Why is there a lot of disagreeable people on this board? (And by extension, other boards related to SL?)

5 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

VS is gone. 

Thought I was checking it out recently (people here were being named), unless that's VVO?

6 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

SL Reddit is actually really nice from what I've seen. It's very moderated, though, so it's rare to see much shenanigans.

Ah, so they come HERE to be disagreeable! Lulz 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Thought I was checking it out recently (people here were being named), unless that's VVO?

VS shut down in early March. Site's still up, but no new posts.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ah, so they come HERE to be disagreeable! Lulz 

I don't know who "they" is referring to specifically, but the subreddit has... *peeks* ...almost 19,000 members.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

SL Reddit is actually really nice from what I've seen. It's very moderated, though, so it's rare to see much shenanigans.

VS is gone. 

You forgot VVO, which is also pretty chill.

Individual Discords are also nice, though there is the occasional yikes from time to time.

SL Reddit one can say things one can't mention here

VS was kinda interesting 

VVO is pretty chill if no one is there to disturb the hive

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

There's certain people on this board (I won't name names) who, no matter what I say, they always are disagreeable and always seem critical of what I say or do. I realize I may have a part in it because what I say and do might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I dunno...some people are just very harsh here. I know, I should get over it, but some of the people just seem so harsh compared to other communities I've visited.

Some people just seem to get a kick out of being grumpy/pushy/mean to other people. I've never understood it. They appear to be spoiling for a fight all the time and they'll provoke one for no apparent reason.  And then there are others who seem to have an opinion about everything. They want to yell about it at the oddest times, and that is enough to trigger the fighting crowd. 

If you look around carefully, you'll see that there are really only a half dozen of each of those types of people in the forums. It just looks like there are more of them because they post a lot. The trick is to treat all of them the way we tell newbies to deal with annoying people in world.  Ignore them. Tune them out and let them yell at each other. You can go walk the dog or read a book, or maybe take a nap. You get to choose who to listen to.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

If you look around carefully, you'll see that there are really only a half dozen of each of those types of people in the forums. It just looks like there are more of them because they post a lot. The trick is to treat all of them the way we tell newbies to deal with annoying people in world.  Ignore them. Tune them out and let them yell at each other. You can go walk the dog or read a book, or maybe take a nap. You get to choose who to listen to.

But, but, but if you block us, there is no sense in coming to the forum other then to play the games in the General Discussion Forum......oh wait....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

But, but, but if you block us, there is no sense in coming to the forum other then to play the games in the General Discussion Forum......oh wait....

Yeah, I know.  No blood lust.  There's a down side to every good idea.  Even the most annoying people say something witty and insightful every once in a while.  That's why I never block anyone. I do take long walks, though .... 😎

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

A few things:

-I realize this is not about Second Life directly, but more about the board. But I notice this about other boards related to Second Life as well.

-I know I'm creating drama and inviting trouble by making this topic, but I don't care anymore. Do or say whatever. I just need to let it out.

There's certain people on this board (I won't name names) who, no matter what I say, they always are disagreeable and always seem critical of what I say or do. I realize I may have a part in it because what I say and do might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I dunno...some people are just very harsh here. I know, I should get over it, but some of the people just seem so harsh compared to other communities I've visited.

And speaking of drama...I know people don't like drama here, but it still ends up happening a lot (with or without my involvement.)

I agree with you that it seems more common in second life forums and other social platforms similar to second life . Videogame forums ? There's some trollery  , but never this level of purely depraved , desperately trying to prove themselves as relevant or superior , mentality that you find  here.  The absolute famished  are gathered here at the watering hole which is quite frankly , almost dried up.

AND ITS GLORIOUS 

Edited by Midnoot
  • Haha 1

I think the truly negative spewers-of-vitriol are a very small number.  They are just loud in their opinions and thrive on the discord they start.  The forums are strictly for their own entertainment at the expense others. They seem to be here to "win" or "put others in their place," sometimes by their own admission.  It appears to me that none of them are here to discuss, learn, or pass on information or knowledge.  

Anyway, the numbers are small. There are many more kind, thoughtful, and friendly folks.  They just aren't as memorable as the person who just called you names, questioned your post, intent, or tried to shut down any discussion. 

Maybe you could just spend a second noticing each kind post to see that they far outnumber the negative ones.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

(part 2)

I think there are different reasons for people being argumentative on these forums in particular.

A few people enjoy trolling the boards. They often have their own firm opinions, but some just enjoy stirring the pot. 

Some people seem to want attention, to be viewed either as exceptionally wise, clever, or willing to tell things as they see 'em.

Some have a chip on their shoulder, whether justified or not. The forum regulars have been known to pile-on those who they/we view as having a ridiculous or poorly thought out view, so those who feel defensive because of past incidents may be justified in feeling this way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

The forum regulars have been known to pile-on those who they/we view as having a ridiculous or poorly thought out view, so those who feel defensive because of past incidents may be justified in feeling this way.

