Bakes on Mesh Feedback Thread

Alexa Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 903 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, Cesartje said:

I cant get clothes alpha to work - i wear it, and nothing happens. It used to work fine. Help. 

I don't know which body you are using, but if by chance it's the Maitreya, then regular system alphas won't work to make parts of the body invisible yet. Once the body is really updated to BoM those system alphas will do what alpha cuts do now. Currently, the HUD provided by Maitreya is a temporary measure to let people experiment with Bakes on the body. You can only use system layers such as skins, tattoos and clothing layers for now. 

update: belleza doesnt work with clothes alpha, i tried the blending and the masking - skin and tats apply fine, but alpha layers dont work. I tried exmachina BOM and slink redux, both work fine with the clothes alpha. Maybe something to do with the fact that belezza still have onions? My partner has the Signature bakes on mesh and clothes alpha doesnt apply either. 

19 minutes ago, Cesartje said:

update: belleza doesnt work with clothes alpha, i tried the blending and the masking - skin and tats apply fine, but alpha layers dont work. I tried exmachina BOM and slink redux, both work fine with the clothes alpha. Maybe something to do with the fact that belezza still have onions? My partner has the Signature bakes on mesh and clothes alpha doesnt apply either. 

Setting it to alpha masking isn't enough without a proper cutoff value set. 

Also, this thread should be left about questions regarding BOM or problems at time of using it. I don't think that it's the best place to ask for support to dedicated products. You could always ask on each mesh body group or directly to their creator. Most people here can't assist you at all since most mesh bodies are no mod. 

8 minutes ago, Kitsune Shan said:

Setting it to alpha masking isn't enough without a proper cutoff value set. 

Also, this thread should be left about questions regarding BOM or problems at time of using it. I don't think that it's the best place to ask for support to dedicated products. You could always ask on each mesh body group or directly to their creator. Most people here can't assist you at all since most mesh bodies are no mod. 

ok, so sorry, I thought it was a bom related problem, i should have tried other bodies before posting -  my bad. Once again, sorry.

Edited by Cesartje
typo (as always)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Quynh Zemlja said:

oky here is  weirdness my skin is rom nominee  I use the  baked on mesh from maitreya so I have a classic head and  mesh body its so  weird it  seems my head and  body are  2  different  skins argh anyone  else having this issue

A lot will depend on the lighting. With advanced lighting on and/or certain light settings, a mesh body will react differently to light than the default head will, especially if you've got materials (shine, etc.) turned on for your mesh body.

Another possibility is that the body has been tinted, which you might have done to adjust the body to your head skin before you turned on Bakes-on-Mesh for the body.

• 1 month later...

Wow!  I am impressed,  I just received the Maitreya Lara V5 BOM version..  as an update at no additional cost..  and I must say after reading all the information about it and trying it out  I am very very impressed indeed.  This body covers it all!  Everything you need as a mesh body, alpha sections hud included, plus the BOM features and more...  Thank you Maitreya, this was well worth waiting for!

Am I correct in thinking that we will have to strip back down to a test male or female avatar covered with a mesh avatar we download along with all its "faces"?  What happens to our mesh bodies, e.g., Maitreya?  Do we have to detach it and wear the downloaded mesh one for BoM and switch bodies when not using BoM or can the Maitreya look be baked on as another layer?   If I cant make the BoM avatar look like my Maitreya I think Ill leave it all well alone.

Edited by Tallulah Bilavio

1 minute ago, Tallulah Bilavio said:

Am I correct in thinking that we will have to strip back down to a test male or female avatar covered with a mesh avatar we download along with all its "faces"?  What happens to our mesh bodies, e.g., Maitreya?  Do we have to detach it and wear the downloaded mesh one for BoM and switch bodies when not using BoM?   If I cant make the BoM avatar look like my Maitreya I think Ill leave it all well alone.

If you have Maitreya, just get a re-delivery, and the re-delivery will be the BOM enabled Maitreya body which you can use just as you're using your current Maitreya body (without BOM) or you can 'turn off' the additional layers and choose BOM for the skin option (all done within the HUD). 

There is no separate 'BOM avatar' - it's existing mesh bodies that have been enabled or reconfigured to have BOM enabled.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello is there a bug with eyelashes or what am I doing wrong, if I try to place eyelashes where they are supposed to be at the top right corner of the head texture, they just don't show up with bakes on mesh ?

I made sure to create new body parts items, no old or default texture is worn... yet default eyelashes show up instead of the ones on my texture.

In the end I gave up and moved the eyelashes to a separate material and set it to aux1
On the head slot I just can't get it to work. Is that expected ? Thanks.

38 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

Hello is there a bug with eyelashes or what am I doing wrong, if I try to place eyelashes where they are supposed to be at the top right corner of the head texture, they just don't show up with bakes on mesh ?

