Jump to content
Alexa Linden

Bakes on Mesh Feedback Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Shnurui Troughton said:

One of two options.

One, make separate mesh clothing work the way it always has, with the addition of an image fetch for the print.

I could see that causing hems and seams in the wrong spot.

Two, png encryption actually being read, like it already is on every other object.

As far as I know there are two types of png encryption.

Color slide and alpha layer.

An alpha layer encryption has a print, a typographical layer, a shiny layer, then an alpha layer, all in the same file.

Even if what you said about PNG was true, SL doesn't use PNG. All uploads are converted to JPEG2000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Even if what you said about PNG was true, SL doesn't use PNG. All uploads are converted to JPEG2000.

It is true.

Pre pipeline, aka, raw, images are kept in .png/.tga format.

They are converted into jpg-2k, now, before being sent to the viewer.

Before the pipeline upgrade for ogl encoding they were shipped in png/tga.

The server compresses the multiple images when installed on an object into jpg-2k, which is the first jpg encoding to actually enable alpha.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shnurui Troughton said:

It is true.

Pre pipeline, aka, raw, images are kept in .png/.tga format.

They are converted into jpg-2k, now, before being sent to the viewer.

Before the pipeline upgrade for ogl encoding they were shipped in png/tga.

The server compresses the multiple images when installed on an object into jpg-2k, which is the first jpg encoding to actually enable alpha.

There are some advantages on using PNG tho. SL preserves the whole color depth of images and does not compress them. So when you use PNG, you can use 48bits images instead of 32 from TGA. In fact, you can even use 64bits PNG just fine. I have never tried with higher bit depth images because even if they would work we wouldn't see any difference. But the difference between 8bits and 16bits per channel images are hugely noticiable specially on normal maps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there. I have a question though. I have a Custom Mesh Avatar, And I use more than 3 Textures to Cover my entire character's body.....So can I make use of New Universal Skin Layer to apply my Characters Textures... And Leave the Actual Skin Layer which only contains Head_UPPER_LOWER Slots Empty?

And will there be complications if I ended up using the Universal Layer as my Avatar Skin Layer?

Edited by Johan Bizet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Johan Bizet said:

Hi there. I have a question though. I have a Custom Mesh Avatar, And I use more than 3 Textures to Cover my entire character's body.....So can I make use of New Universal Skin Layer to apply my Characters Textures... And Leave the Actual Skin Layer which only contains Head_UPPER_LOWER Slots Empty?

The universal layer can have up to 11 textures. There's nothing stopping you from using, for example, the Eyes slot just for the toes. You can also leave any of the slots empty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Johan Bizet said:

Hi there. I have a question though. I have a Custom Mesh Avatar, And I use more than 3 Textures to Cover my entire character's body.....So can I make use of New Universal Skin Layer to apply my Characters Textures... And Leave the Actual Skin Layer which only contains Head_UPPER_LOWER Slots Empty?

You can use Head, Upper and Lower plus the extras that you need for your avatar but only using the Universal Tattoo wearable. You could also just rely on the Universal Aux channels if you wanted to. On the Universal Tattoo, you can leave empty as many slots as you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

The universal layer can have up to 11 textures. There's nothing stopping you from using, for example, the Eyes slot just for the toes. You can also leave any of the slots empty.

 

3 minutes ago, Kitsune Shan said:

You can use Head, Upper and Lower plus the extras that you need for your avatar but only using the Universal Tattoo wearable. You could also just rely on the Universal Aux channels if you wanted to. On the Universal Tattoo, you can leave empty as many slots as you want.

