stilts, like a road) is unquestionably the best Linden Home idea ever!  

Oh, and, my dear @Moonstruck Mole , I know that you all are in a hurry to finish Fantasseria's coast.   But you dropped something in SSPE2775 :)

hurry_001.thumb.jpg.f166a0115f42e1adfd240f07a179ea2f.jpg

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 2
  • Haha 9

12 hours ago, Tary Allen said:

But are the old LH going to be deleted?

I thought people still had homes there

When the new Linden Homes were introduced, Patch mentioned that the old ones would be phased out. I seem to remember (but I am not 100% certain of my memory) that he said that for a while, people would not be forced to move out of their 2010 Linden Homes but that the Lab would count on people moving out in a natural manner. 

Having said that, I could picture a moment where the lab will go "right, we've waited long enough, let's offer the stragglers a new home so we can shut down these regions and conserve resources." but I would not want to guess when that will be.

• Like 5

I think folks on the forums spend a lot more time thinking about the old Linden Homes than LL does.

Let it go, let it go

Turn away and slam the door!

(by which I mean, why should we worry about it?  LL knows how much usage the old LL homes get, which is not inconsiderable.  They know about the cool builds.  They know the premium sandboxes exist.  They have usage stats and we don't, and will do what they will do, from a much more informed perspective than we have, regardless of what we say.)

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 5

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

OMG.  I would wager RL money that they will never do this, but to me a long, high train viaduct OVER stilts (well, probably over a long gap between stilts, like a road) is unquestionably the best Linden Home idea ever!  

Oh, and, my dear @Moonstruck Mole , I know that you all are in a hurry to finish Fantasseria's coast.   But you dropped something in SSPE2775 :)

hurry_001.thumb.jpg.f166a0115f42e1adfd240f07a179ea2f.jpg

I am pleased to announce our latest addition to the Bellisseria disaster suite of products:  Soil Liquefaction

• Like 2
  • Haha 16

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

When the new Linden Homes were introduced, Patch mentioned that the old ones would be phased out. I seem to remember (but I am not 100% certain of my memory) that he said that for a while, people would not be forced to move out of their 2010 Linden Homes but that the Lab would count on people moving out in a natural manner. 

Having said that, I could picture a moment where the lab will go "right, we've waited long enough, let's offer the stragglers a new home so we can shut down these regions and conserve resources." but I would not want to guess when that will be.

Your memory is accurate.  The plan still stands that the old Linden Homes continents will mostly go away.  Being the preservationist that I am, I do intend to save some of them for historical purposes and to cater to those who may still want one.  We haven't quite worked out how that will go yet, but I predict that there will be some level of disruption that is unavoidable.  For example, part of what will need to happen is the web based control system for the homes will be have to be removed and replaced with the similar/same control system we use in world today on the new homes.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 9

38 minutes ago, Patch Linden said:

Being the preservationist that I am, I do intend to save some of them for historical purposes and to cater to those who may still want one.  We haven't quite worked out how that will go yet, but I predict that there will be some level of disruption that is unavoidable.  

1794607417_GalaxypullingNascerav5.thumb.png.9a1306dfa772de6a0475d67bceaf87d8.png

Passengers/Residents: "Are we there yet?"

Captain: "NO!"

Passengers/Residents: "Are we there yet?"

Captain: "I said NO!"

....😜

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 10

I've observed a small change in Sakura.  Shobu region now appears to have a railway station and a level-crossing for a neighbouring region's (Kingyo/Goldfish) road.

1600081121_Shobu27Apr2022.png.45a468f143e36fe813caa326974d5a66.png 475839718_Shobu4May2022.png.4071001d6d7ba101088e968e2a66652a.png

^ 27th April 2022                                                              ^4th May 2022

I've also turned Shobu by 90 degrees and increased magnification....

1660216982_Shobu(turned)4May2022.thumb.png.b74d2afe1f943161c26e3ee225f8734c.png

Hmm. Shobu means "department", which ties in nicely with the Mole's LDPW department. Instead of a community centre, could the large Shobu building actually be a giant Mole Mart department store....?! 😜

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Leora Greenwood said:

So, what IS a "train elevator" or even a "Train teleport area"?????  Inquiring minds want to know...

I have been having some weird dreams and thoughts recently and this train teleporter coincides with one.

I think for region crossing handover purposes the two connected regions don't need to functionally be next to each other, it might require an experience to control it. I vaguely recall a bug where a region border connected with a different region but that might have been a dream.

Of course it would look odd in general if crossings didn't go where you expected because your view of the next region is dictated by location on the map. But suppose like with the East River Community at the train station you get on your train, You go into a tunnel, you get teleported to a section of railroad to travel in the sky but from your view underground, then on the next underground crossing there is perhaps no need for that crossing to be into an adjacent region. An experience can may be handle it. You could use a system like that to connect Bellisseria with Bay City a Linden gaming area or even Kama City, any where you want just a few region crossings away. From the viewpoint of the traveller the journey would look exactly like it would if the regions were next to each other.

This is wild speculation and quite possibly impossible, but since topic came up as I was having this flight of fancy thought I would share it. 

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

It's easy enough to teleport avatars with an experience, but I don't think this would be possible with a rezzed vehicle.

The East River Community Train Service teleported up into the air, so teleporting isn't the problem. And for that matter Karyn makes a script and portal system I have used for moving bikes and riders around on a region. What I am unsure about is whether it can be done across unconnected regions. I think it can but not 100% sure.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 3

SSPBoomp's "train elevator" markers have vanished and were replaced by a river, roads and bridges!

There are no tunnels, trebuchets, elevators, teleporters, or time-travelling steam trains to be seen.

1106350882_SSPBoomp5May2022.thumb.jpg.8d9d2b4df9450914da208de1769530f6.jpg

This new river (or stream) flows upstream and westwards through SSPBamp , SSPBallomp, then northwards through Whiskey Pond where it narrows, shallows and ends.

The region's south border intregues me as the river 's apparent course is south too, implying that this river could continue southwards through the numerous voids between Newbrooke and Chalets. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 5/4/2022 at 1:43 PM, Patch Linden said:

Your memory is accurate.  The plan still stands that the old Linden Homes continents will mostly go away.  Being the preservationist that I am, I do intend to save some of them for historical purposes and to cater to those who may still want one.  We haven't quite worked out how that will go yet, but I predict that there will be some level of disruption that is unavoidable.  For example, part of what will need to happen is the web based control system for the homes will be have to be removed and replaced with the similar/same control system we use in world today on the new homes.  

Can you give us a rough timeframe on when the old Linden Homes continents will mostly go away ? Sometime in 2023 or 2024 ? 

Edited by Daniel Voyager
  • Like 2