I made sure to create new body parts items, no old or default texture is worn... yet default eyelashes show up instead of the ones on my texture.

In the end I gave up and moved the eyelashes to a separate material and set it to aux1
On the head slot I just can't get it to work. Is that expected ? Thanks.

The alpha that creates individual lashes for the system eyelashes is built into the head bake - you can't define a different pattern in that area.

Instead of using an aux channel you might try using an unused portion of one of the main bakes.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The alpha that creates individual lashes for the system eyelashes is built into the head bake - you can't define a different pattern in that area.

Instead of using an aux channel you might try using an unused portion of one of the main bakes.

Thank you Theresa. Is there already a jira for that ?

On 5/13/2020 at 11:01 AM, Silas Merlin said:

Thank you Theresa. Is there already a jira for that ?

No, but if you download the original SL UV Head map layout, you'll find a pair of inverted lash paths in the top right corner, approximately 8x24 map squares in shape.  It's demarked by a thick black line with small lines feathered out from it.

• 4 months later...

OK I was a skeptic regarding bakes on mesh,  I stalled and yes complained too..  BUT I thought for others who were like me, that I would post this, might give some assurance that is does actually work.  Although it will take a fair amount of effort to get it all coordinated and working for you.  

I put a concerted effort into this whole thing this past week,  when a new Catwa HDPRO head came out that I just could not resist.  But it did not have the ability to apply hair base with applier.  You could only get a hairbase you wanted in BOM mode.  So that gave me the push to solve my BOM issue.  

After 4 full days of skin and head demos..  I was pretty discouraged,  I would find a head skin that looked great but there was not matching body skin for it..  or I would find a great skin but no head skin to match..  or I would find something that did work for both head and body but the colour was too light for my taste.  IN the end I deleted over 1K items all demos.

The good news is that all that finally paid off:  I found a skin and head to match in a colour I liked.. and the head skin matched my own body shape for my head almost perfectly, only had to tweak a little bit.  AND I am now fully BOM all the way.. thanks to my Maitreya body..  I can go full BOM and still wear all my mesh clothing and if I need to hide a poke through part, I can still use my body hud's alpha sections.  

A lot of work, trial and error but in the end I am now a happy camper.. totally enjoying mixing mesh with system layers added here and there for tats, under shirts panties etc.  

So guess I wanted to post something positive :)  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Can I raise an Issue on the types of attached items that can render with a BoM texture... I appreciate this may have been discussed back in April and May 2020 and have been looking back to try to find the reasons that @Vir Lindenmade a change between 6.4.6 and 6.4.7 to limit the BoM textures to be applied to only rigged mesh worn on the avatar and to exclude HUDs. Previously the behaviour was just to check it was an avatar attached item of any type. The change means that prim (and sculpt) parts of worn attachments no longer are rendered with BoM and fall back to the coloured backup textures. The actual examples I was retrying after a gap in use was a flexi-prim tail that was meant to be textured the same as the worn skin. It worked great up to 6.4.6 but not in the latest viewer, and going back I found the change was introduced in 6.4.7. The actual line of code is inindra/newview/llviewerobject.cpp ...

if (avatar && isRiggedMesh() && !isHUDAttachment())

prevIously this was just if (avatar)

There are two parts to this... whether BoM should work on prim items that may be attached to an avatar (whether as part of a multi-element attachment or separately) and whether BoM should work on HUD elements..

Unless there is some overriding reason to disallow BoM applying to prim parts of worn attachments it would be good to remove the   && isRiggedMesh()   element of the change. That would allow things like flexi-prims to receive BoM textures as they did up to 6.4.6.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-229508

I filed a JIRA on this. [But at the moment @Dan Linden closed it thinking it is related to the temporary bakes issue in the servers. Maybe @April Linden  , if she spots this, can ask him to reopen it as I can't find a way to ask Dan to do that except via editing the issue description!]

The exclusion of the HUD from receiving BoM texturing may be for a good reason. Good to know what it was though if so. I have used that previous capability to create a HUD control panel/visual feedback of what the BoM currently applied looks like. No big deal if that functionality is lost, but it would be worth knowing why.

Bakes on Mesh really is a VERY powerful capability and its usage can go far beyond it initial intended usage. I hope this limitation in usage can be (partially) reversed to make available useful features going forward.

P.S, as the change also made its way into Firestorm in its EEP Beta test version this also restricts Firestorm which worked fine in the current released 6.3.9 and 6.4.5 EEP beta, but the LL code change after 6.4.6 made its way into the currently being prepared 6.4.10 EEP Beta, so that too now restricts what can be seen in both SL and  OpenSim.

https://jira.firestormviewer.org/browse/FIRE-30418

Edited by Ai Austin
Proper use of @avatar name

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 903 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.