Is anyone else put off by hyper-white shops?

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Anna Nova said:

Okay, so I went back to the worst store, and tried everything in the EEP category.  It's still hyper-white, and I still didn't manage to bring myself to stay long enough to buy anything.

When you say it's hyper-white do you mean the walls, floors, and displays behind the merchandise?

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

When you say it's hyper-white do you mean the walls, floors, and displays behind the merchandise?

Yes, and that is how I interpret the OP and the title of this topic, and nothing else. But why not talk about how stores can maintain a level of brightness/whiteness that is pleasant for the eyes, and where people don't have to juggle with their EEP settings when they enter it.

Edited by Dorientje Woller
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:
10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes, and that is how I interpret the OP and the title of this topic, and nothing else. But why not talk about how stores can maintain a level of brightness/whiteness that is pleasant for the eyes, and where people don't have to juggle with their EEP settings when they enter it.

Others are interpreting this hyper-white problem as an EEP setting, a white atmosphere that permeates everything. Personally, I have not encountered a misty type EEP setting when shopping for clothes, but I have when shopping for garden items.

Apparently, some are not bothered by the stores that are textured white on walls, floor, and background display. And as Blush pointed out, it's actually a style they like.  It bothers me because I have an eye condition, and I would not expect stores to cater to me and the few people like me.   The EEP settings, however, are something I think stores should change if they're bothersome to a lot of customers.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Anna Nova said:

Well, so I guess I'm hyper-white.  Seriously, it never crossed my mind.  Racism is stupid.  What the <expletive deleted> has the amount of pigment, mainly melanin, in your skin got to do with anything?  I am very disappointed in those of you who thought that, and even more disappointed that you thought it of me.

I did not think it of YOU (since when the thread shows up in my "Unread"/"News Feed" I don't focus on "whose thread it is"), I just thought - honestly - that it could also be a valid thread topic.  No judgement was intended.

In case somehow you misunderstood, here's a theoretical context:  Person goes shopping, and does not find many skins for people of color. Thus, "SL So White" / "Stores are Hyper-White", like "#OscarsSoWhite", etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It sounds like the OP; like myself, white gives off a glare that hurts their real-life eyes (it is an actual thing) and they find it very hard to see visually on white.  My opticians listened to me on this, how much of a struggle for day to day it is for me (one of the reasons why I write in blue so I can see easier even with glasses on) and helped me get better glasses in life to counteract this and help my other eyesight issues.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

That's why I use a wind light I like and keep walking around with it wherever I go to shop. Except for photogenic places.

But sometimes there are shops or shopping events I can't stand. When everything is blue or pink or white, hurts my eyes. But we don't have to go there so 🤷🏻‍♀️☺️

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In case somehow you misunderstood, here's a theoretical context:  Person goes shopping, and does not find many skins for people of color. Thus, "SL So White" / "Stores are Hyper-White", like "#OscarsSoWhite", etc

Yes, there is more inclusiveness for people of color in stores and advertising,  but we're still not where we need to be. I, too, when seeing the words 'hyper-white' first wondered if it might be related to these societal issues.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Sabrina Nebula said:

But we don't have to go there so 🤷🏻‍♀️☺️

lol but...but...I love the photo-realism of Nutmeg items -- quite remarkable.  I even bought this cozy chair/book setup because it was so beautiful, and now wonder where in the world it would go in my park (a rain forest)  ha   Perhaps I'll find a place for it in my Linden home.

• Like 2

Since a certain store was mentioned earlier, I went and tried different EEP settings there and it does make a significant difference in ease of viewing.

Region EEP setting...

4fb18d7962bcf7572147dff09a2fc75c.thumb.jpg.f6b445c540c11a90ec50316f67276562.jpg

Studio 6 EEP...

e1e8770337a8b1884b4673ecba0dff4f.thumb.png.3a13b0a94a56baac8c0e34f5dcd30bc7.png

Studio Light...

dfaa6c8c6744e11a61856f2a8ae24ca6.thumb.png.5c2fd0899b821e291774569db9c837c8.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Since a certain store was mentioned earlier, I went and tried different EEP settings there and it does make a significant difference in ease of viewing.

Region EEP setting...

Studio 6 EEP...

Studio Light...

