13 minutes ago, Orwar said:

What do you mean 'if' we could? We can.

You can save and load camera positions via script (as well as the one built-in camera position save slot which at least Firestorm has in the viewer itself). 

And those vehicle camera HUDs use your avatar's position as reference, they don't require you to be in a vehicle to use them (although they're obviously designed to be used with the vehicle, having a top-down-view with a 30 metre offset is great if you want to land a helicopter and don't have the balls to do it in mouselook - but that preset probably isn't going to be very useful for photography). 

I just tried using my helicopters camera HUD for camera positions. It only works if I am actually sitting in it. I don't know about other vehicles though.

I DO use saved camera positions, but only for posed shots (which I very rarely take). It's too slow to cycle through though in a RT situation though. As well. a positioner HUD is only usable for pics, not videos, since we can't get a "clean" screen for that unless the HUDs and UI are hidden. What I'm looking for is a camera positioner that has keyboard shortcuts. It would have to be built into the viewer itself though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I mean having cameras specifically for recording videos, while your avatar's camera still feeds displays at your preferred position.

You can SORT of do this now by using a second login, and using that login to "follow" another avatar with your camera. I've done it (followed someone with my camera) and forgotten, then wondered why my camera was "way over there"..

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

With multiple cameras, you could record multiple locations at once and later edit and combine them into one video, so if you wanted to have a chase scene in a machinema you could place cameras that are all recording in various locations around the road and then later while making the movie snip parts that you would like to combine to create the scene.

This is exactly what I'm talking about too!!!

It would be a very heavy load on our computers though, with each camera compressing separate video. 

AI might eventually come in handy to help with this kind of coding, and make it possible much faster than a human could, and without the need for powerful hardware.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You can SORT of do this now by using a second login, and using that login to "follow" another avatar with your camera. I've done it (followed someone with my camera) and forgotten, then wondered why my camera was "way over there"..

Absolutely. The only issue with this is video recording, since it all still has to be done using third party screen capture software. If our SL cameras were able able to record clean video, then we could switch back and forth with two logins to monitor, and not have our switching logins recorded in the video. This method would mostly be useful for machinima though, since we still have to actively take a snapshot for pics.

8 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about too!!!

It would be a very heavy load on our computers though, with each camera compressing separate video. 

AI might eventually come in handy to help with this kind of coding, and make it possible much faster than a human could, and without the need for powerful hardware.

I was surprised yesterday, when I was recording a clip to make an animated gif how much it slowed down my computer while recording.  I'm not sure if it was just Window's game bar, or perhaps that I only have 16gb of ram in this computer.  It really did slow it down to a grind though, while walking there was a lot of video stuttering.  On my less capable laptop I did not notice it nearly as much, but it also has more ram installed.  

I was wondering if I could use my CPU's built in GPU, to function separately as the camera but while looking at my FPS noticed it was still relatively high and I think it was mostly just low ram, and game bar might chew a lot of it up.  Plus my video card did not sound like a train with the fans spinning out of control 🤣 I should have opened my task manager to get a glimpse of how many resources were being used, but I was more interested in getting it done with and just moved locations and dropped my view distance.

I have briefly looked to see what the system requirements are for using a separate camera in vrchat,  but haven't found any yet. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

I was surprised yesterday, when I was recording a clip to make an animated gif how much it slowed down my computer while recording.  I'm not sure if it was just Window's game bar, or perhaps that I only have 16gb of ram in this computer.  It really did slow it down to a grind though, while walking there was a lot of video stuttering.  On my less capable laptop I did not notice it nearly as much, but it also has more ram installed.  

I was wondering if I could use my CPU's built in GPU, to function separately as the camera but while looking at my FPS noticed it was still relatively high and I think it was mostly just low ram, and game bar might chew a lot of it up.  Plus my video card did not sound like a train with the fans spinning out of control 🤣 I should have opened my task manager to get a glimpse of how many resources were being used, but I was more interested in getting it done with and just moved locations and dropped my view distance.

I have briefly looked to see what the system requirements are for using a separate camera in vrchat,  but haven't found any yet. 

The best method to record is to save the recording to a separate drive as it's doing it's thing . I have done this with OBS studio and it works wonders for stutter and lag. Also adding that capture software in the viewer might be problematic because there is open source stuff, but it could really add bloat to the viewer/installer.

