Makes you wonder why people are such .. jerks

Kate Ayashi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is why I distrust people so much here!!!

I've been through some stupid trolling and heartbreak, but nothing like this stunt ...

I come back after a RL trip, and pop over to my sim. Not my home, but my elaborately decorated and themed sim. 4096 of nicely designed gardens and club. And its destroyed. Every item has been moved thrown into the air, twisted, flipped, destroyed. The entire sim. Took weeks of designing to get it right.

Sadly for whoever pulled this stunt (mom must have let you out of the basement) I have two things: one, only my group members could have done it. Two? I have a hidden security orb that records everyone who steps foot on the parcel. I have 14 names to go through. I will find you. I will report you for griefing. I will get you kicked from SL.

I promise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 11

14 minutes ago, Kate Ayashi said:

I've been through some stupid trolling and heartbreak, but nothing like this stunt ...

I come back after a RL trip, and pop over to my sim. Not my home, but my elaborately decorated and themed sim. 4096 of nicely designed gardens and club. And its destroyed. Every item has been moved thrown into the air, twisted, flipped, destroyed. The entire sim. Took weeks of designing to get it right.

Sadly for whoever pulled this stunt (mom must have let you out of the basement) I have two things: one, only my group members could have done it. Two? I have a hidden security orb that records everyone who steps foot on the parcel. I have 14 names to go through. I will find you. I will report you for griefing. I will get you kicked from SL.

I promise.

Um..ok.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Kate Ayashi said:

That sounds terrible and can understand the frustration and anger having that happen. Does S/L not have backups that can be run to restore it to a previous condition? Not familiar with how that works here but other grids have such an option available that I have had to use in past for a similar circumstance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Oh sweetie, so sorry to hear this! I know you're one of the cool people here and will get it sorted. Please don't give up.

:)I sure hope the guy who did this doesn't know you actually are a second level black belt in karate.

And it was a guy, no doubt in my mind. SL can be rather "immature" at times.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2

I'd strongly suggest you lock down permissions as you rebuild. Keep ownership of the objects and simply set them to the land group. Don't share or deed them or anything like that. Only give group members the minimum powers they need for their role. You can lock out the ability to return objects set to group, for example.

Outside of some people being jerks, some people are prone to randomly causing disasters, so the fewer build rights they have the better.

You won't get anywhere with a report as you can't demonstrate that it was done maliciously and it's not part of ongoing harassment. Most likely the support people will explain what I've just said about the permissions system. What you might be able to do is get the region rolled back if you own the whole thing (if you just have a parcel on it, you're most likely out of luck).

• Like 12

I'm sorry this happened to you.

If your land and objects were set to group, you can narrow down the list of culprits down to someone who belongs to the same group.  It's a sad fact that this sort of behaviour is most often carried out by someone whom the victim thought was a trusted friend or partner.

Anyway if it's only recently happened (after last week's region restarts - Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on which channel your region is on), I suggest putting in a support ticket and ask the Lindens for a region rollback. Or, if you're on private estate land, you can ask the estate owner to do it.  This will re-set the region to the way it was at the last re-start, with all your buid intact.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kate Ayashi said:

What Lewis advised...a roll-back might fix it all. Then, think about the people in your group and ponder why each of them as added. Perhaps you can make a new group, one that is made up of those closest to you or created by you. It's also possible that an angry outsider with tricks managed to crash the sim..can be done, has been done. Might not be one person in your group. Sorry for what you are going through. But, in the end, it's SL so it can be done over..and locked down.

9 hours ago, Kate Ayashi said:

I promise.

Who has rights to edit your stuff? I'd start there.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I suggest putting in a support ticket and ask the Lindens for a region rollback.

not very likely they will grant this, because in spite of calling it a sim, the words after the use of that word tell it's "only" 4096 parcel.

I think the real mistake in this matter is the permissions set to the parcel/objects. 
And if somebody will be able to misuse that, there will be somebody really do that..

• Like 2

Remove the rights of all the group because the worst kind of morons are calculating and deceitful , the innocent know they didn't do it so will struggle to prove it , but the guilty has a fully prepared alibi and a plan to put the blame on someone else . Like as not they will be the most sympathetic and determined to find the culprit .

I witnessed one such person destroy a very popular sim with whispers turning everyone against each other while playing the innocent and easily upset and gaining promotion every step of the way .

