14 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I can't find your original post :( But I agree with you, a major peeve is people who are rude or arrogant when talking to cleaners, waiters, bar staff, etc 👎 Manners cost nothing...these are people, not robots.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

I think I might be a little peeved. But mostly just .. Confused.

Was demoing a dress. And, as the demo only has the fatpack HUD with it, I went to peek at the info notecard to see if it contained any information of what features are available to the single colour HUDs. Second line in the notecard states 'XYZ is a black-owned brand'. Um, all right .. And? So? What? 

I just don't understand the relevancy. Is it supposed to somehow influence whether or not I shop there? Am I not welcome as a customer for being of another ethnicity? It was a totally normal dress that wouldn't stand out if you saw it in a H&M store, so it's not like the product could somehow cause a 'cultural appropriation' situation. Or do they suggest I should shop there because of some peculiar redistribution-of-wealth-to-empower-certain-ethnic-groups thing? 

I kinda just buy stuff I like, nothing else really matters to me. I might recoil a bit if I look up a creator's profile to find their in-world store/social media info and find a swastika or hammer & sickle in the profile pic, but other than that .. Meh?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Second line in the notecard states 'XYZ is a black-owned brand'. Um, all right .. And? So? What? 

I just don't understand the relevancy. Is it supposed to somehow influence whether or not I shop there? Am I not welcome as a customer for being of another ethnicity? 

Or do they suggest I should shop there because of some peculiar redistribution-of-wealth-to-empower-certain-ethnic-groups thing? 

I can understand this is puzzling to you, as you aren't from the US and likely aren't totally aware of what we did in the US to keep Black folks down economically. It really is a horror story the way we treated them.

Some of us want to rectify this and help a little if we can...via supporting their businesses (as well as businesses of other disenfranchised groups).

Peeve: There's just not enough History taught in school, in any country.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Is it supposed to somehow influence whether or not I shop there? Am I not welcome as a customer for being of another ethnicity? It was a totally normal dress that wouldn't stand out if you saw it in a H&M store, so it's not like the product could somehow cause a 'cultural appropriation' situation. Or do they suggest I should shop there because of some peculiar redistribution-of-wealth-to-empower-certain-ethnic-groups thing? 

Yes. No. Yes. See Luna's reply.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes. No. Yes. See Luna's reply.

I did, so now I can't.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b95223z64c2jzqv50tubsbw

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

I think I might be a little peeved. But mostly just .. Confused.

Was demoing a dress. And, as the demo only has the fatpack HUD with it, I went to peek at the info notecard to see if it contained any information of what features are available to the single colour HUDs. Second line in the notecard states 'XYZ is a black-owned brand'. Um, all right .. And? So? What? 

I just don't understand the relevancy. Is it supposed to somehow influence whether or not I shop there? Am I not welcome as a customer for being of another ethnicity? It was a totally normal dress that wouldn't stand out if you saw it in a H&M store, so it's not like the product could somehow cause a 'cultural appropriation' situation. Or do they suggest I should shop there because of some peculiar redistribution-of-wealth-to-empower-certain-ethnic-groups thing? 

I kinda just buy stuff I like, nothing else really matters to me. I might recoil a bit if I look up a creator's profile to find their in-world store/social media info and find a swastika or hammer & sickle in the profile pic, but other than that .. Meh?

Messages like that are geared toward people like me. Ya know...Black. *waves* 

Does it matter to me if a brand is Black-owned? Often, yes. Does it influence my shopping behavior? Sometimes, yes, highly depending on the product. 

In the real-world, will I choose a hair product from a Black-owned company over one that isn't? Absolutely. I tend to trust that they'll understand my hair's texture and unique needs and provide safe, known ingredients with a long history of promoting healthy hair growth (which is something we sometimes struggle with - hair breakage as a result of using the wrong shampoo, conditioner, leave-in, relaxer, hair dye, balms, creams, oils, even hats/headwear/hair accessories, etc. is REAL! 😭). Edit: I also forgot makeup. Very important to me that a brand understands my skin, as well. Which reminds me - I STILL need to try Fenty, but I stopped wearing makeup a loooong time ago (because finding a good brand is harder than one would think!).

In SL, does it matter? Sometimes. For a house plant, nah. For traditional hairstyles (fros, puffs, Bantu knots, braids, locs, twists, etc.) or style of outfit? Absolutely. Again, also for makeup, as our colors and shades are often quite different to match darker skin tones. Stores that get this right are very few and far between.

