SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

No airports? 😯

. . . yet. 🙂

I have a feeling lots of things are coming. 🙂 Don't know what, but it doesn't seem like LL intends this to be a continent made of nothing but homes packed together and nothing else. They seem to want it to be a living, breathing community and a live part of the mainland. An airport would totally fit with some rumors I've heard.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Heathernorton said:

new continent does not need an airport.  thats what private enterprise is for and the new area is not for that.  

I beg to differ.

See all those roads and waterways? They're not just for "looks". LL want us to explore. They want us to have something to do in the new continent, besides decorating our shiny new LH.

See all those lighthouses, pools, etc? Again, not just for the "looks". They're destinations. When you are out there exploring, or travelling, or whatever, you need those. They become the end goal. Ultimately, once you've seen everything, you travel toward those, eventually.

Forget all we knew about LH. These aren't the old ones. LL is going for something different here. Rez zones, no ban lines, etc... They want us to explore. To go out there, if we choose to.They are giving us more than just a little place to decorate.

And not just airports. But marinas. Offroad trails. Far away islands. A huge community beach. A nice pier with an amusement park. Underwater destinations (a well done wreckage, maybe?), etc... The more of those we get, the more things to do we'll have. And it all adds up nicely to the scenery, when done correctly. In the end, it's a good thing.

Besides, private enterprise? That will be surprisingly hard to do, given that the new continent is exclusively made of LH houses. So either LL add space for those, or we won't see anything like it in the new continent. Personally? I would rather have LL doing it themselves, after seeing the superb work they did with everything else in the new continent.

Finally, think about it. Do you want to see airplanes taking off from the current roads we have? Because, right now, that's what they'll have to do with the present rez zones, if it's not a floatplane. I sure don't.

Edited by Marsellus Walcott
Spelling
  • Like 10

there is no way i want LL involved in something like  an airport marina etc. They have done a magnificent job with the new continent but there are so many broken pieces of SL around. 

How well is the SLRR maintained?  Think we will ever see the continents finished that construction stopped on years ago? The most continually updated areas of SL are run privately. 

LL is best suited on making something that requires little or no maintenance so they can work on other areas of SL. Let folks that are willing to invest their own time and money do this. There is very little money to be made having a marina, airport etc but folks do it because they like to. It's a hobby for people, not a livelihood. Why pay someone a good wage when someone else is willing to do it as a hobby at a fraction of the cost or even pay to do it?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Heathernorton said:

there is no way i want LL involved in something like  an airport marina etc. They have done a magnificent job with the new continent but there are so many broken pieces of SL around. 

How well is the SLRR maintained?  Think we will ever see the continents finished that construction stopped on years ago? The most continually updated areas of SL are run privately. 

LL is best suited on making something that requires little or no maintenance so they can work on other areas of SL. Let folks that are willing to invest their own time and money do this. There is very little money to be made having a marina, airport etc but folks do it because they like to. It's a hobby for people, not a livelihood. Why pay someone a good wage when someone else is willing to do it as a hobby at a fraction of the cost or even pay to do it?

Why?

I believe you're thinking about this the wrong way.

Forget about the common way we think of airports and marinas in the main grid.

Nope, nothing like that.

Think about it as scenery. A destination. Like an island, with a rez zone in it. Very low maintenance (or, at the very least, as much as any regular public place), and not only it adds to the scenery, but also gives planes a place to actually take off from.

If you aren't against lighthouses, parks, pools, beaches, etc... You shouldn't be against an airport, when its added as a prop, with rez zones capability. The same goes for a marina, etc. It's, basically, the same thing, maintenance wise.

Edited by Marsellus Walcott

2 minutes ago, Marsellus Walcott said:

Why?

I think you're thinking about this the wrong way.

Nope, nothing like that.

Think about it as scenery. A destination. Like an island, with a rez zone in it. Very low maintenance (or, at the very least, as much as any regular public place), and not only it adds to the scenery, but also gives planes a place to actually take off from.

If you aren't against lighthouses, parks, pools, beaches, etc... You shouldn't be against an airport, when its added as a prop, with rez zones capability. The same goes for a marina, etc. It's, basically, the same thing, maintenance wise.

That sounds like just a landing strip. I could live with that. but not an airport 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Heathernorton said:

That sounds like just a landing strip. I could live with that. but not an airport 

Perhaps even a "small airport" could make due. Personally i'm eh on airports myself.. and planes now after an incident exploring the new areas and somebody in a plane coming down to try and push me around.

However you do see small airports irl that are maybe a small building and a single airstrip. Overall I think anything more than that is a huge waste of space and resources. It's not like we have huge 700 series planes that need larger airports. The flying community actually seems pretty tiny in the grand scheme of the population.

I have never once seen a single person at any of the airports on the mainlands, even.

Edited by s2Pandora
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, s2Pandora said:

Perhaps even a "small airport" could make due. Personally i'm eh on airports myself.. and planes now after an incident exploring the new areas and somebody in a plane coming down to try and push me around.

