How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

2 hours ago, Eva Knoller said:

Another big plus to add to this is that Black Dragon can also move the avatar center aka the entire avatar, which is super helpful to fine tune sitting and leaning poses, especially when taking shots at places where you do not have rez rights for a pose stand. I don't think either AnyPose or Animare can do that, right? I have both HUDS and have not seen that as an option.

Since Strawberry's guide to positioning the avatar broke several versions of Firestorm back, Black Dragon is the best puppeteering tool around. While very tedious to use, it works better than anything else I've tried and allows everything to be changed. I've used it to change facial expression.

Anypose is good. There are 5 different models of AnyPose. Some need a 'poseball' others don't. But none of them do Bento. The AnyPose Expressions only works with the classic head.

1 hour ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

AnyPose can only do that when you are allowed to rez a pose stand yeah. What I usually do is activating a pose on the spot want, live edit that one, and use hover height if I need to go up or down a bit. But that's far from perfect of course.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Since Strawberry's guide to positioning the avatar broke several versions of Firestorm back, Black Dragon is the best puppeteering tool around. While very tedious to use, it works better than anything else I've tried and allows everything to be changed. I've used it to change facial expression.

Anypose is good. There are 5 different models of AnyPose. Some need a 'poseball' others don't. But none of them do Bento. The AnyPose Expressions only works with the classic head.

I find that Anypose, in combination with the Lelutka Axis HUD for facial expressions and a hand animation HUD (I generally just use the one that comes with the Vista Bento hands), works pretty well generally. The chief problem with Anypose (and Animare, which Laskya has), beyond the positioning/poseball problem, is that they don't allow for the really fine tuning of positions. Every "step" in moving a limb tends to be a pretty large one. That, I gather, is a function of the viewer, rather than a fault in the HUDs themselves.

One thing I like about the Animare, btw, is that it gives numerical values for the positions, so one can jot these down for future reference.)

Above and beyond its superior ability to pose, Black Dragon seems to produce a somewhat crisper shot?

Or is that my imagination (or the skill of the people taking shots with it)?

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I find that Anypose, in combination with the Lelutka Axis HUD for facial expressions and a hand animation HUD (I generally just use the one that comes with the Vista Bento hands), works pretty well generally. The chief problem with Anypose (and Animare, which Laskya has), beyond the positioning/poseball problem, is that they don't allow for the really fine tuning of positions. Every "step" in moving a limb tends to be a pretty large one. That, I gather, is a function of the viewer, rather than a fault in the HUDs themselves.

One thing I like about the Animare, btw, is that it gives numerical values for the positions, so one can jot these down for future reference.)

Above and beyond its superior ability to pose, Black Dragon seems to produce a somewhat crisper shot?

Or is that my imagination (or the skill of the people taking shots with it)?

I do think the shots are crisper, but that can take some fiddling with the settings. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So happy.  Yesterday I saw that Glamistry was back in business and looking for bloggers, so I applied and got a spot!  yay!!  I loved their shoes the first time and now so happy to be able to blog for them.  Anyway, first post for them. 

Day20

Edited by Catrie
  • Like 26

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

(Damn. I really do have to try Black Dragon . . . *sigh*)

I have a real love/hate relationship with Black Dragon. I LOVE the introvideo and especially the intromusic - I spend minutes longer on logging in just beacuse of that...

I hate the default key layout for controlling the avatar and for controlling the camera - had to spend major time and do some minor hacking to get it to my liking.

Love the machinima-panel, and the ability to add lensflare and vignetting directly when taking a picture. Love the DoF control and the realistic DoF Settings, but hate that you have to choose between shadows from the sun/moon OR projectors (WHYYY?). Love that you can have motionblur and take BW pics, but hate that there is no Favourite Attachments or built in AO.

AND the Poser!! A level of control that nothing else can give you, and you can save the poses for later use - but no one exept you can see your pose, so it is useable for photos only...

But when you get all settings right - the quality of the rendering is absolutely superb! And it is well worth taking the time to get over that initial (huge, i know) struggle to learn how things work, the possibilities that lies before you is well worth it!!!

Snapshot_187_cr.thumb.jpg.680bf4fb13d15b9bbb75741795d8ae3a.jpg

Edited by Angelina String
Added hastily posed and quick taken photo to show that it is VERY easy to take lousy pics with even the best tools!
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, Angelina String said:

(WHYYY?).

I guess NiranV, the dev ( seen him in forums here ), has a myriad of reasons for the why, but I agree : the learning curve is steep.

ETA : Also  .. i never flap wings .. i got a jetengine.

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, TDD123 said:

I guess NiranV, the dev ( seen him in forums here ), has a myriad of reasons for the why, but I agree : the learning curve is steep.

If he can come up with a rational reason for doing this, I would be very interested to hear it - it kind of ruins the realism to have to choose between shadow from the sun OR shadows from projectors when taking a photo - I want both! Which is not a problem to do in FS or other viewers, so WHYYY? If its because of some programming issues where he have to leave this out to have some other function included, it would be interesting to know... But as he says, it is his viewer, and ifhe choose not to include it because he does not see the use for it or it takes down other functions he need more, thats his priviledge! I still love it, and now I'm going to start it just to watch the opening movie and listen to the music :D

(or perhaps I just listen to it on YT ;) )

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1