SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

@Abnor Mole  

About the boat rez places. I'm glad they are there, but they look a bit too "video-gamey" to me. The piers are fine, but its those stripes in the water!!!

We don't have any over-obvious striped areas on any of the mainland continents  road route rez areas. Instead, there are subtle, discreet roadside signs.  For the boat rez areas, they too should look subtle enough so that they don't look so over- obvious and garish. 

Instead of the stripey phantom prim markers that are now presently there, why not use more subtle RL methods to mark the area? How about a specially coloured set of floating marker buoys  in each corner of the zone (perhaps Linden Lab turquoise?), all set to phantom so that they don't interfere with whatever's rezzed there?

Also, I don't like the location of the new landing strip island, it seems a silly place to put it, in the middle of a main sea channel. And how are Belliserria's residents supposed to drive or walk over to it without an access bridge (which would also block the sea channel) ?  This new landing strip island seems like a very rushed sudden idea, that seemed like a good idea at the time. But I think it should be removed or relocated to somewhere more accessible to Belliserria's road network and footpaths.

Another idea, instead of a landing strip, why not put a few helipads on the tops of some of the lighthouses as helicopter rez areas? SL CoastGuard would like that I think, they could establish a regional base within the lightbouse buildings.

Well, they probably placed it there because that sim has the LI to spare, since its just plain water, apparently. Also, the approach there has no obstacles whatsoever, which is another plus as well.

If that's, indeed, the case, perhaps some sort of scripted barge, big enough to fit a car or two in it if needed, traveling from the NE part of that sim (has some land in it) towards the island and back every few minutes could work?

Would also possibly become something fun to do as well.

I also felt like it could have a few more props in the lil' island. Something to attract ppl there as a destination, besides just pilots? A picnic area, maybe a little beach, stuff like that. Just some ideas for the nearby future, when the moles aren't with their hands so full as right now (they still have to deal with the LH deficit, which is a much more important matter, imho)

As I said previously, the sim has the LI to spare anyways. So why not use just a bit more of it as well, right? ;)

Edited by Marsellus Walcott
  • Like 1

Instead of the stripey phantom prim markers that are now presently there, why not use more subtle RL methods to mark the area? How about a specially coloured set of floating marker buoys  in each corner of the zone (perhaps Linden Lab turquoise?), all set to phantom so that they don't interfere with whatever's rezzed there?

Most LL/mole created boat rez zones are inside of a square shaped parcel. They are not marked at all except for the parcel division. You can see this in the Blake Sea regions, Sea of Fables, Mare Secundus, etc. On the other hand, some resident created areas and events (Starboard's Yacht Club, Hotlaps, etc.) use a phantom sign to mark where the rez zone is. I'm sure someone has marked rez zones with buoys somewhere, but I can't think of a location off the top of my head and it definitely is not the usual. 

Still, I'm flexible. I don't need a marking at all.

For those who are wondering about finding rez zones in the sea or on the island or elsewhere, the secret is to show parcel markings on the mini map. Rez zones are separate parcels. So having parcel markings enabled on the minimap basically gives you a map to help find them. In areas without a lot of parcel subdivisions, like most Linden parcels, a subdivided parcel is usually a rez zone. Or a race line. But the race line is long and thin, so it looks different. 🙂

Also, I don't like the location of the new landing strip island, it seems a silly place to put it, in the middle of a main sea channel. And how are Belliserria's residents supposed to drive or walk over to it without an access bridge (which would also block the sea channel) ?  This new landing strip island seems like a very rushed sudden idea, that seemed like a good idea at the time. But I think it should be removed or relocated to somewhere more accessible to Belliserria's road network and footpaths.

Well, it is an airstrip and we can all fly in SL, so I guess the obvious suggestion would be that Belliserria's residents could make a short flight over there. Of more concern, imho, is the location in a sea lane. That seems like something that may need mitigation. 

Another idea, instead of a landing strip, why not put a few helipads on the tops of some of the lighthouses as helicopter rez areas? SL CoastGuard would like that I think, they could establish a regional base within the lightbouse buildings.

