Is anyone else put off by hyper-white shops?

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Following links from the LaraX threads here, I went to a few 'new for me' shops looking for LaraX Petite clothes.  One in particular is what I call a 'hyper-white' location, very similar to the one used by a popular mesh body seller.  I really can't stand them, because my eyesight isn't so great, and I just thought I might see if I was alone in this (in which case, no issues), or others have the same difficulties - and hence, shop-keepers, you are loosing business.

I ought to add that I find 'hyper-gloomy' locations almost as bad.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

That's another one a shop keeper can't win, I guess.
There are people who insist on light colors or no sales, there are the ones who insist on dark colors or they go elsewhere with their business, there are the ones who refuse to shop when it isn't all pink.
All personal preferences can never be met at the same time.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I personally don't care too much, although some stores and events are definitely not taking ease of shopping into consideration, and this includes those overly bright builds. I always have my own environment on and never (yes, really, never) check the local EEP, so that helps a bit in those cases I would imagine.

But what really puts me off is the lack of structure in vendors. It's fine if there's just a few items, but if the store was around for many years and there's a lot of stuff around, then at the very least sort out store from newest to oldest, or by "type", preferable both. It really is not fine to put really old stuff with sizes for the dead Slink and 1st generation of Belleza bodies next to the just released event items. Area search helps, if you know what you're looking for, but if not then it's an extra work to open flickr to find how something was/is named. And some of them often forget to post their ads on flickr too, which makes it even worse.

There are also some stores that insist on having some heavy visuals effects like particles and flashing ads (ones that keep blinking and swapping between a few images), which also makes shopping experience a pain. Or those creators that literally rezz every mesh model in various colors on the shelves, to the point where viewer just chokes on triangles and stuff starts to disappear.

To conclude I'd say that a lot of creators in SL really have no slighest idea about presenting their products and making it easier for people to shop. Reasons do vary from "really having no idea how to do it right" to just enjoying a particular style/look for their store themselves and going with it.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Eh, if it's too bright, I switch to Midnight lighting for a while and turn down my monitor's brightness. Because of this craziness, I usually leave my glow settings at 1.

On the opposite end, if it's too dark I'll use Midday (or Midday Legacy in a PBR viewer and turn up Exposure to at least 1.5).

• Like 2

No, you certainly aren't alone in that. That type of lighting in both worlds is unbearable. The blaringly bright white actually causes physical pain to my eyes and body due to my ME/CFS. I just teleport out when I encounter a store with that blaring color scheme.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

I really can't stand them, because my eyesight isn't so great

Same here. I have an eye condition and these white stores make my eyes/head hurt. I'll still shop there, but I won't stay long. Basically I get the sale item, take a quick glance around, and run.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Are the "hyper-white" shops helpfully showing you what things look like in "full light", or following an old theory on retail lighting (bright="more sales"), or just clueless?

I think it has to do more with the advertising trend towards minimalism. Clean lines, no clutter, basic geometric shapes, etc.

Remember a few years ago a lot of shops had a Shabby Chic aesthetic?  Or before that….grungy?

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I think it has to do more with the advertising trend towards minimalism. Clean lines, no clutter, basic geometric shapes, etc.

It does, and I also dislike art creations where the body is even minimalist, looking like a white blob with somewhat human attributes.

Just not my style.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Is there any reason why people who are bothered by this aren't just changing their EEP settings to something they are more comfortable with?  It seems to me that there is a very trivial fix but maybe I'm missing something.

That will often change the way the merchandise looks in major ways.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Twice the same shot ... one with a not too bright/white back ground, the other with a too bright/white back ground. See how much impact it has on the details and how dark your avatar looks which leads me to think that it's a trick to mask defaults.

Not To Bright 2_001.jpg

Not To Bright 3_001.jpg

When I've come across an issue like the one in your second picture it's been because the windlight was set to default and it was actually midnight but because the environment was so bright I was not aware of the "time of day". I simply set it to midday and my avatar looked normally lit up.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

When I've come across an issue like the one in your second picture it's been because the windlight was set to default and it was actually midnight but because the environment was so bright I was not aware of the "time of day". I simply set it to midday and my avatar looked normally lit up.

Yeah, problem is, I simply don't switch from one Windlight/EEP to another whenever I drop in a store or event. I am using the one because it's giving the sharpest details of my avatar and gear. Sad that bright/white surroundings are killing that aspect of the experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

The merchandise will look different than it does in the store once you buy it and take it away anyway.  I really doubt the merchandise is meant to be viewed "at it's best" under the store conditions described in this topic.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

The merchandise will look different than it does in the store once you buy it and take it away anyway.  I really doubt the merchandise is meant to be viewed "at it's best" under the store conditions described in this topic.

