LaraX?

Rowan Amore

Maitreya weren't going to hang on to their current market share if they didn't update at some point. They have to put something new out in order to remain relevant, and since people have been whining about the shoulders forever that seems an obvious fix. It's not like 5.3 is going to vanish overnight from anyone's inventory, the minority who need to buy brand new clothing every week switched to Legacy years ago, and anyone stomping their feet about possible discontinuation of support for an eight-year-old mesh needs to give their Catwa head a wobble.

(I also would have expected a new UV map, but judging by what happened to Slink there's no real enthusiasm for the idea among skin creators so it would have been a waste of time. I also personally prefer having Petite as an add-on as it makes it easier to switch between standard and petite fits, but, like I said, nobody's removing my current setup so it's fine.)

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Violet Vanilla said:

You could argue you could switch between the bodies, but this both a major inventory management nightmare but also you can't mix and match things. Most outfits I get are that, just a dress or something, they don't include stockings/socks/shoes/other accessories. So for example if I buy a new Lara X dress which does not fit the current Lara but all my socks and things are for the current Lara, then it simply won't work at all.

This is a good point. I tend to mix clothing from different stores already, and this is enough work trying to get tops, bottoms and shoes to fit together. What a nightmare it would be to try to fit items for different bodies together!

I plan to try wearing Lara X with Lara clothing when it comes out. I'll find out for myself if the result is worth the trouble or not. (I still have plenty of Freya clothing if it isn't.)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Honestly, the ones I see myself, that have pulled Maitreya from their list, Really isn't the ones I was shopping at before anyways.. There is really good creators that have more room on their plate , that I hope just add this newer  version..

Same. None of the places I shop regularly have quit rigging for Maitreya. In fact, some of them never started rigging anything else. I don't know if they'll move ahead with X or not, but no biggie either way. I don't need to wear X on a daily basis. I've been happy enough with Lara all this time. The new body would be nice to use for posing/photography, but I can always build up a new wardrobe over time for that.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Same. None of the places I shop regularly have quit rigging for Maitreya. In fact, some of them never started rigging anything else. I don't know if they'll move ahead with X or not, but no biggie either way. I don't need to wear X on a daily basis. I've been happy enough with Lara all this time. The new body would be nice to use for posing/photography, but I can always build up a new wardrobe over time for that.

Ya, I've been happy with what I can do with the current body with deformer huds for things that give even more room..

For me, the other bodies I have , have some features I like.. But for the most part, the all around feel I have with my Maitreya body has been something hard to replace..

I hope the new changes or new body work out well in the long run and do just as well over time.. I'm always looking for a better bread box. I do hope one comes along and would like to see it in this new version.. But I think the body I wear most now  is where my real niche is..

On one hand I like change, but at the same time hate it.. lol

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Who are most of us?  How can you be sure of that?

I have just one body - Lara and I've come across many others that have expressed the same over time.

I don't in any way think that Maitreya has ripped anyone off.  They have been brilliant.  In many ways they are a victim of people complaining about Lara over the years and "hinting" they'll drop the body, in conjunction with creators complaining the body is too hard to rig for.  A case of damned if you do and also if you don't.

It's fantastic that that the new body is being given away for free too.

However, it still doesn't mean that Maitreya hasn't made a misstep and we shouldn't be afraid to examine that possibility.  It's not negativity, it's just realism.  The fact is that the mesh body market is extremely fickle.

Maybe it will be an add-on to deform the X body so it can use older clothing. Haven't previous bodies done this? Or maybe a third party expert in rigging and skeleton will make deformers so clothes fit X. So many unknown things. This is me thinking loud, nothing is sure.

I can't say what is happening in the future, but I can compare it to how EvoX was recieved and how people said they could never part with all their makeup, skins and hairbases etc. I am sure somebody is still using Evo, but most has moved on to EvoX. In new releases, it is more and more EvoX only.