However you do see small airports irl that are maybe a small building and a single airstrip. Overall I think anything more than that is a huge waste of space and resources. It's not like we have huge 700 series planes that need larger airports. The flying community actually seems pretty tiny in the grand scheme of the population.

I have never once seen a single person at any of the airports on the mainlands, even.

Just an aside.  I have been selling airplane hangers lately (not exactly a mainstream product) so I was thinking that folks might be buying small plots on the mainland that are CLOSE to Bellisseria and then flying over. 

Can folks just rez a 1024 size prim up at 2000 feet over their parcel to fly off of?  I have never flown so have no idea. That seems like the easiest if possible. True, not all that "immersive" though :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just an aside.  I have been selling airplane hangers lately (not exactly a mainstream product) so I was thinking that folks might be buying small plots on the mainland that are CLOSE to Bellisseria and then flying over.

Aviation in SL is worth looking at again if LL is able to fix region crossings. They're working on it. Either they'll get them fixed this summer or they'll fail, unable to fix their code base. I'd suggest holding off on long-distance transportation projects for now. Lots of potential there if they fix it.

(Something I'd like to do if LL can fix this - make a bus that corners properly. Most SL buses act like they're on a pivot under the bus.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Can folks just rez a 1024 size prim up at 2000 feet over their parcel to fly off of?  I have never flown so have no idea. That seems like the easiest if possible. True, not all that "immersive" though :D

Few problems. The major one would be that you need a plane that could take off in less than 30mts  (probably 20-25mts, realistically speaking. Maybe even less, depending on the size of the given aircraft.), since 32mts is the max distance most 1024 párcels have available. Not all aircraft can do that.

Also, for those that appreciate flying, takeoffs and landings are a very important part of it. Being able to see the scenery apparently has a huge impact on immersion.

Finally, most people that enjoy flying also enjoy doing so while being able to see whats happening around you. 2000mts takeoffs would probably impair in a 1800mts crazy dive immediately after it :P

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

Dogbone Island Municipal Airstrip is now open. 

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Coral Waters/105/147/22

It looks fantastic!  Thank you :)

Snapshot_199.thumb.png.1c2cf9884a48a601a3e2c9fe42c5db53.png

The only problem I have found, is that I can't rez in the boat rez zone yet.  That is okay though, you all have made plenty of them :)

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Marsellus Walcott said:

Why?

I believe you're thinking about this the wrong way.

Nope, nothing like that.

This is all the airplane I'll ever need.

airplane.thumb.jpg.e6a044bc2d0d93e8be172fa44eebbe99.jpg

While I don't really need an airstrip, this one is so cute I might have to land my "airplane" on it just for grins!

28 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

Dogbone Island Municipal Airstrip is now open. 

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Coral Waters/105/147/22

b2177ad4941e523275e55502c87fc3f0.thumb.jpg.68a019da5909b798e7bd0c8981f837e0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

@Abnor Mole  

About the boat rez places. I'm glad they are there, but they look a bit too "video-gamey" and un-natural to me. The piers are fine, but its those stripes in the water!!!

We don't have any over-obvious striped areas on any of the mainland continents  road route rez areas. Instead, there are subtle, discreet roadside signs.  For the boat rez areas, they too should look subtle enough so that they don't look so over- obvious and garish. 

Instead of the stripey phantom prim markers that are now presently there, why not use more subtle RL methods to mark the area? How about a specially coloured set of floating marker buoys  in each corner of the zone (perhaps Linden Lab turquoise?), all set to phantom so that they don't interfere with whatever's rezzed there?

Also, I don't like the location of the new landing strip island, it seems a silly place to put it, in the middle of a main sea channel. And how are Belliserria's residents supposed to drive or walk over to it without an access bridge (which would also block the sea channel) ?  This new landing strip island seems like a very rushed sudden idea, that seemed like a good idea at the time. But I think it should be removed or relocated to somewhere more accessible to Belliserria's road network and footpaths.

Another idea, instead of a landing strip, why not put a few helipads on the tops of some of the lighthouses as helicopter rez areas? SL CoastGuard would like that I think, they could establish a regional base within the lightbouse buildings.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1

It would be really nice if there was a teeny plane rez zone too so that you could take off from there.  Currently you can only fly out if you first approached in a plane.  I can see the boat rez area being used to rez planes if things stay as they are which is not as nice.  A little spot near one end of the airstrip would be marvellous.

11 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

It would be really nice if there was a teeny plane rez zone too so that you could take off from there.  Currently you can only fly out if you first approached in a plane.  I can see the boat rez area being used to rez planes if things stay as they are which is not as nice.  A little spot near one end of the airstrip would be marvellous.

You can rez aircraft on the north-east corner area beside the runway on Dogbone Island.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

You can rez planes on the north-east corner area of the island beside the runway.

Oh great, thanks!  I was trying to find a rez spot but didn't see one about 2 hours ago.  Did it just arrive or was it just not marked?  A marker would be great if there isn't one.