Ahh~! Such a relief to hear this  thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 8:46 AM, Baldi McMillan said:

since the new BOM feature my once 0 complexity avatar is now showing a complexity of 1,000

This is a bug. We charge a complexity cost for active (non-invisible) channels on the system avatar, 200 per channel. With BOM we added 5 new channels but the logic for determining whether those channels are "visible" on the system avatar is not right. In fact those channels are never visible on the system avatar because the avatar doesn't even use those channels. So we wind up overcharging by 5x200 = 1000. I have a fix for this in the muscadine project viewer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi anyone saw that the BOM Eye Slot is limited to 512x texture size, while the rest is all maxed out to 1k texture slots... is this a bug/something they overlooked or intended ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Johan Bizet said:

Hi anyone saw that the BOM Eye Slot is limited to 512x texture size, while the rest is all maxed out to 1k texture slots... is this a bug/something they overlooked or intended ?

Probably intended. It was limited to 128px before while the rest was 512px so I guess it's now limited to 512px while the rest remains at 1024px. Not good since you could use such slot for whatever thing, but now you can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is something I don't get, can someone explain ?

The left leg and left arm slots are apparently regular auxiliary slots,  which means if you use them on your body, then the system skin doesn't come through if you remove your universals.
I thought one of the aims of BOM was so that people could use their old skins ?

Anyway, I was wondering what was preferable.
1. To have a body that can show the system skin, but then you can't have "tattoos" on your left arm and left foot.
2. To be able to have "tattoos" on your left arm and left foot, but then you can't use your system skin at all because it wouldn't bake to the arm and foot.

I believe that none of the two is acceptable.

So, the only solution I see is to take option one and add an onion skin layer that uses the left arm and left leg slots......

I think this is very wrong, but it's the only solution I see. And it works.
image.thumb.png.e737ec1a291dcdf202f77e07d9c656b7.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

There is something I don't get, can someone explain ?

The left leg and left arm slots are apparently regular auxiliary slots,  which means if you use them on your body, then the system skin doesn't come through if you remove your universals.
I thought one of the aims of BOM was so that people could use their old skins ?

Anyway, I was wondering what was preferable.
1. To have a body that can show the system skin, but then you can't have "tattoos" on your left arm and left foot.
2. To be able to have "tattoos" on your left arm and left foot, but then you can't use your system skin at all because it wouldn't bake to the arm and foot.

I believe that none of the two is acceptable.

So, the only solution I see is to take option one and add an onion skin layer that uses the left arm and left leg slots......

I think this is very wrong, but it's the only solution I see. And it works.
image.thumb.png.e737ec1a291dcdf202f77e07d9c656b7.png

that is what occurred to me. i also have gut feeling that onion layers are still going to have there place. there are too many interesting things that a inventive, creative mind will come up with for them to be totally forgotten.

i have been thinking of adding a left arm and leg onion layer to my commercial avi. but i have held off working it out until i fully scoped out what BoM can do and hearing about what other people are experiencing.

Edited by shaniqua Sahara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow this is super confusing and I see why. I have been mostly away from SL due to life just being life, and came back to start creating just about a week or so before BoM was released.  My SL bestie warned me to make Alphas for my Newest creation and mentioned BoM. I told her nope, will just mark them vintage and then go learn about this new stuff so I can make newer things based on that. Decided to get to speed and started reading through the thread, and while I have some basic understanding...I think, I am confused and see why others are.

i am impressed with the level of intelligence here, I always am. But I see the request here more than once, ‘please explain it in more simple terms’, over and over. And what happens is the explanation gets more complicated.  If I were brand new and read all of this, I’d leave SL and never come back. 
 

I even see a Linden in here giving super lengthy and complicated responses.  Simple has to not start going into the dimensions of the textures or spec maps, or system layers. People who are not I in here to create just need to know how to continue wearing their favorite clothes. Clothes makers need to know simply how to continue making them without having to re-create their entire clothing catalog.

So you go extra simple. 

Example:
1. Go get x, remove x, put on x and should see x. Bam you’re done

The rest is too much!  Imagine going to McDonalds and them offering you a drink by explaining to you the chemical compound of your soda, to explain what flavor soda they are giving you.  Really you wouldn’t care. You’d ask for your Coke or Sprite and don’t really care to hear the chemical make up. This is what a lot of you are doing here, providing the chemical make up of BoM. Some of us don’t want to hear about the System layers (at least not in the extremely detailed explanation given here) and why which is better and how the metals glint etc.  just give us the flavor soda we want. If we need more, we will ask.  

