What is the purpose of life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today, as I sat at my desk, I contemplate life and one of its biggest question. What is the purpose of life and why were we born. Why live if we know it is only going to end one day,by some form of death.

Some examples on why I believe we live

A. We only live to work so we may make money then inevitably die.
B.We are living to learn all we can only to die and take that knowledge with us.
C.We are merely living for our family, whether our biological family or those we choose as our family, then we die.
D. We live only to struggle our whole life then die. 

I want to know why, I am unable to truly define the meaning. Our creator, whatever god you choose to believe in, does not give us the answer to this question. Why would he not tell us why he made our life seemingly so short and limited. It seems maybe someone is toying with our lives, with us.

Do you perhaps know an answer? I would love to hear your opinions on this question.

Thank you in advance for your participation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Many say the meaning of life is, 42

My opinion is, the meaning of life, destiny, purpose and all those kinds of things are human inventions..Many of us only see at eye level..

We're probably the only thing on the planet that thinks about that kind of stuff..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Life has no meaning, it's purpose in the grand scheme of things is as simple as to perpetuate the survival of our species through leaving behind offspring that can repeat the cycle. What you do with your life is up to you, there are various means to pursuit happiness and pleasure - or you can refuse yourself the joys of life and hope that your imaginary friend will let you into his place when you die. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The universal answer regardless of creed , colour , race , religion , sex or any of the other falsely dividing factors is to improve our own life in any way we can .

Shame the majority fail to understand that the easiest route to that goal is often to assist others along that same path .

What goes around comes around .

Edited by cunomar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, THEHERO Snowfall said:

Do you perhaps know an answer? I would love to hear your opinions on this question.

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Nobody has an answer to this question. Life is lived. Nobody knows why.

Those who say they do lie.

Edited by Solo Alpha
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, THEHERO Snowfall said:

A. We only live to work so we may make money then inevitably die.
B.We are living to learn all we can only to die and take that knowledge with us.
C.We are merely living for our family, whether our biological family or those we choose as our family, then we die.
D. We live only to struggle our whole life then die. 

A. You might want to change your lifestyle if all you do is work to make money.

B. Write down the knowledge you've gained, share it with others, pass it down to the next generation. That's literally one of the main reasons why we are at this technological state.

C. Again, change your lifestyle, if you only live for the sake of others then you really need to begin looking after your own wellbeing.

D. Every living thing on the planet struggles. Animals struggle to find food. 

Turn the negative into positive. It may sound difficult or even impossible, but if you set your mind on it and not give up you can turn it around into something beautiful and memorable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, THEHERO Snowfall said:

Our creator, whatever god you choose to believe in, does not give us the answer to this question

agree with Phil

this statement is incorrect. Every religion that has a creator, also tells of the creator's purpose in giving life to its creations, and the purpose of the creations in using that life

we may not like what that purpose is, nor may we like what the adherents of that creator believe and do. And we can not accept there is a creator even. But we can't say that that creator's purpose is unknown

Edited by Mollymews
in

Life in general is there to witness the existence of the universe.
Without any form of life, the universe would just be there, totally unnoticed, irrelevant, meaningless.
That is why I believe the universe is full of life, not only our planet.
When religious one could say, to witness God's creation.

Individual lives are there to reproduce and live the life you got, until death follows.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, THEHERO Snowfall said:

I want to know why, I am unable to truly define the meaning. Our creator, whatever god you choose to believe in, does not give us the answer to this question. Why would he not tell us why he made our life seemingly so short and limited. It seems maybe someone is toying with our lives, with us.

The meaning and purpose of life is to know that there is a God and it isn't me. Through that, one can work to experience hope for tomorrow, even if today is the last day on this side of the veil. The journey to that last day meanwhile is a time of seasons to experience and grow through.

• Haha 1

I've been pondering this, on and off, for decades now. The most probable answer that I can come up with, is, that the only purpose is the one, or the ones, that we give it, and that's good enough for me, by now, I've made my peace with it.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.