Why did you leave IMVU for Secondlife?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 95 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I originally started with Secondlife but could not figure out it.  I find IMVU and it was easier to use.  After being spammed in my IMVU mail with message about buying credits and products from IMVU I chose to leave IMVU for Secondlife.  What I mean is that most of my messages in IMVU's mail service was about buying credits and products.  It seemed like that IMVU was so hard up for money that they had to spam my IMVU Mail with how to get credits and products that are new.   I really doubt that IMVU is in need of money that badly.  I was using IMVU before they started allowing people to sell IMVU credits on their website.   No matter if they change or not I am never going back to IMVU.

If I should have posted this in another place then please let me know where I should posted this post in the first place.

• Like 3

I found IMVU first like 17 years ago  *gray hairs form*

It's actually the next closest thing to SL, as much as I hate to admit that. In terms of being able to customize your avatar. Of course, SL's FAR more in depth with the customization though.

The 1st problem is that it's all kids. Literally 12-18 and under in the majority of the rooms.

The 2nd problem is that they've transformed it. Now the only rooms that show in the search are rooms with "moderator and owner's present" ONLY. They delete rooms of owner's who were inactive for too long, removing all my favorite hangouts. You can imagine how often unfair ejections and bans happen in rooms where the owner's 10  twelve year old friends are the only ones present until you join...

Edited by Midnoot
  • Like 5

I was in other  place  from 2007-2011 but after 2010 they took away voice , Took away mature adult things even bonk many people had adult pass verification , Dj could not stream music like they used to. A lot of things were taken away that friends were not logging in anymore. People got tired of clique groups  that report things for no reason that these group some how had power it got people vanished if you did not fit in they find ways to cross others. Things got old and it scared people away but that place need to  stop these group but I don't go on thier but that in the past this the present and second life is home. Many of us came to Second life For freedom so we can be ourselves to voice , listen to music and play music and have fun with laughs just hanging out finding the kind good people on the same level. 

Edited by ShaydraPromise
  • Like 3

I left IMVU within a week, because I couldn't customize my avatar enough, and all I got was random chats with guys in Romania who wanted to rant about burning gypsy villages and stuff, and tell me how stupid I was for not being a man.

That was years before I found SL.

Funnily enough, when I found where all the Romanian people hang out in SL, and went to hang out cos timezones, they were all actually very nice.

I think the platform definitely makes a difference.

• Like 4

I just remembered IMVU charging a whole lot of credits for Premium Names.  Having to pay 500,000 Credits from a 2 letter Premium Name, 500,000 Credits for 3 letter Premium Name, and 150,000 Credits for any other Premium Names.  I remember when you could use certain actions for free then latter on they made you have to buy VIP to use those actions.

• Like 1

I joined IMVU after i joined Second Life to see how making clothes work there.  The seams on clothes in IMVU go up your belly button and down your spine instead of along your sides so I could not take my (before mesh) clothes there without some serious chopping up in photoshop.  I had a lot of fun shopping there and getting banned from rooms just for being a neko.  IMVU is a strange game all the guys ask you is do you like sex.   Over and over like it is the greatest question since sliced bread.  They can have 10 rooms open at the same time asking 10 different girls that same dumb question.  When they cant do anything about it without a adult pass, and all the animations are terrible.   Its basically a endless money pit of credits going on shopping for cute stuff you cant wear anywhere because rooms have too many rules and they can only fit 10 people aka the owners friends not you. 

I purchased a super expensive naked suit that just got deleted after one day because i had no adult pass, and SL lets you be naked free. I also heard it is illegal to take money out of IMVU even when you are a creator you have to do dodgey back door deals with third party banks with no recourse if they rip you off.  It seemed wrong that its super easy to buy IMVU money (there is cards even at the supermarket), yet super duper hard to take your hard earned money out.  Given that at the time it was easy to take money out from SL (back then) (& still is easier and much safer). I decided Second Life was a better use of my time.

Plus you cant beat walking or flying jumping from dot to dot is so unrealistic.

• Like 5

I started out on IMVU probably back in 2007 or 2008, back in the bobblehead days, I actually liked it a lot back then. This was before their mass migration to SL. I used to watch a show called Gossip Girl and it had a tie in with Second Life. People always remember CSI and the Office, but there were other shows that had tie ins that didn't make SL look terrible. I tried it out from there and was wowed.

I kinda never looked back. A couple years ago, i tried it again, since I kept running into so many transplants telling me how awesome it was. First, I tried to reopen my old account. I couldn't remember any of my account details or my password or the email i used. So I started a new account and was instantly greeted by a bunch of popups and it triggered a migraine after about 1 hour.

I logged out and uninstalled. People talk about how un-user friendly SL is, try IMVU and get back to me.

• Like 3

the user unfrieindliness(some say, not me) of sl has a big benefit, if you are not capable of finding out how it works, i dont wanna meet you.

there is a learning curve, but imo most things that are worthy do have a learning curve.

• Like 4

Oh crap... based on some comments here, I probably would hate being on IMVU today then. Popups upon first login? Never got that from any other metaverse I've tried so far, not even VRChat. Never had an issue with the learning curve of SL. Mechanically, SL isn't much different from playing RPG's or flight simulators IMO. That's why I got that part quickly. It's the creative end of things that took longer for me to figure out... but that one never ends, really. That's what hooked me to SL (and a bit later with Open Sim, the weirdo hypergrid cousin), along with some of the social aspects it encourages in world.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I was never at IMVU.  Found SL and never looked for anything else.

I found SL first, and did look at a few "similar" things then, out of interest of what else is there, but nothing could hold SL's virtual proverbial beer.

I was, however, never at IMVU specifically, because, while I like forming my own opinion, it seemed abundantly clear I'd not like it from what I read. 

8 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

1. My avatar couldn't walk.

That alone probably would have been enough, actually. In SL, I could even fly, so, going somewhere I can't walk, deal breaker.

• Like 3

Another thing that turned me off: You have to pay for everything. Are you an adult? It costs $20 to get an adult badge. You want these jeans? They cost coins, but not the regular coins, the other coins..the ones you have to pay for. I hate two currency systems.

• Like 2

I never left SL for IMVU. What I did do was check IMVU out around 20 years ago. When I found out Anshe had her fingers in that pie (as well as many others) I left and never looked back. I never logged in much to begin with since the graphics didn't hold a candle to Active Worlds, much less SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 95 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.