At least we are better off than Belleza, where the new body is very expensive and everything has to be bought for it, even shoes. Do loyal customers get a discount if they buy the new Belleza? They sure do not get it for free.

I am careful with money in SL now, with the RL cost for living going up. But I am still optimistic and not too worried about what I can wear with Lara or LaraX.  I do not need to use X. I am not worse off now, than if Lara did not change a thing.

I think more and more creators would drop Lara if it was no update, and the body die a slow death as Reborn and other bodies take over. 

I am a bit hopeful, if the X body is easy to rig for, that some creators will update, so we can get a redelivery. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I've never made any bones about the mesh body I prefer. Hands down it is Matreya Lara.  I've worn this body exclusively for 8 years now.  Over the course of those years, I have curated a massive amount of clothing that will see me through another 10 years in SL.  Every piece of clothing I purchase goes through a thorough thought process.  Will the style stand the test of time?  Can I incorporate the article of clothing with several different clothing pieces, as in pants, skirts, etc?  Are the textures of good quality?  Can I move/dance/sit in said clothing piece without the body showing through, or the clothing looking horrendous?  The clothing creators I frequent all pass muster.  Granted, after 8 years of being an avid shopper my habits have changed and I no longer spend as much, as I have so much.  Lara has been a joy for me to shop for, and if no one ever makes another article of clothing for Lara v5.3 I will be fine.  

I've never been one to embrace change that much, until recently when I switched from my Catwa Katya to Lelutka Avalon.  I think my remarks about switching went along the lines of prying my Katya from my cold, dead avatar's hands.  Laughs and laughs.  Never say never.  Not to say I was not sad about it, I was, but I am perfectly happy with my new look, and it's not so new, just subtle changes.  I'll blog about it at some point lol.

So Maitreya is coming out with an updated Lara, that will require all new clothing for the most part.  If it will be easier for creators to rig for then I say awesome!  She will have improved shoulders, armpits, and new junk for her trunk. Rings and shoes will still fit.  Heck yeah!!! Many loyal customers of Lara have been wanting this for a very long time.  Maybe the creators I frequent will rig for Lara X and drop Lara 5.3.  Maybe they won't rig for X and continue to rig for 5.3.  Maybe they will drop Lara altogether, or rig for both.  Maybe, just maybe they will update the clothing now in their stores with X.  All of this can happen.  Either way, I'm going to embrace this new body and give it a chance.  In the meantime, I can still wear my 5.3 and the obscene amount of clothing I have for her as well.   

All of the rumors and hissy fits are not gonna change anything.  This is going to happen.  You either accept it or don't.  I for one have read what has been released by Maitreya.  I'm not jumping ship.  All other mesh bodies pale in comparison to this mesh body.  Yes, strictly my opinion.  Isn't it a wonderful thing that here in Second Life we have so many choices?   YAY and S**t!

Edited by Cougar Sangria
grammar error
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Maybe it will be an add-on to deform the X body so it can use older clothing. Haven't previous bodies done this? Or maybe a third party expert in rigging and skeleton will make deformers so clothes fit X. So many unknown things. This is me thinking loud, nothing is sure.

I can't say what is happening in the future, but I can compare it to how EvoX was recieved and how people said they could never part with all their makeup, skins and hairbases etc. I am sure somebody is still using Evo, but most has moved on to EvoX. In new releases, it is more and more EvoX only.

At least we are better off than Belleza, where the new body is very expensive and everything has to be bought for it, even shoes. Do loyal customers get a discount if they buy the new Belleza? They sure do not get it for free.

I am careful with money in SL now, with the RL cost for living going up. But I am still optimistic and not too worried about what I can wear with Lara or LaraX.  I do not need to use X. I am not worse off now, than if Lara did not change a thing.

I think more and more creators would drop Lara if it was no update, and the body die a slow death as Reborn and other bodies take over. 

