No More Free Lunch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i do believe, after much inspired thought [we've got some good bud here at the grocers (only in Canada, eh?)], it's come to the time to revolutionize the world, once again.

let me explain:

we have in fact two worlds. 1. free accounts, and 2. paid accounts.

i'd like to hear what the Linden shills and free thinkers have in mind when the discussion comes to separating the free loaders from the paid participants. aside from the technically inevitably insurmountable issues, could we not have total separation of the account species while still keeping whatever use the free accounts are known for. it'd be just like the Teen world. not sure how that worked or what it was like in comparison to the main grid, but i do know they ran concurrently. not like the botched separation of the adult content (and that might be another category for a separate world too) but there'd be a locked door on who's to enter from one grid to another.

should the paid accounts want to frolic in the midst of the unpaid account world they would, by virtue of their account status, be able to log in to either world at will. it'd just be another grid on the viewer's grid dropdown option. all inventory and land assets would be preserved and maintained (unlike the Beta to Main grid methodology). any land assets rezzed in the free world could equally be rezzed in the paid world.

free world accounts that stubbornly cling to the old ways of enjoying any and all comforts in the existing world situation would no longer have the privilege of sharing the unbounded glory of what comes from being in the paid account world. such a shame would be world shattering and would elicit a substantial boost from free to paid account signups. given sufficient advance warning of the new world order to come i'm sure the empty map would soon flourish with creative potential. perhaps the contracted moles could lend a hand in setting up some themed realms (like the Horizons and Bellisaria spaces). perhaps preview setups could be entertained. who knows, it may overtake the paid grid in its compelling wonders.

just what type of ill affects would be generated with their loss; a stampede of closed accounts, a pulling out of an incalculable amount of inworld assets, a spike in hacking retributions, dogs sleeping with cats, who knows what else....

so. please, if you have any thoughts on how impossible or feasable this separation could be i'd love to have you add/subtract from what is but a rudimentary exercise in formulating a better world. i think it's brilliant but i'm open to discussion. what say you?

• Haha 8
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 6

11 minutes ago, EnCore Mayne said:

i do believe, after much inspired thought [we've got some good bud here at the grocers (only in Canada, eh?)], it's come to the time to revolutionize the world, once again.

let me explain:

i'd like to hear what the Linden shills and free thinkers have in mind when the discussion comes to separating the free loaders from the paid participants. aside from the technically inevitably insurmountable issues, could we not have total separation of the account species while still keeping whatever use the free accounts are known for. it'd be just like the Teen world. not sure how that worked or what it was like in comparison to the main grid, but i do know they ran concurrently. not like the botched separation of the adult content (and that might be another category for a separate world too) but there'd be a locked door on who's to enter from one grid to another.

should the paid accounts want to frolic in the midst of the unpaid account world they would, by virtue of their account status, be able to log in to either world at will. it'd just be another grid on the viewer's grid dropdown option. all inventory and land assets would be preserved and maintained (unlike the Beta to Main grid methodology). any land assets rezzed in the free world could equally be rezzed in the paid world.

free world accounts that stubbornly cling to the old ways of enjoying any and all comforts in the existing world situation would no longer have the privilege of sharing the unbounded glory of what comes from being in the paid account world. such a shame would be world shattering and would elicit a substantial boost from free to paid account signups. given sufficient advance warning of the new world order to come i'm sure the empty map would soon flourish with creative potential. perhaps the contracted moles could lend a hand in setting up some themed realms (like the Horizons and Bellisaria spaces). perhaps preview setups could be entertained. who knows, it may overtake the paid grid in its compelling wonders.

just what type of ill affects would be generated with their loss; a stampede of closed accounts, a pulling out of an incalculable amount of inworld assets, a spike in hacking retributions, dogs sleeping with cats, who knows what else....

so. please, if you have any thoughts on how impossible or feasable this separation could be i'd love to have you add/subtract from what is but a rudimentary exercise in formulating a better world. i think it's brilliant but i'm open to discussion. what say you?

Well, free accounts still.spend VAST amounts of money on products and private estates so I'd imagine your brilliant idea would close SL.within months?

Sorry, just had to add this...

1txjcu.jpg.ba89bfd017e390de1bd2a46e671002a9.jpg

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 16
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, EnCore Mayne said:

let me explain:

What exactly have you been smoking? 🤪

• Like 9
  • Haha 7

23 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Well, free accounts still.spend VAST amounts of money on products and private estates so I'd imagine your brilliant idea would close SL.within months?

