Why is there a lot of disagreeable people on this board? (And by extension, other boards related to SL?)

A few things:

-I realize this is not about Second Life directly, but more about the board. But I notice this about other boards related to Second Life as well.

-I know I'm creating drama and inviting trouble by making this topic, but I don't care anymore. Do or say whatever. I just need to let it out.

There's certain people on this board (I won't name names) who, no matter what I say, they always are disagreeable and always seem critical of what I say or do. I realize I may have a part in it because what I say and do might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I dunno...some people are just very harsh here. I know, I should get over it, but some of the people just seem so harsh compared to other communities I've visited.

And speaking of drama...I know people don't like drama here, but it still ends up happening a lot (with or without my involvement.)

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Some people might have jobs in which they are never allowed to complain or disagree.

Some people might be old, poor, in pain, and feel like the world has treated them unfairly.

Some people might just be disagreeable out of habit.

I disagree!! Oh, wait. I agree. Sorry, habit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

Some people might have jobs in which they are never allowed to complain or disagree.

Some people might be old, poor, in pain, and feel like the world has treated them unfairly.

Some people might just be disagreeable out of habit.

I suppose so. I guess it's what they call a "chip on their shoulder",  perhaps?

Thanks for the insight Persephone.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I'll admit it. But the topic is also something that's been bugging me I guess.

As Persephone said, paraphrasing, disagreeable people come in many flavors, mostly bitter.

For example though on the Forums, you eventually figure out who is "always" disagreeable, who is "just grumpy", who has no filter, and who exhibits a healthy and complex range of emotions and moods.

Worrisome on occasion, you see someone act totally out of character. It can be all too easy judging that they need an "intervention" vs. are having a bad day.

One thing I've learned to look for is if someone "goes on attack mode" or completely overreacts; I try not to let those instances dictate my own mood, and steer clear. Toxic behavior is like stepping in manure; just try not to get any on you. 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

As Persephone said, paraphrasing, disagreeable people come in many flavors, mostly bitter.

For example tho on the Forums, you eventually figure out who is "always" disagreeable, who is "just grumpy", who has no filter, and who exhibits a healthy and complex range of emotions and moods.

Worrisome on occasion, you see someone act totally out of character. It can be all too easy judging that they need an "intervention" vs. are having a bad day.

One thing I've learned to look for is if someone "goes on attack mode" or completely overreacts; I try not to let those instances dictate my own mood, and steer clear. Toxic behavior is like stepping in manure; just try not to get any on you. 

Thank you for the advice Love. Perhaps the disagreeable people are just like that and I shouldn't take their grumpiness seriously.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I hope this is gonna be the new hot topic, that one about thunes buying tilia is kinda boring. 😂

BJ, someone took over your account and changed your profile picture!!

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

A few things:

I'm just here to point out the obvious, Gopi. I'm not trying to mess with this topic at alllllllllll, so I'll be quick. 😂

You really don't need to read or respond to anything you don't want to. Use the block feature, or just scroll past posts you don't want to engage with.

That goes for every forum/social media platform. Kind of an essential skill these days across the entire Internet.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

A few things:

-I realize this is not about Second Life directly, but more about the board. But I notice this about other boards related to Second Life as well.

-I know I'm creating drama and inviting trouble by making this topic, but I don't care anymore. Do or say whatever. I just need to let it out.

There's certain people on this board (I won't name names) who, no matter what I say, they always are disagreeable and always seem critical of what I say or do. I realize I may have a part in it because what I say and do might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I dunno...some people are just very harsh here. I know, I should get over it, but some of the people just seem so harsh compared to other communities I've visited.

And speaking of drama...I know people don't like drama here, but it still ends up happening a lot (with or without my involvement.)

I always enjoy your posts..

I wouldn't worry too much about the ones that might disagree or whatever.. If it's constructive  use it, if it just feels like someone is disagreeing to just disagree.. Disregard it. You don't have to replay or react to everyone..:)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Thank you for the advice Love. Perhaps the disagreeable people are just like that and I shouldn't take their grumpiness seriously.

Push the right buttons and almost everyone can be disagreeable. Some just have more buttons/opinions then others and may be more aggressive in stating them. The ones that lurk and offer no thought maybe just as vehemently disagreeable without stating so. 

So is the issue with people who voice/post their disagreement?

Edited by Arielle Popstar
  • Like 1

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Push the right buttons and almost everyone can be disagreeable. Some just have more buttons/opinions then others and may be more aggressive in in stating them. The ones that lurk and offer no thought maybe just as vehemently disagreeable without stating so. 

So is the issue with people who voice/post their disagreement?

I suppose so. You do have some good points but I just found this forum and many other SL forums is....how do I put it...it's not as "chill" as other places. Yes, I guess maybe there's more aggressive and forthright people here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I suppose so. You do have some good points but I just found this forum and many other SL forums is....how do I put it...it's not as "chill" as other places. Yes, I guess maybe there's more aggressive and forthright people here.

I find the heavy moderation and stricter community guidelines have put quite a crimp on people voicing how disagreeable they really can be if one considers what the forums were like even a few years ago. I see some unmoderated forums that can be a little more chaotic then here nowadays.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Push the right buttons and almost everyone can be disagreeable. Some just have more buttons/opinions then others and may be more aggressive in stating them.

I totally agree. Some people, all you have to do is look at them wrong! Like with some predators, I find it can be best to not make eye contact.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I find the heavy moderation and stricter community guidelines have put quite a crimp on people voicing how disagreeable they really can be if one considers what the forums were like even a few years ago. I see some unmoderated forums that can be a little more chaotic then here nowadays.

I suppose so. That's all I'll say for now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I totally agree. Some people, all you have to do is look at them wrong! Like with some predators, I find it can be best to not make eye contact.

Yes the common response to being triggered is "fight, flight or freeze" (though only the first 2 are "officially" recognized and I added the third because I see it happen so often)

It could be that people are contrarians who like to disagree with the majority viewpoint. They don't feel like being a sheep following the herd. 

I don't feel this way. I often feel like an outsider in my viewpoints.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I suppose so. That's all I'll say for now.

You can disagree, if you want. IJS

ETA: It wouldn't mean you're "disagreeable".

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

Regarding other boards related to SL:

- Reddit: Look at who from that board posts here, and the general tone of those posts.

- Virtual Secrets: Best to ignore.

- The Daily Blab: This is made up, it's just Bagnu.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Regarding other boards related to SL:

- Reddit: Look at who from that board posts here, and the general tone of those posts.

- Virtual Secrets: Best to ignore.

- The Daily Blab: This is made up, it's just Bagnu.

SL Reddit is actually really nice from what I've seen. It's very moderated, though, so it's rare to see much shenanigans.

VS is gone. 

You forgot VVO, which is also pretty chill.

Individual Discords are also nice, though there is the occasional yikes from time to time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2