I am a bit hopeful, if the X body is easy to rig for, that some creators will update, so we can get a redelivery. 

I guess we will just have to wait and see.  Some of us are still on Evo rather than Evo X and I maintain that was the right choice for me.  I know that I am not alone in doing that either but yes, the majority just follow regardless.

The problem with disruption is that it has to be worth it to most people and this is definitely a disruption.  I get the feeling this is catering to a loud minority only.  The vast silent majority may not feel the same.  I don't feel the same.  Despite all the complaints about Lara, the things that bothered others, never bothered me one bit.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Lara X is not a Lara V5.3 "replacement". Lara X is an addition. The regular Lara isn't being withdrawn.

This is definitely how Maitreya sees it.  The creators may not see it the same way though and despite what Maitreya says now, may feel that there is no point supporting v5.3 going forward and there will be vocal pressure from the people who wanted the changes to support Lara X.  Many creators don't want anymore bodies that is needed to be able to sell a reasonable amount of clothing and so face a difficult choice.

I don't think the outcome is in anyway assured unfortunately.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Cougar Sangria said:

All of the rumors and hissy fits are not gonna change anything.  This is going to happen.  You either accept it or don't.

I'm not seeing hissy fits and I agree the rumours are not particularly helpful.  People expressing what they don't like is fine and part of normal discussion.  It would be terrible for creators should they end up in a an echo chamber where nobody disagreed with the direction they are going because at the end of the day, what motivates people or demotivates customers will affect their incomes and there is little they can do about that after the fact.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kylie Jaxxon said:

People complained about the same thing when mesh body was introduced, Bom, etc....somehow we all adapt :)

People complain about anything they don't like.  This is normal and in reality is feedback.

More generally, perhaps we should see it that way instead of negative characterisations of it.  After all, isn't negativity the thing that is being itself "complained" about?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If you look at Freya, it's numbers haven't really dropped from it's wearers that much.. I think Quality of wardrobe has a lot to do with that.. Today you really have to hunt for good quality textured items..

Total body users/numbers on the Lucia's list is a good thing to check every now and then, but sadly it has one major flaw - avatars that are not around anymore. So I do think those numbers for the obsolete bodies like Freya are pretty much those. Trending tab shows a better picture, and it's obvious that those older abandoned bodies like Slink's, old Belleza's (except Jake, because male's version of gen X is not out yet) are on decline. Kupra is about to hit decline with just ~350 new entries in the last 180 days, but their constant giveaways keep them away from that for the time being.

There's also a bonniebots site with a daily top attachment list, it also gives a good perspective on what is worn in-world these days. I believe Freya was around low 300s last time I checked. And likewise the Catya with has that massive number in the "total list" at Lucia's stats is slowly getting phased out of 100 for the daily seen attachments.

So, nope, it is, in fact, dropped already, and has been for quite a long time.

Edited by steeljane42

I could be extremely wrong on this, but I don't see creators sticking with 5.3 very long considering much of this update came about to address some of their workflow issues with the current mesh. If it's a successful enough rollout with minimal glitches/bugs/issues/what have you, and the body proves much easier to rig for, my big ole assumption is they'll adopt X over time and yeet the old devkit into orbit.

*Disclaimer - Yes, I'm 150% guessing, and if I'm wrong, feel free to come back to this post and tease me forever.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I could be extremely wrong on this, but I don't see creators sticking with 5.3 very long considering much of this update came about to address some of their workflow issues with the current mesh. If it's a successful enough rollout with minimal glitches/bugs/issues/what have you, and the body proves much easier to rig for, my big ole assumption is they'll adopt X over time and yeet the old devkit into orbit.

*Disclaimer - Yes, I'm 150% guessing, and if I'm wrong, feel free to come back to this post and tease me forever.

I'm pretty sure it'll be the case too. Now older Belleza's bodies support already wasn't great to begin with as their updates took forever, but the moment Gen X bodies were released it pretty much killed what was left of it. Not counting FP template creators that make 20-25 different sizes anyway (and "creators" who use those templates to retexture them and make some profits).