Edited by Modulated
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

@Orwar I mean having cameras specifically for recording videos, while your avatar's camera still feeds displays at your preferred position.  In the video I had linked earlier, you see the avatar adjusting a second camera hovering off to his side, while he apparently is still looking from a first person perspective, what we are seeing is not what he is seeing (I imagine though he has a separate window displaying what the second camera is currently recording though)

Think of it like having a web cam, that you can adjust, while in real life you are looking through your own eyes.  The camera itself is recording from a different perspective than what you are seeing.  With multiple cameras, you could record multiple locations at once and later edit and combine them into one video, so if you wanted to have a chase scene in a machinema you could place cameras that are all recording in various locations around the road and then later while making the movie snip parts that you would like to combine to create the scene.

Ah, yeah I think if you want to drive a vehicle or such you'll need to film it via another viewer (preferably with another person piloting the camera), if you want to see where you're driving. For movement on foot there are some tools that might work but I never played around with them much as they were just frustrating. Haven't really figured out how to do Machinimas with avatars moving about. 

• Like 2

Such a long-standing peeve for me, buuuuuut:

Me: Aight, time to get some work done.

Me: *Digs around on YouTube for a livestreamed DJ mix to listen to before starting.*

Me: Okay, here we go. Time to work.

DJ: *bass drop*

Me for 2 minutes: No he di'nnnnnnnnnnnt just drop Kryptic Minds into this, unh, unh, unh

twerk-dance.gif

Oh, OHHH, and Flowdan on top? *sings for 5 minutes* 🎵COLD WHEN IT'S CRITICAL, COOL BUT CYNICAL, MAXED OUT NEVA MINIMAL, UNF, THAT'S HOW WE FUNCTION 🎶

tumblr_inline_mi6bxtbHpH1qz4rgp.gif

I really need a gig in music at this point. This is ridiculous, lol. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/28/2024 at 8:53 PM, Stephanie Misfit said:

Add to that, when the 300L single colour hair is flexi and only looks good from one angle.

Apparently this one particular creator thinks people will pay more just because that single color/single style hair is flexi.

Do people actually pay more for flexi hair? Enquiring minds want to know. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 4:43 PM, Lysistrata Szapira said:

Peeve: Hair stores at events trying to sell one style in one color ONLY for 300L.  C'mon, get off your bum and learn how to texture other colors.  If you can make one color look good, you can do more. You're just being greedy. I can go to the absolute best hair stores in SL and get a whole color pack for that amount of money. 

That just sounds like highway robbery. I paid one company 100L for a bunch of colors within the grayscale spectrum. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

Apparently this one particular creator thinks people will pay more just because that single color/single style hair is flexi.

Do people actually pay more for flexi hair? Enquiring minds want to know. 

Myself, only if it's used in the right way combined with mesh to give the mesh more body and life..

Otherwise flexi just looks like razor blades strands when it alpha glitches with itself as you scroll around it..

Just going to an event like Equal 10 and landing, flexi hair glitches hard with that transparent floor.. like only hair base showing but with a glow from the glitching. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Istelathis said:

16GB should be plenty.

If you have an Nvidia card use OBS with NVENC to record video, performance hit should be negligible (1-2fps) since the encoder is in hardware. You should be able to record/encode on the fly on pretty much any modern CPU with only minor performance hit though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Myself, only if it's used in the right way combined with mesh to give the mesh more body and life..

Otherwise flexi just looks like razor blades strands when it alpha glitches with itself as you scroll around it..

Just going to an event like Equal 10 and landing, flexi hair glitches hard with that transparent floor.. like only hair base showing but with a glow from the glitching. LOL

Flexi hair is absolutely horrid with all the problems and glitches, however, I kind of get why it's still a thing. 

I demoed some in recent history as I was curious to try some new hairstyles out. Flexi is very much still popular with those trying to create extremely long (chest to waist-length) and very thick textured and/or curly styles that simulate real-life weaves and synthetic and human hair extensions. That would probably look hideous if done with mesh. Actually, I have seen one creator attempt something like that in mesh (and other types of textured hair in general) and it was...a thing. Some texture types are doable in mesh, but we're talking like 3b/3c/4a+ (tight curls and corkscrews) and that just looks so much better in flexi.