Sometimes, I just like to support Black creators in SL in general, because being able to do so in other game worlds is such a rarity (except The Sims - we do have a lot of Simmers out there, but other games sadly lack representation - and that's a peeve).

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Messages like that are geared toward people like me. Ya know...Black. *waves* 

Does it matter to me if a brand is Black-owned? Often, yes. Does it influence my shopping behavior? Sometimes, yes, highly depending on the product. 

In the real-world, will I choose a hair product from a Black-owned company over one that isn't? Absolutely. I tend to trust that they'll understand my hair's texture and unique needs and provide safe, known ingredients with a long history of promoting healthy hair growth (which is something we sometimes struggle with - hair breakage as a result of using the wrong shampoo, conditioner, leave-in, relaxer, hair dye, balms, creams, oils, even hats/headwear/hair accessories, etc. is REAL! 😭). Edit: I also forgot makeup. Very important to me that a brand understands my skin, as well. Which reminds me - I STILL need to try Fenty, but I stopped wearing makeup a loooong time ago (because finding a good brand is harder than one would think!).

In SL, does it matter? Sometimes. For a house plant, nah. For traditional hairstyles (fros, puffs, Bantu knots, braids, locs, twists, etc.) or style of outfit? Absolutely. Again, also for makeup, as our colors and shades are often quite different to match darker skin tones. Stores that get this right are very few and far between.

Sometimes, I just like to support Black creators in SL in general, because being able to do so in other game worlds is such a rarity (except The Sims - we do have a lot of Simmers out there, but other games sadly lack representation - and that's a peeve).

I can respect that..in RL. In SL, however, you never really know who is behind the brands and often the image of a brand pushed in SL is not run by who you think it is. It's quite common.

11 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Peeve: There's just not enough History taught in school, in any country.

Did you follow classes in every country? ;)

And yes, in the Netherlands history is in the first place about the Dutch history and then about European history.
We have enough horrors to discuss and teach about our own history.
History lessons about the USA are not much more than sightseeing the highlights, just scratching the surface. Or one has to really take up a history study at an university.

History is important to teach, but so is arithmetic, languages, geography, biology, physics, chemistry, mathematics, drawing, crafts, sports.
And kids should have some free time too I guess.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Modulated said:

I can respect that..in RL. In SL, however, you never really know who is behind the brands and often the image of a brand pushed in SL is not run by who you think it is. It's quite common.

Sometimes. Though with some products (like hair), you can usually tell. Does their 4C look natural (and most importantly, good). Does the hairstyle look accurate. Did they break away from the mainstream styles and make something more unique (flip over Fulani braids - gawd I need these in my SL). Did they label the hairstyle properly (did they call it a Havana Twist when it's a Senegalese Twist). Also, I buy mens natural hair, too, and that's a whole other challenge not too many take on.

There's also an SL creator community on YouTube and across other socials, though how large it is, I don't know. Some make "how-to" videos on content creation in SL and similar things. Lots of decorating and shopping videos. I'm not that tuned in on that on the SL side, though. I'm far more familiar with Black Simmers and custom content makers there, because that community is a lot larger and more visible across social media. How do I know - they appear on video. They do livestreams. Some are in the Black Girl Gamers community organization.

At the end of the day, it doesn't 100% matter to me as far as SL goes, and I certainly don't worry about any need to verify. As long as someone is presenting whatever they're making respectfully and accurately, with proper research, then I don't care whether they're actually Black or not.

I do still like to support Black creators overall when I can, though, because again, they are SO hard to find outside of the life sim circuit. I simply cannot style my avatar in most games the way I want, even with mods (peeve), because Black designers/modders are just so rare in some games and the items just don't exist (and goodness knows I'm not learning 3D for all this, lol). I like to yeet money at them whenever I can here to hopefully encourage them to continue fueling my shopping addiction and lend their talents to other games/modding communities.

• Like 5

today's peeve: how to access a file from 1998 stored on a 3.5 inch floppy.  I don't want to buy a usb 3.5 floppy drive to retrieve one file when it may or may not even be possible to read it on my win10 laptop.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

today's peeve: how to access a file from 1998 stored on a 3.5 inch floppy.  I don't want to buy a usb 3.5 floppy drive to retrieve one file when it may or may not even be possible to read it on my win10 laptop.

• Like 2

What file format? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

It was created in a program called family tree maker back in 1998. I have no idea what the file format is.

