Why is there a lot of disagreeable people on this board? (And by extension, other boards related to SL?)

43 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

A lot of times, there are things I'd love to say but it's not because the 'hive mind' would disagree but because it's against the forum rules.   I do sometimes post things against the rules which are then removed.  Such is life.   Maybe stop to think about why people push back instead of assuming there's some grand conspiracy against a specific person.   If you keep posting drek or stir the pot, people WILL point and laugh or push back.  That's not an SL forum exclusive thing by any means.

Pointing, laughing, and pushing back is not the problem, the problem is that some people in here look for any excuse to report a post in the hopes of getting the author in trouble.

Don’t want to get in trouble? just nod and agree. 

But, thats not just in here is it?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Pointing, laughing, and pushing back is not the problem, the problem is that some people in here look for any excuse to report a post in the hopes of getting the author in trouble.

How does one know who reported their post? How does one know the motivation for a post being reported? 

If one's post is removed, all we really know is that a moderator agreed that it was inappropriate for this forum. We don't know if a post was reported and not removed, because even if someone says they reported a post, we can't know if they actually did.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

^ This ^  Thank you.

This whole "hive mind" crap is ridiculous. People have a multitude of opinions, on these forums and elsewhere. Just because someone's might not be normal or commonly accepted, this doesn't mean there's some vast conspiracy of "elites" and their brainwashed masses trying to stamp out their freedom to speak truth to power.

I could post truth about many issues, and defo get piled on and reported, so fine if u don’t want to call it the hive mind, I myself have called it “orthodoxy of thought” for many years, but I never ever thought it would get as bad as it is now.

But, to reference the OP, how could you possibly think these forums could be any way other than how they are?

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
spelling, added stuff

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I laugh when people get upset when posts are "reported". If it isn't a post that shouldn't be n the forums then why worry about it?  Just because you report something doesn't mean anything will be done about it. Trust me, I've reported many a post where that report was simply ignored.  Also, you have no idea if the post was reported or the mod just happened to read it and take action.  

You bring this up a lot. Are many of your posts removed? I'm curious now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So, what about forums that "swear up and down" that there IS a hive mind?  

Just because people deny something, makes it suspect?

Wow!

No it is when their actions betray their words that it is suspect.

2 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I could post truth about many issues, and defo get piled on and reported, so fine if u don’t want to call it the hive mind, I myself have called it “orthodoxy of though” for many years, but I never ever thought it would get as bad as it is now

Btw, I like your new picture.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I laugh when people get upset when posts are "reported". If it isn't a post that shouldn't be n the forums then why worry about it?  Just because you report something doesn't mean anything will be done about it. Trust me, I've reported many a post where that report was simply ignored.  Also, you have no idea if the post was reported or the mod just happened to read it and take action.  

Depends how well you can justify the reason it should be removed. And maybe too if you bring an apple to class.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

There are some people, ok one person, on this forum that have overly exaggerated posts that are mostly likely the opposite of how they really are in person. A puppet might you say.  Why do they do it? I suspect they find it more interesting to post in this way finding more and more ways to be disagreeable or just skate under the forum rules.  If you don't see this you are too sensitive and should get off the internet.

I post how I think and feel. I don't follow norms though there are certain people that I find always have great insight or a posting style I like, as do others,  which may make it seem like a pile up.

Some people agree with what I say....A LOT of people don't. Shrugs, if I cared what strangers on the internet thought of me I'd have left these forums a longgggg time ago.  I post here because it's entertainment.  @Gopi Passiflora if you don't find value or the people here to your liking and it upsets you then WHY in heaven's sake are you here at all?   Honestly, go find something better to do with your time because very few people will change because you called them meanies.

First off, I'm not saying everyone here is bad or mean. My post was more just me wanting to vent about certain people on the forum.

Yes, maybe I'm too sensitive but shouldn't I be allowed to vent sometimes? I mean if people are allowed to criticize me then I can also criticize them as well. Maybe my venting is a way to criticize those people as well, to let them know I don't approve of their behavior. Yes I know I can't change them, but I dunno.

I'm also here to partake in and enjoy discussions. I'm not leaving anytime soon.

