SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

11 hours ago, Marsellus Walcott said:

Things like: Rez zones; an airport; a marina; GTFO spots for sea, land and airborne; connecting the new continent to Jeogeot (and maybe cleaning up a bit more sailable area around Sansara); adding a few more cool public areas to visit (I personally think that a distant island or two - think Blake's "Siren Island" - would be great), maybe some offroad trails, etc, etc... 

If they can give us enough things to do in the new continent as a communty, Bellisseria may become one of the places to be in the near future.

Yes.

• You can already get to Jeogeot. That connection works fine, and I've been to Jeogeot by boat. You can then dock in various marinas.
  • At the Sansara end, you can reach land with a boat, but can't get anywhere useful. The southern edge of Sansara was never really finished. A few more water sims, a road connection, and a dock/marina would make the trip worthwhile.
  • Blake's "Siren Island" is a permanent party. That would be fun.
  • For boat rez areas, some of the lighthouses have a dock. The water next to that dock should be a rez area. When in trouble, head for a lighthouse and re-rez.
  • The new continent is likely to be a busy place because it's populated by people who were in-world on a slow day. So they're active users. The old Linden Homes were owned mostly by people who just checked the box during signup. Those houses just were not used much. The world map would show two or three green dots for a thousand houses.

oughttobearezzone.thumb.jpg.044dc493352511045751ee2e4e994c1e.jpg

You'd expect this to be a rez zone, but it's not. Yet.

Longer term, an airport or two, some commercial marinas, and a little retail might be appropriate. See how the place gets used first.

Edited by animats
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I hear tell of welcoming committees going from house to house to welcome new residents.

I hear residents are forming community groups ranging from general “all resident groups” to groups for specific purposes like a police group.

I see residents asking for things that bring people in rather than drive them away. Things like better connections to the neighboring continents. GTFO hubs. Marinas. Rez zones.

This is a huge win by Linden Labs so far. But it’s also a big win by the residents too. Don’t forget to give yourselves credit too. I remember posting right after the holidays and asking about what was being done to build community in SL regions. Every single person who responded said community building could not be done in SL. Well, the people moving into this new space sure are proving them wrong. Yes, we can have community. We are having it now.

So the next trick is to keep it up. That will be hard. But here are my suggestions:

Don’t just build houses, build things that draw people in and facilitate travel from place to place. Airports. That GTFO hub. A marina. Improved connectivity. And, of course, rez zones. Maybe even put a sail racing start line or two in the water. The specific details are less important than providing reason for people to go there.

Related to that, I would add things geared toward being used by the community itself. I’m thinking public parks. Maybe some areas set up just for sheer beauty. As a shameless plug . . . One thing I remember saying I’d like to do was setup a community somewhere to hold events ranging from art exhibitions to dances to classes to weddings all at no charge to the users. Seems like this could be the perfect place for it, but is there room?

But all and all, I wanna tag @Patch Linden and @Constantine Linden and @Abnor Mole and all others involved so they see they got some serious props. I wanna thank the SL users for making me super happy by proving that SL can and does have community.

And I can’t wait to see whats next. Some serious thought has gone into his so far and I imagine we have not yet seen it all. 

Edited by Female Winslet
Typos
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

Linden lab must have placed a few homes wrong. Including mine. The mailbox and frontdoor are pointing to the sea. While i expect at the other side that's unfinished the add the sidewalk. 😮

It still looks so much better in total.

Mine is like that, too. But it's clearly on purpose, since they built a walkway to the mailbox. I wish I could move the house a bit. I have too little space on the ocean side and too much back yard on the road side.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, animats said:

Mine is like that, too. But it's clearly on purpose, since they built a walkway to the mailbox. I wish I could move the house a bit. I have too little space on the ocean side and too much back yard on the road side.

Mine is like this as well. It's odd. You'd think the backyard would face the ocean and the front yard would face inward, but they have the sidewalk wrap all the way around the house instead. 

Edited by stlshayne

2 hours ago, animats said:

Longer term, an airport or two, some commercial marinas, and a little retail might be appropriate. See how the place gets used first.

An airport would be great for the continent! Maybe some more connectivity too, apart from the roads. An automated train maybe? Or even for the roads, an automated bus?

Edited by stlshayne
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

No airports please! No retail. Second Norway was once a bustling community with quaint, little houses and a community and when they brought in that big airport it sure may have drawn in pilots etc but the lag was horrific and killed the quaint community. One marina would be cool with rezz zones but no airports please!

Second Norway has since become a ghost town to it's former vibrant community.