I like to see how it looks under average conditions as a kind of baseline.  Some of the environmental settings will do super strange stuff to items...especially to nature ones...adding strange shadows, especially on the planes plants are created from (even the smaller planes used on plants these days)...and they give a strange glow effect to water. And often people will have a different environmental setting from the one I'd choose.

In my own shop I try to keep an average setting too...like noon and nothing too atmospheric. I don't like noon settings particularly (hard on my eyes and makes skin blotchy) but many use this as a quick setting for shopping as sunrise/sunset/midnight is too dark -- they want to see what they're buying. Thy also don't appreciate any misty-type atmospheric effects so common in many environmental settings.

It's a pain...because I want an environmental setting suited to my park below the store...but it does strange things to my store stuff.  I may need to move my store waaaaay high where supposedly I can apply it's own environmental setting.  It's too close to the ground atm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Yeah, problem is, I simply don't switch from one Windlight/EEP to another whenever I drop in a store or event. I am using the one because it's giving the sharpest details of my avatar and gear. Sad that bright/white surroundings are killing that aspect of the experience.

So are you using a particular windlight you have chosen? If so, then might it be that the problem is more the windlight you've chosen because it doesn't work with light surroundings? Since it's highly unlikely any shop is going to change their esthetic based on your windlight, it might be more worthwhile to find a windlight that works in bright surroundings and save it to your favorite graphic settings. I'm constantly switching between my saved graphic settings. Because that I can control.

10 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

So true! It's another reason I don't demo clothing anywhere but at home for the most part. Only time I actually demo something on site is if it's one of my fav creators and I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it regardless. I just do a quick try on to be sure the fit is good. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I like to see how it looks under average conditions as a kind of baseline.

The conditions that this topic is taking issue with are not baseline conditions, they an extreme form of white out.  So changing EEPs under these circumstances will lose nothing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I like to see how it looks under average conditions as a kind of baseline.

The conditions that this topic is taking issue with are not baseline conditions, they an extreme form of white out.  So changing EEPs under these circumstances will lose nothing.

We need to differentiate between a white-out caused by the construction of a background display (like in the Nutmeg store whose buildings and displays are all white) vs a white-out caused by an EEP setting.  The solutions for these 2 problems will be different.

btw...I love Nutmeg stuff so no intention of naming and shaming here...it's of the highest quality.  I just wish they'd tint the buildings/background to something other than white.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

We need to differentiate between a white-out caused by the construction of a background display (like in the Nutmeg store whose buildings and displays are all white) vs a white-out caused by an EEP setting.  The solutions for these 2 problems will be different.

In the OP it was described as "hyper-white" and there were references to a mesh body creator's store whose store fitted that description.

I don't know if you've seen that store but I have and it's definitely a white-out.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:
7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

In the OP it was described as "hyper-white" and there were references to a mesh body creator's store whose store fitted that description.

I don't know if you've seen that store but I have and it's definitely a white-out.

Dorientje is speaking to background/foreground issues.....so again...in this discussion (if solutions are to be found) we need to consider both.

The store you've seen...what is making it "hyper-white"....the construction of the store itself or the EEP setting?

I judge stores by a lot of factors. That mesh body store is annoying, so it makes sense that I found their product annoying and shoved it in my proverbial SL closet.  I too do not like stores that are blindingly white in all aspects. I've left some because they gave me migraines.   I can't see (literally) any benefit a store could have to just being pure white all over. 

I also judge stores on their vendor ads.  I've found that stores that use tremendously cluttered backgrounds in their vendor photos are trying to cover something up (like poor quality).  A lot of stores seem to think using a different cluttered background in every single vendor ad is somehow cool. Hint: It's not. Pick a consistent style and stick to it. The fewer background distractions, the better.  

Stores that have hundreds/thousands of items with no consistent organizational system rarely get my money either.  Put your new stuff up front and organize the rest by category. It's not that hard!   Or even better, curate your offerings and purge the older stuff or send it to Marketplace so that everything in the store is relatively recent and up to current standards.   /end derail

Edited by Lysistrata Szapira
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Dorientje is speaking to background/foreground issues.....so again...in this discussion (if solutions are to be found) we need to consider both.

The store you've seen...what is making it "hyper-white"....the construction of the store itself or the EEP setting?

I can see where this is going and I'm not going to play.  You are making it seem far more complicated than it needs to be.

If the environment is far too bright for someone's eyes then changing their EEP to something more comfortable is the answer, end of story.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.