As already noted in this topic Lara was slowly being dropped by a number of creators as is, although most of them do focus on clothing styles that are very much Reborn/Legacy (and sometime Kupra) market to begin with, but still. Given this refresh and a very likely boost in the shopping interest for those Lara X users I can see more creators dropping original rigging instantly and picking up the X. For how long... time will tell, might be until hype dies now, might be a while longer.

That said I did ask a few smaller/mid sizes creators I know who have dropped Maitreya a while ago in favor of Legacy/Reborn only releases. The answers were the mix of "Wait and see." and "Do a test release or two if time allows." Then again none of them focus on the Maitreya market anymore, so it's not exactly a good indicator of the general trends.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Kylie Jaxxon said:

People complained about the same thing when mesh body was introduced, Bom, etc....somehow we all adapt :)

totally.

people seem to complain about everything and and everywhere. it's the most popular hobby .

Personally, I am super excited for Lara X and will fully support it. Going by the actual info from Maitreya and not the assumptions and specualtions allover, I think it's a great move and it was about time. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Salt Peppermint said:

totally.

people seem to complain about everything and and everywhere. it's the most popular hobby .

Personally, I am super excited for Lara X and will fully support it. Going by the actual info from Maitreya and not the assumptions and specualtions allover, I think it's a great move and it was about time. 

I'm glad I didn't drop Salt and Pepper for my mostly Freya avatar. I'll be looking forward to trying new clothes for Lara X.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

You make it sound as if we'd need a reason to tease. That's not how that works! 

• Haha 4

Well, this news has me and the girls worried.  All three of us use Lara, and all three of us have over 800 matching outfits when we go out dancing.  Now I know that we can just keep using the old body, but if it gets to the stage where the clothing creators that we use end up dropping Lara 5.3 and switch to LaraX then we will eventually be forced into LaraX as well.

The thought of having to slowly replace those 800+ outfits has me worried, some (a minority) of clothing shops will do a free update.  However, the vast majority of them will decide to cash in on the new body, release the SAME outfit with the new rig and expect people to buy it a second time.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Liandra Aries said:

decide to cash in on the new body, release the SAME outfit with the new rig and expect people to buy it a second time

Oh, I know a place that does that and they sell the rerelease for L$75. Then even though they went through the trouble of rerigging it for a new body they don't bother updating the fatpack you only bought because it had the extra cute patterns in it. Yeah, I don't buy stuff from them anymore.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Hunny Bunny said:

Oh, I know a place that does that and they sell the rerelease for L$75. Then even though they went through the trouble of rerigging it for a new body they don't bother updating the fatpack you only bought because it had the extra cute patterns in it. Yeah, I don't buy stuff from them anymore.

I've stopped shopping there, too.

One creator not only updates for new bodies in their regular singles and fatpacks but also in their FLF offers.  I just got a redelivery today for 2 items I purchased at FLF that had updates.  These were exclusive colors for FLF, too.  That's classy.

• Like 4

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

I've stopped shopping there, too.

One creator not only updates for new bodies in their regular singles and fatpacks but also in their FLF offers.  I just got a redelivery today for 2 items I purchased at FLF that had updates.  These were exclusive colors for FLF, too.  That's classy.

That's great! It's nice to know some individuals still uphold their integrity, while others, as they grow and explore other virtual worlds, may forget or overlook those who supported them on their journey.

• Like 2

From what I've been reading here in this thread, it doesn't sound to me like it will be an earth shattering change.  As both versions of the Lara body will be included in the upgrade package, for new clothes that might only come in the Lara X rigging, wear the Lara X body, and for existing 5.3 rigged clothes or outfits, wear the 5.3 version of the body.   I often switch between Slink Physique (Redux version), Prima Petite, Tonic Fine and Maitreya.  Besides having outfits saved which include the clothes and appropriate body, I also have a  "base" version of each body saved as an outfit, so switching to a different body is as easy as wearing a different outfit.