Edited by Ziggy Starsmith
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

No airports please! No retail. Second Norway was once a bustling community with quaint, little houses and a community and when they brought in that big airport it sure may have drawn in pilots etc but the lag was horrific and killed the quaint community. One marina would be cool with rezz zones but no airports please!

Second Norway has since become a ghost town to it's former vibrant community.

I understand your concern, but im not sure this new continent aims to become a quaint community. I have helicopters by at least once per hour, not to mention the boats and whatnot. I've also seen pilots offering flights over the continent now, since the route is now open. I think that LL could perhaps put a small-medium airport in the right spot to add traffic without impacting the continent, such as adding a small island to the left of the current water route that connects islands. Something that would help inevitable travel, but would not encourage travel over lived-in regions. Like, you know those regions in the far-left on the current continent that have some sailors complaining? Perhaps you could add an airport island there. Who knows.

Edited by stlshayne

5 hours ago, animats said:

For boat rez areas, some of the lighthouses have a dock. The water next to that dock should be a rez area. When in trouble, head for a lighthouse and re-rez.

Along with the lighthouses being rez zones, there are little boathouses located riverside that would also be a good place to rez canoes for traversing the lakes and rivers on the continent. I also foresee a need to rez cars and bikes for exploring the interior.

2 hours ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

No airports please! No retail.

I've already had a helicopter hover nearly at eye level just outside my parcel. This is the type of behavior that really annoys me. There should be a minimum height restriction for all aircraft! But I don't oppose the idea of an airport, and perhaps at that airport there could be commerce of some sort, perhaps ad boards tastefully done would be better than actual shops.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Heathernorton said:

i truly believe the idea of this continent is NOT to compete with existing lands/rentals.

it's quite clear it will hurt the rental companies when the ideas as vented here will be executed .. rezz zones, community building, airports, harbors... no adequate security... and so on..
I hope LL realises the few hands full of new premiums and the whining pilots/sailors, won't bring in the money that they earn the easy way by mainland and estate rental companies.

I seriously doubt they will be executed with the exception of rez zones. I can see that.... maybe.. even then. If you want to put your boat in there, get a houseboat. If you want to drive on the roads, get a house. I am a sailor and a pilot, I got a houseboat. If i was more interested in riding my bike/car etc, I would have gotten a house. 

37 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

it's quite clear it will hurt the rental companies when the ideas as vented here will be executed

I disagree because in order to get a free LL home you have to pay at least $72 a year, the same is true in order buy mainland (even if buying for a group: the actual buyer still must be Premium at the time of the purchase (the last I recall.)) The rental market caters to those people who choose or are unable to do that (upgrade to a premium subscription).

Edited by Alyona Su

2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I've already had a helicopter hover nearly at eye level just outside my parcel. This is the type of behavior that really annoys me. There should be a minimum height restriction for all aircraft! But I don't oppose the idea of an airport, and perhaps at that airport there could be commerce of some sort, perhaps ad boards tastefully done would be better than actual shops.

One of the houseboats near me has put a helicopter pad on their upper deck.  Not sure how I feel about that.

12 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I disagree because in order to get a free LL home you have to pay at least $72 a year, the same is true in order buy mainland (even if buying for a group: the actual buyer still must be Premium at the time of the purchase (the last I recall.)) The rental market caters to those people who choose or are unable to do that (upgrade to a premium subscription).

Actually, any member of a group that has the proper role can buy mainland for the group as long as the group has enough tier.  You only have to personally be Premium if you want to buy for group and donate tier at the same time (owner makes contribution).  The land group could actually be totally tier funded by those groups that rent tier out and the actual "owner" of the group wouldn't have to be Premium at all.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere yet or not (still catching up on threads from overnight).  Anyway, looking back at the actual SSP regions, they have added tons more houseboats along the eastern side.  I'm guessing they'll be moving those sections over to the actual continent soon, giving the high demand right now.

SSP.thumb.JPG.8a29e6d9e49e06489beb2c5b75ca7497.JPG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Actually, any member of a group that has the proper role can buy mainland for the group as long as the group has enough tier.  You only have to personally be Premium if you want to buy for group and donate tier at the same time (owner makes contribution).  The land group could actually be totally tier funded by those groups that rent tier out and the actual "owner" of the group wouldn't have to be Premium at all.

Thank you, I was hazy on it. Either way, the LL Homes still will not sufficiently affect the rentals market in any meaningful way because of the hard requirement of Premium Membership.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 9:05 AM, Coby Foden said:

My house is located near the sea and I can launch my boat from there. When I want to go sailing I just rez the boat on the parcel with the boat stand. Then I just hop on the boat wheel and the boat starts launching itself towards the sea. However the distance to the sea is a bit too much for automatic launching and thus I need to give the boat a helping push with edit.

