What is the purpose of life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 hours ago, THEHERO Snowfall said:

What is the purpose of life and why were we born.

I haven't got a scooby! I am still trying to make sense of my new washing machine settings 😐

15 hours ago, THEHERO Snowfall said:

B.We are living to learn all we can only to die and take that knowledge with us.

This is why I love books...it's amazing you can read something somebody wrote 300 years ago, who is long dead and gone, and it's like they're there talking to you and you can relate 💗 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I for one, choose not to share the meaning of life that I follow (from philosophy). Most people see things differently. That's why I'm kind of quiet in this thread. 

It's my least favorite question. Right up there with why is a raven like a writing desk? Wait I lie...I'd rather debate the raven one. Plus, the Mad Hatter rocks.

• Like 3

Hilarious. You get born more or less at random, you exist for a bit and might well pass on a bit of random yourself and then you cease to exist apart from component bits.  Thats it thats all - game over :)

What you do with your brief spell is up to you. Was nothing before. There ain't nothing after.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

The radio show came before the book and is loads better. . .

I doubt many here have ever heard the radio show.

I did get to hear the audio tapes before I ever read the book. Later I saw the movie. So, I guess your point is we may not have any readers here...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I doubt many here have ever heard the radio show.

I did get to hear the audio tapes before I ever read the book. Later I saw the movie. So, I guess your point is we may not have any readers here...

Must be because I do all the reading. Every day. Several hours a day. 🙄

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Hilarious. You get born more or less at random, you exist for a bit and might well pass on a bit of random yourself and then you cease to exist apart from component bits.  Thats it thats all - game over :)

What you do with your brief spell is up to you. Was nothing before. There ain't nothing after.

I will live on forever though my art and other artists here will as well become immortal through their art. My physical art is all over the world. My electronic art might live on longer than forever.

Edited by Paulsian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To reach a state of pure contentment by creating exquisite personal adornment items/art that may last millennia.
To use the newest, most advanced precision technologies to make -> the most ancient kind of stuff possible.lolgif62074390805.gif.ecd73ef18c21994951ed07ad20ea7765.gif😍
To gain kudos and admiration from your fellow specimens, hence, profit from same. (monetarily & mentally).
To witness fellow specimens attribute ethereal qualities and intangible beliefs to your works. (as intended). 
To rule ze vorld, quietly, lovingly and humbly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It was literally the 3rd thing in the instructional manual, sorry .. I don't read them anymore.

Oh geez, now I'm just 3rd rate. Now what I do with that manual... oh yeah here it is. *pulls out several old bulky issues of Whole Earth Catalog including the one with David Ray Divine Right.

The meaning of life is to give life meaning.

To paraphrase the writer Nabikov, life is simply a brief flash of existence bookended by two eternal vast periods of dark non-existence.

Use that incredibly brief and remarkably lucky moment of existence wisely.

And on a purely physiological level, the purpose of all life is to procreate. Make more of itself.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

The meaning of life is to give life meaning.

And on a purely physiological level, the purpose of all life is to procreate. Make more of itself.

The meaning of life is what you make of it, you can make it the worst for you or you can make it the best for you. That is literally the meaning of life. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Oh geez, now I'm just 3rd rate. Now what I do with that manual... oh yeah here it is. *pulls out several old bulky issues of Whole Earth Catalog including the one with David Ray Divine Right.

And his trusty VW microbus, Urge. The continuing saga in the footnotes! They made a book out of his story.  I really liked it.

• Like 1

Nicolas Cage explained this to Cher in Moonstruck. 🌙 ❤️ 

Ronny Cammareri: Loretta, I love you. Not like they told you love is, and I didn't know this either, but love don't make things nice - it ruins everything. It breaks your heart. It makes things a mess. We aren't here to make things perfect. The snowflakes are perfect. The stars are perfect. Not us. Not us! We are here to ruin ourselves and to break our hearts and love the wrong people and *die*. The storybooks are *bull 💩”. Now I want you to come upstairs with me and *get* in my bed!”

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Many say the meaning of life is, 42

Sure, but this poster was asking about the purpose.  Can we deduce purpose from meaning?

We know 42 is "40 + 2" and "7 X 6" and according to the transitive properties of multiplication, it is therefore also "6 x 7", and that this is barely scratching the surface of what is known of 42, because it's also"53 - 1"  and "(5 X 10) - 8" and, well, it's a lot of different things that are the same thing.  

Still, for all we know of 42 we must consider that knowing is not always understanding.  Perhaps comprehension is the purpose - are we here to understand the meaning of life, to truly comprehend 42, is that our purpose?

If that is the case, it would make a lot sense because it turns out, I'm terrible with numbers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.