Bakes on Mesh Feedback Thread

Alexa Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Morgana Hilra said:

I am so confused by this BOM.

Some are saying that mesh bodies are out the door if we use this feature..

Others are saying it's so we can use our old system skins ON our mesh bodies.

Even in this thread, the opinions bounce back and forth.

I think I will wait til there is less confusion.

Basically it means that you can put on system layers on Mesh Bodies and Heads. So if you still have old system layers, you can use them on your Mesh Body and Head. It is not gonna get rid of mesh bodies, and cool little tidbit of info. These new System Layers got an upgrade, instead of being able to upload 512 pixels for a system layer. You can now upload a whopping 1024 pixels for these new system layers. So you can now have higher quality system skins and other stuff.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2019 at 2:54 AM, FaintOutline said:

If BOM becomes the only way -- is there a solution other than trashing many thousands of clothes?

everything that works now for us, will continue to work for us in the same way

i may use a BoM-enabled body one day and I may not. Will depend on what else I might be able to get which will justify it. BoM on its own is not enough for me. I don't wear bodyart for example. If I did wear bodyart then sure, but I don't

in the same way, I have some pre=bento hand jewels which I love.  So I wear my pre-bento hands with these. Then the jeweller updated the jewels to bento. So I thought that was worth wearing the bento hands for. Some other jewels haven't been updated so I continue to wear my pre-bento hands with them

same also with my mesh head. Is a pre-bento head and I love it. There is nothing about any bento head that would justify for me changing my head

the other thing I do like about body layers is that the underwear layer, wears like underwear and is not skin tight. So I can't see myself not using this layer any time soon

On 9/12/2019 at 1:44 AM, LucyHerne said:

What I've actually found is that a lot of the Alpha Layers for Standard sizes don't actually work too well with mesh bodies, often showing the transparent area outside the clothes. However, to counter that, I've found that in almost all cases the Alpha Layer textures DON'T need to be anywhere near as carefully made as before. Pants & jeans, for instance, often need only a portion of the legs and around the groin area to be hidden.

Yes I tried Blueberry's alpha for their stockings, and it was too tight and left "air" showing, however the boot Alpha from Slink was enough.   Frankly however I want  alpha cuts which works for everything I own -- because I demo everything I buy, and I look closely.  And I own a lot of clothes - thousands of dresses.

• 3 weeks later...

technical questions for the lindens.  (or if anybody knows??)

1: BAKES PLACEHOLDER TEXTURES:

are we gonna get, in the library maybe, the textures for the bake zones?  so we can just throw the textures onto stuff, instead of having to always use a script?

2: BAKES ON ANIMESH:

yes, yes, it only works on avatars, because only avatars can wear skins, tattoos, etc etc.  but i understand enabling animesh to use body shapes is in the pipeline.  if animesh can be made to use/wear body shapes, perhaps it could also be made to wear... skins and tattoos, etc etc etc...

someday? 

well.  i can hope?

thank you, and everybody enjoy your baking!  i know i am :)

• Lindens

Bloodsong, re: your questions:

1. You can set faces to use baked textures without using a script. Edit the object and go into the texture picker, then pick "Bake" and select which baked texture you want using the dropdown.

2. We've had a lot of requests for Bakes on Animesh, and it is a possible future project.

For more info about Bakes on Mesh, you may also want to check out the knowledgebase article:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kai Lyvingstone said:

I am very very confused by this feature. So like... I have a bunch of old system shirt/jacket layer clothes in my inventory. So I can't just 'wear' them and they automatically go over my avatar now? I thought that's how easy it was gonna be, sigh. It seems so needlessly complicated.

And you can do that just fine as long as the avatar has support for bake on mesh and properly made UVs.