I also think that it will be awhile before new clothing for the Lara 5.3 version completely dries up, and there will still be an enormous amount of 5.3 version clothes available in stores and the MP.  

I've tried demos of some of the newer curvier bodies, and those aren't for me.  If the Lara X turns out to be too curvy for me, I'll just stay with the 5.3 version, and if I feel the need to purchase new clothes for it, I'll look for creators that still continue to rig for it.  Otherwise, I have a lot of existing clothes in my inventory that I can wear.  I'm not one who goes out and buys new clothes all the time at events, or only wears an outfit a couple of times. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MoiraKathleen said:

From what I've been reading here in this thread, it doesn't sound to me like it will be an earth shattering change.  As both versions of the Lara body will be included in the upgrade package, for new clothes that might only come in the Lara X rigging, wear the Lara X body, and for existing 5.3 rigged clothes or outfits, wear the 5.3 version of the body.   I often switch between Slink Physique (Redux version), Prima Petite, Tonic Fine and Maitreya.  Besides having outfits saved which include the clothes and appropriate body, I also have a  "base" version of each body saved as an outfit, so switching to a different body is as easy as wearing a different outfit.

I also think that it will be awhile before new clothing for the Lara 5.3 version completely dries up, and there will still be an enormous amount of 5.3 version clothes available in stores and the MP.  

I've tried demos of some of the newer curvier bodies, and those aren't for me.  If the Lara X turns out to be too curvy for me, I'll just stay with the 5.3 version, and if I feel the need to purchase new clothes for it, I'll look for creators that still continue to rig for it.  Otherwise, I have a lot of existing clothes in my inventory that I can wear.  I'm not one who goes out and buys new clothes all the time at events, or only wears an outfit a couple of times. 

I just hope that everyone now uses the LaraX branding or something similar to make it very clear that something is for the new version, there's potential for stuff to get very messy if they don't since it's unlikely more than a fraction of clothes will receive an update.

It's going to be a messy year or so I think, if there is some reason for people to stay on 5.3 then we might even see some releases with Lara 5.3 and Lara X fits in the same package...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Liandra Aries said:

Well, this news has me and the girls worried.  All three of us use Lara, and all three of us have over 800 matching outfits when we go out dancing.  Now I know that we can just keep using the old body, but if it gets to the stage where the clothing creators that we use end up dropping Lara 5.3 and switch to LaraX then we will eventually be forced into LaraX as well.

The thought of having to slowly replace those 800+ outfits has me worried, some (a minority) of clothing shops will do a free update.  However, the vast majority of them will decide to cash in on the new body, release the SAME outfit with the new rig and expect people to buy it a second time.

but you do not have to replace anything. both bodies will be in your redelivery folder. save your previous outfits with your Lara 5.3 and new ones with Lara X. it's literally one click to change the whole outfit including the body and everything else you have been wearing. This got a lot easier with Bom coming out, as those layers also just save with your outfit. 

So you totally can enjoy both and keep using your 800+ outfits as you are used to. They are not being taken away ❤️

• Like 18

It's an update. No one's taking away the 10,000+ items of clothing you already have if you're a Maitreya girl. Every store with a strong Maitreya line isn't suddenly going to pull all the 5.3 clothing; you'll be able to buy Maitreya 5.3 clothing for the next 5+ years still (you can still buy non-rigged clothes from 15 years ago for Bastet's sake). You get the Lara X for free, and keep your 5.3. Use that for the next 2 years while stores start rigging for Lara X.

Smoother and more realistic shoulders, easier to rig and create clothing for, and Petite built in? What's not to like? If this fails I'd be shocked.

panic-chicken-run.gif.c3861d1a9f9940cb6e4384aebeda6f67.gif

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1