Well, a helipad wouldn't serve fixed wing aircraft at all, whereas a runway is just fine for helicopters. We can do a vertical take off and landing off to one side of it. We can also actually fly approaches and take offs that use the runway as a horizontal surface that we fly over to achieve translation lift. See diagrams 2 and 3, the normal and running take offs,  on this link to see what I mean. https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/23214/when-an-airport-has-helipads-why-would-a-helicopter-take-off-or-land-on-a-runwa

Also, I certainly cannot speak for SL Coast Guard, but as an average helicopter flyer and sailor, I would have to say that helipads on top of lighthouses sound like they'd be downright bizarre looking and probably really ugly. Not really in keeping with all the effort that has been made to be normal, nice looking, and natural. 

43 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

We had a lot of fun taking off from the landing strip tonight in our helicopter and then flying around most of the continent. I'm very happy with all the new features we are getting almost daily. Busy moles! :)

I echo the pleasure at what keeps getting added! I also tried taking off from the landing strip and flying around the continent. Unfortunately, I had an in flight emergency. The controls became partially unresponsive following a sim crossing. I tried to turn around and fly across the island for an emergency landing on the new landing strip so I could try standing and reseating. But I was immediately teleported back home to Sansara by someone's 0 second warning security orb. Usually I go back, figure out who the person was, and AR them for zero second orbs. But with the new LL official orb coming so soon, I figured it wasn't worth the bother to LL or to myself. But I can't wait for that LL official orb to appear!

• Like 3

• Moles
2 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Because it's called Linden Homes and homes are and always will be the main focus. Most people aren't going to want to live right next to an airport. It's far enough away that it won't bother most people. It doesn't block the waterway (I watched several large vessels navigate past it easily). It's simple and basic but doesn't spoil anyone's view. And it does what it's designed to do, which is give people a place to rez aircraft, take off and land. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

7 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

Because it's called Linden Homes and homes are and always will be the main focus. Most people aren't going to want to live right next to an airport. It's far enough away that it won't bother most people. It doesn't block the waterway (I watched several large vessels navigate past it easily). It's simple and basic but doesn't spoil anyone's view. And it does what it's designed to do, which is give people a place to rez aircraft, take off and land. 

You and the other Moles don't receive enough appreciation for all the work that you are doing.
Thank you for putting in the extra work to try and accommodate everyone. Thank you for making SL look prettier. Thank you for all that you Moles do.

There is one but. You forgot to make the Boat rez zone on Dogbone Island an actual rez zone. Build and object entry are still off on that parcel :D
I'll bet that's because you already have a lot on your mind, but it does puzzle people 🙂

• Like 9

I adore the small airstrips - I sat there an hour or so tonight watching planes and helicopters take off and land..together with some other people. Everyone had a good time..and there was boats driving by both smaller and bigger and none had any issue getting by..its just like a small island in the ocean... we got those in RL also 😄

• Like 7

I really appreciate what Linden Lab did and is still doing: Bellisseria is a living continent where people can enjoy their favourite activities; the rezzing zones are also spaces where people can meet others interested in the same activity and socialize, so I have to thank our Linden friends for their great work. I cannot understand instead who doesn't like flying or sailing and driving, that is their right ofc, but is not fair to complain for having what they don't need, as it is others right to enjoy the place at the best. Anyway I am waiting for a houseboat, I hope they will come soon, cannot wait … laughs :D

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

This is all the airplane I'll ever need.

airplane.thumb.jpg.e6a044bc2d0d93e8be172fa44eebbe99.jpg

While I don't really need an airstrip, this one is so cute I might have to land my "airplane" on it just for grins!

This is CUTE! Where did you get it? I have now a bike and a rowboat both wearable might go on to a wearable PLANE! ;)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

This is CUTE! Where did you get it? I have now a bike and a rowboat both wearable might go on to a wearable PLANE! ;)

My sweet friend gave it to me!! She got it from What Next. It's a gacha so for I think 50L or 75L you can have one too! It really is fun and flies really fast. It's a wearable as well.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Blush Bravin said:

My sweet friend gave it to me!! She got it from What Next. It's a gacha so for I think 50L or 75L you can have one too! It really is fun and flies really fast.

