Stupid topic not about trees but about songs and stuff

Seicher Rae

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While researching* before posting this, I learned that Barbara Walters never actually asked Katherine Hepburn, "If you were a tree..."  This is very much like "Play it again, Sam!" was never said, but everyone thinks it was. What happened was that Hepburn said she felt strong, like a tree, in her old age. Walters asked what kind of tree. Stuff of legends!  That has nothing much to do with this topic, but I thought it was interesting.

Two questions. Answer either or both! There will be no cookies of any kind offered as incentive. You may get some highly valued Reputation Points!

1) What would be your avatar's theme song?

2) What song would best describe your experiences in SL?

PLEASE NOTE: This is NOT about your favorite song. You may even hate the song, but it might describe things well! If you can post directly with links (YouTube etc) please?

Your songs may vary depending upon the period of time you are describing, your alts, your...

This is a stupid topic! Have fun with it. Post often!

I will post mine below. I know, you can hardly wait!

*I really did! There may have been copious amounts of adult beverage involved.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 6

I have an avatar of many moods, so there may be a few posts. :)  (I have mentioned elsewhere about copious amounts of wine, fruit flies, and a bad day, in case you are wondering "wtf Seicher, this is weird even for you?" )

1) My avatar's theme song is Tubthumping. This is so not a favorite song (although it is great for doing housework). But my avatar is me in SL, and this is pretty much it these days.

2) My avatar's experience in SL? There have been many but this song (below) sprang instantly to my sodden brain.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

While researching* before posting this, I learned that Barbara Walters never actually asked Katherine Hepburn, "If you were a tree..."  This is very much like "Play it again, Sam!" was never said, but everyone thinks it was. What happened was that Hepburn said she felt strong, like a tree, in her old age. Walters asked what kind of tree. Stuff of legends!  That has nothing much to do with this topic, but I thought it was interesting.

LOL at the title of this thread.  I remember that interview and Hepburn did answer "an oak tree, it's very pretty" or something like that after Walters asked "'what kind of tree are you". 

Oddly, "Moon River" came to me for mine and I say "oddly" because it was sung by another Hepburn.  Weird.  But, I'd pick "Moon River" for both.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am sitting up since the moon arose last night

Putting down a fire again and again and keeping it lit

The family is in bed and here am I by myself,

The cocks are crowing and the country is asleep but me. 

I love your mouth, your eyebrows and your cheeks

Your bright blue eyes for whose sake I stopped hunting the wily fox

In longing for you I cannot see to walk the road

Friend of my bosom, the mountains lie between me and you. 

Learned men say that love is a fatal sickness

I never admitted it until now that my heart is broken:

It's a very painful illness, alas, I have not avoided it,

And it sends a hundred arrows through the core of my heart.

I met a banshee at the Rath of Ballina

I asked her would any key unlock the love in my heart

And she said in soft simple language

"When love enters the heart it will never be driven from it".

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 5

Well, my "theme" song is actually more aspirational than accurate, really.

REM's Monster came out just as I was really sort of hitting my stride personally, as an undergrad, and sexually, and this song became a sort of personal theme that I carried with me into SL for some reason when I joined. I used to half-fantasize about being someone's "crush with eyeliner" . . . and what woman wouldn't want to be thought of sometimes as "three miles of bad road"? I think I connected this song with SL because there is a connection to assumed identity (here, imagined in a very negative way): "We all invent ourselves . . ."

My SL has been many things over the years, but a common thread through it all has been dancing. When I was a noob feeling a bit ignored at the social place I used to hang out, I'd dance on the roof of the coffee house -- and sometimes get joined there with others. Occasionally we'd end up with impromptu dance parties there. And clubs and dancing continue to be an important part of what I do here.

Thinking of a song about dancing, I nearly went for the Arctic Monkey's "I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor," but chose "Deceptacon" instead, because Kathleen F******* Hanna.

"Wanna disco? Wanna see me disco? / Let me hear you depoliticize my rhyme"

• Like 4

I'd be a Larch, because of Monty Python.

Wait, songs? That's harder. Probably a mantra (kirtan), the only video clip isn't one I'd share.

Oh, "normal songs"? Sheesh, this is hard.

In the 70's I was old enough but don't recall having "favorite songs".

In the 80's, probably Bowie's "Life on Mars"

In the 90's, probably something Metal but melodic.

In the 2000's up until today, probably quite a few Japanese Rock songs by L'arc~en~Ciel. 

• Like 1

The song I would choose is for both questions. 

I feel I've had more control over my Second Life than my real life.

And any husbands/partners I've had in Second Life have ended up dead (at least to me), although I have only poisoned them with my personality or run them over with an SL car that can't actually kill them, and have you ever tried throwing a Second Life hairdryer into a bath tub? Just doesn't work.

• Like 5

1) My avatar's song -  “Rat’s Revenge” by The Rats…actually, the first time I heard this was in the SL club Transmission where the DJ dedicated it to me after I TP'd in 🙂 I love the bits where they burst out laughing…it sounds like they’re making it up as they go along but having lots of fun 😎

2) This won’t make sense to most people but this makes me think of SL so much, it's my no. 1 soundtrack for driving past SL shopping malls with big flashy ad boards  and vampires hanging around 🙂 Also, the 'Drive' soundtrack...but mostly this...I still have a pair of vaporwave unicorns inworld...

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.