18 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Good food makes me happy - real food, not artificial sugar (although I'm a sucker for artificially brightly colored foods once in a while). Unless your diabetic, there's nothing wrong with eating some real sugar. Real premium ice cream tastes so much better. (You cannot call Baskin Robin's premium.) 

Personally, I'm not that fond of carbonated sugar water. I prefer a still, naturally flavored water or herb tea, but that's just me. I love this one brand of sugared dried mangos I've been eating like candy even better than dark chocolate though. I also like some pumpkin spice donuts or Walmart apple fritters with cold lowfat milk.

My point is eat what makes you happy, as long as you're getting a balanced diet overall. 

Even as a diabetic there is nothing wrong with smaller portions of sugar in their food.
I eat normal ice cream every now and then or some cake or pie. You can wake me up in the middle of the night for a good piece of warm apple pie.

But for everybody goes: Sugar is pure energy, it holds tons of calories (one tablespoon is about 60 kcalories) and ones blood sugar explodes easily when used in larger amounts. Even non diabetic people will notice the change on how they feel after a real sugar bomb.
If you want to gain weight, don't hold back on the sugar and high carb food. :D
Otherwise I think it is wise to keep an eye on it. 

It is as you wrote important to keep a balanced diet and that is hard to do in our western world consumption society, where portions these days almost only come in the sizes: too large, way too large and extremely way too large, even though it is named small, regular and large at the counters.
Peeve: It is not for nothing that 70% of the western world has at least a few pounds to much weight and over 30% is obese.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

It is as you wrote important to keep a balanced diet and that is hard to do in our western world consumption society, where portions these days almost only come in the sizes: too large, way too large and extremely way too large, even though it is named small, regular and large at the counters.

Aside from the serving size, they don't tend to be very satiating, even when you go for the extremely way too large ones with enough calories to last days in one sitting. I could chow down on the largest burger menu they have, supersized and with extras, feel full for a few moments, and then feel like I could go for a snack. Now I eat once a day, and if it weren't for the cat screaming at me when she wants dinner, I'd probably forget that I'm supposed to eat too. Once fasted for 5 days, it was only meant to be 3 but I figured I could just keep going to see what would happen. By day 5 I wasn't feeling particularly hungry either, but I figured that, too, should be done in moderation, and had a pair of eggs. 

The only peeve about that experience was how certain cravings of a wholly different nature went through the roof. It was like being a teenager all over.

Strange how things change with what we choose to eat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

But for everybody goes: Sugar is pure energy, it holds tons of calories (one tablespoon is about 60 kcalories) and ones blood sugar explodes easily when used in larger amounts

I love sugar :P I actually carry a bag of Tate & Lyle with me so I can sprinkle it over every thing I eat or drink :P I probably consume about 10 tablespoons of sugar a day, and it gives me so much energy, I don't have to drink unhealthy things like black coffee. 

Scientists say too much is bad for you, but they also said Pluto is not a planet so I wouldn't take too much notice of them tbh. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I love sugar :P I actually carry a bag of Tate & Lyle with me so I can sprinkle it over every thing I eat or drink :P I probably consume about 10 tablespoons of sugar a day, and it gives me so much energy, I don't have to drink unhealthy things like black coffee. 

Scientists say too much is bad for you, but they also said Pluto is not a planet so I wouldn't take too much notice of them tbh. 

Sugar buzzzzzzzz

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Unhealthy coffee? I won't hear it....fingers in ears..............................................😁

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Orwar said:

Peeve: people saying my food is too hot. Look, if your scalp isn't sweaty two bites in, and you're still wearing a shirt at the end, you're not doing tacos right. And yes, Tabasco is a totally valid substitute for salsa, m'kay? 

It's in the book. I think. Nods

You paying my hospital bill? 😛

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Modulated said:

Peeve: Links for Youtube shorts don't work properly here. Please fix this oh mighty ones!

Since when? I post them all the time without any problem. Just copy/paste the link or use the Other Media drop down.