I think that was also where I picked up a helicopter. Luckily for me I live across the street from a big open grassy "Linden Homes Coming Soon!" sim because I looked like Wile E Coyote when I took off with it!

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Female Winslet said:

I'm sure someone has marked rez zones with buoys somewhere, but I can't think of a location off the top of my head and it definitely is not the usual. 

I'm using a rez zone marker at my boathouse the same as the Moles and for what is likely the same reason: so passers-by know that it's a rez zone. because if you are dismounted from your boat in an unfamiliar area, it's nice to be able to cam from up high, looking down and seeing these in the water. In my case, it's because almost all parcels are privately locked and I want to show that my spot is publicly available for rezzing (in the middle of a large gaggle of houseboats). I thought about just posting a sign, but also realized no one will see it because we don't usually go reading every sign we pass as we sail.:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

About the boat rez places. I'm glad they are there, but they look a bit too "video-gamey" and un-natural to me. The piers are fine, but its those stripes in the water!!!

We don't have any over-obvious striped areas on any of the mainland continents  road route rez areas. Instead, there are subtle, discreet roadside signs.  For the boat rez areas, they too should look subtle enough so that they don't look so over- obvious and garish. 

I don't have any issue with the way the new rez areas look here.  Considering that we didn't have any when the continent first opened, and that as far as I could tell, there were not any at all on the original Linden Home continents, I was both very surprised and pleased that the moles responded so quickly to residents' requests for land and water rez areas and for an air strip.  

Unless one sails all the time in the Blake area, or reads a lot of SL wiki documentation, the fact that there are unmarked rez zones in a corner of a water sim is probably not general knowledge (and would certainly not be general knowledge to new players - who eventually will be able to get one of the new Linden Homes when they join and become premium).  The obvious rez zones may encourage people to try out the different modes of transportation.    

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Linden Labs doesn't have a best practices guidebook for their lands?  I would've thought they were learning from experience how to design these things.  I have a hard time understanding how they did a continent with roads but no rez zones and had prim counts be an issue.  I thought this was essentially mandatory by now to have rights of ways and rez zones placed!

I'm just baffled by the need for all of this, explanation, and retrofitting.  This would've never happened years prior.

Correcting some of the previous posters.  Rez Zones typically do have signs.  If you travel around the mainland, you notice a cool thing that every continent and area has a different flavor.

Also, airport traffic.  I never seen the airport in Bay City needing an ATC.  The crowded ones are crowded for other reasons.  I doubt the airstrip here will have ATC issues.  Most do not.

A suggestion to the Moles.  All that is needed to correct the issue is for public land.  The exurbian sprawl comes with amenities like playgrounds, or parks, etc.  Moles used to make some gas stations and diners in the older sims.  Or what we used to call "prim farms".  You can do a lot on a prim farm and not defeat it's purpose.

As for the comments hereafter about people not wanting to live next to a park.  Well, offline you choose your location and move if you don't like the location, they can and do on here too.  So it is a nonissue.  I would personally probably prefer to live next to such an area if I were in the market.

Edited by Israel Schnute

A Suggest i would like to give is because how some spots are pretty tough to figure out where to get from the waters from the boat houses . onto the Linden house roads . So id like to suggest the addition of possibly a boat launch . it doesnt take much just a slopped road into the water that then can be direct connected to a road . i think this for a rezz spot for roads would even be perfect . as the light houses are for the water and the boat launches could work for both cars as well as for the boats for the water :D but i do ask if possible at least a 10 / 15 min return time allow ppl to have fun with there car and trailer to be able to tow there boat from there house and put it into the water as for there are vehicles and boats that u can tow across sims . as for in the linden homes idk if they can but even still to prep a setup to do family pics of launching the boat before a fun family sailing trip would do so many wonders for so many people