SECOND LIFE IS DYING...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

47 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

That's floccinaucinihilipilification if you ask me.

Besides, if you include names - and they are a part of the language too -  Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch is longer.

Come to think of it, isn't Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu the official English name for Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu?

You may be right, in fact, you are. 

I still prefer the actual longest word, I mean, it takes 3-ish hours to pronounce it, lol, but I got yelled at and my post deleted the last time I did it :P 

Some people just don't value words these days...sigh.....wordists. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

I still prefer the actual longest word, I mean, it takes 3-ish hours to pronounce it, lol,

I'm afraid I have to disappoint you. Titin's "fame" here is nothing but an internet fad invented by somebody with little of no understanding of chemistry (except possibly from a consumer's point of view). If we accept that chemical formulas count as word (which is open to debate), titin's will not be the longest one. It's certainly not the most complex molecular structure that exists and a chemical formula doesn't even have to apply to a single molecule. You can calculate the chemical formula for the entire universe if you like ... and have time ... and happen to have enough paper and pencils to write it all down.

Edited by ChinRey

47 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

I'm afraid I have to disappoint you. Titin's "fame" here is nothing but an internet fad invented by somebody with little of no understanding of chemistry (except possibly from a consumer's point of view). If we accept that chemical formulas count as word (which is open to debate), titin's will certainly not be the longest one. It's certianly not the most complex molecular structure that exists and a chemical formula doesn't even have to apply to a single molecule. You can calculate the chemical formula for the entire universe if you like ... and have time ... and happen to have enough paper and pencils to write it all down.

The human genome, three billion characters long and spelled entirely with four letters (A, T, G, C), would make quite a mouthful... and the mouth.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

From what I have been reading @BilliJo Aldrin it seems more or less as though you are just as unable to let the topic simply rest. This present response of yours does not seem to be any exception as you have made the assumption that anyone who has not decided to buy premium after looking at what it offers is somehow not looking at it properly.

The choice is and always will be a subjective one. I went premium a few years back simply so I would have a home I could use as a fall back just in case I found myself unable to continue paying the rent on the parcel I presently use as a home. All of the other benefits simply did not factor into that choice for me; I had and still have no real use for the premium sandboxes, the gifts have thus far been of sub par quality, I have very little interest in their themed premium fun zones and while I do use Voice I rarely use a morph. At the time I could not justify nor afford a yearly payment and thus went month by month. I may be able to afford it now but I simply cannot justify doing so as even with the stipend level I have I would still have to play beat the clock to convert that into something I can use to offset the cost.

Yes, objectively the perk set is good. You do not seem to understand however that not everyone finds value in the perks offered. Yes they have added more perks as time has gone on but again not everyone will find value in them. As an example I have made use of the extra group slots yet I have no use presently for the set aside access space to sims afforded to me. None of the places I visit ever get crowded enough for that to matter. I also have no use for the single, free experience setup given to premium members as I do not script. These two perks may have some value to others but they will not have value to everyone.

You can accept this or not but at the end of the day it really does not matter much. People will make the choice based on which perks appeal to them and whether or not those perks are worth even the monthly cost in their minds. This does not make them wrong at all and the antagonistic way you've responded to those who have voiced their reasons for choosing not to go premium speaks volumes.

I've tried to avoid saying much at all on the topic simply because many others have covered this already. Now I have added my own reasoning into the mix and quite firmly believe that you will not be able to accept that reasoning. Just as you were unable to accept anyone else's reasoning.

The only reason the others ceased their arguments with you is that they simply grew tired of typing at a brick wall. As for myself; I simply found myself with a bit of time to waste this morning.

Sweetie the guy has said several times he refuses to reply to any more of my posts, yet every time I reply, he replies yet again saying that he is done and won't reply again. I'm simply giving him the opportunity to do what he has said many times he is going to do.

I'll make you the same offer.

:)

12 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The human genome, three billion characters long and spelled entirely with four letters (A, T, G, C), would make quite a mouthful... and the mouth.

And you better not misspell it!

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 4

I somehow skipped looking at this thread. Well, I shouldn't say "Somehow". I'm sure it was deliberate: like a great many of you I have been reading and responding to this topic in one forum or another for a long time. As my penance,  I have read EVERY SINGLE POST I'd missed (okay; some of 'em I read really quickly). I am now current.

