Bakes on Mesh Feedback Thread

Alexa Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I really wish I understood what you are talking about but I am afraid I do not.  I recently went to full BOM for my avatar.. and so far I have not had any issues with adding prim clothing, or using my body hud.. I am in the  newest EEP FS Beta.  For me everything works great..  but then I am probably not trying to accomplish what you are describing here.  I frequently mix system layer clothing with mesh clothing items.. it all works well for me anyhow.  

Here is an image of a flexi-prim tail attached to an avatar showing the skin tone from  BoM as it worked in LL viewers up to 6.4.6 (and Firestorm viewers up to 6.4.5) alongside how it now appears with the (yellow LOWER) fall back coloured texture when seen in LL viewers from 6.4.7 to the current versions (6.4.10) and Firestorm 6.4.10 Beta.

BoM-on-Prim-Attachments.thumb.jpg.b0a5c0ea6a5579c040c471121497c433.jpg

32 minutes ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

... so far I have not had any issues with adding prim clothing, or using my body hud.. I am in the newest EEP FS Beta.  For me everything works great..  but then I am probably not trying to accomplish what you are describing here.  I frequently mix system layer clothing with mesh clothing items.. it all works well for me anyhow.  

Yes Tazzie, things works fine when you mix classic clothing, tattoos, normal worn attachments that are normally textured (mesh or prim based) and even alpha masks (so long as you select a suitable alpha mode for the mesh that is BoM textured).

My use case though is different... its an attachment that I want to apply a BoM texture to (in the case of the tail a part of the lower texture) but  where the attachment includes a prim element rather than all the attachment being all (rigged) mesh.  In fact anything attached to the avatar that you want rendered with a BoM texture that is not (rigged) mesh is now rendered with the colour fall back texture.. this includes prims, sculpties, and I assume unrigged mesh.. though I did not test that.  My tail case includes a cylinder and a cone shaped flexi-prim.  

39 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

So presumably this is going to affect unrigged BoM eyes and ears as well?

I would say it should allow that if the creator or user wishes to apply a BoM texture to those. Elf Ears for example might be attached and not necessarily be rigged mesh.

Edited by Ai Austin

Just now, Ai Austin said:

I would, say it should if the creator wishes to apply a BoM texture to those. Elf Ears for example might eb attached and nit necessarily be rigged.

Well I do provide BoM unrigged mesh eyes on my MP and I have a set of ears that are unrigged mesh and that I have turned to BoM so it looks like this will break that content if I am reading you correctly.

Check it out in the latest viewer Gabriele. I did not test unrigged mesh attachments myself. I was testing prim attachments, and while investigating attached also a simple sculpt to show that was also was not now being rendered with BoM.  The related classic avatar parts though are still hidden if you texture any face of any attached part even if its a prim, a sculpt or in a HUD. So things are in a bit of a broken state at the moment anyway.

I was just going on the code change which indicates the change was from allowing anything attached to the avatar to a tighter restriction that for BoM to be rendered on a face of an attachment that the item must be attached to an avatar && rigged mesh && not be a HUD.

18 minutes ago, Ai Austin said:

Check it out in the latest viewer Gabriele. I did not test unrigged mesh attachments myself. I was testing prim attachments, and while investigating attached also a simple sculpt to show that was also was not now being rendered with BoM.  The related classic avatar parts though are still hidden if you texture any face of any attached part even if its a prim, a sculpt or in a HUD. So things are in a bit of a broken state at the moment anyway.

I was just going on the code change which indicates the change was from allowing anything attached to the avatar to a tighter restriction that for BoM to be rendered on a face of an attachment that the item must be attached to an avatar && rigged mesh && not be a HUD.

If you mean LL's viewer, I can't because I am on Ubuntu Linux.  That's why I use FS.  I don't think there is a build available for these changes there yet.  It probably isn't necessary though because if unrigged mesh items that are attached can no longer be set to BoM then it will affect them and I so hope you are able to get that part reverted.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

Ugh. I just checked this with my alt, who wears unrigged BOM eyes (because the rigged ones supplied with the Genus head really suck).  I also tested with my alt logged into Firestorm (where it appears to work) and me logged in the SL viewer. And it still shows my alt with broken eyes.

Like @Ai Austin I also have unrigged BOM attachments too; a tail, ears, even leg cuffs for system jeans. 

So that's broken. I wouldn't even have known, because I only ever use Firestorm so I would never have seen it, but it annoys me that it's broken what other people are seeing for me. Not everyone uses Firestorm.

