34 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Yeah, that's why I'm reluctant to buy the USB drive...

I'd probably pay the computer guy down the street $20 to do it for me (if that's the only floppy access I need as far as I know), that way it becomes HIS problem to recover the file. Save me the frustration and it's the same $20 as buying the drive, etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Totally understandable! If you can't find one to borrow (which I'd try first, if possible, though I know it's a loooong shot - retro gaming communities, libraries, and shops that deal in retro computing might have some leads), there is a subreddit called Data Hoarder that might be worth searching to find a good, reliable USB drive to attempt the file retrieval with (or other suggestions).

I don't know if hunting around in genealogy communities/groups/subreddits would turn up any success, but that's another route to try. 

Actually, speaking of libraries - maybe try there first? I found this on the LA Public Library site, soooo... maybe others have a similar service? https://www.lapl.org/memorylab/floppy

I found a site called  https://retrofloppy.com/ that will read my 3.5"  diskette and convert the data for about the same price as buying the USB drive.  I think I'll try going to the library first and see what they can do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

I found a site called  https://retrofloppy.com/ that will read my 3.5"  diskette and convert the data for about the same price as buying the USB drive.  I think I'll try going to the library first and see what they can do.

Yay! Definitely try the library first, and if your local one(s) can't do it, maybe call some local colleges and universities and see if their libraries have the equipment and might be able to help you out.

• Like 2

Peeve: Treated myself with a large "no-sugar added ice cream" milkshake (US$8.99). 

Spilled about 1/3 of it on my home work area (oops).  Luckily, there's no keyboard, computer,  or anything to damage where it spilled, so it only made a mess (possibly got in a power strip, which I swapped out).

Suffered bad gas pain during the night! (I'm not normally lactose-intolerant, so possibly they used some nasty sugar substitute.)

Karma!!!

What's the "karma" aspect? I expected to have a pleasant experience with my milkshake, looked forward to it, made a special trip to get it, and it did not work out as planned.  Was I mad? No! Because I understand Karma!

But I was still Peeved!

• Sad 1

Peeve: A certain ginormous online retailer , let's call them Notamazing, has suddenly decided that it's ok to wait 30 days to issue refunds on defective/damaged returned items.  I should have seen the writing on the wall when they started charging a fee to not see ads on top of the premium subscription price.  Absolute b.s.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Treated myself with a large "no-sugar added ice cream" milkshake [...] Suffered bad gas pain during the night! (I'm not normally lactose-intolerant, so possibly they used some nasty sugar substitute.)

I refuse artificial sweeteners. And I also won't eat carb-heavy stuff. When I feel as if I need more fat because my food is protein dense, I'll sometimes make a creamshake (that .. Sounds naughty - name is still a WIP!). Tall glass of chilled cream. Shaken frothy. Better than any milkshake! 

22 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

today's peeve: how to access a file from 1998 stored on a 3.5 inch floppy.  I don't want to buy a usb 3.5 floppy drive to retrieve one file when it may or may not even be possible to read it on my win10 laptop.

Wow! I've not touched a floppy disk in a long time! Fun fact: there are a few stockpiles of them out there, because some machines still need floppy disks for updates. And when I left my former full-time employer in 2012 they were still doing diskette duplication orders occasionally.

I recall finding some old ZIP disks many years ago, and managing to get hold of both a ZIP drive and the software to retrieve the data I'd backed up to them in the early 2000s. Those were neat, except for the dreaded Click Of Death. 😱

I keep a portable CD/DVD writer around for the occasional music CD that I'll purchase second-hand from time to time, so I can rip them into my music library. (Yes, I still have one of those. Streaming music services are great for convenience, but lousy for actually holding onto stuff you like.)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Had to finally buy a newer iPad today for remote controlling DAW software..

OTOH: Now I can try the new official Second Life Mobile client on something better than my old iPhone Xs!!! (When it arrives..)

Peeve: the iPhone XS is considered 'old' now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I refuse artificial sweeteners.

I don't know for certain that the Baskin-Robbins "no sugar added" Ice Cream has artificial sweeteners.

I do eat "no sugar ice cream" quite often, and the one I usually eat says it has Maltitol, Polydextrose, and less than 2% sucralose.  I don't have any problem with that.

15 minutes ago, Spiffy Voxel said:

Peeve: the iPhone XS is considered 'old' now.

Peeve: Google says, "The iPhone XS was released on September 21, 2018 and discontinued on September 10, 2019." 5 or 6 years is pretty old, as phones go these days!

27 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Maltitrol, a sugar alcohol, has been known to cause gas and can also cause diarrhea.  My mother is a type 2 diabetic and had to be careful with sugar-substitutes. 

Perhaps I eat smaller quantities usually.  In any case, I don't know what's in the Baskin-Robbins "no sugar added" - their website does not give the actual ingredients! 

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Treated myself with a large "no-sugar added ice cream" milkshake (US$8.99). 