My personal highlight in all that was seeing Phil himself suggest that maybe he might be a teensy bit prone to insisting upon having the last word in a disagreement. Like, disagree with Phil and at some point you'll wish you had a foam desk.

More than one person pointed out that if there is a "Death of SL" it's going to take a long time (barring business collapses). I was reminded of a line in a Greg Brown song I like a lot. The song's pretty long so if you just want to cut to the chase, the relevant to this SL discussion line (which I happen to think is the best line in the whole song) starts around 2:50.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

When Sansar was launched, I predicted that SL will depopulate fast. I even closed my account as I did not want to see this happening. Now, I come swith a different prediction. SL will not die for the foreseenable future. 

I have a few arguments. First, SL has seen an increase of active residents and new sims during the pandemic and now (March 2023) it is still slightly bigger than in 2019. Second, data from both Gridsurvey and research on SLGI wiki (like Project MUPUS) show a reversing trend. Continents like Gaeta 1 or Sharp Continent (former TSL grid) have shown an increase in population. We see more private initiatives like Turara Fiji, Second Norway and Fairchang subcontinents growing. And Bellisseria has grown beyond my wildest imagination, without causing a depopulation among the old Premium Continents or a collapse among private estates. 

People have been saying that SL will die since 2005. Well, as I managed the list of microcontinenrs and sim clusters in Feb 2023, I have seen that, although many things have changed, sometimes radically, SL has remained almost the same. Since 2014 , when the SLGI (SL Geography Institute) was founded, I've been monitoring this. For the last 9 years, SL had about the same number of private sims +- 30%. Mainland population has also been fluctuating, with vast areas becoming densely populated and tgen abandoned. But, overall, mainland land use also is about the same, +- 30%. 

The major change was the addition of Bellisseria, which I never imagined would be such a success. 

So, as a conclusion, unless something unexpected happens, I expect SL land occupation and population density to remain constant for the next 10 to 20 years, with small fluctuatuins. 

However, the SL that will be here in 2030 will be different from what is now (2023) and completely different from what was in 2014, when I started SLGI. Many buildings, places and private sims will be no more whike others will replace them. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Anaimfinity said:

When Sansar was launched, I predicted that SL will depopulate fast. I even closed my account as I did not want to see this happening. Now, I come swith a different prediction. SL will not die for the foreseenable future. 

I have a few arguments. First, SL has seen an increase of active residents and new sims during the pandemic and now (March 2023) it is still slightly bigger than in 2019. Second, data from both Gridsurvey and research on SLGI wiki (like Project MUPUS) show a reversing trend. Continents like Gaeta 1 or Sharp Continent (former TSL grid) have shown an increase in population. We see more private initiatives like Turara Fiji, Second Norway and Fairchang subcontinents growing. And Bellisseria has grown beyond my wildest imagination, without causing a depopulation among the old Premium Continents or a collapse among private estates. 

People have been saying that SL will die since 2005. Well, as I managed the list of microcontinenrs and sim clusters in Feb 2023, I have seen that, although many things have changed, sometimes radically, SL has remained almost the same. Since 2014 , when the SLGI (SL Geography Institute) was founded, I've been monitoring this. For the last 9 years, SL had about the same number of private sims +- 30%. Mainland population has also been fluctuating, with vast areas becoming densely populated and tgen abandoned. But, overall, mainland land use also is about the same, +- 30%. 

The major change was the addition of Bellisseria, which I never imagined would be such a success. 

So, as a conclusion, unless something unexpected happens, I expect SL land occupation and population density to remain constant for the next 10 to 20 years, with small fluctuatuins. 

However, the SL that will be here in 2030 will be different from what is now (2023) and completely different from what was in 2014, when I started SLGI. Many buildings, places and private sims will be no more whike others will replace them. 

Did you just say that the Second life of the past is different from the Second Life of the present and that the Second Life of the future, specifically 2030, will be different than the Second Life of today? Is this what you are saying? And you resurrected a thread to say all that? Wow, I'm glad I am not the worst. You are my Mississippi. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Anaimfinity said:

SL will not die for the foreseenable future.

I like these historic threads.  Nothing has really changed, even the names are the same.  SL might die if the venture capitalists making the survival decisions decide to sell us to some idiot.  Otherwise, I am planning on upgrading my 2012 computer to stay up with SL new shinies... someday - when I can no longer get 40 fps everywhere running two accounts on my old bucket of wires.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.