LaraX?

Rowan Amore

10 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I just hope that everyone now uses the LaraX branding or something similar to make it very clear that something is for the new version, there's potential for stuff to get very messy if they don't since it's unlikely more than a fraction of clothes will receive an update.

It's going to be a messy year or so I think, if there is some reason for people to stay on 5.3 then we might even see some releases with Lara 5.3 and Lara X fits in the same package...

I'm expecting Blueberry to do that. They already have both Freya and GenX sizes in the same package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Salt Peppermint said:

but you do not have to replace anything. both bodies will be in your redelivery folder. save your previous outfits with your Lara 5.3 and new ones with Lara X. it's literally one click to change the whole outfit including the body and everything else you have been wearing. This got a lot easier with Bom coming out, as those layers also just save with your outfit. 

So you totally can enjoy both and keep using your 800+ outfits as you are used to. They are not being taken away ❤️

Even if you don't use outfits, Lara 5.3 and LaraX may use the same body shape. I don't know if they'll use the same HUD, but they could. It might be as simple as just switching out the body you're wearing to fit the clothes.

• Like 4

It's kinda funny all these posts from folks coming here to tell people what they already know as if that will address what concerns they have.  Some of which already stated in their posts that they know that nothing is being taken away and that they can always wear their old stuff and the responses are just the same and miss the point by a mile.

Nobody thinks that anyone is going to reach inside their inventory and remove their existing Lara v5.3 and their clothes for it, nobody.  Whether Maitreya releases an update or not, this is always true and known by everyone, everyone.  Let's stop with this strawman.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I must be the only one who doesn't do outfits.  I have one that only changes when I get a new skin which isn't that often.  I use the same base skin, addons, etc every single day.  That's the only outfit I have.  Is that weird?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

I must be the only one who doesn't do outfits.  I have one that only changes when I get a new skin which isn't that often.  I use the same base skin, addons, etc every single day.  That's the only outfit I have.  Is that weird?

Nah, I hardly use outfits either. I've got one for my base avatar as well as one to quickly throw on clothing in case I want to go out and check a store quick or if I have to leave my home due to restarts or such, as well as one base outfit for my mermaid getup since there's quite a few extra body parts (fins galore!) to keep track of. But using outfits just to change the clothes I'm wearing (and having to update them when I get a new tattoo or such)? Meh.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

Nah, I hardly use outfits either. I've got one for my base avatar as well as one to quickly throw on clothing in case I want to go out and check a store quick or if I have to leave my home due to restarts or such, as well as one base outfit for my mermaid getup since there's quite a few extra body parts (fins galore!) to keep track of. But using outfits just to change the clothes I'm wearing (and having to update them when I get a new tattoo or such)? Meh.

My base has BOM undies on so I'm good to go if I want to shop.  Nothing too revealing.  More of a bathing suit look.

I enjoy the dressing process, I guess.  Which accessories, which shoes, hair, makeup.  It's relaxing.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's just more work in general to put on/remove alphas and/or auto-alpha objects if clothing doesn't come with bom alphas or auto-alphas built-in. And in some cases it's a lot more work when you mix and match many things from various sets/outfits together. It's easier to save a ready to use outfit, and if needed adjust some of its parts, than dig through your entire inventory to find "those heels that actually didn't clip with these pants", and "that top that also doesn't clip with the jacket from another set".

There are also cases when some outfits might use an adjusted/modded version of clothing and/or accessories with some tinting and shininess adjusted, while some other outfits might use same exact pieces, but in their original state.

In cases of some complex fantasy/RP outfits they might take hours to get right, so saving a good result in a ready to use outfit seems like a good idea.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I can't imagine SL without outfits... I probably shouldn't have so many but I save every single one. I go through phases of using them as bases though, like keeping accessories but changing dresses etc.

Then there's beach outfits etc, necessary unless I want to get really frustrated removing all of the stuff I'm wearing which can be a lot.

I could definitely go through and delete 99% of them though I fully admit, I just don't. I have well over 100, realistically using 10-20 though, old ones are stored away.

Also if I log in naked (!) I want outfits available, usually so I can go buy more clothes I'll store in a neat structured folder layout and wear once.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 4

There would always be something I'd want to change be it hair or jewelry, shoes, makeup.  Besides, I rarely, if ever, want to wear the exact look twice.

If I did fantasy looks and used them for more than a picture, I might make that an outfit.

Different strokes, as they say.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I can't imagine SL without outfits... I probably shouldn't have so many but I save every single one. I go through phases of using them as bases though, like keeping accessories but changing dresses etc.