(I wish I could have phrased my post better, but hopefully you can see what I mean.)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

First off, I'm not saying everyone here is bad or mean. My post was more just me wanting to vent about certain people on the forum.

Yes, maybe I'm too sensitive but shouldn't I be allowed to vent sometimes? I mean if people are allowed to criticize me then I can also criticize them as well. Maybe my venting is a way to criticize those people as well, to let them know I don't approve of their behavior. Yes I know I can't change them, but I dunno.

I'm also here to partake in and enjoy discussions. I'm not leaving anytime soon.

(I wish I could have phrased my post better, but hopefully you can see what I mean.)

Problem is that when one does not mention or imply a certain person, it leaves others to wonder if you meant them and some that you did mean to think you didn't mean them :)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

What you call "venting" on here is useless because we have no idea who you are referring to.  

11 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:
19 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I think some disagreeable people may be just a tad "paranoid" that somehow they will be "silenced".

If a post is "reportable", then nobody should freak out when their post is "reported".

If a post is "not reportable", then the mods will not act on the "report".

If you don't trust the mods, then why post things that "omg they may get reported"?

So, either way - worrying about that kind of thing is sad.

Disagreeable people. Sad!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Problem is that when one does not mention or imply a certain person, it leaves others to wonder if you meant them and some that you did mean to think you didn't mean them :)

It could be fun to always assume we mean "you"! 

Then, when people repeatedly say things like, "it's not all about YOU", that repeated exposure may give you some reassurance. 🙂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Perhaps contacting those two directly might get you less attention.

You're right, I suppose I should have done that instead. I guess I was hesitant to do so because I didn't want to bother them with private messages.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Disagreeable people. Sad!

Disagreeable people can be some of the most wonderful people on this planet.

Why?

When that vulnerable person is being bullied and harassed by a group of thugs. Most will just do what the person next to them is doing - Stand and watch. It takes someone who routinely does not accept the status quo to step in and act.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

You know, you could be less harsh with your criticism.

Ah! So it's ok for you to tell other people how to post., what to think, especially if they don't think the way you want.

It's fine to disagree, but the way you phrase things is just so off-putting

Right, so when I disagree with some nonsense you spammed the forum with, I should phrase it so nobody KNOWS I disagree with it. Got it, thanks for the heads up.

I've dealt with people like you in the past, and they were a pain in the butt.

Working As Intended. It's not my job to agree with you, slavishly, no matter how inane your statements. You want that you have to pay wages.

And you can't afford me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:
8 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Perhaps contacting those two directly might get you less attention.

You're right, I suppose I should have done that instead. I guess I was hesitant to do so because I didn't want to bother them with private messages.

Often times, the Mods encourage us to "take it offline / to DM's".

That can be scary if the other person is disagreeable. 

Heck, I have most disagreeable people blocked!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Or get reported for harassment.

Stay out of my messages.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I've had quite a few of my posts removed.  I'd assume because someone reported them.  That's fine by me if they were off topic or not allowed.   A mod isn't going to remove a post simply because it's reported.  If it's something against the rules, yes.  Read the rules.  I know full well some of mine will be reported and removed.   Most times, in the last few years anyway, there are no ramifications.  The mods just remove it.  I've had exactly 3 slaps from mods since I started posting here.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

One is not allowed to discuss moderator actions against oneself, its against the rules, the post would most certainly be reported and removed.

Plus its not in keeping with the topic of the thread.

If you want a discussion about that, you’ll have to start a new thread “how many of your posts have been removed”.

But, anyone that posted a reply would have their post removed for breaking the rules. 😂

30 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I could post truth about many issues, and defo get piled on and reported

I'm guessing they're YOUR truths or what most people call, opinions.  If they're SL related, I don't see why a mod would remove them.  If you're talking opinions on RL issues, then you have a problem.  We just had a handful of RL issue posts removed this morning for being...RL posts.  A few of mine included.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

So you thought it best just to create a thread and call them out in front of everyone?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

It's not my job to agree with you, slavishly, no matter how inane your statements.

I've seen you post almost this exact thing in response to me.

FYI - agreeing with someone is not necessarily behaving "slavishly".