Current released Firestorm is 6.3.9 and an EEP Beta version 6.4.5.. and those will work fine as they both predate the change made at LL viewer 6.4.7. But that change is now incorporated into the version being prepared as the next Firestorm release. The change was incorporated into Firestorm in May 2020. See

https://vcs.firestormviewer.org/phoenix-firestorm/changeset/b654330f51dea8d5b6b3afd0440a10b2f623bcdd 

Edited by Ai Austin

4 hours ago, Ai Austin said:

if (avatar && isRiggedMesh() && !isHUDAttachment())

prevIously this was just if (avatar)

There are two parts to this... whether BoM should work on prim items that may be attached to an avatar (whether as part of a multi-element attachment or separately) and whether BoM should work on HUD elements..

The first thing that comes to my mind is the exploit that was called out pretty much as soon as BOM came into testing, which is that it makes ripping BOM textures easy without a malicious viewer. That could explain at least the HUD part.

I disagree with this "fix" though, I hope Firestorm doesn't pull that line.

Thanks @Dan Linden  I will tidy up the description. Sorry for the edits I made in a stream yesterday, they all appeared as separate items in the issue timeline! .I could not work out a better way to ask for the JIRA to be reopened.

Also  @Gabriele Graves and @Maitimo I just tried to attach a simple mesh item, which I THINK is unrigged.. and it DOES texture correctly when set to a BoM face.  So you may be in luck with your mesh item attachments even though the fix back in May seemed to require isRiggedMesh()

Edited by Ai Austin
typo
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ai Austin said:

Thanks @Dan Linden  I will tidy up the description. Sorry for the edits I made in a stream yesterday, they all appeared as separate items in the issue timeline! .I could not work out a better way to ask for the JIRA to be reopened.

Also  @Gabriele Graves and @Maitimo I just tried to attach a simple mesh item, which |I HINK is unrigged.. and it DOES texture correctly when set to a BoM face.  So you may be in luck with your mesh item attachments even though the fix back in may seemed to require isRiggedMesh()

Thanks for checking.  I have removed my comments from both JIRAs so as not to cause confusion.

5 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I disagree with this "fix" though, I hope Firestorm doesn't pull that line.

The fix is in LL viewers from 6.4.7 up to current version. Its also already in Firestorm Beta test versions now including the current FS6.4.10 EEP Beta Wulfie. And rightly the FS team have said we should address this via the SL JIRA and Linden Lab as we can't have rendering look different between the official viewer and Firestorm or it would just not work for everyone and make BoM content rendering consistent.

Edited by Ai Austin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ai Austin said:

Also  @Gabriele Graves and @Maitimo I just tried to attach a simple mesh item, which I THINK is unrigged.. and it DOES texture correctly when set to a BoM face.  So you may be in luck with your mesh item attachments even though the fix back in May seemed to require isRiggedMesh()

OK I have just gone back to try some alternatives and I can verify that unrigged mesh eyes work; the ones that did not work were plain prim (non-mesh) eyes.  And another unrigged mesh...um... "attachment" (which is on sale in my store, and is the main thing I was concerned about because it's the biggest-selling non-free item in my store) is also still working in the official viewer.

The mesh pants cuffs work, but the sculpted ones no longer do.

So it looks like the item with BOM applied to it needs to be mesh, but it does not have to be rigged.  As long as it remains this way, it may not be as bad as I thought.

@Maitimo glad your mesh content still works. Ruth2's (unrigged) mesh elf ears still work with BoM too.  But I hope the restriction to not allow BoM texturing on prim (and scuplt perhaps) parts in attachments is removed so it behaves as it was up to 6.4.6. Current viewers do not work for me with flexi-prim tails  🙂

I can live without allowing BoM texturing on HUD elements, though would like to know the reason for that restriction. @Kyle Lindenpointed us at a JIRA entry but I don't have permission to view it to see the rationale.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/DRTVWR-501

11 minutes ago, Ai Austin said:

@Maitimo glad your mesh content still works. Ruth2's (unrigged) mesh elf ears still work with BoM too.  But I hope the restriction to not allow BoM texturing on prim (and scuplt perhaps) parts in attachments is removed so it behaves as it was up to 6.4.6. Current viewers do not work for me with flexi-prim tails  🙂

I can live without allowing BoM texturing on HUD elements, though would like to know the reason for that restriction. @Kyle Lindenpointed us at a JIRA entry but I don't have permission to view it to see the rationale.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/DRTVWR-501

Yes I don't have permission to see the Jira either, which is a shame because I'd love to have been able to contribute to it.

Its a shame that the flexi tails don't work either, and is another pointer confirming that the BOM item has to be mesh and not just a prim or sculpt attachment.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.