Why did you leave IMVU for Secondlife?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 95 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had never even heard of IMVU before I found SL, people in SL talk about it sometimes but it had completely passed me by and looking at it I honestly don't get it... just seems very limiting, weirdly so. Like they built a lot of tech that isn't fully realized.

• Like 2

I haven't liked chat rooms since the 90s, that is what IMVU reminded me of.  Just a bunch of different chat rooms which is great for people who like to chat, I prefer the forum format when I do feel like being social.  I was introduced to it on another forum by some friends, logged in, chatted for a bit, and thought it was fun for what it was but would have rather been able to explore a bit more, have an open world and from I recall IMVU did not offer that.  It was years later that I would try second life, which offers so much more than just being a place to chat with people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

unless IMVU used the interactive advertising where you were given a few options to customize something, i wasn't aware of it before SL. Something made me curious to give it a try wasn't impressed think i gave up after a few days. go back to it a couple of years+ later and my account had been deleted no warning. signed up again still not impressed, in their viewer it's a case of i'm here now what do i do. the whole room thing doesn't work for me. The first time you login to SL you're given a world you can move around in and there's other people that might chat to you 

• Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 2:28 AM, Calartuir said:

I originally started with Secondlife but could not figure out it.  I find IMVU and it was easier to use.  After being spammed in my IMVU mail with message about buying credits and products from IMVU I chose to leave IMVU for Secondlife.  What I mean is that most of my messages in IMVU's mail service was about buying credits and products.  It seemed like that IMVU was so hard up for money that they had to spam my IMVU Mail with how to get credits and products that are new.   I really doubt that IMVU is in need of money that badly.  I was using IMVU before they started allowing people to sell IMVU credits on their website.   No matter if they change or not I am never going back to IMVU.

If I should have posted this in another place then please let me know where I should posted this post in the first place.

I tried IMVU out a few times throughout the years, even though I have been in SL for much, much longer. It's just not for me, for several reasons.

• Hard to build anything significant or cool. SL has way more freedom and possibilities in that regard.
  • There is no "world"/map to explore/travel on. It also does not have a land market. Those are 2 things that many enjoy in SL
  • Strong focus on fashion and making nice-looking avatars since there is not much else to do.
  • Inability to walk around freely and explore the world around you, having to hop from poseball to poseball to move.
  • Limited amount of animations (Pieces of furniture don't seem to have extensive menus with different animations like SL does)
  • Very limited access to adult content unless you verify your age using your RL ID and pay for an "Adult Pass" (one-time fee of 20 USD) - I never paid for that, so I have no clue if it's worth it.
  • It feels like a chatroom, as @Istelathis said on her post
  • Lots of AFK people who don't really interact with others and some are rude and cliquey (SL has the same issue to some extent, but my impression is that it's worse on IMVU)

And the worst part: LOTS OF UNDERAGE PEOPLE. Kids and teenagers who probably should not be on that game, but somehow have access to it (this particular issue seems to have gotten even worse after they released a mobile app.) Maybe that factor is not as bad if you purchase the "Adult Pass" that they sell, but my guess is that many, like me, didn't like IMVU enough to do that. SL is infinitely better as an adult who is only interested in talking to other adults, since the userbase is significantly older on average, and has a steeper learning curve for new users. A more pleasant experience by a long shot.

In general, there are way more things available to do in SL than on IMVU.

So yeah, I am personally not interested in IMVU at all. However, I respect the opinion of those who enjoy it and choose to be there. 

Edited by Clem Marques
Added things
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Clem Marques said:

this particular issue seems to have gotten even worse after they released a mobile app.

I'm sure others have noted this but is there maybe something to be aware of for SL and the upcoming mobile release? It's another topic of course but there has been some discussion of a possibility of age verification needing to return to SL given the audience of under-18s is going to grow a lot and the app store policies of Google and Apple.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I'm sure others have noted this but is there maybe something to be aware of for SL and the upcoming mobile release? It's another topic of course but there has been some discussion of a possibility of age verification needing to return to SL given the audience of under-18s is going to grow a lot and the app store policies of Google and Apple.

I hope that's for people that just use that app for the phone viewer..

One thing I'll never have on my phone is my SL account or any account that is really important.. Someone can't just snatch my desktop and run off and get into it.. Someone can pick pocket your phone.. let alone just someone snatch it out of your hand while you are looking at it in public.. hehehe

If someone grabbed my phone right now , they would probably  just throw it away because there is nothing  in it or tied to anything else..

Damn, what a boooring phone!! \o/

hehehe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Keep all the phone people in General areas!  😁

• Like 2

I still use imvu because a lot of my friends won't use SL because they don't like how it is with having to work to figure out the simple things like dressing avatars up, but imvu is also cheaper when it comes to the currency they have and its easy to dress up avatars. However over the last few years i had to take breaks from imvu because i was dealing with constant issues from people causing my mental health to be worse. I found SL to be more better in creative aspects and more to do since I have done almost everything on imvu. I still go on there to sometimes dress up, take photos and hangout with my friends. But i use SL more than i used too when i first joined i couldnt figure out how SL worked until 2018. I love being on SL and i enjoy being around people who are actually 18+ and not faking it to fit in like on imvu. 