Spilled about 1/3 of it on my home work area (oops).  Luckily, there's no keyboard, computer,  or anything to damage where it spilled, so it only made a mess (possibly got in a power strip, which I swapped out).

Suffered bad gas pain during the night! (I'm not normally lactose-intolerant, so possibly they used some nasty sugar substitute.)

Karma!!!

What's the "karma" aspect? I expected to have a pleasant experience with my milkshake, looked forward to it, made a special trip to get it, and it did not work out as planned.  Was I mad? No! Because I understand Karma!

But I was still Peeved!

$ 8.99 for a milkshake?
Was it a gallon+?

37 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Maltitrol, a sugar alcohol, has been known to cause gas and can also cause diarrhea.  My mother is a type 2 diabetic and had to be careful with sugar-substitutes. 

Stevia is generally safe for diabetics if used in moderation as it can lower blood sugar in some people depending on their meds.

• Like 1

Just now, Sid Nagy said:

$ 8.99 for a milkshake?
Was it a gallon+?

These are premium hand-made US milkshake prices!

Generally, for 1.5 quart of premium ice cream at the grocery is US$6.99.  The milkshake was 32 fluid oz.

• Thanks 1

I do nooooot mess with sugar substitutes at all. "No sugar added," "Zero sugar," etc. signals to me that I should just make my own - whatever it is. Don't care if they replace it with "natural sweeteners" or whateva. Nah, I'm good. Already got me learning how to make ice cream due to shenanigans. Yogurt's next on the list if they keep testing me.

The more I read labels, the more I just want to go full Stardew Valley and start my own farm.

Also, $8.99 for a milkshake is highway robbery! Bet it didn't even taste half as good as mine. I'm in that phase where I'm still experimenting and blending everything I can get my hands on. Yes I did blend bakery-bought cheesecake slices into my shakes and smoothies - AND???? You think I won't try that pumpkin pie in the fridge next? 😂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Perhaps I eat smaller quantities usually.  In any case, I don't know what's in the Baskin-Robbins "no sugar added" - their website does not give the actual ingredients! 

Baskin Robbins utilizes a variety of sugar substitutes in their sugar-free ice cream, including sugar alcohols like maltitol and sorbitol, as well as artificial sweeteners like sucralose and aspartame.  To me, natural sugar, in moderation, is probably better in the long run.  Just as butter is better than margarine.  

What You Should Know About Sugar Alcohols (clevelandclinic.org)

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Baskin Robbins utilizes a variety of sugar substitutes in their sugar-free ice cream, including sugar alcohols like maltitol and sorbitol, as well as artificial sweeteners like sucralose and aspartame.  To me, natural sugar, in moderation, is probably better in the long run.  Just as butter is better than margarine.  

What You Should Know About Sugar Alcohols (clevelandclinic.org)

Peeve: I know that it's supposed to be "bad" (according to various things that were published and shouted in the last year), but I use sucralose in my coffee.

I'm a diabetic and the only thing I buy sugar free are soda's when I'm outdoors.
At home I never drink bottled or canned soda's.

The rest is counting carbohydrates and use insulin accordingly.
 I read info labels on food without exception before buying.
NoNO's are fries and other deep fryed potatoes and regular soda's. They can really mess up blood sugar levels.
Alcoholic beverages are tricky. Alcohol first rises blood sugar levels and a few hours later it lowers it.

Much sugar in a product means small portions for me though.

• Like 3

Type 2 Diabetic here and while I haven't had to make too many dietary changes, I have substituted some Stevia in for sugar in my coffee and tend to err to drinks and such that contain Stevia. On the off chance I do grab an energy drink it is always sugar free and I have only thus far found one brand I cannot drink (it causes my whole body to become mildly itchy after fifteen minutes of consuming it): C4.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Much sugar in a product means small portions for me though.

I was served home made pistachio ice cream yesterday. It was hard to say no. But, thanks to a bit of moderation, I didn't eat enough of it to kick me out of ketosis. 

I have no diabetes, but it's been years since I sweetened coffee or tea, now the taste of those with sweeteners is almost repulsive to me. I also feel as if after cutting back on added sugars, my cravings for it went away after a while. Sugar (and artificial sweeteners that make our brains go 'yay') really aren't too different from drugs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Type 2 Diabetic here and while I haven't had to make too many dietary changes, I have substituted some Stevia in for sugar in my coffee and tend to err to drinks and such that contain Stevia. On the off chance I do grab an energy drink it is always sugar free and I have only thus far found one brand I cannot drink (it causes my whole body to become mildly itchy after fifteen minutes of consuming it): C4.

Peeve: I am now a "Zevia" brand soda drinker! (Sweetened with Stevia.)  Prior to that, I had not drank soda for years, really.

I used to love my flavored coffee creamers.  In the last several years, I've switched to using Stevia to sweeten a bit and 1/2 and 1/2 for the creamy taste.  I add a pinch of cinnamon when brewing for flavor.  All in all, a much healthier option, IMO.

• Like 2