Breedables - Yea or Nay?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm pretty new to the forums - forgive me if I'm posting this to the wrong place.  I've been in Second Life for several years now and I have a friend that's been into several breedables over the years.  She seems to love them, but I've never gotten  into them (honestly, I've never really tried to).  It seems like some people love them and some people hate them.  I was curious to get some feedback on what people think about them.  Are they fun and addictive, or pointless and laggy, or something else?  I'd love to hear some opinions!

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have RL critters that demand food on a regular basis, so I personally have no desire to have to pay money to feed something regularly when inworld. 

For me, personally, I find them as silly and annoying as prim/mesh/whatever babies inworld.

That's a good point.  I personally have a dog, cat and a ten year old that get my time and attention (and money) in RL.  I didn't even think about the fact that you have to pay to keep your breedables fed.

I haven't seen any prim babies since my recent return to SL, but they kinda creep me out...

creepybaby.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I understand the appeal.  It's like those electronic pets that were so popular in the 90's but with a built in money sink.  As long as the food cost is minimal, sure.  Why not?  I buy food for my cats at home so buying food, toys and treats is like part of the simulation.

That said, they are not for me.

• Like 1

I mostly ignore them, but at the moment I have a location on the same region as somebody with multiple sky platforms full of breedables. I think they're (mostly?) horses, and they're almost all this putrid gangrenous color they seem to get when starved... oh, and also row upon row of coffin-looking boxes that cycle some hovertext every few seconds.

None of which is any of my business except these things have tons of scripts. There are many thousands of scripts on that one parcel, and the way the LSL scheduler works, every script adds slightly to the sim's script load even if there's nothing for it to do. So that means only about one in ten scripts gets a chance to run every simulation frame, and that means things like AOs, swimmers, mesh avatar HUDs, vehicles -- even simple furniture -- have weird, unpredictable delays.

Now this is annoying, but I have other locations, so for now I'm just avoiding this one until the owner realizes they have a serious addiction problem and take the two-step cure:

1. Delete the whole expensive laggy menagerie
  2. Empty trash

7 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I understand the appeal.  It's like those electronic pets that were so popular in the 90's but with a built in money sink.

I remember Tamagotchi!  Wow, I never could keep one of those alive and healthy either.

• Haha 1

to be honest I didn't want a breedable I am new to SL until a few weeks ago my real life cat passed away her name was Willow I had never dreamed of the idea of getting a breedable here but the thought did cross my mind I am too new to know if I would like or not like them I only just found out about them I do think that people who love them have their reasons for loving them 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RisingGrace said:

to be honest I didn't want a breedable I am new to SL until a few weeks ago my real life cat passed away her name was Willow I had never dreamed of the idea of getting a breedable here but the thought did cross my mind I am too new to know if I would like or not like them I only just found out about them I do think that people who love them have their reasons for loving them 

Check out JIAN.

They have a lovely animated mesh cat that you can set to a variety of different breeds. It is not a breedable and you don't need to keep feeding it.

The kit comes with one that you can set to roam around your land, one you can attach to walk with you, and several 'static' ones in cute poses you can use for screenshots.
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/JIAN-Kitten-Collection/9227148

- But check out their inworld store too. Really nice stuff there.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh boy. For a while I was seriously into the Amaretto horses. At one point I had about sixty of them. The cost of feeding them wasn't too bad but you have to factor in the cost of land too, because you have to keep them rezzed out all the time. A 512m parcel could at the time support 7 horses, I think now with the increased prims it could fit ten. But at the time, that was a LOT of land, and that got VERY expensive. It was fun while it lasted though, and I particularly enjoyed the auctions.

I turned my favourite into a forever-pet and he lives out a happy retirement at home beside my house. The rest are stuffed away in my inventory.

I'm not a fan. First off most of them are high in LI and script hogs. Secondly, they are effectively a pyramid scheme since, ultimately, the creator of a given breedable system gets money for food and sometimes other necessary items as well for each active breedable out there. This is great if you're the creator of the system I guess. For everyone else, it's a needless drain on their L$.

Some folks waste money on shoes and clothes, some waste money on other hobbies. At the end of the day, only individuals can actually decide for themselves what is and isn't a money sink ;)

I like breedables, when I have had tons of them, and small numbers. I couldn't even possibly tell you how many I have in inventory(or their offspring for that matter). They can be a fun hobby, for those that *enjoy them. I think of them like I think of any hobby. As long as I can afford it, it's a fun hobby. When I can no longer afford it, or no longer want to, I stop. :) 

I have taken part in pretty much every breedable that has ever come to fruition (some only in beta form). As similar as they may be, there are differences too. Some are far more expensive than others to maintain. If you get into them with the intent to make a mint, you'll likely find yourself sorely disappointed, eventually, lol. If you go into it with the mindset that it's simply a fun hobby, no different than any other hobby, or way one could potentially spend that money anyway..you may well find that you enjoy it.

Then again, I also have prim babies and found/find that to be an enjoyable experience too..which most folks seem to find repulsive, wrong, creepy and a myriad of other primarily negative things...probably a good thing I don't go around telling others what they should and shouldn't be enjoying, or spending money on in sl, eh? ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Practice-breeding is much more fun than actual breeding; you get to skip the 9 months of watching your body morph and 13 years later you don’t have someone screaming; “I HATE YOU”......

...oh wait, you were talking about SL breedables?  

Never mind.........

• Haha 4

I've considered getting into breedables, I even have some unopened KittyCatS from the SLB14 event gifts, but there's always ONE thing that stops me.  Either I'm researching in the wrong places, or nobody actually wants to tell you what happens when you don't feed your cats.  Do they just stop breeding, or is there a death state?  What would death even look like in an SL breedable?  They can't force delete an object from your inventory, can they?

I don't want to get invested in something if it's gonna trap me.

1 hour ago, MegaRose said:

I've considered getting into breedables, I even have some unopened KittyCatS from the SLB14 event gifts, but there's always ONE thing that stops me.  Either I'm researching in the wrong places, or nobody actually wants to tell you what happens when you don't feed your cats.  Do they just stop breeding, or is there a death state?  What would death even look like in an SL breedable?  They can't force delete an object from your inventory, can they?

I don't want to get invested in something if it's gonna trap me.

If you don't feed the animal, it dies.  However, I think the clock only ticks when the animal is rezzed.  Thus it won't die in inventory.  Since I've never played the 'breedables' thing, I'm not totally sure on that.  Anytime I rez a gift of any sort that ends up being a breedable, I promptly delete the item. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.