Is anyone else put off by hyper-white shops?

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well glory be!  I swear they changed the background color just a bit behind displays. I celebrated by purchasing an old-time bathroom set:

Jan 5 Nutmeg_001 Resize.png

Looks the same as I've always seen it. Perhaps your windlight is different?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

There's a difference between light and blinding bright white though :)

People who like women's hairstyles in SL will know the one where you can kiss your retinas goodbye. Not sure why they've done it, everyone complains about it and it really doesn't look good.

I use the flickr and usually look at the styles while they are at an event, which they end up at the events first all the time..

I avoid the store as much as possible.. I'll even check their MP first.. I hate going to that store.. hehehe

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Other than that, though, I haven't come across any store I'd avoid based on design/layout alone.

I don't think I have either, but as someone tangential to the field of interior and space design, there are certainly a few stores that are very poorly laid out.

I don't mind the large open space ones with nice straight rows of displays, the worst are the ones with little closed off rooms around every corner where you can't figure out the actual layout to wander around in, that includes the stores that think circular mazes are a neat pattern.

Oh, and the ones where there is no logical organization to the actual clothing types. A place like ISON that separates pants, tops, dresses into small but open and airy spaces rocks.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I don't think I have either, but as someone tangential to the field of interior and space design, there are certainly a few stores that are very poorly laid out.

I don't mind the large open space ones with nice straight rows of displays, the worst are the ones with little closed off rooms around every corner where you can't figure out the actual layout to wander around in, that includes the stores that think circular mazes are a neat pattern.

Oh, and the ones where there is no logical organization to the actual clothing types. A place like ISON that separates pants, tops, dresses into small but open and airy spaces rocks.

I derender the roof and alt-cam around the maze from above.  

I derender white walls, too.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

To be honest, I so very rarely ever pay attention to a store's layout. I park myself off to the side from wherever I land and alt-cam around the interior. Or, just Area Search whatever I'm looking for if I have a name (I do a lot of pre-shopping on Flickr).

Make your stores red orange purple or teal, have rainbows shooting from chimneys, park NPCs out front, toss chickens around the lawn, toss a massive water fountain in the lobby, it's all good. I'll barely notice it.

The only thing I ask is for the vendors to show me exactly what's for sale. Sometimes it's so hard to tell whether I'm looking at a skin or cosmetics or hair or eyes or what until I zoom waaay in to read the tiny text or hover to get the tooltip. Ack!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Or, just Area Search whatever I'm looking for

This is pro shopping and with giant stores is necessary. Like you I use MP as a catalog mostly and then go in world to check for discounts etc and Area Search to find it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

The only thing I ask is for the vendors to show me exactly what's for sale. Sometimes it's so hard to tell whether I'm looking at a skin or cosmetics or hair or eyes or what until I zoom waaay in to read the tiny text or hover to get the tooltip. Ack!

That is so common these days. People focus on taking a lovely photo for their ad and don't emphasise what it is they are selling. I look at the web galleries for the weekend sales and skip over any items pictured where it is hard to work out what is for sale, I am not going to teleport to the store to try to figure it out.

• Like 4

I generally don't care what layout the store uses either but what does bug me is when you are trying to cam around and there seems to be loads of invisible objects all around the store that capture and limit your ability to get to the part of the store you want to look at more closely.

• Like 1

I'm a cam shopper so anything that gets in the way of my cam is an annoyance. Anything that annoys me gets derendered.

So here is a pet peeve of mine. I use FS area search extensively. I love the ability in area search to zoom my camera to the object of my desire; unfortunately, there are times when the zoom feature is grayed out so can't be used. I've never figured out why this happens with some items at an event and not others.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I've never figured out why this happens with some items at an event and not others.  

It's the distance from your avatar to the object. If it's more than your draw distance setting - the zoom will be grayed out.

Edited by steeljane42
typos
  • Thanks 3

You'll all have to tell me what I am doing wrong with Area Search.. it never really works for me.  It doesn't actually find what I'm looking for until I cam all around get to within a close range of the item anyway - by which point I see the vendor/pic rez, making the whole point of doing the Area Search pointless O.o

15 minutes ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

You'll all have to tell me what I am doing wrong with Area Search.. it never really works for me.  It doesn't actually find what I'm looking for until I cam all around get to within a close range of the item anyway - by which point I see the vendor/pic rez, making the whole point of doing the Area Search pointless O.o

As @steeljane42said, it's tied to draw distance and field of view.  If it's not within the cone of view shown on your minimap, it won't show in Area search.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/5/2024 at 1:19 PM, AmeliaJ08 said:

There's a difference between light and blinding bright white though :)

People who like women's hairstyles in SL will know the one where you can kiss your retinas goodbye. Not sure why they've done it, everyone complains about it and it really doesn't look good.

There are others, but that store in particular is one of the worst offenders when it comes to blinding their customers, lol. First example that came to mind when I read this thread. It'd be a huge improvement if they turned off the Full Bright. At least that way those of us who don't have good eyesight could shop there in peace using EEP/environment settings. 

I doubt it'll happen, but it would be nice if it did.

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Clem Marques said:

There are others, but that store in particular is one of the worst offenders when it comes to blinding their customers, lol. First example that came to mind when I read this thread. It'd be a huge improvement if they turned off the Full Bright. At least that way those of us who don't have good eyesight could shop there in peace using EEP/environment settings. 

I doubt it'll happen, but it would be nice if it did.

I don't shop there anymore, but when I used to I derendered all the danged white in the store. Annoying AF.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this has hit FIrestorm but the latest versions of the Linden viewer have changed where everything is a lot brighter now. Anything light colored in the environment will be too bright to look at unless the ambient light is set to a darker setting than in the past. If objects are set to full bright they will be difficult to see even in a fully dark environment. 

39 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I don't know if this has hit FIrestorm but the latest versions of the Linden viewer have changed where everything is a lot brighter now. Anything light colored in the environment will be too bright to look at unless the ambient light is set to a darker setting than in the past. If objects are set to full bright they will be difficult to see even in a fully dark environment. 

That would be PBR. It's increased contrast generally, so dark is darker and light is washed out.

A number of EEPs now look pretty awful as a result. It's one reason why LL produced a new version of "Midday," just for PBR.

On 1/2/2024 at 11:31 PM, Anna Nova said:

One in particular is what I call a 'hyper-white' location, very similar to the one used by a popular mesh body seller.  I really can't stand them, because my eyesight isn't so great, and I just thought I might see if I was alone in this (in which case, no issues), or others have the same difficulties - and hence, shop-keepers, you are loosing business.

Yes.

The older I get the more I like to have my PC set to 'dark mode'.

White text on a black background is easier on the eyes than black text on a white background.

The same holds true for the general UI. And for a venue likewise.

Too dark is bad as well though.

For venues in SL I like more natural or earthy color tones. Give me lots of tan, brown, forest green, etc and I'm happy. I can tolerate other schemes also as long as they're not overly-bright.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.