Is anyone else put off by hyper-white shops?

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:
10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Dorientje is speaking to background/foreground issues.....so again...in this discussion (if solutions are to be found) we need to consider both.

The store you've seen...what is making it "hyper-white"....the construction of the store itself or the EEP setting?

I can see where this is going and I'm not going to play.  You are making it seem far more complicated that it needs to be.

If the environment is far too bright for someone's eyes then changing their EEP to something more comfortable is the answer, end of story.

I don't 'play' on the forum unless I'm just being silly.  I don't like to be accused of it.  This conversation is over.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I don't 'play' on the forum unless I'm just being silly.  I don't like to be accused of it.  This conversation is over.

As you both dragged me into the convo ... pictures were made in a booth, with the same backdrop on top, sides and floor to reflect how I experience overly bright/white stores against stores that are darker or where the brightness/whitness is broken by darker tones. EEP/Windlight used is the Nams Optimale Skin & Prim, which I use to make my shapes as this gives me the best details during the process.

Edited by Dorientje Woller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Figure of speaking, d'uh, don't take everything personal.

It wasn't obvious to me at all why you wrote it.  It wasn't taken personally nor do I take everything personally.  My post just set out the facts of the matter, nothing more.

15 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

One in particular is what I call a 'hyper-white' location, very similar to the one used by a popular mesh body seller.  I really can't stand them, because my eyesight isn't so great, and I just thought I might see if I was alone in this (in which case, no issues), or others have the same difficulties - and hence, shop-keepers, you are loosing business.

I thought I was the only one who can't stand those shops! You are definitely not alone in this.

I struggle with light sensitivity in RL and use the "Midnight" environment setting most of the time to keep things comfortable. When I go to one of those 'hyper-white' locations it feels like I have been flash-banged! So unpleasant, especially when everything is Full Bright, because then there is nothing I can do. I often buy what I need and leave ASAP when a store is like that, squinting my way through the whole unpleasant shopping experience. They definitely lose sales by causing accessibility issues to a portion of their customer base.

The argument can be made that most people won't have any problems with this, and that store owners can do whatever they want. However, I think that this is something worth considering.

27 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

If the environment is far too bright for someone's eyes then changing their EEP to something more comfortable is the answer, end of story.

Changing the EEP does nothing if the whole building and the objects in a store are set to Full Bright. Happens more often than expected, unfortunately.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Clem Marques said:

Changing the EEP does nothing if the whole building and the objects in a store are set to Full Bright. Happens more often than expected, unfortunately.

OK fair enough, I didn't realise that it was all set to Full Bright which is really dumb.  In that case there isn't any solution I know of except wireframe.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Most places I can EEP my way out of it.. But ya if I can't, I'll go somewhere else.. My eyes blur up and I'm seeing double in no time after that and then, I'm done for the day from brightness..

It's not worth it if I can't adjust it out..

• Like 4

There are lots and lots of shops that use white as their base color, but not that many who have actually set the entire shop's inside plus vendors to full-bright. The one shop that many have used as an example not only full-brights all surfaces but also adds some glow as far as I can tell. Added to the uncomfortable experience is that the shop is small and circular which also disorients the viewer. As a contrast to that atmosphere is how Nutmeg's shop uses white, which I absolutely love . To me it is anything but too light. It's perfect. The background is just that a background. It does not conflict with any of the furniture when rezzed. Another shop that uses white very effectively is Lelutka. I really enjoy that shop. There is a hair shop that uses white extensively, and while it might be a bit disorienting it's not visually assaulting. I like their shop as well. 

I think the biggest problem with shops that use a bright white is if they've not also set an EEP that works well with all the white. For instance, if they don't set an EEP and just depend on the default day cycle windlight shoppers may end up in the shop when it's midnight, which leaves everything that's not set to full-bright including the shopper in full shadow. If the shopper has set a personal EEP for themself and that EEP doesn't play nice with bight white then it's on the shopper as it's their choice to use their preferred EEP.

And all of this can be negated by finding a personal EEP that works well in those conditions. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 3

Since there really is no baseline or "usual" EEP setting, the only time I use region settings is when going to specific places for photos as those places have spent time (not always but often) in choosing lighting to set a mood.

Any other time, I use my own personal settings.  One neutral light and one neutral darker.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

Perhaps it is a conscious choice by the designer of the store space.  Wasn't it McDonald's or Dunkin' Donuts that chose colors for their stores that most people hated and didn't want to be seated in for long?  Studies showed people spent less time chatting and hanging out if their environment was obnoxious.  So people would buy their food, eat quickly, and leave making room for more customers. 

So, maybe they just choose the most obnoxious and brightest colors to encourage people to get what they came for and get the hell out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personally, I don't give a damn what a store looks like as long as it - A. looks like the owner at least made an attempt to make it look like a storefront and B. isn't attempting to either flashbang me like I'm playing Ready or Not, or having me trip over ***** in the dark.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Kylie Jaxxon said:

I actually feel a little nauseous when I go there, lol

The first time I went there my initial reaction was WTH! were they thinking?  Not a huge fan of heights so it gave me a sense of vertigo which was disturbing.  I learned to.quickly lock my cam onto the first vendor and never ever zoom.out so I avoid seeing the floor.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

i like my personal lightning, and when a shop is a horrible experience, the end of story is the seller looses one or more sales and a customer.

• Like 4

Has anyone actually thought of maybe contacting the owners of these stores and just giving a suggestion?  Sure, they might decide 10 lost sales isn't important but if all you do is complain on the forum how will they even know it's an issue?

Edited by Sam Bellisserian
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kylie Jaxxon said:

Get your mind out of the gutter :P 

jk, I thought the same :)

Because, SL is mostly "light-skinned avatars". My opinion!  (I've had to ask before, and seen other ask, about good brands for darker skins.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Because, SL is mostly "light-skinned avatars". My opinion!  (I've had to ask before, and seen other ask, about good brands for darker skins.)

Well, so I guess I'm hyper-white.  Seriously, it never crossed my mind.  Racism is stupid.  What the <expletive deleted> has the amount of pigment, mainly melanin, in your skin got to do with anything?  I am very disappointed in those of you who thought that, and even more disappointed that you thought it of me.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

I must learn more about EEP, eeek!

Okay, so I went back to the worst store, and tried everything in the EEP category.  It's still hyper-white, and I still didn't manage to bring myself to stay long enough to buy anything.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.