Then there's beach outfits etc, necessary unless I want to get really frustrated removing all of the stuff I'm wearing which can be a lot.

I could definitely go through and delete 99% of them though I fully admit, I just don't.

I use them for certain looks and also when I make shape changes and things like that.. I'll have phases where I'm in this look then later want to jump back to a different look.. Plus have things like soaked for when I'm swimming.. Just quick change overs.. I probably use it more for different looks than different outfits..

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I generally am the same.  I do have some outfits though.  A couple of base outfits that just have the head, body, skin, shape and HUDs and I add to that on top.  I also now have some outfits where I wanted to save the completed result because it was complicated and the result was something I wanted to wear again and again.  These tend to be "themed" oufit style stuff mostly where it would be difficult to recreate.

• Like 3

@everyone Coming Soon: an entirely new version, a next generation of Lara! 
When we created the Lara Mesh Body over 8 years ago, she was ground breaking and soon became the most popular body on the second life grid. Originally it had been our goal to stay close to the default Second Life avatar (Ruth), so that everyone could still enjoy their sl wardrobe with their Lara body. In recent years that restriction has been lifted more and more. Due to the effort of thousands of content creators in second life, who make their mesh in various mesh body sizes, a mesh body can now look any way we want it to. 
Recently we’ve received a lot of requests for a Lara mesh body update. When we asked people what it was they were hoping to see in an update, most people replied they were hoping to see a more curvy or more detailed Lara with better weights. The request for smoother weights originates from creators who have expressed the difficulty they experience when creating content for the Lara mesh body (some of them therefore even decided to drop Lara sizes). As much as we wanted to improve the weights issues, doing so would always result in the breaking of content made for Lara previously.
The solution we eventually came up with is to improve Lara, with smoother weights and more detailed mesh. And to give this next generation Lara X as an extra in our next update. An extra, not a replacement. So that no-one will lose anything and everyone will only gain! This means that every Lara mesh body owner or buyer will receive Lara X for free and also still the original Lara body, to wear with existing Lara wardrobes. You can switch between them effortlessly if you wish so.

https://gyazo.com/ddc09fbfa0e18f593eb602b017787832
Gyazo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd probably die without Outfits, but I agree - for just clothing/jewelry/makeup/shoe changes, they're not a necessity at all.

Unfortunately for me, I'm also swapping heads, skins, bodies, different versions of heads & bodies (tinted vs. non and various preset setups for things I've applied to them), shapes (sometimes multiple shapes for the same head based on style/look I'm going for), body mods, tattoos and overlays, material layers in some cases, a billion copies of ears (I must have over a dozen pairs of unrigged human and pixie mesh ears I swap through in addition to others and they're all resized, tinted, and manually positioned to match different heads/skins, lol), headpieces, alpha layers, held props, worn props... on and on and on...

I usually set up a basic template for each avatar type with a somewhat simple outfit so I can swap to something in the ballpark of what I'm going for and then get dressed from there, but without saving that extra step, it'd take me hours to get dressed. Not that it still doesn't... 😄 I'm an actual mess.

It's only going to get worse with Lara X. Now I'll have copies of flat bodies and new bodies and old bodies and oh my god. I'm excited, but mentally preparing myself at the same time!

elmo-sinking.gif

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Grammaring
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Nope. I currently made shapes for 4 Avis . The base for those avis are the  only oufits I have... but I may eventually create outfits in the CTS wardrobe if I ever get round to fully setting it up 

• Like 1

Maitreya

We’ve noticed there are some misunderstandings about the ‘more curvy’ part. We didn’t make the body more curvy. We tried to keep Lara as much as possible the same ‘thickness’ and same look she had. But because we had to make changes to the weights, the body does respond a little stronger to the appearance sliders. This means that if your shape sliders were (almost) maxed for butt and/or breasts, you will see they are a little bigger now. If your slider is in the middle, they are about the same size as before. So if you don’t want to be more curvy, you don’t have to. But you do have the option to get a bit more curvy. The butt also has the option of physics (movement) now. And the body is a bit more detailed, as in smoother and rounder. The changes are very subtle, but as you can see on the GIF, there are differences. Wether or not clothing made for Lara will fit Lara X (with alpha use), may partly depend on sliders as well. Again, if your shape sliders are somewhat in the middle, the changes are minimal. With sliders set to more extreme numbers, the differences grow. We expect that from now on, creators will prefer to create for Lara X. You get to keep your original Lara for things made previously, if they don’t fit Lara X. That way you will always have a Lara version that fits your clothing. Lara X isn’t an add-on. It is a full body avatar, that you will get as an addition to your original Lara.

