Why is there a lot of disagreeable people on this board? (And by extension, other boards related to SL?)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

@Gopi Passiflora Most of your posts are posted to incite drama.  Come on now. You already know this.

They try to be subtle and somewhat gentle about it, or at least that's how I perceive the result. Alternative title could have been, "Why are mean people?"

IMG_3040.jpeg

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

You say yourself you don't care anymore, why would we?

Yeah, that was a peeve awhile back of mine, certain posters would create threads that started off with, "I don't care about this topic, maybe someone else will". I threw such a tantrum at that! They stopped.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Some people might have jobs in which they are never allowed to complain or disagree.

Some people might be old, poor, in pain, and feel like the world has treated them unfairly.

Some people might just be disagreeable out of habit.

Hey, ALL of that applies to me, but I still never disagree!!!! ;)

My theory is similar, "Oh, they're having a bad day/week/month/life, poor thing, bless'em".

• Like 2

I am on several other forums that's not related to SL, and I see the same everywhere I read.

It is always posts about how bad the forum is... The thing is, all forums I have been on is mostly the same.

The same arguments, the same groups of people that disagree or agree, the same enemies going on each others nerves... The same friends always supporting each other.

This forum is nothing out of the ordinary.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Speaking as somebody who had too many school holidays ruined by the holding of a 150 db Reggae festival about a quarter mile from our garden

Oh my actual god. It's statements like this that make me disagreeable!

Inaccurate reporting of reggae festival decibel levels???? Not on Porky Gorky’s watch!

Just last night I was watching Corey Taylor, frontman of Slipknot, having a conversation with Sandi Toksvig about this very subject. I realize this may sound like an LSD flashback or a cheese dream, but it really happened, it was on QI. If I  remember correctly, the world record for the loudest ever gig was about 139 decibels.

Edited by Porky Gorky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Porky Gorky said:

Oh my actual god. It's statements like this that make me disagreeable!

Inaccurate reporting of reggae festival decibel levels???? Not on Porky Gorky’s watch!

Just last night I was watching Corey Taylor, frontman of Slipknot, having a conversation with Sandi Toksvig about this very subject. I realize this may sound like an LSD flashback or a cheese dream, but it really happened, it was on QI. If I  remember correctly, the world record for the loudest ever gig was about 139 decibels.

Psst! Some people exaggerate! 
(Sometimes I call it "hyperbole" even!)

Fun fact: if I remember correctly, every +3dB represents doubling in volume.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Fun fact: if I remember correctly, every +3dB represents doubling in volume.

Well now I'm feeling even more disagreeable ... .and yes, I believe I have transitioned into outraged!!!

The gall of that woman! How dare she make a flippant comment about reggae festival decibel levels without conducting extensive research first. I doubt we will be seeing her around here anytime soon. She will be too embarrassed I expect.

Edited by Porky Gorky
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Porky Gorky said:

Well now I'm feeling even more disagreeable ... .and yes, I believe I have transitioned into outraged!!!

The gall of that woman! How dare she make a flippant comment about reggae festival decibel levels without conducting extensive research first. I doubt we will be seeing her around here anytime soon. She will be too embarrassed I expect.

In Zal's defense (lol), she could have meant "15.0" dB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Porky Gorky said:

Inaccurate reporting of reggae festival decibel levels????

Pfft, everyone knows Reggae festivals are always several Fahrenheit too loud!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Pfft, everyone knows Reggae festivals are always several Fahrenheit too loud!

Regrets: Years ago, I lived down the street from a Reggae club but only went there once.  Years ago, went to the "Bob Marley Tribute" restaurant at Universal Studios - once, and did not "jam".  

3 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Generally speaking, agreeable people are not interested in discussion, because discussion necessarily involves disagreement :)

I disagree.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

So, not slavishly agreeing with utter nonsense is some kind of "Forum Crime" now?

Maybe it's the "really old people over 25 who are nearly dead" thing, less likely to be posting from a campus dorm room while pretending to be stoned out of their gourds on dried parsley because their "Campus Dealer" ripped them off and they didn't realise that it was taking too long to "kick in".

You know, you could be less harsh with your criticism. It's fine to disagree, but the way you phrase things is just so off-putting. I've dealt with people like you in the past, and they were a pain in the butt.

7 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

You say yourself you don't care anymore, why would we?
If we all were the same, how deadly boring would this forum be with even more of useless subjects?
Don't forget the cultural behaviours... Americans talk an hour to try not to step on toes about a color of a dress, Dutchies talk 10 seconds and you'll clearly know what color your dress has.

And to add in general ;  most posts on the forum get closed by mods by bickering between 3 or 4 forumites that pretend to be the most social in their actions here... not by posts made by the less agreeable posters.

Fine, you do raise good points, but see my post to Zalificent. She and other people are so harsh and so hard to please. I know, my complaining could be unwarranted, but I dunno, sometimes it's just too much.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Generally speaking, agreeable people are not interested in discussion, because discussion necessarily involves disagreement :)

I agree, thereby proving you wrong!!1!!! HAH!!!

8 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

You know, you could be less harsh with your criticism. It's fine to disagree, but the way you phrase things is just so off-putting. I've dealt with people like you in the past, and they were a pain in the butt.

I would have this crossed-stitched into a "sampler", framed, and put on my wall. I know either my sewing machines or embroidery machine could do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I would have this crossed-stitched into a "sampler", framed, and put on my wall. I know either my sewing machines or embroidery machine could do it.

What are you implying with this statement?

26 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

someone should mention the phenomenon of the hive mind and a long pointy stick and how that affects the tranquility of a forum 😂

Let's see, BJ is the hive-mind, and we are the long, pointy stick! Got it!

Just now, Gopi Passiflora said:
3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What are you implying with this statement?

Well, when someone quotes you and says they would "frame" what you said (implying they would hang it on the wall), it directly implies they think you said something quotable, worth repeating, etc.  It was a complement.

I won't go into the "history of the needlework Sampler", but..

Example antique needlework "Sampler":

Antique Sampler Shop - 1853 Antique English Needlework Sampler Peacocks  Flower Vases

Example modern cross-stitch "Sampler" with a quotation:

Vintage Cross Stitch Sampler Framed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Let's see, BJ is the hive-mind, and we are the long, pointy stick! Got it!

It's usually the people with the long pointy stick who just use it to stir the pot (or hive, although that just makes me laugh) and then whine when they get stung.  Go figure!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

It's usually the people with the long pointy stick who just use it to stir the pot (or hive, although that just makes me laugh) and then whine when they get stung.  Go figure!

I know, right? I thought they called that "trolling"!

• Like 1