2019-04-16_boat-launch.thumb.jpg.8b1014734cee7b57e38d27389b02dfcf.jpg

I passed by your house wandering around.  When I saw it I said "Well look at THAT one, that's nicely done, very attractive." 

As for my opinion of the continent as a whole.   Rez zones are needed at those little boathouse shacks they have set up, and at the lighthouses and some corners.  They also need some land based rez zones.  While the community areas are nice, they have the same lack of community control that the community areas at the old Linden home continents did.  However there are more of them and they're logically placed.

And while you can sail from Jeogeot to Belliseria and then on to Sansara, there is no access to Sansara's many interior waterways from the South! (and those southern lakes are separated from the northern and western waterways by those dams because the water level is higher than the rest)  It could be done with added water regions up the northeast side of Sansara from Omoo up to Bleaberry Tarn, and up the northwest side of Sansara up to Keltham.  If that was done, one could sail from Jeogeot all the way to Heterocera.

Overall Belliseria has a sense of cohesion the old Linden Home continents didn't, in fact in some ways it rivals Bay City in that regard, but doesn't have Bay City's non-residential infrastructure.  I would suggest creating a "city island" off to the side of one of the coasts in concert with a Bay City-like resident group.  That could be the place with an airport and city style infrastructure a la Bay City, while keeping the Linden homes..."Linden Homes"

And also Belliseria gives residents a Blake/Bay City style experience....without having to deal with the HUGE buy ins in those areas.  Really, the reason's I got my parcel in the Hidden Lakes when the Premium Tier bonus went up (and they dropped the price of an additional 1024) instead of the Blake or setting in Bay City and hanging out with Marianne and company, was because of how expensive the Bay City and Blake parcels were.

I would also suggest that LL look into linking Heterocera-Sansara-Belliseria-Jeogeot with Gaeta-Nautilus-Satori.  LL should have sequestered private islands FAR away from their own continents in the first place, reserving the area near their contients for their own expansion.  If they had done that we could have had interlinked continents ages ago.  Imagine being able to sail from say Bay City, or my parcel in the Hidden Lakes to the Half Hitch in the Blake!

Edited by CronoCloud Creeggan
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere yet or not (still catching up on threads from overnight).  Anyway, looking back at the actual SSP regions, they have added tons more houseboats along the eastern side.  I'm guessing they'll be moving those sections over to the actual continent soon, giving the high demand right now.

SSP.thumb.JPG.8a29e6d9e49e06489beb2c5b75ca7497.JPG

Ah. That would finish this continent's shape. All edges are complete. So that's as big as this one gets.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, animats said:

Ah. That would finish this continent's shape. All edges are complete. So that's as big as this one gets.

Given the amount of space between the bottom of our new continent and the top of the continent below it, combined with the fact that the new water sims down to that below continent are simply a straight boring line on the western side, I'm thinking they might even later add on to the bottom of the new continent.  In this thread or one of the others, Blush had noted that Patch mentioned to her something about 4000 total regions for Linden Homes.  If they are all going to be part of this continent, then there will definitely be expansion below the existing southern border of the continent.

5 hours ago, CronoCloud Creeggan said:

I would suggest creating a "city island" off to the side of one of the coasts in concert with a Bay City-like resident group.  That could be the place with an airport and city style infrastructure a la Bay City, while keeping the Linden homes..."Linden Homes"

That's a really good idea.  A small section of regular mainland off the side of the new continent.

They also need some land based rez zones.

A good place to start would be these things.

shouldbearezzone.thumb.jpg.739c9987cd1c0bef63801a4f2fe2b286.jpg

This whimsey should be a rez zone. It's not useful for anything else. Currently, 1 minute autoreturn, so you can't even park. A boat launching ramp would not be out of place. Then residents without water access could rez their boat and go sailing. Or even trailer it over and launch it properly.

Edited by animats
  • Like 3

Just look at the Linden Homes wiki page for expansion plans. Don't forget there is still alot of empty spaces around.

The new continent will get ten times bigger in the weeks/months ahead. 

Would be nice to see new sandbox areas / rez zones. 

Edited by Daniel Voyager

45 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Just now I wanred a home and ONLY the old ones were offered!

Seems they have run out by now!

I was wandering through Belisseria and ran into a couple who'd just got one.  The fellow teleported a friend in and was explaining how Linden homes worked and he couldn't get one of the new ones.  So apparently yes, they have run out (AFAIK, check with the Lindens to be sure) unless someone abandons one.  As I said, a LOT of people were wanting a Bay City/Blake experience but couldn't justify the buy-in.

Edited by CronoCloud Creeggan