SECOND LIFE IS DYING...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

You know what I think will kill Second Life, in the end?  Years from now, a major fascist government (and we all know which one) will ban it, because there are openly LGBT+ people here. 

But..but.. we're all just RolePlaying! Right?

Microsoft will kill it just as soon as they finish stealing whatever ideas they can from it .

unsupported actually means "we will make every effort to sabotage that which does not fit our regime" . Windows says no so intel says no so SL says no , even my printer went on strike FFS !

Its like electric cars , that nobody wants one , needs one or can afford one , is not even a minor consideration .

Not so sure about the LGBT argument , here in the UK its becoming almost a compulsery legal requirement and training begins before puberty .

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, cunomar said:

Not so sure about the LGBT argument , here in the UK its becoming almost a compulsery legal requirement and training begins before puberty .

And they're all fragile little snowflakes now who complain about how they don't have any friends and how electronics are so confusing.

4 hours ago, Maitimo said:

You know what I think will kill Second Life, in the end?  Years from now, a major fascist government (and we all know which one) will ban it, because there are openly LGBT+ people here. 

section 28 in the (former) UK was a dry run. getting a bit old for the barricades but still. There are things that chill my blood

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cunomar said:

Microsoft will kill it just as soon as they finish stealing whatever ideas they can from it .

unsupported actually means "we will make every effort to sabotage that which does not fit our regime" . Windows says no so intel says no so SL says no , even my printer went on strike FFS !

Its like electric cars , that nobody wants one , needs one or can afford one , is not even a minor consideration .

Got it :) You are P Dacre of the Daily M(please look it up) and I claim my five pounds.

877476194.jpg.jpg

Repent, before it is too late!  

Also, this is the way to end a platform.  If it ever does end, I hope we have something as epic and meaningful.

I hope it never comes to that though, I like opensim and all, but SL is my favorite virtual environment. 

16 hours ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Got it :) You are P Dacre of the Daily M(please look it up) and I claim my five pounds.

My 7 year old nephew was in my care when he said he didn't want to wear pink on school pink day so i explained to him that he doesn't have to because he has more right to his own individuality than they do to their stupidity . He is about 23 now and still never wears pink so perhaps he knew his own mind all those years ago .

Drag Queens in schools , look it up , i just did for the very first time because my original post was reference to a vague notion picked up over many years of reading general news from any and every source . A specific 2 minute search got results from Birmingham UK to Canada .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cunomar said:

Drag Queens in schools

In the 80s we had them, we just referred to them as metal heads.  It had a lot of people in an uproar, some were convinced that the world was coming to an end, that if you played the music backwards there were satanic messages converting our youth into savages.  

If that were not bad enough, some of us were carrying around Dungeons and Dragons books, which likewise was a portal into demonic worship.  Us playing, was of course persecution on the more timid minded because we were throwing our stories in their faces.  School ain't no place for such savagery and story telling on recess breaks.  Crazy times, I tells ya!

Now the thread is definitely going to get locked.. dammit.. I was enjoying all the fun we were having.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

On 3/9/2023 at 2:00 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Wow, this might be the oldest resurrection ever done here

Yes but that actually makes it interesting, especially with the 20th anniversary coming up. Ten years ago, that's halfway from the beginning to now. Think of all the other virtual worlds that have popped up and died since then. Sansar, High FIdelity, Meta (not quite dead but definitely a zombie)...

You know what, I suspect the title was correct at that time. SL was in a bad shape in 2013 and LL had even started working on a replacement. But then Oz and Ebbe came along. Ebbe cleaned up LL's organisation. Oz was tasked with patching up SL to keep it going until Sansar was ready. Only he did such a good job that when Sansar inevitably folded, SL was stronger than it had been for many years. Yes, we can talk about all the things they didn't do or couldn't do and all the things they got wrong, it would be a long list. But there was also so much they got right and it was enough.

SL is still dying btw but aren't we all?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cunomar said:

My 7 year old nephew was in my care when he said he didn't want to wear pink on school pink day so i explained to him that he doesn't have to because he has more right to his own individuality than they do to their stupidity . He is about 23 now and still never wears pink so perhaps he knew his own mind all those years ago .

Because I'm sure he made that decision based on his own individual fashion sense and not because he was parroting what somebody told him pink "meant."

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.