How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

Okay-dokie, so just for kicks, here's my first image from Black Dragon viewer.

This is an unedited "straight from viewer" snapshot test. The viewer does amazing with color dynamic range. I don't know if it's a placebo-effect because I'm trying something new (the viewer) or if it actually is that much better at capturing color dynamic range, I am genuinely thinking it's the latter. Were I to edit, I'd likely boost the contrast and add more tonal range in the lighting, as it is: it's the Lutz City windlight.

But this is test. It is only a test. Were this an actual effort, there would have been some atmospheric touching-up. This is only a test. *annoying-beeeeeep*

Black Dragon Viewer Test

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 21

I'll be really glad when Firestorm works out its tiling problem. Meanwhile, I don't know Photoshop well enough to fix the glitches. So glitched screenshots it is! You're welcome!

ETA: I adjusted my hair after seeing the full-sized close up. :)

dura coffee 2 012120.jpg

dura coffee 012120.jpg

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 25

40 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I'll be really glad when Firestorm works out its tiling problem. Meanwhile, I don't know Photoshop well enough to fix the glitches. So glitched screenshots it is! You're welcome!

ETA: I adjusted my hair after seeing the full-sized close up. :)

dura coffee 2 012120.jpg

dura coffee 012120.jpg

Love these.

FYI that tiling problem is maddening. I never can figure out when it's going to happen either. Is it random or does it happen under specific lighting? All I know is I took some wonderful shots a while back, was really feeling the moment and when I went back to figure out which one I was going to post every darn one of them was tiled. Didn't show up in FS, but sure was there when I saved to disk. Ugh. So disappointing. I tried going back to where i was but could not recreate the exact viewpoint I'd had previously. Oh well.....

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

Love these.

FYI that tiling problem is maddening. I never can figure out when it's going to happen either. Is it random or does it happen under specific lighting? All I know is I took some wonderful shots a while back, was really feeling the moment and when I went back to figure out which one I was going to post every darn one of them was tiled. Didn't show up in FS, but sure was there when I saved to disk. Ugh. So disappointing. I tried going back to where i was but could not recreate the exact viewpoint I'd had previously. Oh well.....

Yeah, sometimes it is there and sometimes not. And like you said, you don't know until they get saved to disk or to your profile, as I did these. SIGH. Large formats seem to bring it out. Possibly depth of field. I dunno. /me shakes fist at viewer and hope they are fixing it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Ok, this is a first experiment (using Gabby) with Black Dragon. This is cropped and resized for the forum, but otherwise entirely unedited. I used the poser a bit too.

I'm getting some texture thrashing, and one place I went the textures just wouldn't load at all, which I am assuming means I need to bump up the cache.

Overall -- wow.

Gabby-at-Whimberly-Blank.thumb.png.1e71439057493d7495f4805863f406d9.png

• Like 27

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ok, this is a first experiment (using Gabby) with Black Dragon. This is cropped and resized for the forum, but otherwise entirely unedited. I used the poser a bit too.

I'm getting some texture thrashing, and one place I went the textures just wouldn't load at all, which I am assuming means I need to bump up the cache.

Overall -- wow.

By coincidence, I downloaded BD last night. I figured out where everything was pretty fast and played around with it for a bit but it was getting late so didn't take any pix. But I really like the quality of how it renders - so different from FS (I never use the official viewer unless FS is down). I've been negligent about setting up my new laptop, so this gives me an excuse to hop to it because if it looks as good as it does on my older one I can't imagine how spectacular it will be on a newer system.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Elora Lunasea said:

Love these.

The tiling issue happens on all shots with resolutions higher than your current viewer render resolution. It's a known issue since last year when i reported it. FS has yet to fix it, i did report it in time for them (and LL) to fix it. BD had it fixed immediately after it was reported (4 days later) in November? October?

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Overall -- wow.

Texture trashing means you are running out of available texture memory. This is either because you've set your texture memory too low or if you are using automatic memory management you are really running out of texture memory (GPU VRAM). In first case you should enable automatic memory management and relog and in the latter case you can't do anything about it, the Viewer is already using all your available texture memory and its not enough to keep all textures loaded at the same time... the woes of everything being 1024x1024 for no reason. You can enable Automatic Memory Management in Display preferences at the very top. It does not matter what you set System and Scene Memory to if you enable it. If you choose to do it manually (which i highly recommend NOT doing) you'll have to balance System and Scene in roughly a 3:2 to 4:3 ratio (System:Scene) according to your maximum GPU memory. 1GB = 666 / 333 (System / Scene), 2GB = 1200 / 800 (System / Scene)... you get the idea. In addition i'd leave at least ~128mb MINIMUM for FBO's, misc stuff and of course your background applications as well as Windows. 

unknown.png

To your picture: More light softening / shadow blur (2.6 minimum for 4k shots and ~4.0 or higher for 6k shots), higher shadow resolution (~2048) for the Far / Very Far shadowmap (depending on which includes the house wall behind you) as well as higher shadow resolution (4096) for the Closest shadowmap to make those shadows on the wall on the very left look better.

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7