As for the pricing, I dunno what that's about, but those hairstyles are always in the 400L+ range for single colors. I haven't made hair in a bazillion years and I was solely working with prims, so I don't know how challenging something like that actually is to do. I'd imagine it's not fun with all those dang curls.

The unfortunate thing is due to SL wonkiness, the hair looks absolutely GORGEOUUUUS if you're standing still or taking photos, only. Move, tho... 😭Peeve (I'd rock em if I could!).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Flexi hair is absolutely horrid with all the problems and glitches, however, I kind of get why it's still a thing. 

I demoed some in recent history as I was curious to try some new hairstyles out. Flexi is very much still popular with those trying to create extremely long (chest to waist-length) and very thick textured and/or curly styles that simulate real-life weaves and synthetic and human hair extensions. That would probably look hideous if done with mesh. Actually, I have seen one creator attempt something like that in mesh (and other types of textured hair in general) and it was...a thing. Some texture types are doable in mesh, but we're talking like 3b/3c/4a+ (tight curls and corkscrews) and that just looks so much better in flexi.

As for the pricing, I dunno what that's about, but those hairstyles are always in the 400L+ range for single colors. I haven't made hair in a bazillion years and I was solely working with prims, so I don't know how challenging something like that actually is to do. I'd imagine it's not fun with all those dang curls.

The unfortunate thing is due to SL wonkiness, the hair looks absolutely GORGEOUUUUS if you're standing still or taking photos, only. Move, tho... 😭Peeve (I'd rock em if I could!).

I was surprised that my newest hair (that goes with the "cat hair") was flexi. And, glad that it didn't have the same alpha-sorting glitches as some of my old flexi hair (I realize that's unrelated to the hair being flexi). 

Peeve: I sure hope there's a plan to fix flexi with the new Mobile viewer, I can't be the only person testing that who wants to wear their flexi hair and clothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Ya, anything flex that I wear has to be above the shoulders and doesn't clip into my face.. I'm too OCD about clipping and fit of just about anything really..

There are some nice styles that I wish they had them in mesh instead of flexi, but many times just end up being flexi and my heart drops.. hehehe

This is one that I do wear a lot and it has it's alpha glitch moments when it gets infront of a window or something like that.. But it really doesn't do it in front of all windows for some reason.. I think a lot has to do on the angle of the curls not lining up to glitch with some things.. but sometimes it will glitch hard like in the image below.. Even my bangs will glitch infront of some transparencies, where other times they won't..

But on the left you can see the mesh base which the flexi is sitting on.. I do love this style and loved finding the bangs I have for it now.. It's costly in rez points , but I usually keep my points lower when wearing these kinds of hairs, unless I'm taking pictures or something..

These are my guilty pleasures where I'll build around the hair just to be able to wear them.. LOL

Flexipony.thumb.png.17556c76076e99f49f064de84997680e.png

Then this other one that is really costly in rez points.. But it's good for pictures... That or the beach where I'm wearing way less things.. hehehe

FroJo.thumb.png.396ffc0f2ed332de88440fce6061600c.png

These are more for me than anything and just about any style of any kind that I get, I always think of how it will work in pictures more than how it will look say, on the runway. but still has to be able to move around with it in the world as well.. But pictures come first then moving around world second.. hehehe

I wish we had better options for flowing strands and hair.. something where hair would bounce off of us rather than slice into us..

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

If it were modifiable, it can be any color you want.

As long as they put a really nice white in there which opens up the world of colors..

I love that some do that, where others just know they'd lose out on sales..

Most all hair could be mod like the good ole days, but for some reason, creators fell into the looop of it being the norm now rather than the old norm..

Honestly, I think mod hair, they would get more sales in styles, rather than trying to get us to get each color.. hehehe

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ya, anything flex that I wear has to be above the shoulders and doesn't clip into my face.. I'm too OCD about clipping and fit of just about anything really..

There are some nice styles that I wish they had them in mesh instead of flexi, but many times just end up being flexi and my heart drops.. hehehe

This is one that I do wear a lot and it has it's alpha glitch moments when it gets infront of a window or something like that.. But it really doesn't do it in front of all windows for some reason.. I think a lot has to do on the angle of the curls not lining up to glitch with some things.. but sometimes it will glitch hard like in the image below.. Even my bangs will glitch infront of some transparencies, where other times they won't..