As i understand it joint owners of over 10 years went their separate ways because one still supports the scum while the other evidently worked out that all sackings , bannings , people quitting , the general demise of the club all had one common factor in the origins . Took about 3 years though .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

not very likely they will grant this, because in spite of calling it a sim, the words after the use of that word tell it's "only" 4096 parcel.

I think the real mistake in this matter is the permissions set to the parcel/objects. 
And if somebody will be able to misuse that, there will be somebody really do that..

They can, and sometimes do. I once got a rollback on a mainland region (on which I currently own about 1/6th of it, though it was less back then).  

13 hours ago, Kate Ayashi said:

I promise.

That's desperate 😕.  I have a friend who gave me full permission to edit all his objects. He has a sim and i rent a little skybox. I thought wtf. Waaaay too trusting. Now I worry how many other people he has given these permissions to. That image is going to give me nightmares.

12 hours ago, Kate Ayashi said:

ruined.thumb.jpg.78559f4289f6f9df18241426ea275fdb.jpg

Just my opinion and not for sure, but it looks like somebody has selected all your objects on the sim, taken them to inventory, them re-rezzed them as a single object. I did that a few times with my own skybox builds by mistake...it is a pain! 😖

15 hours ago, Kate Ayashi said:

I promise.

This may be cynical in a different way, but: I kind of hope it turns out that someone stole your trusted group member's account, and they did it (not your group member).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kate Ayashi said:

I promise.

This happened to the build of Notre Dame de Cyberie in the land preserve. I had the original version of it deeded to the group because it was sold together with land and I "bought for group". I left it to enable different people in the group to work on it. This "collective building" idea was always touted by oldbies and Lindens but it's actually a terrible, terrible thing to do in SL. Never, ever use "deed" or "share" with group on a build. Even if you have group roles set with different powers, "share" overrides the bar on a group not to return prims from group land.

So someone (I have a good idea of who), enraged about criticism of their scorn of intellectual property rights and other issues, or possibly some random griefer, came and did exactly what you described to us -- separated all the pieces (way more of them because it was the old days of only 10 m limitations) in this huge cathedral and scattered them up in the sky and under the ground and some went off sim. 

So this was one of the only two times in the history of my SL (18 years) that I was able to get the Lindens to roll the sim back in time.  They hate doing that on the Mainland because then other people's builds can get disrupted. But there wasn't a lot happening on this sim at the time so they did it. I still had to hire a builder to work on putting it back together better. Now I'm left with a different problem -- the build is set to group, but it's in her possession, because she was in that school of builders who felt that even if she were paid for a build, she shouldn't turn over the ownership (with her own textures in some cases) to the client. Another bad idea. Now, I insist that all work for hire be turned over to me with full perms even if it costs more.

So you might try asking the Lindens to set the sim back in time.

You will be unlikely to get them to ban the person from SL but do try to AR them anyway.

@StrykerHawk The task with hacking in general and vandalism of this nature is not to ask why the owner "didn't lock down security" -- which tends to be never enough in SL and isn't the point anyway -- but to ask why hackers and vandals do this with impunity, and why their peers -- especially those with technical knowledge often deployed to do such things -- don't condemn them roundly and police their own ranks. 

@belindacarson Apparently you've never had this happen to you, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone even for the sake of them acquiring empathy.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Modulated said:

Welp my response was because the OP is using this thread like some sort of blog, its not about anything really. Like what's the point of posting this here? I dunno . Bad it happened but complain to someone who can fix it maybe?

giphy.gif

And you felt the need to expand on your first comment......why? 

Welp my response was because the OP is using this thread like some sort of blog, its not about anything really. Like what's the point of posting this here? I dunno . Bad it happened but complain to someone who can fix it maybe?

giphy.gif

Because useful discussion is useful!

• Haha 1

While it's true that no one here can fix it, the post here accomplished two ends. First, the OP got some much-needed sympathy. Second, there have been several useful suggestions here about how to prevent it happening again.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Lindal Kidd said:

While it's true that no one here can fix it, the post here accomplished two ends. First, the OP got some much-needed sympathy. Second, there have been several useful suggestions here about how to prevent it happening again.

Exactly.

"No one here can fix" any of the things we regulars gripe about on this page, but that doesn't seem to stop us.

And speaking as the manager of a couple of parcels that have been griefed, I found some of the information here useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.