I want to know what I do differently in creating the clothes? I see layers but do I need to do anything to make sure those layers stack right? Will how I rig them affect anything? What about jewelry? What about ‘adult’ body  parts that you would normally hide with scripts? Can anyone take off their “I’m a genius and I cannot speak in simple terms’ hat and break it down?

I’ve been here since second week SL existed and I don’t even have a clue what some of you are talking about because I only started learning to make mesh about 3 years ago. You can explain to people without talking down to them or making them feel bad because they had to ask for clarification. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This time using UTILIZATOR's Avatar 2.0 and the BoM compatibility applier they recently released.  What am I not doing?  How is everyone else able to get it to look right?

 

485190234_Bakesonmeshwoes.thumb.png.538d295ab1a1c5db9b58ae37cc504fcd.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lucierda Solari said:

This time using UTILIZATOR's Avatar 2.0 and the BoM compatibility applier they recently released.  What am I not doing?  How is everyone else able to get it to look right?

Avatar 2.0 doesn't use the LL UV. It requires textures that are specific to that body to look right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Avatar 2.0 doesn't use the LL UV. It requires textures that are specific to that body to look right.

^This

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Avatar 2.0 doesn't use the LL UV. It requires textures that are specific to that body to look right.

What body does use the LL UV?  I also tried Maitreya but I cannot hide the va*** and nipples (as in make it look smooth, as if there is no va*** or nipples but not make the areas transparent).

Edited by Lucierda Solari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lucierda Solari said:

What body does use the LL UV?  I also tried Maitreya but I cannot hide the va*** and nipples (as in make it look smooth, as if there is no va*** or nipples but not make the areas transparent).

Welcome to page 2.

This is an obvious downside of current bodies with "built-in" fun parts. I'm not aware of any bodies that follow the classic avatar's texture layout (LL UV) while also having a toggle for certain details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I'm not aware of any bodies that follow the classic avatar's texture layout (LL UV) while also having a toggle for certain details.

Does anyone here know of any bodies that do those things?

It took me years to make all of the clothes that I have for my classic body today.  Doing them all over again seems like too much work, even for me.

Edited by Lucierda Solari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Welcome to page 2.

This is an obvious downside of current bodies with "built-in" fun parts. I'm not aware of any bodies that follow the classic avatar's texture layout (LL UV) while also having a toggle for certain details.

The Slink Redux bodies have 'nipples' switch in the hud that flattens them.  I hope the new Maitreya Lara BoM will have that too - fingers crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, anna2358 said:

The Slink Redux bodies have 'nipples' switch in the hud that flattens them.  I hope the new Maitreya Lara BoM will have that too - fingers crossed.

The Maitreya Lara body I bought doesn't have a feature to flatten the vag*** or the nipples.  Only to turn them off but make the areas transparent.  -__-

Edited by Lucierda Solari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucierda Solari said:

The Maitreya Lara body I bought doesn't have a feature to flatten the vag*** or the nipples.  Only to turn them off but make the areas transparent.  -__-

Bake on Mesh it's primarily for skins and tattoos more than layers clothing. There is not necesity on using layers for clothes since we can make them out of mesh. Before, this was impossible so the only way was doing layers. But clothing layer does not look that good and it's an extreme minority of the whole actual wardrobe of SL. So, besides some underwear, there is not much use. And even for those you can still wear them mesh anyway. Avatars would need such options but I don't see these being top priority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lucierda Solari said:

The Maitreya Lara body I bought doesn't have a feature to flatten the vag*** or the nipples.  Only to turn them off but make the areas transparent.  -__-

Yes, we all know that Maitreya have not yet released their BoM version, what you get right now is the pre-BoM body with a BoM applier.  I was talking about the promised 'real thing'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...