SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

1 hour ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

Some of you people need to calm down with the demands. It is not finished and these things take time. The alternative is get out, we're closed until completely finished. Jeesh.

The Moles and Lindens are doing a fantastic job.

This! This is starting to remind me of little kids at Christmas, when no matter how many nice gifts they get, they rip the paper off them all then cry "Is that all???"

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

• Moles
8 hours ago, Israel Schnute said:

Linden Labs doesn't have a best practices guidebook for their lands?  I would've thought they were learning from experience how to design these things.  I have a hard time understanding how they did a continent with roads but no rez zones and had prim counts be an issue.  I thought this was essentially mandatory by now to have rights of ways and rez zones placed!

I'm just baffled by the need for all of this, explanation, and retrofitting.  This would've never happened years prior.

I can answer this. The main focus of Linden Homes is the homes themselves. One of the main features is that the home does not count against your parcel prim count. That cost is absorbed by the main parcel. We have to reserve enough Land Impact on that parcel to accommodate the maximum possible LI of all the homes rezzed. The remainder we use for all the decor items in the region. All the roads, streetlights, community areas, trees, bushes, docks, hedges... everything resides on that parcel.  Adding a parcel that shares LI with the main parcel residents can rez on adds an element of risk in not having enough land impact to support the house rezzing system. Adding a rezzing zone to Linden Homes is not as simple or cut and dry as it is on the mainland. Everything has to be carefully balanced. That is why most of the rezzing zones are in regions with no resident houses in them or ones we are still in the process of making. 

Also, the goal is to have as many homes as possible in close proximity to one another without people feeling that they are packed in tightly together as much as we can. Our focus is on a continent of homes with some enjoyable infrastructure rather than a public space with a few homes here and there. We could go crazy adding even more community content around every corner with parks and boat launches and forests and airports and... and... and... Believe me, we LOVE making stuff like that.

But the question is, how many homes would we have to delete in order to do that everywhere? How many people are we willing to leave out in the cold waiting for a home so we can have those cool things we have fun making? That's a careful balance as well. In some areas it makes perfect sense.  Let's make the coastline look natural. Let's have some mountains through here and some rivers through there. Let's use that LI for more trees and plants between the houses or a community space.  Let's not make everything cookie cutter and instead have each region be unique with it's own identity. And let's focus on having as many homes as we can while keeping all those elements that make the continent itself uniquely special. 

It takes longer to do it that way. It takes a lot of work to do it that way too. And hopefully we'll get faster as we go along and it will evolve in certain ways as well. But doesn't that usually end in a better result?

• Like 32
  • Thanks 17

Thank you Abnor for this very clear and useful post, I hope everything is clear for all now; I totally agree with the way LL is doing and with their aim, I noticed  that the houses prims are not counted in the parcels and this is a great gift that everyone surely can appreciate, so thank you LL friends for your amazing work! :) 

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

Also, the goal is to have as many homes as possible in close proximity to one another without people feeling that they are packed in tightly together as much as we can.

I think this goal has been successful so far in areas I've seen, and nicely done.  I was marveling last night while in my backyard about how spacious the parcel felt, even though it is only a 1024 with neighbors on both sides.  I think the hedges, fences and trees, along with the little open areas in-between house parcels really helps with that feeling of spaciousness and privacy. The neighboring house aren't right in your face.  It is a huge improvement, actually, over some mainland or estate parcels, where the parcel lines are right up against each other.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Luna Istmal said:

Thank you Abnor for this very clear and useful post, I hope everything is clear for all now; I totally agree with the way LL is doing and with their aim, I noticed  that the houses prims are not counted in the parcels and this is a great gift that everyone surely can appreciate, so thank you LL friends for your amazing work! :) 

LL house prims have never counted towards your prim limit, far as I can remember (as their root-prim used to be on the Linden-owned portion of the region).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Luna Istmal said:

You remember right, but there is a difference: the old houses are smaller, have less prims and allow only 117 prims to use.