Yeah, quite a large number of Basic members (like me) have been in SL for ages, own private estates, create and sell items in MP, and have been active all across the grid.  If LL ever took this proposal seriously, they'd really tick off some of their strongest supporters.  That ain't gonna happen.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

I would strongly suspect that this is one of those times when people on the forums who usually disagree over everything will actually agree. It's not a good idea from any angle. The majority of paid accounts would never have stayed and started paying if they were locked out of all the real content and community. I don't know anyone who became premium because the tutorial impressed them.

• Like 20

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yeah, quite a large number of Basic members (like me) have been in SL for ages, own private estates, create and sell items in MP, and have been active all across the grid.  If LL ever took this proposal seriously, they'd really tick off some of their strongest supporters.  That ain't gonna happen.

I was thinking of you, actually, when I read the post.  😊

Not sure what upside the proposal.would even have or what it would hope to accomplish.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, EnCore Mayne said:

let me explain:

Quite possibly the worst, and certainly the most obnoxious idea I've seen floated here for quite some time. Congrats!

Why, other than an apparently irrational hatred of and contempt for, free accounts, would you want to do this?

• Like 14
  • Thanks 12

52 minutes ago, EnCore Mayne said:

let me explain:

I have a free account but am not a free loader just like in real life I claim benefits but work my bloody arse off.

Grrrrhhh!!! is all I have to say.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Ways in which "free accounts" contribute to the culture and value of Second Life.

1) They buy Lindens.

2) They spend Lindens, contributing immeasurably to SL's economy. I obviously don't have access to figures, but given the sheer number of free accounts, I am pretty sure that they constitute the bulk of commerce in SL.

3) They rent land, contributing (again) to SL's economy, but also filling out what would otherwise be a pretty empty map with places that are often of public interest and value.

4) A great many of them are content creators, producing goods as well as experiences of value for all residents.

5) They represent the bulk of SL's concurrency rates, which in turn means that SL is not as devoid of life and interest as it would be without them.

Segregate the far more numerous free accounts from the Premium and Premium Plus accounts, and you fatally hobble the latter, which would wither on the vine for lack of visitors, customers, patrons, and commerce, and even just plain interest.

SL does not survive without free accounts. LL is very well aware of this: it's why they've never attempted anything even as remotely discriminatory and muddle-headed as this proposal.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 8

image.png.c001c418c461318a02e2e3f3d47f9498.png

I am so sick of people making the suggestion that basic accounts should be separated from paid accounts simply to ostracize a group of people.

Am I not already ostracized enough? ffs!

No wonder I don't like humans very much. Why not just close all of my accounts and force me to leave SL for good? 

I'm going to walk away before I really blow up.

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

SL does not survive without free accounts. LL is very well aware of this: it's why they've never attempted anything even as remotely discriminatory and muddle-headed as this proposal.

Not since 2004/5 anyway when basic accounts no longer had to be paid for. 

I PAID FOR MINE in 2004.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

"Imagine A world, where race, gender, age, religion, health, location, physical characteristics, class distinction, & socio-economic status do not limit you." -SL Oldtimer

@EnCore Maynemight want to take that nugget out of your profile.  🤔

For sure!!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EnCore Mayne said:

let me explain:

So in this whole long schpiel, we should segregate non-premium accounts, and basically ostracize them from the rest of the people? I mean this happened in actual human history, it didn't work out so well. Your whole post exudes classism and no one not even LL will even entertain your idea. 

Edited by Sammy Huntsman
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

It's not even weekend yet for some (more or less) usual troll topics, but here we have this one.

But yeah, can't say it's a very unique or new idea and somehow it always puzzles me when some "mighty premium users" that pay "whole" 99$/year (~35$ if they save the stipend to pay for the next year) think they actually contirbute more to SL's economy than those "basic peasants". Except that lots of those "peasants" myself included pay for all those private regions/estates that are 209$/month per normal 20k region (and another reminder that you don't need a premium account to buy a region from LL, it only applies to the mainland). On top of buying LS$ to actually decorate and furnish those regions as well as usual dressup and other expenses depending on one's interests in SL.

Most fun or sad part, depends how to look at it, is that some of those "I'm special" types actually believe it, despite... well, usually being a non-factor compared to actually heavy spenders.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I've been a free account for 16 years, I have put thousands into the platform with land rentals from other resident,  buying clothing from other residents,  tipping other residents, the list goes on and on,  I'm not going to be pay walled or shoved into a "free members only" SL.  sorry

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.