But on the left you can see the mesh base which the flexi is sitting on.. I do love this style and loved finding the bangs I have for it now.. It's costly in rez points , but I usually keep my points lower when wearing these kinds of hairs, unless I'm taking pictures or something..

These are my guilty pleasures where I'll build around the hair just to be able to wear them.. LOL

Flexipony.thumb.png.17556c76076e99f49f064de84997680e.png

Then this other one that is really costly in rez points.. But it's good for pictures... That or the beach where I'm wearing way less things.. hehehe

FroJo.thumb.png.396ffc0f2ed332de88440fce6061600c.png

These are more for me than anything and just about any style of any kind that I get, I always think of how it will work in pictures more than how it will look say, on the runway. but still has to be able to move around with it in the world as well.. But pictures come first then moving around world second.. hehehe

I wish we had better options for flowing strands and hair.. something where hair would bounce off of us rather than slice into us..

Yeaaah, that's exactly the kind of hair I'm talking about, except imagine it reaching the middle of your back or lower, so no real mesh to speak of. BOM hairbase and flexi only. It's gorgeous and they absolutely nailed the look (looks exactly the same in RL), but the way SL works, it's just hard to pull it off.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

As long as they put a really nice white in there which opens up the world of colors..

I love that some do that, where others just know they'd lose out on sales..

Most all hair could be mod like the good ole days, but for some reason, creators fell into the looop of it being the norm now rather than the old norm..

Honestly, I think mod hair, they would get more sales in styles, rather than trying to get us to get each color.. hehehe

I love modifiable hair. Light blonde or grey can be recolored. I usually buy browns for Persephone, but I like to tint it with a little red. I hate hair covering my eyes, but with some hair I can make that piece transparent. I even copied newer scripts from Escaleted hair into older hair, so the older hair could use their newer color HUDs. I had to rename the pieces of the hair though, so that was alot of work.

My hair from Escalated, No.Match and Mina is usually tintable. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yeaaah, that's exactly the kind of hair I'm talking about, except imagine it reaching the middle of your back or lower, so no real mesh to speak of. BOM hairbase and flexi only. It's gorgeous and they absolutely nailed the look (looks exactly the same in RL), but the way SL works, it's just hard to pull it off.

Omg there are so many Flexi styles that I wish were mesh.. I see such nice styles any time I go shopping and am like, That has to be flexi, it's too nice and perfect for me!! \o/

I would be in heaven if they came up with some fix or work around that would have flexi bouncing off of us.. Something like a bald cap, but n upper body cap for our bodies that flexi repelled against when it met it.. hehehehe

That or some way to limit the flow where it stops short.. Just something.. hehehe

C'mon LL you can do it!! \o/

hehehe

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I love modifiable hair. Light blonde or grey can be recolored. I usually buy browns for Persephone, but I like to tint it with a little red. I hate hair covering my eyes, but with some hair I can make that piece transparent. I even copied newer scripts from Escaleted hair into older hair, so the older hair could use their newer color HUDs. I had to rename the pieces of the hair though, so that was alot of work.

My hair from Escalated, No.Match and Mina is usually tintable. 

Omg I really miss mod hair.. Being able to just delete parts for hats or work the colors..

I remember doing this picture and having to hunt for hair, then remembered, I would have usually used mod hair for something like this and break it down into strands..

So I did that instead of looking for the perfect fit.. Because sometimes that's all we need is a few strands.. hehehe

Also, we can deal more with the alpha glitching with our brows and lashes, when hair is mod as well..

52381750586_f1280f8af8_k.jpg

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I remember doing this picture and having to hunt for hair, then remembered, I would have usually used mod hair for something like this and break it down into strands..

I remember the "Tank Grrl" picture, I forgot it was you!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I remember the "Tank Grrl" picture, I forgot it was you!

Ya, That took me like a week of prep just to find everything, From the weather machine to the hair and all the little things and accessories..

The hair was the last things I think.

This was one of the full images which shows all the things I had to get for it..

A lot of these things will never be made for Lara X, but could find them and still find more things made for Lara V 5.3..

This is the main reason I will never get rid of my Lara V5.3.. There is just too many goodies for that body. :)

In my eyes, this is what makes it still the best body on the grid.

52381750711_2a4f71a2f6_k.jpg

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 5