Leaving Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I will leave SL permanently On my friendlist are only friends who left SL years ago.
My contribution to this forum was a sort of last desperate act to find a new meaning for my second life.

After almost 16 years it is enough.

All the best for all of you.

• Sad 11

40 minutes ago, Ian Mercury said:

My contribution to this forum was a sort of last desperate act to find a new meaning for my second life.

I've enjoyed your jazz contributions.  I hope mine added something to your days too.

Keep searching. There's a lot of world out there.

• Like 5

As others have already said, many who say "I'm leaving forever"...and mean it at the time...eventually return. So, don't delete your account, just scale back to Basic (if you're Premium). Then it won't be a big problem if you DO change your mind.

(I'm an example. I left for a bit over a year, and didn't miss it. But some friends convinced me to come back! So, here I am.)

In any event, we'll keep a light on for you, as the Motel 6 ads used to say.

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

I've had 2 breaks. One was for over 12 months.
SL can be a wild rollercoaster ride of positive & negative emotions.
It would be lovely to welcome you back at some stage in the future. 😉

Try to stay positive!

• Like 1

Sometimes the meaning we yearn for isn’t the meaning we end up receiving. A quick glance at the comments here and the contributions you’ve made on this forum suggest you’ve made an impact. I’d say that counts for something. Even I’ve been curious about sail boats due to some of your posts. I hope you find that thing which gives you the meaning you desire. Good luck.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ian Mercury said:

I will leave SL permanently On my friendlist are only friends who left SL years ago.

After almost 16 years it is enough.

All the best for all of you.

So long and thanks for all the fish? Sorry. I have no idea who you are/were. I've been in SL off and on since 2004. Nothing wrong with that.

1ljqv2.gif

• Like 3

I've been in the same spot for other virtual words, such as World of Warcraft - as silly as that sounds.  It can become quite the routine logging into a virtual world, feeling excited about being there, reading the news regarding it and just engaging in a fantasy world that could never exist in reality.  Eventually, the novelty of it wore off and I found myself participating in their forums more, then being turned off by the forums and slowly leaving.  I think the hardest part is trying to find something new to occupy your time with, at least it was that way with me.  Spending so many hours a day for a few years doing the same thing leaves you with a lot of extra time.  

Eventually I grew out of it, found other games and life went on.  Of course, every now and then I will visit MMORPGs but not to any extent that I used to.  Regardless, I know how it may feel, and I also know leaving behind a message offers a level of closure - on the WoW forums many people would leave such a thread and get ridiculed but I understood it and what it meant to them, it was a pretty big sacrifice for a lot of people who had grown attached to that virtual world. I wish you the best Ian, and I hope you find something that keeps your mind active and busy with new wonders to explore and learn.  Of course, SL will probably be there for a long time and a departure from it for a period of time may reignite the passion you may have once found here - which would also be great.

Take care 🤗🥰

Edited by Istelathis
*Not always
  • Like 3

Thank you for the heart warming reactions. Some of them brought a tear to my eyes.
I never realized that my messages and pictures on the forum had such a serious impact.

Nevertheless I need a break from SL. I will not delete my account and maybe I will return in the future. Time will tell.

Love, Ian

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

I totally get this tho. I started SL in my early 20s and had really fun, me and some RL friends built communities and we had just fun clowning around, exploring, building, getting dressed up in our freetime. The older we got the less we all met inworld, we finished university got better jobs, married, kids. I had a time were I only logged in to blog anymore for a short time and then it all lead to a 5 year break. No reason for taking the break, other than life was happening. And a little over a year or so before the pandemic hit I was like uh I wonder if my AV is still alive XD 

Logged in and was like aww I still look cute...then saw mesh AVs allover ...and was like duh challenge accepted XD And thanks to lockdowns and Home-Office I am still here, although I mainly decorate our little parcel, get dressed up or am exploring with RL friends (who also revived their accounts during lockdown XD )and RL family. We enjoy it differently now, in a way that would have not satisfied me back then, but now it's totally perfect for me and my RL the way it is. Not social at all but I am socially awkward with strangers anyways online XD but at my own pace.

Sometimes we need a little distance to treasure certain things more or again at all. And if your life turns out to never involve SL again ...I bet you still have a lot of memories that make you smile once in while. 

I hope life will treat you nicely 💗

Edited by Gwin LeShelle
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.