TV Peeves and Stuff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Commercials! Who needs 'em? It feels like Youtube is interrupting videos with ads every few minutes and it's always the same commercial. 

Youtube is basically unusable for business now - unless you want to play their "vanity at all costs" game.
I'll be shifting my business focus to my own website hosted videos in the future.
But my goal is to have a demonitised Youtube website that goes like THIS: (to their business model)...
taunt-tongue-out.gif.4564b500fab5e6bb4d29b95948ffb124.gif

• Like 2

I don’t even bother with cable anymore. I liked YouTube tv back when it was 35/mo. Now it’s 65? I get enough from Hulu, Disney+ and Amazon prime. I don’t feel like I’m missing anything.

I've discovered that I can just subscribe and unsubscribe from different services and there's no penalty. I only get Amazon prime when they offer a discount and then jump off as soon as I'm done watching the show I wanted to see. I also subscribed to HBO for one or two months whenever Game of Thrones came out. I have been a long time Netflix subscriber but I'll probably cancel and get it once in a while. If only someone can invent a website that automates and schedules subscriptions to different services. As they say in all the silicon valley startups, the website could "disrupt" the streaming services.

• Like 2

In the UK we have to have a TV license to legally watch or record ANY TV channel as it is being broadcast. That's totally wrong, imo. The license was to pay for the BBC so we should not have to have a license to watch other channels. We can watch catch-ups and such from any channel except the BBC, which is ok. That's my TV peeve.

Recently I realised that the license costs approximately the same as Netflix and Amazon Prime combined, so I cancelled it and got a refund. Now I use Amazon Prime and an Amazon Fire TV Stick, which gives me access to a load of stuff - almost too much stuff. I get free deliveries from Amazon which I use a lot, including free deliveries of my supermarket groceries. The company is very customer-centric and I'm very happy with them.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 7:57 AM, Anna Nova said:

(for 'mericans, Snooker is like Pool, for grown-ups.)

That is a terrible insult for snooker.  :D

If you watch Ronnie play it, it seems so simple doesn't it?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Haha 1

We gave up cable years ago for a roku. I think we paid 30.00 usd for the box. You can get things like , The Rain channel where it does nothing but rain, which is great for sleeping..

The railroad channel, where it's just hours of going down railroad tracks across all kinds of different weather and lands.. it's really relaxing and wouldn't recommend it if you have things to do..

There is just about any kind of channel you could think of on there.. You can find most of them for free..

You can pretty much get any movie channels you want, any streaming channels..

It's like picking your own package rather than a cable company saying what comes in a package.

• Like 1

Stupid ad. The correct phrase is "All that glisters is not gold", not glitters. Its taken from the William Shakespeare play, "The Merchant of Venice".

All that glisters is not gold—
Often have you heard that told.
Many a man his life hath sold
But my outside to behold.
Gilded tombs do worms enfold.
Had you been as wise as bold,
Young in limbs, in judgment old,
Your answer had not been inscrolled
Fare you well. Your suit is cold—

William Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice, Act II Scene 7
Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen

37 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Stupid ad. The correct phrase is "All that glisters is not gold", not glitters. Its from the William Shakespeare play, "The Merchant of Venice".

Prithee, Sarah, dear William is nought but a corse. His glistering prose doth suffer the slings and arrows of the marvellous and puissant passage of time. I beseech thee, gentle woman, perchance to forswear such protestations... because progress.

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=glitter%2Cglister&year_start=1800&year_end=2019&corpus=27&smoothing=3&case_insensitive=true&direct_url=t4%3B%2Cglitter%3B%2Cc0%3B%2Cs0%3B%3Bglitter%3B%2Cc0%3B%3BGlitter%3B%2Cc0%3B.t4%3B%2Cglister%3B%2Cc0%3B%2Cs0%3B%3Bglister%3B%2Cc0%3B%3BGlister%3B%2Cc0

https://abagond.wordpress.com/2016/05/07/words-shakespeare-used-that-are-no-longer-common/

• Thanks 1

Because netflix is only monthly, I join and then cancel and join again later then cancel again. The price just went up and my billing period just started and its at the higher rate, but like I have done before I canceled. Tried to watch something and I was locked out with three more weeks left on my billing period.

I will never go back to netflix again.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.