I'll have to admit to feeling oddly attracted to a good pile-on. It's like watching a train wreck or scouring the news for clips about idiots who are trying hard to win the Darwin Award. Some people do honestly seem to deserve a healthy comeuppance, so it's weirdly satisfying to see them get it.  For me, though, it's a spectator sport. I get my dopamine rush -- somebody else used the term here last week -- sitting in the stands rather than getting my nose bloody on the field.  My sister thinks I'm a chicken. I think I just don't need much dopamine to get a pleasant buzz. Besides, I really don't like blood, even when the idiot at the bottom of the pile is due for a thumping.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

You can go walk the dog or read a book, or maybe take a nap. You get to choose who to listen to.

It might be too early in the morning for me to be posting, but now I want to see someone reading a dog or walking a book.

As per topic - I'm tending to ignore the disagreeable now, because I don't like the knot in my stomach they give me.

• Like 6

It always felt like this forum is a place of old grudges. People that butted heads in the past, got told to stop but can't help but keep going at it. This leads to these weird discussions where the topic is something innocuous yet some folks tear into each other any way they can get away with.

Once you see those ancient battle lines, a lot of the random as hell seeming escalation and vitriol will make more sense. That and there's some folks that love provoking others into stepping over the line so they can drop a report on them.

• Like 11

I partake in many fora on numerous and completely different subjects and there are all manner of differing voices on each and every one.

Undesirables exist everywhere.

Some members are tediously ubiquitous, some overly opinionated, some overflowing with their own self-importance, some believe their voice is the be all and end all of every discussion, those who think being sharp-tongued and demeaning to others is clever and, finally, those who think it's compulsory to respond to absolutely everything whether they add value or not.

Fortunately, on all fora I am part of anyway, the vast bulk of people are just fine. Those less so are readily identified and easily glossed over or, at worst, ignored. 

I'm always grateful that words are read and chunks can be skipped where necessary, rather than having to be listened to. Forum avatars are useful as well, as the entire contents and offerings  of particular individuals can be completely skipped at a glance.

Second Life goes on.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

-I know I'm creating drama and inviting trouble by making this topic, but I don't care anymore. Do or say whatever. I just need to let it out.

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

A few people enjoy trolling the boards. They often have their own firm opinions, but some just enjoy stirring the pot. 

@Gopi Passiflora Most of your posts are posted to incite drama.  Come on now. You already know this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

no matter what I say, they always are disagreeable and always seem critical of what I say

So, not slavishly agreeing with utter nonsense is some kind of "Forum Crime" now?

5 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

SL forums is....how do I put it...it's not as "chill" as other places.

Maybe it's the "really old people over 25 who are nearly dead" thing, less likely to be posting from a campus dorm room while pretending to be stoned out of their gourds on dried parsley because their "Campus Dealer" ripped them off and they didn't realise that it was taking too long to "kick in".

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

A few things:

-I realize this is not about Second Life directly, but more about the board. But I notice this about other boards related to Second Life as well.

And speaking of drama...I know people don't like drama here, but it still ends up happening a lot (with or without my involvement.)

You say yourself you don't care anymore, why would we?
If we all were the same, how deadly boring would this forum be with even more of useless subjects?
Don't forget the cultural behaviours... Americans talk an hour to try not to step on toes about a color of a dress, Dutchies talk 10 seconds and you'll clearly know what color your dress has.

And to add in general ;  most posts on the forum get closed by mods by bickering between 3 or 4 forumites that pretend to be the most social in their actions here... not by posts made by the less agreeable posters.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I'm altering my response, I mean I still firmly believe it is the lack of Reggae, but also this.

I don't want to save the world, I just want a space ship, some sophisticated AI to keep me company, a smattering of nanobots, and I'm good.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I still firmly believe it is the lack of Reggae

Speaking as somebody who had too many school holidays ruined by the holding of a 150 db Reggae festival about a quarter mile from our garden, forcing me to have to spend 10 hrs a day for a week, on the other side of town, I can say, hand on heart, that I wouldn't cry if Reggae was abolished.

I despise it almost as much as my Mother's obsession with the abuse of innocent clarinets by men with goatee beards and berets who didn't bother learning the tune.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Speaking as somebody who had too many school holidays ruined by the holding of a 150 db Reggae festival about a quarter mile from our garden, forcing me to have to spend 10 hrs a day for a week, on the other side of town, I can say, hand on heart, that I wouldn't cry if Reggae was abolished.

I despise it almost as much as my Mother's obsession with the abuse of innocent clarinets by men with goatee beards and berets who didn't bother learning the tune.

/me thinks about sneaking speakers around Zalificent but instead backs away slowly

Ain't no way, ain't no how I am going to risk it 😜

6 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I blame the lack of Reggae 

Anyone that disagrees with me, is not listening to enough Reggae. 

we need more Mahler and Reger... with a little accent of Wagner when it gets heated ... all that baroque gets zo boring .. ditch Bach and Handel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

It might be too early in the morning for me to be posting, but now I want to see someone reading a dog or walking a book.

As per topic - I'm tending to ignore the disagreeable now, because I don't like the knot in my stomach they give me.

Walking my girl dog now at 3:15am local time.