Why is there a lot of disagreeable people on this board? (And by extension, other boards related to SL?)

12 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I vote for limericks, except mine will probably be insulting (in a humorous sort of way),  and I'll get reported

Have you considered just reporting yourself? You know, cut out the middle man?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:
2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

my fellow forumites

travelers on this path of life

suspended 'twixt the real and the unreal

converging on a blended precipice of confusion

........to be continued

Maybe we should start a poetry thread?

I'm saying we exist in confusion quite often here on the forum (blended precipice of confusion)...we disagree and can't sort it out. Does it matter really matter how I say it?  See right here is why we frequently have problems....trashing the way someone says something instead of responding to what they're saying..

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
33 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I hate to ask, how did "we" get on this topic? It's caused trouble in the recent past!

Don't ask 😄

Arielle Popstar <<<<<<<<,<<,<<<<,   LOL

/me wanders in to see if she is disagreeable ... oh, hmmm, no .... I was kind of hoping people were sneakily naming names.  In some ways this forum doesn't really have ENOUGH drama lol.  This topic had immense drama potential, but compared to some topics in the ancient SL forums, or SLU in its heyday, I find this forum rather pleasantly vanilla nowadays.

Maybe the Lindens could loan us the Love Machine for a week or so.

32 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

/me wanders in to see if she is disagreeable ... oh, hmmm, no .... I was kind of hoping people were sneakily naming names.  In some ways this forum doesn't really have ENOUGH drama lol.  This topic had immense drama potential, but compared to some topics in the ancient SL forums, or SLU in its heyday, I find this forum rather pleasantly vanilla nowadays.

Maybe the Lindens could loan us the Love Machine for a week or so.

The sh*t I could tell you about Nika from the "old days."

Gather around, everyone . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The sh*t I could tell you about Nika from the "old days."

Gather around, everyone . . .

I never heard a rule that you can't discuss past forum shenanigans.  I mean, it is SL related.   Give us a little taste.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I never heard a rule that you can't discuss past forum shenanigans.  I mean, it is SL related.   Give us a little taste.

Ah. Call my bluff!

Sadly, I've got nothing. Nika has always been the very model of propriety here, at least so far as I can recall.

But if you're still dissatisfied, I can make something up?

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ah. Call my bluff!

Sadly, I've got nothing. Nika has always been the very model of propriety here, at least so far as I can recall.

But if you're still dissatisfied, I can make something up?

That gives me an idea...thanks! This should be fun.

• Like 2

There’s a lot of people who just use forums in general as an outlet to be rude and argumentative. It’s not unique to here, it’s all over the place. Just rile them up for a laugh and move on.

Specific to here, you probably see a little bit more of it because it’s this really small community to begin with, so there’s a handful of people who do nothing but post here all day and they all hate eachother.

But that’s also not that special, I’ve seen worse in other places. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:
13 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes, perhaps I should report all the ways people sneakily insult others here, but I don't want to bother the mods, and they're hard to prove anyway because they're disguised. So I guess the choice is to not insult, even as a joke, or if you must insult, do so sneakily.

I'm working on a new thread about "how to be nice" to bullies, disagreeable people, etc. in Second Life! I've come up with lots of positive, creative ideas so far. One catch is that you have to be sincere!

Done and done!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:
18 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Some think when you 'turn the other cheek' that you ...

Get smacked in the face TWICE by the a-hole who attacked you.

I believe in defending oneself if needed, but to strike back when it's not necessary only makes you as bad as the person attacking you. Why stoop to their level?

17 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I believe in defending oneself if needed, but to strike back when it's not necessary only makes you as bad as the person attacking you. Why stoop to their level?

So he/she doesn't do it a third time?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

So he/she doesn't do it a third time?

Much 'striking back' behavior isn't needed for protection though, and usually it only escalates into multiple strikes on both sides.

24 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Because it feels good?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Much 'striking back' behavior isn't needed for protection though, and usually it only escalates into multiple strikes on both sides.

Kinda like mutually assured destruction, because a mod will show and give everyone a time out.

😂

2 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
27 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Because it feels good?

That's the justification for war in any world, yes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

The very nature of a person attacking another, mainly with accusations as to their motivations, outright misrepresentation of their position, even complete misquotes or what we can call it: "lies" and "bearing false witness" - is meant to put the target on defense and derail them from the argument they're making.

In most cases, there's no point responding to the accusations, and if it bothers oneself then one would just self-assess to see why one was upset about the accusation - and if there is any truth to it: adjust. If not: discard.

Sometimes I can get suckered in, thinking that if I explain something another way, or use another analogy - that they will understand my position, even if they disagree. But this is rare around here, on the internet and in the world in general right now.

So all one can do is their best to remain nice, forgive people and maybe not hang around them so much anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Codex Alpha said:

The very nature of a person attacking another, mainly with accusations as to their motivations, outright misrepresentation of their position, even complete misquotes or what we can call it: "lies" and "bearing false witness" - is meant to put the target on defense and derail them from the argument they're making.

In most cases, there's no point responding to the accusations, and if it bothers oneself then one would just self-assess to see why one was upset about the accusation - and if there is any truth to it: adjust. If not: discard.

Sometimes I can get suckered in, thinking that if I explain something another way, or use another analogy - that they will understand my position, even if they disagree. But this is rare around here, on the internet and in the world in general right now.

So all one can do is their best to remain nice, forgive people and maybe not hang around them so much anymore.

Wow, I really like your response! 

Especially the first part. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply with such careful logic and examples!

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 7:38 AM, Gopi Passiflora said:

And speaking of drama...I know people don't like drama here, but it still ends up happening a lot (with or without my involvement.)

they make plan,

so drama going on.

schemers

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Like 1