Kickin' it old skool (show off your vintage finery!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 7/30/2023 at 8:40 AM, Stephanie Misfit said:

Well, I still have loads of old stuff in my inventory, so this thread is right up my alley. I have chosen designers who are still active today, to show that they have always been talented.

• Tres Blah Sequin Dress, this is soooo well textured.
  • LAQ HB Updo (worn with an EvoX hairbase)
  • Zaara earrings and cuff

Snapshot_062.jpg

I keep looking at this dress, it's so cool. I want to find a modern version like it!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Please tell me I said nice things! It's a lovely shot, especially for someone only 2 weeks in!

And yes, your photos have improved! (As have mine, thank god.)

You did. :)

I took the the shot at a Japanese themed area (I think it was), and you mentioned me not looking well lit. It was a night time scene. Knew nothing about facelights at that point, so I was loosely referencing my RL street shooting skills at the time.

Thanks. ^_^

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

I used to love this flexi hair, and Secret Passions Royal outfit?

web_5f207d46d9859c1addc29abb.jpg

I was rocking the flexi hair for most of my first year or so in Second Life (around 2015) — alas, I can't remember the name of the store I bought them from, it's most likely gone as are those hairpieces from my inventory.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spiffy Voxel said:

I was rocking the flexi hair for most of my first year or so in Second Life (around 2015) — alas, I can't remember the name of the store I bought them from, it's most likely gone as are those hairpieces from my inventory.

That hair was from Detour (Keri Clip) from 2009.

and outfit from Secret Passions Samy Firehawk from 2011. I loved their outfits when I joined.

Edited after checking make of hair. 

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I keep looking at this dress, it's so cool. I want to find a modern version like it!

Yes and yes. I could imagine how amazing it'd look when PBR materials goes live. (Has it gone live yet?)

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 2

I love this thread - I always feel really nostalgic about my early SL days. Here are some pics of my original avatar back in 2006 and first (and only) sculpty sofa I made around 10 years ago, with my current avatar.

The photos were taken at Svarga and The Cloud Chateau at Hina.

Cloud Chateau.png

Midnight_Reflections_2006.png

Bluebell field2006.png

Sculpty_sofa.png

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

Things evolved so fast from 2007, when I took my first picture a week old. Notice the default stand, hah.

Newbie Marianne

To 2008, only 11 months later.

Wastelands

And add on five more months, still 2008.

Wine Wings

Just one year.

I too felt like I made more progress in that first year than in all the rest of my time in Second Life, but you've always been extra good at putting your avatar together. Even in that early one you had good hair for the time. What year did animation overriders come in anyway?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

I too felt like I made more progress in that first year than in all the rest of my time in Second Life, but you've always been extra good at putting your avatar together. Even in that early one you had good hair for the time. What year did animation overriders come in anyway?

I think "Sexywalk" was my only change from the default animations the first years....?

The only AO I remember some years back in time is Oracul "Pure Lady". I looked up the Marketplace ad, and the first written review is from 2009, so maybe Oracul was my first AO.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

It's interesting to me to see these since I wasn't around in these days, I'm 2017 intake! I did have an account from 2008 but I logged into it once, didn't really get it and only recently even recovered it!

What I do notice is that SL fashions back in the pre-mesh days definitely trended in more limited ways, lots of leather! I guess limitations explain some of this but it does seem like the community seemed a bit more 'alt' in general based on what I see from those days.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

It's interesting to me to see these since I wasn't around in these days, I'm 2017 intake! I did have an account from 2008 but I logged into it once, didn't really get it and only recently even recovered it!

What I do notice is that SL fashions back in the pre-mesh days definitely trended in more limited ways, lots of leather! I guess limitations explain some of this but it does seem like the community seemed a bit more 'alt' in general based on what I see from those days.

Not really.. It was still very much blog related and word of mouth and a much more active in world and forums.. In my opinion We had a much wider variety of stores across the board and options of what to wear.. Things were not limited to certain bodies so you didn't get trapped by trends like when new bodies come out nowadays..

Before mesh came along we had sculpties which were the next best thing at the time that improved very much over prime wear.. Really there was lots more of everything back before mesh.. Things really felt much more limited in many ways when mesh came along..

ETA: I probably should add some pics from back then.. I don't think I have any raw images  other than what's in my inventory..

I have a few things that were before mesh that I really liked a lot back then..

This outfit was from Yasum, before mesh and made from sculpties.. I think it's from around 2011 I think..

We might have had standard or mesh objects at this time.. My hands might be mesh, I really can't remember.. hehehe

I remember having to wear 9 sets of hands just to have different hand poses at the time.. hehehe  My Arc had to be so sky high back then..lol

Ceka Unplugged

I think this was mostly all prim and system clothes, well other than the hands still.. it's so long ago that I can't remember hehehe

GunSlinger Gurl

This was 2008 when Windlight first came around in a sim that me and another person were making at the time that  was a club plus mystical fantasy island that you could explore with caves and forests and  secret paths to get around  it..We ended up naming Timeless..

It was short lived to maybe about a month after we opened and I pretty much never did a collaboration with anyone again after that, Ever again.. lol

ceka10

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 8

My scene queen Husky was one of my favorites back in 2010-2011. The sculptie prim head, the Truth flexi hair. Can you get over it? I cannot. The top is from Gawk, who are still going strong. I'd love to know where DERP, where my digi-leg skinny jeans came from, went though. Their furry clothes and avatars were EVERYTHING. Get into all this, LOL.

HVdKO3s.png

• Like 10

On 7/31/2023 at 11:47 AM, Chic Aeon said:

This was fun. Since I clean my inventory OFTEN and still have less than 70K after sixteen years including all my store and art stuff and LOTS of backups of backups --- I can't do completely "vintage" but everything here is a decade or more old.    OK  NOT my body LOL.  So not going there. 

image.thumb.png.33031881b889c5b0b76edd03d83f9516.png

I love the hair.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

First thing I did in SL was to go into Edit Appearance and move all the sliders to one side, because, in a virtual world, surely, people do not judge one another by the cover.

image.jpeg.c56b2f1783935afacf5c3e9269cd4cae.jpeg

Me ( on the left) with my homies in Calleta, AD 2007

image.jpeg.3e9ee4e91aab4da0ccb7050a2ff75f8e.jpeg

Me (middle), desperately wanting to look like my SL avatar

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Old me, arrested by the SL Police in 2007

MugShotDorientjeWoller-001.png

Gotta love the time when the average height was nearly 7 feet.  😅

2 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

First thing I did in SL was to go into Edit Appearance and move all the sliders to one side, because, in a virtual world, surely, people do not judge one another by the cover.

image.jpeg.c56b2f1783935afacf5c3e9269cd4cae.jpeg

Me ( on the left) with my homies in Calleta, AD 2007

image.jpeg.3e9ee4e91aab4da0ccb7050a2ff75f8e.jpeg

Me (middle), desperately wanting to look like my SL avatar

The robe, fez, and cigar.. yep, you totally nailed it.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.