Sourced From Maitreya's Facebook -> https://gyazo.com/9b342378c3f9b585c43966866d1d28a7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, Annie Nova said:

@everyone Coming Soon: an entirely new version, a next generation of Lara! 
When we created the Lara Mesh Body over 8 years ago, she was ground breaking and soon became the most popular body on the second life grid. Originally it had been our goal to stay close to the default Second Life avatar (Ruth), so that everyone could still enjoy their sl wardrobe with their Lara body. In recent years that restriction has been lifted more and more. Due to the effort of thousands of content creators in second life, who make their mesh in various mesh body sizes, a mesh body can now look any way we want it to. 
Recently we’ve received a lot of requests for a Lara mesh body update. When we asked people what it was they were hoping to see in an update, most people replied they were hoping to see a more curvy or more detailed Lara with better weights. The request for smoother weights originates from creators who have expressed the difficulty they experience when creating content for the Lara mesh body (some of them therefore even decided to drop Lara sizes). As much as we wanted to improve the weights issues, doing so would always result in the breaking of content made for Lara previously.
The solution we eventually came up with is to improve Lara, with smoother weights and more detailed mesh. And to give this next generation Lara X as an extra in our next update. An extra, not a replacement. So that no-one will lose anything and everyone will only gain! This means that every Lara mesh body owner or buyer will receive Lara X for free and also still the original Lara body, to wear with existing Lara wardrobes. You can switch between them effortlessly if you wish so.

https://gyazo.com/ddc09fbfa0e18f593eb602b017787832
Gyazo

[Flash Gordon Jump]...sounds good to me.  I have a few outfits I wear all the time.  I do got a pair of jeans from Maitreya that hugs my curves...winks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tayt3rChip said:

Maitreya

We’ve noticed there are some misunderstandings about the ‘more curvy’ part. We didn’t make the body more curvy. We tried to keep Lara as much as possible the same ‘thickness’ and same look she had. But because we had to make changes to the weights, the body does respond a little stronger to the appearance sliders. This means that if your shape sliders were (almost) maxed for butt and/or breasts, you will see they are a little bigger now. If your slider is in the middle, they are about the same size as before. So if you don’t want to be more curvy, you don’t have to. But you do have the option to get a bit more curvy. The butt also has the option of physics (movement) now. And the body is a bit more detailed, as in smoother and rounder. The changes are very subtle, but as you can see on the GIF, there are differences. Wether or not clothing made for Lara will fit Lara X (with alpha use), may partly depend on sliders as well. Again, if your shape sliders are somewhat in the middle, the changes are minimal. With sliders set to more extreme numbers, the differences grow. We expect that from now on, creators will prefer to create for Lara X. You get to keep your original Lara for things made previously, if they don’t fit Lara X. That way you will always have a Lara version that fits your clothing. Lara X isn’t an add-on. It is a full body avatar, that you will get as an addition to your original Lara.

Sourced From Maitreya's Facebook -> https://gyazo.com/9b342378c3f9b585c43966866d1d28a7

Haha, I can imagine all the supermodel thin Maitreya wearing people having an absolute conniption over the "more curvy" thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I could definitely go through and delete 99% of them though I fully admit, I just don't. I have well over 100, realistically using 10-20 though, old ones are stored away.

Also if I log in naked (!) I want outfits available, usually so I can go buy more clothes I'll store in a neat structured folder layout and wear once.

I stand at 220 outfits at the moment.  I wear them all.  What can I say...I like making up outfits.  Click and go baby.  Click and go.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

It's an update. No one's taking away the 10,000+ items of clothing you already have if you're a Maitreya girl. Every store with a strong Maitreya line isn't suddenly going to pull all the 5.3 clothing; you'll be able to buy Maitreya 5.3 clothing for the next 5+ years still (you can still buy non-rigged clothes from 15 years ago for Bastet's sake). You get the Lara X for free, and keep your 5.3. Use that for the next 2 years while stores start rigging for Lara X.

Ya, as long as I can put my head on it (Lelutka Lilly), and set it to under 5'3" without issue, not have wide hips and a fat butt (a LOT less wide and fat than the photos so far, BTW), then it doesn't matter a damn what is under the clothes, as long as they don't poke through. And I know how to make alpha BoMs, so I don't even need alpha-cuts, thanks.

I am really looking forward to LaraX.

It's like my electric car, I could have stuck with the horse and cart, but finding a wainwright was getting a might difficult.

Edited by Anna Nova
spelling error
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Tayt3rChip said:

Maitreya

Oooh they finally used the buttbone

• Like 2