Makes you wonder why people are such .. jerks

Kate Ayashi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

32 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's not the way a rollback works.  A rollback uses the backup records in the region servers to create a clone of the region as it was at a previous time.  The clone replaces the "damaged" current version. There is no poking around to see what's missing or where things belong. Nothing from the damaged version is moved around; everything is completely removed and replaced by the cloned version.  So if the "damaged" version is missing some things that an unscrupulous person has taken into her inventory, no one else knows. The evidence vanishes when the damaged version is replaced by the clone.  A rollback is rolling the clock back, just like Groundhog Day.

I know what a backup is, just giving you an idea how your objection to such could be worked around to everyone's satisfaction with little fuss. In the case of the OP, I'm sure she would be more then happy if everything was back in place in the way she left it, regardless of what particular workflow accomplishes that. My point is that considering S/L's longevity and cost, they could have easily put such a thing in place for those times a region or parcel is griefed. Certainly easy enough to do In Opensim where the typical region cost is 1/20th of the cost of an S/L region. Shouldn't one be able to expect that the Lab would warrant such an expense by giving superior service?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I know what a backup is, just giving you an idea how your objection to such could be worked around to everyone's satisfaction with little fuss. In the case of the OP, I'm sure she would be more then happy if everything was back in place in the way she left it, regardless of what particular workflow accomplishes that. My point is that considering S/L's longevity and cost, they could have easily put such a thing in place for those times a region or parcel is griefed. Certainly easy enough to do In Opensim where the typical region cost is 1/20th of the cost of an S/L region. Shouldn't one be able to expect that the Lab would warrant such an expense by giving superior service?

And you were told that it couldn't be done that way as THATS NOT HOW THAT WORKS. A backup is exactly what Rolig said. It rolls the sim back to a specified date. EVERYTHING on the sim goes back how it was on that date. I do not believe they can do just a  parcel, which means everyone's stuff rolls back to that date. So if I had spent hours landscaping and building, all of a sudden all of my work would be gone. Hence why LL is very cautious about doing rollbacks. 

I'm sorry to have to point this out, but you spout off time and time again with these ideas that just cant be done. You seem to think that things are as simple as pushing a button or flipping a switch. Such as the acquisition of Caspervend, you came off as believing that it would be integrated within a few hours. It takes months to integrate one business into another. Even if they are the same type of company. I worked for a debt collection office, we bought the smaller office next to ours and it took almost half a year to integrate their accounts with ours. 

Edited by Drake1 Nightfire
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Nope. What you are suggesting would be dramatically more work. A rollback doesn't have to bother with asking where things are now.  It doesn't have to move anything.  All it has to do is wipe the slate clean and plop yesterday's region right down in its place.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Nope. What you are suggesting would be dramatically more work. A rollback doesn't have to bother with asking where things are now.  It doesn't have to move anything.  All it has to do is wipe the slate clean and plop yesterday's region right down in its place.

Yes but as you pointed out already with your objection, there is that possibility of gaming the standard rollback with no copy items. So my idea is a workaround to avoid that and yet still put the items back in their original position. Getting hungup on what a rollback should look like rather then the use of whatever restorative method accomplishes that end. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

And you were told that it couldn't be done that way as THATS NOT HOW THAT WORKS. A backup is exactly what Rolig said. It rolls the sim back to a specified date. EVERYTHING on the sim goes back how it was on that date. I do not believe they can do just a  parcel, which means everyone's stuff rolls back to that date. So if I had spent hours landscaping and building, all of a sudden all of my work would be gone. Hence why LL is very cautious about doing rollbacks. 

I'm sorry to have to point this out, but you spout off time and time again with these ideas that just cant be done. You seem to think that things are as simple as pushing a button or flipping a switch. Such as the acquisition of Caspervend, you came off as believing that it would be integrated within a few hours. It takes months to integrate one business into another. Even if they are the same type of company. I worked for a debt collection office, we bought the smaller office next to ours and it took almost half a year to integrate their accounts with ours. 

You must be thinking of someone else on the Caspervend thread as I made no posts on their integration as it does not concern me as a consumer.

You and Rolig can tell me whatever you want but that doesn't mean it is correct. I don't know much but I have administered grids and sims in Opensim for 13+ years as well as sat in the server dev meetings for almost as long. Even by osmosis, I have a fair idea of what is possible with the server commands which though they are OPS focused, must have parallels in S/L for the server techs to be able to administrate the grid properly. This is the majority of them but there are more for rollbacks with displacement in both the x, y coordinates as well z.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Server_Commands

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Archives 

If S/L doesn't have these capabilities (though I think they would) They could easily add them for better customer service. In any case, in this situation there are workarounds, which is sometimes the way it has to be done.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You must be thinking of someone else on the Caspervend thread as I made no posts on their integration as it does not concern me as a consumer.

You and Rolig can tell me whatever you want but that doesn't mean it is correct. I don't know much but I have administered grids and sims in Opensim for 13+ years as well as sat in the server dev meetings for almost as long. Even by osmosis, I have a fair idea of what is possible with the server commands which though they are OPS focused, must have parallels in S/L for the server techs to be able to administrate the grid properly. This is the majority of them but there are more for rollbacks with displacement in both the x, y coordinates as well z.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Server_Commands

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Archives 

If S/L doesn't have these capabilities (though I think they would) They could easily add them for better customer service. In any case, in this situation there are workarounds, which is sometimes the way it has to be done.

You posted that you heard about the acquisition and immediately jumped on the Caspervend website and tried to plug in your SL name and password for SL as you thought they would be part of LL already and your LL info would work. 

Edited by Drake1 Nightfire
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You posted that you heard about the acquisition and immediately jumped on the Caspervend website and tried to plug in your SL name and password for SL as you thought they would be part of LL already and your LL info would work. 

I explained what happened, if you didn't understand it, which you seem not to, oh well. It's off topic anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I explained what happened, if you didn't understand it, which you seem not to, oh well. It's off topic anyway.

Perhaps some of the confusion is that you didn't seem to fully admit that the mistake you made was completely your fault, in trying the wrong login. It left me, at least, with the feeling that you were still "blaming" CasperVend for some login issue that was completely and totally your fault, and a misunderstanding on your part. 

Of course, it could be just me!

Thank you for your interesting contributions to this thread.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.