On that note, how many prims do you get on a land with those new homes? I've seen some homes that looked pretty heftily prim-occupied (ugh, I should have found a cleaner way to put that). Some of the furniture on the photos posted here I even recognize.

The sims only have something like 13k prims total. Imagine the prims everybody would get if it were a full prim.

Overall though, they did do a very awesome job at giving the illusion of space on a size that would look tiny most anywhere else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Luna Istmal said:

Patience is always a virtue and often very much worth the wait. You just take your time because it's apparent, to me at least, that it can only get better from here on out as the experience of previous versions enhance future versions.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Luna Istmal said:

You remember right, but there is a difference: the old houses are smaller, have less prims and allow only 117 prims to use.

Just a small correction -- having actually had an older linden home myself, until 2 weeks ago - the old homes had 175 prims to use, just like any other 512 mainland plot has had since the prim allotment per sqm was increased some time ago.   (The web pages are showing out of date information, but the reality on the ground, is 175 LI available for the older LH's).

(I know that this is not completely relevant to the new home conversations, but I don't like to see incorrect information being repeated.) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

I think this goal has been successful so far in areas I've seen, and nicely done.  I was marveling last night while in my backyard about how spacious the parcel felt, even though it is only a 1024 with neighbors on both sides.  I think the hedges, fences and trees, along with the little open areas in-between house parcels really helps with that feeling of spaciousness and privacy. The neighboring house aren't right in your face.  It is a huge improvement, actually, over some mainland or estate parcels, where the parcel lines are right up against each other.  

This X 100 times.

It is not until now, that I feel how bad it was with parcels touching. Communal land between the houses is the best idea LL has had.

@Abnor Molecan bring that information on, so the guy who had the idea, can feel how happiness is radiating out of Belliseria.

Edited by Marianne Little
spelling
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I suspect that the Knowledge Base page will have an overhaul now.  It has to be a little confusing to have the Old Linden Homes and the New Linden Homes, and get information about both in the KB.

yes is all a bit messy at the moment.  When buy a old 512m Linden Home the buy page says that you can have a skybox there above 2000m.  In the About Land parcel covenant it still says no you can't

(I know that this is not completely relevant to the new home conversations, but I don't like to see incorrect information being repeated.) 

Ty for telling, I left my old Linden Home some time ago for using my 1024 sqm in mainland buying a parcel as the new homes were not ready yet; so LL already increased the prims, that is very good anyway cause in every other parcel you have to count the house prims, moreover you have a better house now, this fact confirm also that LL take care of us Premium members :)

(you did good to clarify, but I didn't repeat this information, I just wrote one time, I guess you mean to be read by many people, it is ok cause your correction doesn't affect the good opinion people have about the work LL is doing, and confirms mine. )  :)

Edited by Luna Istmal
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

yes is all a bit messy at the moment.  When buy a old 512m Linden Home the buy page says that you can have a skybox there above 2000m.  In the About Land parcel covenant it still says no you can't

This is a point to clarify, the rules in the info land of the new homes still say that you can have a skybox  above 2000 m.

• Like 1

• Moles
2 minutes ago, Luna Istmal said:

This is a point to clarify, the rules in the info land of the new homes still say that you can have a skybox  above 2000 m.

That's correct.  The covenant in the NEW Linden Homes allows you to make a skybox above 2000m, but the covenant in the OLD Linden Homes does not allow skyboxes at all.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dyna Mole said:

That's correct.  The covenant in the NEW Linden Homes allows you to make a skybox above 2000m, but the covenant in the OLD Linden Homes does not allow skyboxes at all.

when you claim an old 512m Linden Home, the web page actually says that you can have a skybox above 2000m. I just claimed one about an hour ago just to see what it would say

messy

Edited by Mollymews
messy
  • Thanks 1

• Moles
1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

when you claim an old 512m Linden Home, the web page actually says that you can have a skybox above 2000m. I just claimed one about an hour ago just to see what it would say

Hmmm.. Thanks.  I'll take a look at that and let someone know.

• Like 1