What don't you know about in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 872 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been in SL since 2006 but if you asked me how roleplaying worked I couldn't tell you a damn thing. How can I best landscape the outdoor landscape on a parcel? Don't ask me cause I'm clueless. I also don't know anything about attending those in-world Linden meetings. They have those right?

What don't you know about Second Life?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Β  Β Scripting. I've played around with scripts a lot, managed to make a few fun things with it, but I still don't understand one bit of it - as far as I'm concerned, it's all arcane mumbo-jumbo which only works if Lady Luck decides to favour you.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

1. Making Animations. I struggled with getting animations to work in prim furniture. I have no idea how people make them or put them in furniture now.

2. Where to get good clothes and stuff for male avatars. I only know a few stores, groups and events.

3. Scripting. I can modify a simple script, take them out, and replace one with a similar script.

4. Selling stuff on MP or in general. I signed up for a MP store, but never used it. I don't know how people market their SL businesses successfully to make a profit.

5. Creating Mesh items. I've never used Blender or similar programs. I've used a Mesh Generator tool, but it's been awhile since I last used it.

• Like 8

There's plenty I don't know about SL, since I've tended to get by with the least amount of study possible.Β  This is so I can get on with the fun bits.Β  By now there have been so many brilliant, creative, and diligent people producing things for others to buy that I don't even try any more.Β  I've also learned over the years that I'm really not very good at making even a little profit out of land rentals or sales.Β  This is almost certainly for the same reasons.

• Like 5

1. Scripting, like so many others here. Might as well be magic to me.
  2. Rentals, parcels, and land owning. Been a SL hobo my whole tenure here.
  3. How to figure out the UV maps ofΒ things in a decent amount of time.
  4. Why people interact with me MORE as a feral wolf avatar. I've had more people talk to me, come up to me, IM me in the past two hoursΒ since I bought the thing than in the past two months running around as a person.
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, cariboustag said:
  1. Β 
  2. Β 
  3. Β 
  4. Why people interact with me MORE as a feral wolf avatar. I've had more people talk to me, come up to me, IM me in the past two hoursΒ since I bought the thing than in the past two months running around as a person.

I think non-human avatars generally seem less threatening and more "cute".Β  The exception would be monsters since fewer people view monsters as non-threatening and cute.

Β 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

1. Scripting.

2. Not knowing until a few days ago if I had a male alt (I do) and a second computer (I do) I could log them in at the same time.

3. How land deeding works.

You don't even need a second computer to log both avatars in.Β  I've logged in a couple of mine at the same time on my laptop.

• Like 8

How to sail faster.Β  Even when I think Im doing great, and do a perfect lap, Im always dead last in the scoreboard, like a good 2 minutes behind in a 13-15 min lap. Eventhough Ive been sailing for a while, I guess I still dont know how to sail fast.

Oh, and scripting.

• Like 4

It would be much easier to tell you what I do know than to try to describe the things I don't know.Β 

I can move and rotate a prim. I can make a gesture.Β  I can modify a script to change the text if it has text.Β  I can unpack a box or pack some objects into a box. I can fly.Β  I can ride most moving objects.Β  I can cam.Β  I can travel by camming and sitting on things that are far away. I can set my cam somewhere and look in other directions.Β  I'm an excellent consumer of things other people create and sell.Β  I can perform all kinds of artistic gymnastics just give me a poseball and watch me dance.

I haven't got the patience to be a good role player.Β  I break the third wall too much. I've played with creating stuff but I lack the artistic talent to be any good at it.

• Like 4

third party viewers, ive never used one before because i thought the official viewer would be more secure. i dont know which viewers are trusted by which lindens? are any lindens within the security team able to sign off on any of the third party viewers is what I wonder about.Β 

i just started trying to learning rigging and rigid mesh like for rigging avatars without using addons. Ill get there eventually.

Β 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

third party viewers, ive never used one before because i thought the official viewer would be more secure. i dont know which viewers are trusted by which lindens? are any lindens within the security team able to sign off on any of the third party viewers is what I wonder about.Β 

i just started trying to learning rigging and rigid mesh like for rigging avatars without using addons. Ill get there eventually.

Β 

I'd have to say that the 10s of thousands if not 100s of thousands of people using a third party viewer without an influx of security complaints, would be testament enough on their security.Β  I've used Firestorm exclusively for as long as it's been around without a single issue.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Β 

The only approved 3rd party viewer I knew of that became questionable was Emerald.Β 

• Like 2

I really don't know all that much about anything here.I have never been able to devote the necessary time to learn.So I kind of learn things on the fly.There is a lot of really good info here,very helpful.I would love to learn how to design,scripting,animation just for the knowledge itself.Baby steps is okay for me,in no rush,probably wouldn't sell stuff.The most minor achievements give me the jump up and down happy dance feeling.But I am really good at shopping.πŸ€”

• Like 4

1. Scripting. I've tinkered with some and only managed to change colors on floating text, and make a prim talk by clicking on it.

2. Making mesh anything; clothes, furniture, etc.

3. How to drive without crashing into trees, houses, and security orbs.

4. How to get media settings to work so I can watch tv with friends. The SL viewer never wants to activate media for some reason, even after enabling it and relogging.

• Like 8

In my case it would be the creation of mesh items. I tried to make a cube once and ended up with one that had a few hundred LI after uploading. At that moment I knew that I should stick to scripting.

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Like 8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 872 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.