Why is there a lot of disagreeable people on this board? (And by extension, other boards related to SL?)

2 hours ago, Porky Gorky said:

Oh my actual god. It's statements like this that make me disagreeable!

Inaccurate reporting of reggae festival decibel levels???? Not on Porky Gorky’s watch!

Just last night I was watching Corey Taylor, frontman of Slipknot, having a conversation with Sandi Toksvig about this very subject. I realize this may sound like an LSD flashback or a cheese dream, but it really happened, it was on QI. If I  remember correctly, the world record for the loudest ever gig was about 139 decibels.

I was a kid, trying to read in the back garden, while listening to my own preferred music on ear buds, I didn't have a decibel meter, just the fact that suddenly, you couldn't hear your own music because yay, a bloody festival, next to a residential area, 10 hours a bloody day for a week.

11 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I was a kid, trying to read in the back garden, while listening to my own preferred music on ear buds, I didn't have a decibel meter, just the fact that suddenly, you couldn't hear your own music because yay, a bloody festival, next to a residential area, 10 hours a bloody day for a week.

Speaking from experience, at least it wasn't American Country Music.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Psst! Some people exaggerate! 
(Sometimes I call it "hyperbole" even!)

Fun fact: if I remember correctly, every +3dB represents doubling in volume.

No, you use the word hyperbole when you want to call me a liar, but don't want a moles banhammer up your tail.

1 hour ago, Porky Gorky said:

The gall of that woman! How dare she make a flippant comment about reggae festival decibel levels without conducting extensive research first.

Can I hear my self think? No. Is it too damn  loud? Yes. Does the local authority send round its sound level officers to investigate complains from LOCALS? No, because attacking "ethnic music" might get bad PR.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In Zal's defense (lol), she could have meant "15.0" dB.

No, I meant TOO DAMN LOUD.  Reported for obvious trolling.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

No, you use the word hyperbole when you want to call me a liar, but don't want a moles banhammer up your tail.

OMG! You thought that this whole time? Oh my, I'm so sorry!

Not at all, merely the actual definition.

hy·per·bo·le
/hīˈpərbəlē/
noun

1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    "he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles"
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Zalificent Corvinus I just want to say that, while you are often harsh, you can also be very funny.  Also I know what you mean about noise.  I find it bad enough here in the warmer months when the local pub decides it must have extremely loud music outdoors - and a lot of that comes from locals doing painful karaoke - but at least they change the genre now and then.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Typo.
  • Like 1

what used to be called a different opinion, is now called trolling, or misinformation, or a conspiracy theory as far as the hive mind is concerned.

The hive mind permits no dissent, the hive minds knows all and is at peace.

😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I know what the word means, and I know how you mis-use it.

I am truly sorry that you feel that way. I choose my words carefully.

Now I know you are sensitive, so will choose my words even more carefully.  Today I learned!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

what used to be called a different opinion, is now called trolling, or misinformation, or a conspiracy theory as far as the hive mind is concerned.

The hive mind permits no dissent, the hive minds knows all and is at peace.

😂

You're absolutely right, of course. Those who seem disagreeable just have a different "truth", probably.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

In my younger days, I’d go to a concert and my ears would buzz for 24 afterwards. One time, when i was older and wiser, I was at a loud concert and thought, this is crazy, if I was at work and the noise was this loud i’d put in some earplugs. Well, I just happened to have a pair with me, so I pulled then out and put them in, and enjoyed the rest of the concert 😁

• Like 2

A lot of times, there are things I'd love to say but it's not because the 'hive mind' would disagree but because it's against the forum rules.   I do sometimes post things against the rules which are then removed.  Such is life.   Maybe stop to think about why people push back instead of assuming there's some grand conspiracy against a specific person.   If you keep posting drek or stir the pot, people WILL point and laugh or push back.  That's not an SL forum exclusive thing by any means.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You're absolutely right, of course. Those who seem disagreeable just have a different "truth", probably.

There is only one truth, the rest is self delusion

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CandyCole said:

Undesirables exist everywhere.

This.

Motivation is key:  Some are motivated to be in that group.  Others are motivated to *not* be in that group.  