The good news - If I'm looking at the right thing, it still exists. Wiki. Website.

The bad news - It's spensive unless you plan on using it for more than just a file conversion. It says 2019 on the homepage, but at the very bottom, there's mention of it being stable up to Windows 11 in the system requirements.

This image below might help with identifying the file extension, but just be careful - I see a recommendation on this page (which I won't link to, for safety - it's also labeled Not Secure, but it's a Wiki-like source, so I'll just grab the image for ya) to download an older free-trial from 2005 to convert files to a newer format, but I don't know if I'd mess with that, to be honest. Shady exes are shady. Perhaps you can find a safer workaround if you want to grab and convert your file.

image.png.69ef074a576442ffe36b8453f4511e71.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

The good news - If I'm looking at the right thing, it still exists. Wiki. Website.

The bad news - It's spensive unless you plan on using it for more than just a file conversion. It says 2019 on the homepage, but at the very bottom, there's mention of it being stable up to Windows 11 in the system requirements.

This image below might help with identifying the file extension, but just be careful - I see a recommendation on this page (which I won't link to, for safety - it's also labeled Not Secure, but it's a Wiki-like source, so I'll just grab the image for ya) to download an older free-trial from 2005 to convert files to a newer format, but I don't know if I'd mess with that, to be honest. Shady exes are shady. Perhaps you can find a safer workaround if you want to grab and convert your file.

image.png.69ef074a576442ffe36b8453f4511e71.png

Assuming what's on the floppy is "the file" that needs to be converted, she still has the original issue / peeve - getting it off the floppy. 🙂

Edited by Love Zhaoying

Peeve: Had to finally buy a newer iPad today for remote controlling DAW software..

OTOH: Now I can try the new official Second Life Mobile client on something better than my old iPhone Xs!!! (When it arrives..)

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Assuming what's on the floppy is "the file" that needs to be converted, she still has the original issue / peeve - getting it off the floppy. 🙂

And hoping the file didn't get corrupted after all those years, considering in my experience, files on floppy's were highly prone to corruption after a couple years in storage :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That solution costs under $20 (or $15 or less on Ebay), should she determine the file is indeed salvageable and worth doing so. The current version of her software is the real expense, at about $80-100, which is why I gave her that info first (and @Silent Mistwalker already provided instructions for the rest - Thanks Silent!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I may break down and buy one of those usb portable drives.  I did some research and found a free software called rootsmagic essentials that might be able to read the file once I do get a hold of it.  I'm now waiting to do that until I hear if anyone I know on FB has already bought one for any reason and will let me borrow it or read the file for me and copy it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

And hoping the file didn't get corrupted after all those years, considering in my experience, files on floppy's were highly prone to corruption after a couple years in storage :(

Yeah, that's why I'm reluctant to buy the USB drive...

3 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

I did some research and found a free software called rootsmagic essentials that might be able to read the file once I do get a hold of it. 

It makes sense that other products will read / convert the files, since the other companies want your business (even if the software is free).  Those genealogical companies should be really motivated to provide conversion and compatibility, so users can merge and extend family trees even if created in other software. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kali Wylder said:

If it was me i'd go to the local Staples store and ask them to move the file from a floppy to a usb stick as I think they offer those services. Might vary by location but could be worth a look?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It makes sense that other products will read / convert the files, since the other companies want your business (even if the software is free).  Those genealogical companies should be really motivated to provide conversion and compatibility, so users can merge and extend family trees even if created in other software. 

Makes sense to me.  I created the file for my mother back in 1998 turning the raw data from old news clippings and yellowed handwritten sheets of paper (some typed) that she had inherited from an uncle.  That's generally the way amateur genealogists passed information on to anyone in the family who had the slightest interest back then.  Not sure who I'm going to give it to but I was thinking of uploading it to Geneanet.

Totally understandable! If you can't find one to borrow (which I'd try first, if possible, though I know it's a loooong shot - retro gaming communities, libraries, and shops that deal in retro computing might have some leads), there is a subreddit called Data Hoarder that might be worth searching to find a good, reliable USB drive to attempt the file retrieval with (or other suggestions).

I don't know if hunting around in genealogy communities/groups/subreddits would turn up any success, but that's another route to try. 

Actually, speaking of libraries - maybe try there first? I found this on the LA Public Library site, soooo... maybe others have a similar service? https://www.lapl.org/memorylab/floppy

• Like 2