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

Since when? I post them all the time without any problem. Just copy/paste the link or use the Other Media drop down.

Keeps telling me it can't be something something or other like :The link could not be embedded because an error occurred on www.youtube.com.:

10 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

You paying my hospital bill? 😛

Nah, but I'll feed you some ice cream afterwards to cool down? :P

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Modulated said:

Keeps telling me it can't be something something or other like :The link could not be embedded because an error occurred on www.youtube.com.:

31 minutes ago, Modulated said:

Try this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51424578/embed-youtube-code-is-not-working-in-html

Oh wait... that's for HTML. Gimme a few.

Aha! From Invision's own support forum: https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/464821-the-link-could-not-be-embedded/

Oh hell. No solution there. 

I do know that some YT creators do not allow their vids to be embedded so that may be why. 

Last edit: https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/357692-how-to-embed-youtube-videos-in-the-forum-posts/

This is what happens when I haven't had my morning java yet. 😆

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

3 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Scientists say too much is bad for you

Peeve: Apparently (according to history videos I've watched), "rotten teeth" due to sugar in one's diet was a sign of social status!

Peeve: I should never have gotten my teeth fixed, and instead should have time-traveled to the past.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Apparently (according to history videos I've watched), "rotten teeth" due to sugar in one's diet was a sign of social status!

Err, that sounds like a myth. People have, historically (and presently, to be fair) used clothing and accessories as the primary means of displaying wealth when out and about. Also retinues. No need to go around flashing a toothy smile to display some rotten teeth if you've got a dozen of men-at-arms in shiny armour wearing your coat of arms keeping the rabble clear. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Err, that sounds like a myth. People have, historically (and presently, to be fair) used clothing and accessories as the primary means of displaying wealth when out and about.

It was an English thing. (I made sure not to write "British" for once.)

One example from teh innerwebs: https://www.eternalgoddess.co.uk/posts/the-black-tooth-trend-of-tudor-england

• Like 1

Peeve: Just found out one of my credit cards expired LAST year because my yearly SL payment for Premium Plus was denied. (Switched to a different card.)

Peeve2: Recently had to switch emails due to SL issues also.

Conclusion:  "New online stuffs. Who dis?"

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It was an English thing. (I made sure not to write "British" for once.)

One example from teh innerwebs: https://www.eternalgoddess.co.uk/posts/the-black-tooth-trend-of-tudor-england

Yes, well, it's on the Internet, so it must be true then. 

Did you know Vikings had horned helmets and used lye to bleach their hair? :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Peeve: Hair stores at events trying to sell one style in one color ONLY for 300L.  C'mon, get off your bum and learn how to texture other colors.  If you can make one color look good, you can do more. You're just being greedy. I can go to the absolute best hair stores in SL and get a whole color pack for that amount of money. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Did you know Vikings had horned helmets

I did know this is false, yes!

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Yes, well, it's on the Internet, so it must be true then. 

In fairness, I saw what appeared to be reports by "valid" sources, not on the "internet" ("streaming broadcast videos" about history and culture) also state this. 

4 hours ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

Peeve: Hair stores at events trying to sell one style in one color ONLY for 300L.  C'mon, get off your bum and learn how to texture other colors.  If you can make one color look good, you can do more. You're just being greedy. I can go to the absolute best hair stores in SL and get a whole color pack for that amount of money. 

Add to that, when the 300L single colour hair is flexi and only looks good from one angle.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Add to that, when the 300L single colour hair is flexi and only looks good from one angle.

Or,.it's only a bun or ponytail attachment with a hairbase.  I'll only buy one store's hair if it's on the weekend sales.  I can do one color for 60L.

• Like 3

On 3/17/2024 at 11:49 PM, Bagnu said:

Major Peeve: We can take pics with our SL cameras, but we can't record video. 

I was watching a video earlier, and I thought of your post.  

I have not used vrchat, have no clue about the functionality, but in one video I was looking at it appears that they have the ability to record from separate cameras.  