ACK   My EYESSSSSSS !!!   lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Region EEP setting...

Studio 6 EEP...

Studio Light...

I don't consider Nutmeg as 'hyper-white."  There's no shine or anything that stands out to me, except highlighting the decor more....love Nutmeg :)

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes, there is more inclusiveness for people of color in stores and advertising,  but we're still not where we need to be. I, too, when seeing the words 'hyper-white' first wondered if it might be related to these societal issues.

I think that being my first thought is because stories of racism, etc is all over the news, every single day, sadly :(  So my thought process is this first.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Region EEP setting...

Studio 6 EEP...

Studio Light...

Also, are you using the Firestorm PBR viewer by any chance? 

There would probably be a difference in what you see between a pbr viewer and a non-pbr viewer.

2 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Also, are you using the Firestorm PBR viewer by any chance? 

There would probably be a difference in what you see between a pbr viewer and a non-pbr viewer.

For those pictures, no.  I do find that PBR does run darker for most places.  At least, that's been my experience so far.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Region EEP setting...

Studio 6 EEP...

Studio Light...

Thank you very much for posting this :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

For you, Roman.  But you don't have my eyes. No matter which EEP I use the whiteness bothers me, and some others.

Please allow me to have my own eyeballs.  Thank you...    :)

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Thank you very much for posting this :)

Yes, a simple change can make a difference.  That there is an easy option for some is great.  I never found that store to be an issue for me but that one big hair store?  I put my shades on for that one.  🕶. And a hat.  👒

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Region EEP setting...

Studio 6 EEP...

Studio Light...

Care to try that at Yasum?

On 1/3/2024 at 5:52 PM, Rowan Amore said:

The event with the see thru floor and the cars driving underneath?  Hate that one.

If it's the event I'm thinking of, I thought they were going for a Tron vibe.

As for lighting issue, I often just change my personal environment/ lighting by changing to the medium gray tone, rather than actually changing the environment.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 4

On 1/3/2024 at 6:44 PM, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Perhaps it is a conscious choice by the designer of the store space.  Wasn't it McDonald's or Dunkin' Donuts that chose colors for their stores that most people hated and didn't want to be seated in for long?  Studies showed people spent less time chatting and hanging out if their environment was obnoxious.  So people would buy their food, eat quickly, and leave making room for more customers. 

So, maybe they just choose the most obnoxious and brightest colors to encourage people to get what they came for and get the hell out.

The ones that have it where you can't EEP out.. They got the , Get the hell out of there part right, at least.. hehehe

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2024 at 9:40 AM, Sid Nagy said:

That's another one a shop keeper can't win, I guess.
There are people who insist on light colors or no sales, there are the ones who insist on dark colors or they go elsewhere with their business, there are the ones who refuse to shop when it isn't all pink.
All personal preferences can never be met at the same time.

There's a difference between light and blinding bright white though :)

People who like women's hairstyles in SL will know the one where you can kiss your retinas goodbye. Not sure why they've done it, everyone complains about it and it really doesn't look good.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

The thing I picked up from this thread so far:

People don't come to your store because they enjoy the way it is build, but it can be a reason to avoid it.
So the best thing to do seems to build a middle of the road store with a 13 in a dozen layout, with logically placed merchandise.

Since I have vague plans to open an inworld shop again in the future, I'll keep that in mind if it ever comes to that again.
It could save me a lot of work then.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

The thing I picked up from this thread so far:

People don't come to your store because they enjoy the way it is build, but it can be a reason to avoid it.
So the best thing to do seems to build a middle of the road store with a 13 in a dozen layout, with logically placed merchandise.

Since I have vague plans to open an inworld shop again in the future, I'll keep that in mind if it ever comes to that again.
It could save me a lot of work then.

It's always a dilemma when creating a store -- how much of an actual design do we put in to the layout. Shoppers are actually affected by the quality of your store layout.  When a store is beautiful people tend to buy more. And especially in home and garden, showing the item within a beautiful setting in the store can affect sales.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

People who like women's hairstyles in SL will know the one where you can kiss your retinas goodbye. Not sure why they've done it, everyone complains about it and it really doesn't look good.

I don't shop there at all for a few reasons, but that's definitely one of them.

Other than that, though, I haven't come across any store I'd avoid based on design/layout alone.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.