• Thanks 1

Isn't IMVU just a 2D chat screen where you look at a still life cartoon picture with nothing going on?

Or is it more than that?

I've always wondered why it was compared to SL. It feels like comparing filling out an online tax form to hanging out at a music festival. Like... why are these things even in the same sentence?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Isn't IMVU just a 2D chat screen where you look at a still life cartoon picture with nothing going on?

Or is it more than that?

I've always wondered why it was compared to SL. It feels like comparing filling out an online tax form to hanging out at a music festival. Like... why are these things even in the same sentence?

It is 3d like SL but lacks a physics engine preventing one from walking, There are animated walks built into poseballs but not a free ranging walk or travel.  Imagine SL with a crashed physics engine and you would have IMVU where you can cam around yourself as well as the room and just doubleclick TP to move around, though there it requires the use of poseballs.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Or is it more than that?

that is basically what it is and dot hopping instead of walking a lot of the chatrooms on imvu are quiet even if people are in the rooms some are AFK and just logged in to look active. 

It’s really easy to download the app and try it out for yourself. LL wouldn’t ban you for doing so. And just as easy to uninstall.

It really is a downgrade, imo. In my experience people that migrate here and then go back do so because they’ve caused a lot of drama and burned a lot of bridges here.

Then show back up 6 months to a year later….

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WereBeast Alpha said:

that is basically what it is and dot hopping instead of walking a lot of the chatrooms on imvu are quiet even if people are in the rooms some are AFK and just logged in to look active. 

Not that different from a lot of venues in SL. What is nice in IMVU is they have better filtering to be able to see who and what age the people in the room are.

• Like 1

A few other points where IMVU excels over SL. 

Residents in IMVU tend to be more personable and friendly. There are rooms where some are AFK but it easy to open other rooms as one is allowed to be in multiple rooms at once. The IMVU viewer had tabs like a browser where one can be in a couple different rooms while at the same time be shopping in another tab and dressing in another.

When one buys a "room" it can be as small as a one tiny room or as large as an SL Sim. You immediately have access to the room and can invite friends in without needing land like SL. The standard user is allowed to publish 3 rooms to the public while still having private and friend access to any of the other rooms one has purchased. A VIP subscription allows you 10 public rooms/spaces.

The Inventory UI and the shopping venues are years ahead of SL in function and efficiency. It only takes minutes to create a brand new outfit in IMVU from existing inventory and even if one needs a new pair of shoes or hair, it only takes minutes to see a large selection of either you can try on with one click and purchase with another. Shopping there is incredibly easy for both selection, trying out and purchasing. No unboxing required.

If one gets the Access Pass, then one will have access to adult rated content and venues which the underage resident can neither see nor get to. The ones complaining about all the younger residents either are not AP themselves or don't know how to filter out rooms where they frequent.

Overall the IMVU viewer is much more user friendly but there are some downsides aside from the lack of physics/travelling modes. The adult content they have does not allow for the sort of animations we have here and even a stiffy male part is not allowed though there are some pretty large soft ones. That was the main reason I first came here in 2009 in spite of the IMVU avatars being better until about 2015 when SL surged ahead with their adoption of mesh. IMVU unfortunately is owned by a group who keep a pretty tight reign on adult content. The other downside seems to be that texture resolutions allowed in creation are less then SL and from that, the world in some ways does not look as polished as SL can be.

• Like 1

I couldn't walk around...just click from sitting spot to sitting spot...didn't feel real.

Of course anything can be a venue for creativity...and I did see that there with various rooms and environments.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I couldn't walk around...just click from sitting spot to sitting spot...didn't feel real.

Of course anything can be a venue for creativity...and I did see that there with various rooms and environments.

I mostly walk in SL to see my butt wiggle. Other then that I use teleport anyway so the poseballs in some ways are not much different for the norm in SL.

• Sad 1

O.o what no heart ons!

26 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Overall the IMVU viewer is much more user friendly but there are some downsides aside from the lack of physics/travelling modes. The adult content they have does not allow for the sort of animations we have here and even a stiffy male part is not allowed though there are some pretty large soft ones. That was the main reason I first came here in 2009 in spite of the IMVU avatars being better until about 2015 when SL surged ahead with their adoption of mesh. IMVU unfortunately is owned by a group who keep a pretty tight reign on adult content. The other downside seems to be that texture resolutions allowed in creation are less then SL and from that, the world in some ways does not look as polished as SL can be.

• Haha 1

I've never been in IMVU but I saw a TV commercial for it once. The whole world looked embarassingly bad - as in: a company, regardless of their actual product, should at least try to knock your socks off with the ad.

This ad basically held me down and forced additional socks onto me.

28 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

I've never been in IMVU but I saw a TV commercial for it once. The whole world looked embarassingly bad - as in: a company, regardless of their actual product, should at least try to knock your socks off with the ad.

This ad basically held me down and forced additional socks onto me.

At that point we can just stop reading right? SL looked embarrassingly bad too back when I joined in 2009 and had in fact worse avatars then IMVU at the time. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 95 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.