At around the 3:19 mark you will see what I mean, the avatar seems to reach out to the camera, adjust it, and continues to drive, it appears that they have two cameras in the application, one which they are viewing through from the perspective of the avatar, and a second which is recording.  Imagine having that feature in SL, now that would be a real treat, especially if we were to have multiple cameras we could set to record videos from.

The only way I think we could do that currently, is to have separate viewers loaded, with alts acting out the part of the camera, while recording.  Even then though, I am not sure if you were using one computer for this, how difficult it would be to record from multiple viewers at once.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

I have not used vrchat, have no clue about the functionality, but in one video I was looking at it appears that they have the ability to record from separate cameras.  

At around the 3:19 mark you will see what I mean, the avatar seems to reach out to the camera, adjust it, and continues to drive, it appears that they have two cameras in the application, one which they are viewing through from the perspective of the avatar, and a second which is recording.  Imagine having that feature in SL, now that would be a real treat, especially if we were to have multiple cameras we could set to record videos from.

The only way I think we could do that currently, is to have separate viewers loaded, with alts acting out the part of the camera, while recording.  Even then though, I am not sure if you were using one computer for this, how difficult it would be to record from multiple viewers at once.  

With some vehicles we actually DO have the capability to switch our cameras. I have an "Airwolf" helicopter which allows me to switch camera views. I haven't used it in a couple of years though. I had the macros programmed into my Logitech 910 keyboard. The biggest problem is that I had to be sitting in it. Now if we could set up multiple cameras in a room, and switch on the fly, that would be amazing. Or even better, ones that we could wear. But the the problem too is adjusting views if we do candid, like I do %98 of the time. But recording multiple camera views simultaneously would be quite nice, even if we can't see each individual view at the same time on our screens.  We could pick and choose afterwards, and edit as we liked. The problem with this is it would require very "beefy" and expensive hardware as it stands now. If it's even possible to record multiple video streams at the same time with our existing hardware.

We can wish though!!!

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Istelathis said:

That looks pretty neat.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Now if we could set up multiple cameras in a room, and switch on the fly, that would be amazing. Or even better, ones that we could wear.

What do you mean 'if' we could? We can.

You can save and load camera positions via script (as well as the one built-in camera position save slot which at least Firestorm has in the viewer itself). 

And those vehicle camera HUDs use your avatar's position as reference, they don't require you to be in a vehicle to use them (although they're obviously designed to be used with the vehicle, having a top-down-view with a 30 metre offset is great if you want to land a helicopter and don't have the balls to do it in mouselook - but that preset probably isn't going to be very useful for photography). 

• Like 4

@Orwar I mean having cameras specifically for recording videos, while your avatar's camera still feeds displays at your preferred position.  In the video I had linked earlier, you see the avatar adjusting a second camera hovering off to his side, while he apparently is still looking from a first person perspective, what we are seeing is not what he is seeing (I imagine though he has a separate window displaying what the second camera is currently recording though)

Think of it like having a web cam, that you can adjust, while in real life you are looking through your own eyes.  The camera itself is recording from a different perspective than what you are seeing.  With multiple cameras, you could record multiple locations at once and later edit and combine them into one video, so if you wanted to have a chase scene in a machinema you could place cameras that are all recording in various locations around the road and then later while making the movie snip parts that you would like to combine to create the scene.

It would first require the viewer to record directly though, and it would probably be a lot of work to implement for SL.  For streamers though it would be a great tool, not something I have seen in any virtual world like SL before.  Watching it in vrchat was pretty neat, and as soon as I saw the avatar reach out for their virtual camera and adjust it, while the player himself, appears to be look through a first person camera was what made me think of @Bagnu and his peeve with in viewer recording.  They had set up an amazing means to produce videos while letting the players move through the world with their preferred visual settings.  He was looking around at his shifter, the steering wheel, checking out the door, all the while the second camera that was recording was remaining at a fixed position relative to his avatar.

• Like 1