How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

59 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, this.

It totally depends on the context, for me. There are shots where I don't use any projectors, and rely solely on natural lighting. And there are others where I literally kill all light, and rely only on projectors and/or point lights, because I want more precision and control than Windlight can give me.

I haven't tried projectors or point lights in BD yet. Guess that's up next!

There really isn't much to highlight on me, my scales either reflect light naturally or i'm self illuminated.

Snapshot_031.png

Snapshot_018.png

• Like 24

Can we please 🙏🏻 get back on topic guys?

I love to learn and read all about BD, but we’ve almost had this thread shut down a few months back for straying much less far from the path. Tech discussions.... fascinating, but maybe a new thread?  

PS: Better we police ourselves then Dakota Linden or whomever 

😘

PPS: I’d would have posted a pic but didn’t have anything new and speaking of posts, where is Victoria when you need her ... lol 😂 

PPPS: the guys came to the rescue! Thanks 🙏🏻

I’m done

Edited by Saravendi
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

Turning down options wont help. Most of the performance overhead comes from items around you and other avatars.

If that's the case, why does turning down options make such a big difference, even when standing in the exact same place, with camera facing the same direction, less than 1 minute later with zero avatars (besides myself, wearing the exact same items) in the region? The difference is more noticeable in FS than in BD; For example yesterday, in the location where I took that pic, in Firestorm I went from 74 FPS at low-medium settings, down to 15-20 with Ultra and shadows on.  With Black Dragon the difference was from 20-ish to about 6. During that time (under a minute, and another couple of minutes to re-log with the other viewer), there were no other avatars present and nothing changed in the environment. 

ETA  I kept draw distance the same, at 128m, in all four of these cases.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

If that's the case, why does turning down options make such a big difference, even when standing in the exact same place, with camera facing the same direction, less than 1 minute later with zero avatars (besides myself, wearing the exact same items) in the region? The difference is more noticeable in FS than in BD; For example yesterday, in the location where I took that pic, in Firestorm I went from 74 FPS at low-medium settings, down to 15-20 with Ultra and shadows on.  With Black Dragon the difference was from 20-ish to about 6. During that time (under a minute, and another couple of minutes to re-log with the other viewer), there were no other avatars present and nothing changed in the environment.

My comment was aimed at BD's non major settings and from personal experience. Turning down anything not a major shader toggle (major ones are for instance Depth of Field, Volumetric Lighting, Shadows) does not improve performance much (turning off Deferred even worsens performance in some cases). It obviously depends on your system and more specifically on your CPU, if you gain 15 fps by simply turning down everything not a major setting (e.g quality options for instance) then either your system is already choking on the simplest of rendering or your place must be a very specifically bad place. I have yet to see a place you can turn down any quality option and gain performance.

More specifically you should be getting roughly the same performance in both Viewers unless something in your settings is not particularly good for the place you are at. Some settings can have a performance impact depending on the place, Object Object Occlusion for instance is generally better left off while outside but can net you some (up to many many) frames if indoors.

The only way i would be able to check whether something in your settings is broken is taking your settings to the place you tested this on and comparing them against my settings on my machine, if anything is particularly off i'll get a very bad framerate too.

• Like 4