I've been playing around with the BOM relays for Catwa and Maitreya for the last 2 hours.  They were free :)  I thought, "what the hey, I'll give it a go"  This is what I think about it all.  I won't use any of my old skins that are pre mesh body.  Granted, they are easy to apply, but, my old skins are too dark.  I will have to buy all new in order to go BOM.  I am not going to rush into it.  I'll take my time as I don't want to change my look drastically.  I do like the fact that I can apply breast veining to the skin and not have it interact with the mesh nipples I wear for photography.  I will be able to wear both at the same time with BOM.  This is a good thing for those that like to wear a multitude of Ink and makeup.  I am not one of those but it does expand the possibilities for a large majority of the SL population.  Will I be digging through all my storage boxes for all those system/prim clothes I packed away back in 2014?  Heck NO!!!   I might use a top here and there for layering or there is this one gown that is mesh and has a system lace piece that I will now be able to wear again.  The point is I don't want my clothes to look like they have been painted on.  I am not going backwards.  Forever forward is my mantra. I am open to BOM and it will be interesting to see what the creators in SL do with it.

Post script: another pro to BOM is that I can wear my old hairbases and not have it interact with the alphas in mesh hair.  SO glad that I am a pack rat :) cause I kept them all.

I can also wear my makeup that uses applier system along with BOM layers together

Edited by Cougar Sangria

9 hours ago, Kai Lyvingstone said:

I am very very confused by this feature. So like... I have a bunch of old system shirt/jacket layer clothes in my inventory. So I can't just 'wear' them and they automatically go over my avatar now? I thought that's how easy it was gonna be, sigh. It seems so needlessly complicated.

Sl "programming"

On 9/11/2019 at 4:54 PM, FaintOutline said:

Well today I loaded a BOM body, Slink and a BOM head Lelutka, and used new Glam Affair skins, and Bolson tattoos.   It all went easy as could be --  https://gyazo.com/60c28d6cffd72c29a7bcbf33f0bb1508.

UNTIL -- I tried to use my clothes.

Almost nothing worked!!   3years of making mesh clothes which rely on Alpha cuts left me with nothing but a huge mess.    I would literally have to open Photoshop and make thousands of alphas, months of WORK not game play.   What I do not personally understand -- is it completely impossible to have an alpha HUD? Is Slink's solution to build thousands of Alphas in Photoshop the only way?   If so I will not be using BOM, I am simply not willing to give up all my mesh clothing (I rough guess is only about 10% of my clothes have alphas) .   I don't think Photoshop should be part of the SL experience for every user.

If BOM becomes the only way -- is there a solution other than trashing many thousands of clothes?

OK reading this thread I see that there is a lot of confusion about BoM and clothing alphas

It seems that people believe that they must choose between HUD driven alpha cuts for hiding body parts OR clothing alphas

Well I need to say that it is not a case, you can perfectly use both systems on SAME body if it is configured properly!

Personally I support Slink decision to through away slicing all together since it will benefit from low complexity and lowering LAG

For those nonbelievers in here I prepared proof here is a gyazo link that will prove to you that I am wearing BoM body, using its HUD to cut parts of it and I am also wearing system clothing alpha and all is working as intended since body creator did his homework and read LL guideline how to implement BoM properly 

https://gyazo.com/ba3129aa59b9dfe26db11e923a1eb454

So, creators of our MESH bodies and heads: please don't be so arrogant to decide for us if we can use or not some BoM feature, thanks in advance  

• Like 1

I have a question for those who have been making system skins for mesh body parts. A friend of mine asked me today if I knew how to approach making a skin for the body and making a skin for the head. That's the method we've been doing with appliers for ages now, but I wasn't sure how to answer that question. As far as I know we can only wear one skin at a time so we can't have one skin for the body and then another for the head. The only solution I could come up with was to make a skin for the body and then to make a tattoo layer for the head's skin. 

Anyone faced this dilemma and found a solution?

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

I have a question for those who have been making system skins for mesh body parts. A friend of mine asked me today if I knew how to approach making a skin for the body and making a skin for the head. That's the method we've been doing with appliers for ages now, but I wasn't sure how to answer that question. As far as I know we can only wear one skin at a time so we can't have one skin for the body and then another for the head. The only solution I could come up with was to make a skin for the body and then to make a tattoo layer for the head's skin. 