Sharp users in the latter group use their skills to stay in that group while, at the same time, not compromising their lessons learned nor limiting their own ability to re/consider nay-sayers points as useful (or not so).  Ie critical thinking does not always require taking acting to "criticize".  

And given that even the most pristine, self-controlled users have a bad day here and there (and should be afforded room when so).  Life is hard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps disagreeable people in SL or on the SL forums just want to feel special, relevant, and come across as edgy. They want to be noticed and are no good at getting that attention in a productive way. It's like hearing children squeal, "Look at me! Look at me! Can you see how cool I am, yet? Im skating back and forth on the line between acceptable and unacceptable. Look at me dammit! Im doing everything I can to get a reaction."

People like to feel like they are the keepers of some special knowledge that only they are smart enough to recognize and important enough to know. They are the first ones to complain about hive minds and sheeple. So, disagreeable people are special and need a lot of attention. 

Also, some people just want to kill the forums and enjoy watching other people hurt. It's fun and entertaining. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kyrie Deka said:

This.

Motivation is key:  Some are motivated to be in that group.  Others are motivated to *not* be in that group.  

The "White Knights" who step in to "defend the underdog" can also be QUITE disagreeable.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

A lot of times, there are things I'd love to say but it's not because the 'hive mind' would disagree but because it's against the forum rules.   I do sometimes post things against the rules which are then removed.  Such is life.   Maybe stop to think about why people push back instead of assuming there's some grand conspiracy against a specific person.   If you keep posting drek or stir the pot, people WILL point and laugh or push back.  That's not an SL forum exclusive thing by any means.

^ This ^  Thank you.

This whole "hive mind" crap is ridiculous. People have a multitude of opinions, on these forums and elsewhere. Just because someone's might not be normal or commonly accepted, this doesn't mean there's some vast conspiracy of "elites" and their brainwashed masses trying to stamp out their freedom to speak truth to power.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

^ This ^  Thank you.

This whole "hive mind" crap is ridiculous.

It's a "dog whistle".

Disagreeable people apparently feel oppressed. Because those who don't agree with them must be some kind of Borg. lol.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Borg!
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The "White Knights" who step in to "defend the underdog" can also be QUITE disagreeable.

Yes.  Leading back to the aforementioned disagreeing does not require being disagreeable.  I see those as being vastly different where the former has value, and the tone of the latter being thoroughly counterproductive.  And being disagreeable requires a lot of life-energy.  Which I prefer to use for other pursuits these days.  Like being happy and capable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

^ This ^  Thank you.

This whole "hive mind" crap is ridiculous. People have a multitude of opinions, on these forums and elsewhere. Just because someone's might not be normal or commonly accepted, this doesn't mean there's some vast conspiracy of "elites" and their brainwashed masses trying to stamp out their freedom to speak truth to power.

The forums that have the hive minds are ones where the participants swear up and down that there is not a hive mind. The SL forums are not so hive minded as other ones I have seen. But yeah, hive minded forums do exist.

4 minutes ago, Kyrie Deka said:

And being disagreeable requires a lot of life-energy.  Which I prefer to use for other pursuits these days.  Like being happy and capable.

Disagreeable people are like "Energy Vampires"!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The forums that have the hive minds are ones where the participants swear up and down that there is not a hive mind.

So, what about forums that "swear up and down" that there IS a hive mind?  

Just because people deny something, makes it suspect?

Wow!

• Like 1

There are some people, ok one person, on this forum that have overly exaggerated posts that are mostly likely the opposite of how they really are in person. A puppet might you say.  Why do they do it? I suspect they find it more interesting to post in this way finding more and more ways to be disagreeable or just skate under the forum rules.  If you don't see this you are too sensitive and should get off the internet.

I post how I think and feel. I don't follow norms though there are certain people that I find always have great insight or a posting style I like, as do others,  which may make it seem like a pile up.

Some people agree with what I say....A LOT of people don't. Shrugs, if I cared what strangers on the internet thought of me I'd have left these forums a longgggg time ago.  I post here because it's entertainment.  @Gopi Passiflora if you don't find value or the people here to your liking and it upsets you then WHY in heaven's sake are you here at all?   Honestly, go find something better to do with your time because very few people will change because you called them meanies.

• Thanks 1