Anyone faced this dilemma and found a solution?

I am not sure that I understand a question well, but: system skin is like omega skin: applies to the whole body at once

Difference is that you needed some kind of system to deliver skin to mesh, like Body/Head HUD or applier or universal Omega but now with BoM we do not need appliers only system skins and it will bake to mesh

System skin (or whole body applier) is composed of 3 textures, Head/ Upper body/ Lower body

There is no need to wear more than 1 system skin, and it will cover both head and a body

Hope this helps

Edited by PenGemini

6 minutes ago, PenGemini said:

I am not sure that I understand a question well, but: system skin is like omega skin: applies to the whole body at once

Difference is that you needed some kind of system to deliver skin to mesh, like Body/Head HUD or applier or universal Omega but now with BoM we do not need appliers only system skins and it will bake to mesh

System skin (or whole body applier) is composed of 3 textures, Head/ Upper body/ Lower body

Hope this helps

Thanks for trying but this doesn't address my question. :) A skinner that has been making mesh body appliers and mesh head appliers will understand this question. Let me see if I can explain better so you understand.

For several years now we have been shopping for a skinner that makes both body and head appliers. Typically the skinner will make one set of body appliers per mesh body. There will also make dozens if not several dozens of head appliers based on mesh head type. Consumers find a mesh head applier they like best and then buy the coordinating mesh body applier to match that head skin. Now we need a way for consumers to buy a skin for their mesh head and a skin for their mesh body but since we can only wear one skin with BoM we have to find another way to get that head skin on our mesh head.

Edited by Blush Bravin

maybe like this: why you would need 2 system skins to wear?

If you go BoM, it does not matter what combo of mesh body/system body/mesh head/system head you will choose all of them will take from 3 textures that are in system skin

If you don't go BoM, than nothing is changed, you will use body/head specific appliers or omega

2 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Thanks for trying but this doesn't address my question. :)

It would seem to me that the simplest workflow would to make skins "head first" - with the unique work done in the head slot - and have the upper and lower slots filled with the textures that would be used for Omega appliers. The skin maker could then offer more body-specific upper and lower body textures as tattoos that would work for all head skins. That's roughly how Pink Fuel did things for system skins - they sell all their body mods as tattoo layers.

5 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

It would seem to me that the simplest workflow would to make skins "head first" - with the unique work done in the head slot - and have the upper and lower slots filled with the textures that would be used for Omega appliers. The skin maker could then offer more body-specific upper and lower body textures as tattoos that would work for all head skins. That's roughly how Pink Fuel did things for system skins - they sell all their body mods as tattoo layers.

I think it would be easier to have the skin be based on the mesh body with no details whatsoever in the head slot other than a base skin. Then sell tats for the heads based on head style. 

But I'm not a skinner. My friend who asked is associated with the skinning profession here in SL. These are the types of things that skinners are dealing with now in trying to accommodate BoM for their customers.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Thanks 1

how would some make skin is connected where Body/Head makers will swing and if they wil continue to use onion layers for appliers or not

Let's say that onion layers are gone, than system skin should be base and all enchantments should be tattoo layers, I think that is a best approach, same  issue were in the old days of system skins and sadly never agreed on, so we had some creators that did base skins and tattoo addons and we had some creators that did multiple skins baked for different addons

If onion layers are still there, that changes things dramatically since system skin and system tattoo will be baked on closest to center layer and next or even 3 onion will cover that completely 

As Blush poined, that would be the easier path. Skin for bodies white a simple color head with the base color and tattoo layer for head skins.
Another solution would be to bundle head with body skins just like we has been doing for a lot of years before meshes. Yeah skins would be more expensive probably.
The ideal case would be to be able to wear more than one system skin and be able to leave empty slots on them without having to rely on other kind of system layers like tattoo.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.